Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Is that something we THINK or something we tell him?
If we tell him it's 8
We have way too low of law and order scores to say anything but that, but boy, do we love our honor. (we can't demand 'em to be lawful, because we repeatedly acted in non-lawful manner, sometimes for our own gain)
I would specifically like to point out that telling someone "Hey i want a loyal guy" especially worded like 5 or 4, is basically equivalent to telling em they are untrustworthy which is rude af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Looks like we're asking for honesty and loyalty from Dan Schmidt.

quote:

"Honesty and loyalty, that's what I need from a deputy."

"I can manage that," Dan replies.

(Honor and Order slightly increased, Law slightly decreased) (+2 Honor, +2 Order, +1 Law. Yeah, it says "decreased", but that's not what the game does)

"But what I really need is a deputy I can count on. Someone who can hold their own against man or beast."

quote:

"I can do that, but I can't stay forever," Dan says. "I mean, I got to move on sooner or later, but if you need half a year to settle things, then I'm your man." (+2 Schmidt)

With that out of the way, you pin the tin star to his shirt.
Flip him the tin star.

quote:

Dan lets the tin star land atop his chest and retrieves it readily, "I get you, but I can't stay forever. I mean, I got to move on sooner or later, but if you need half a year to settle things, then I'm your man."

He pins the badge to his shirt and that settles that.

You step out onto the street with Dan just behind you like a walking wall. But still he calls out to a pair of idle prospectors by name and comments appreciatively on a red scarf that a woman folds nearby.

(Brawling and Persuasion increased) (+4 Brawling, +4 Persuasion)

We've got ourselves a fine deputy.

quote:

The flutter of pages catches your ear and you turn to find Jeff Donner idly reading a dime novel in the lee of a building.

"Isn't it a bit cold out for that?"

quote:

Jeff glances up at last and blinks as he meets your eyes, "Not really, no."
Step closer to him.

quote:

Jeff glances up at last and blinks as he meets your eyes, "Oh, hey Marshal. I didn't notice you there."
Ignore him and continue my stroll.

quote:

The book in his hands is a crinkly thing better seen in an outhouse but the title is what catches your eye. 'The Six-Gun Tribe's Revenge!' it boldly declares. Two figures adorn the front cover; the first is of an Indian wielding two improbably large pistols and wearing half a dozen more in a bandolier, while the second is most definitely you. Below it lies the author's name in bold black script: Martin Baldwin.

"Good story?"

quote:

"Terrible," Jeff answers back without so much as a pause. "But I'm in there for some reason. Just a bit part, he calls me the 'Big Butcher' and has got me hacking off the head of two Braves with a single blow."
"Six-Gun Tribe?"

quote:

"Yeah, it ain't real but it sounds good don't it?" Jeff replies. "I mean, they all wear pistols but only ones that have been taken from the bodies of those they have killed. Their iron is paid for by blood."
"I never fought an Indian like that."

quote:

"No?" Jeff asks. "I mean, it'd fit with all the other tales..."
Just shake my head.

quote:

"It's fantasy," Jeff offers over. "Out here we know its not true, but for people back east... well, its not like they get out to these parts any time soon."

quote:

"Martin Baldwin…?"

quote:

"Martin is an odd fellow," Jeff notes then gives a little chuckle. "He comes up every couple of weeks for a bit of beef, chews the fat with me. He hears all sorts of odd things that come over the telegraph. Sometimes I wonder if he lives on the wires."
Point to the author's name.

quote:

"Oh, Martin?" Jeff asks then gives a little chuckle. "Yeah, an odd fellow. He comes up every couple of weeks for a bit of beef, chews the fat with me. He hears all sorts of odd things that come over the telegraph. Sometimes I wonder if he lives on the wires."
"Martin Baldwin…the telegraph operator?"

quote:

"Yeah, that's him," Jeff notes. "He's an odd fellow. He comes up every couple of weeks for a bit of beef, chews the fat with me. He hears all sorts of odd things that come over the telegraph. Sometimes I wonder if he lives on the wires."

"Me too."

quote:

"It seems to work for him," Jeff notes as he returns to his reading and ignores a shift of snowflakes.
"I think he's in for a shock."

quote:

"He tries to avoid those," Jeff replies as he returns to his reading and ignores a shift of snowflakes.
Turn away.

quote:

Jeff returns to his reading and ignores a shift of snowflakes.

Head down to Elko and confront Martin Baldwin.
Ignore it and get on with my day.

Honestly, have we ever been the type to ignore a side plot?

quote:

Head down to Elko and confront Martin Baldwin.

Elko is as snow covered as the rest of the land but with a white sweep of the river beside and copper wires overhead. Those shiny lengths stretch out east and west as part of the trans-continental telegraph. The signal shack for it is likewise snow and ice free, right down to the oak boards and shuttered windows.

A steady tap resonates out from within as does the crackle-pop of lightning. Then the taps stop and footfalls rise up. A moment later, Martin steps out. His whiskers have grown in a bit from last you saw him to make for a more dignified showing of the man. Those glasses though have only gotten thicker.

"Marshal?" he asks as he steps out and idly fingers an unlit cigar in hand. "What brings you by? Is there another trial pending?"

"What I need from you concerns those stories you publish."

quote:

"Ah, crap. I knew I shouldn't have used my real name," Martin notes with a sigh and invites you to step in out of the cold. "But I started sending them out that way and once they got published, well, they didn't want to lose sales by changing the name."
"Get back in the shack."

quote:

"What... Oh no..." he sputters as you push him across the threshold. "If this is about you and those dime novels, I can explain."
Stare him down.

quote:

It takes but a handful of heartbeats for him to sweat and then cough out his worries.

"Look, if it is about the dime novels... I can explain," he pleads and gestures for the two of you to step inside the shack.

quote:

"Explain, but be quick."
"It just started off with me tapping out the happenings around here. The other operators liked it, so…I embellished things a little. They liked that even more. Before I knew it, I had a publisher from New York on the line, asking me to deliver to him twenty pages of authentic western tales," Martin says. "It was easy at first, but then I ran out of tales and…well, then you came along.

"I didn't mean no disrespect to you but…they kept changing things over in New York. Punching it up they said, like a sock in the jaw. The stories are only about half mine now. I'd have refused them entirely, but they were already printing the books so it didn't matter if I said no."

"Are you secretly using your position as a telegraph operator to put people into danger so you can get more stories to write?"
"What? No!" Martin says with an earnest shake of his head. "That's horrible. Absolutely horrible. How could you even think that?"

He stares off into the distance for a long moment, "Though that could make for an interesting premise."

"You wrote about the Red Ribbon mining site, didn't you?"
"Yep," Martin says with a knowing smile. "I had to do it. Everyone wanted to know what happened, so I gave them the story they wanted."

(Engineering and Explosives slightly increased) (+2 Engineering, +2 Explosives)

Figure out what to do about Martin writing these terrible, awful and inaccurate dime novels.

quote:

1. "I don't mind you concocting tales with my name on it, but I do want to be shown in the most epic light."
2. "Just give me a cut of the cash and we'll call it even."
3. "I want you to strike up the darkest tales you can think of and put my name to it so that everyone fears me."
4. "I want you to depict me as the most terrifying, but proper, Marshal you can manage."
5. "I want you to depict me as a Marshal who will never back down."
6. "Don't write about me ever again."
He has to be silenced, permanently.

quote:

You pistol rides heavy at hip. Your obsidian war-ax is never far either. The jar of copper sulfate that he submerges the zinc electrodes into in order to create electricity is also at hand.

7. Pistol
8. Obsidian war-ax
9. Force him to inhale the fumes from the copper sulfate.

How are we going to settle things with our ghost-writer?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We're fine with the novels. Let us know when there's a new one so we can do a signing session?

"I want you to depict me as the most terrifying, but proper, Marshal you can manage."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

We're fine with the novels. Let us know when there's a new one so we can do a signing session?

"I want you to depict me as the most terrifying, but proper, Marshal you can manage."

yeah, that sounds on point. Lol at the selection of ways to murder him though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

terrifying, but proper

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
War axe to the head.

Just to be contrarian.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Make us Terrifying but proper, maybe a descendant or Guan Yu or Yu Jin, 2 ancient Chinese generals who fit that description.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
5. "I want you to depict me as a Marshal who will never back down."

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Terrifying but proper

Man, Roulen could be quite the stone cold killer if we played this differently.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
It's been good to us so far, so why put a stop to it? We shall be known for our ferocity!

quote:

"Can do," Martin nods. "I imagine you have plenty of grim stories that would help me depict you just right."

He offers you a seat and you lay out a few tales between the occasional tap of the telegraph. By the time you return to Preston Springs, Martin has the makings for dozens of stories.

(Intimidate increased) (+5 Intimidate)

Skip the window shopping this time around.
Get in touch with Jeff Donner.
Head over to the Saddler.
Step on over to the General Store.
See if Godfrey the gunsmith has gotten anything new in stock.
Employ some idle men to work on my land.
Head to the Blacksmith.
Stop in to see Julie, the newly arrived undertaker.

It's shopping time, but first let's check up on the newest arrival.

quote:

Stop in to see Julie, the newly arrived undertaker. (+2 Marshal James)

The undertaker's is a little place off the main street; little more than two homes set side by side. The first is an ordinary sort with white frosted windows shuttered against the cold. The other bears an empty coffin before it along with the sign 'Julie Moore, Professional Undertaker. Winter Storage Available.'

You catch sight of a woman in black within, her dark hair coiffed and white gloves tidy. When Julie looks over she deflates ever so slightly, no doubt recalling her first fumed filled meeting with you.

She opens the door and doesn't quite smile, "Marshal, I wondered when I would see you again."

"I make it a point to meet everyone who comes into town."

quote:

"Laudable. I could say the same, but only when they leave for a final time," she replies. "Please come in. I have no pressing business, and I assure you, my jars of embalming fluids are tightly sealed this time." (+2 Marshal James)
"How are you doing, Julie?"

quote:

"I am much recovered. The effects of fume inhalation from the broken jar of embalming fluid appear to have passed," she notes. "Won't you please come in?"
Nod.

quote:

"Loquacious as always," she notes. "You need not fear I shall fill your silences, the effects of my fume inhalation from the broken jar of embalming fluid have passed. Won't you please come in?"

quote:

Her grieving parlor is a simple affair. A host of unlit candles lie scattered about while the whole of table and chairs are covered in black crepe and equally dignified lace. A tome labeled 'Coffins and Markers' lies to one side near a tea-pot and saucers. All in all, a dignified sort of place that is at steady odds with the gaudy din of the saloons.

"Have you had much business?"
"A little. A fellow died of the cold just a few days back and his friends all chipped in to get him a marker," Julie says. "No coffin though. Which, to be honest, is fine by me as I have had trouble acquiring laudable wood."

"What sort of services do you offer?"
"A simple selection as of present. Embalming, coffin, burial and marker," she explains. "Though there is little need for embalming with the winter as it stands, little wood is to be had for coffins and the ground is still frozen besides."

"You came late to things."
"Alas, I did. And yet, I needed to be here," she replies with a subtle hint of a grin. "How else to start than to be present?" (+2 Marshal James)

"Where are you from originally?"
"I am a Kansas girl originally, but I moved east when the troubles started. After my education, I took a leap and came out to California. Sadly, things did not work out and so I am here," she notes and doesn't bother to shrug.

"Things did not work out for you?"
"There are those who think a woman should not be in my particular trade," Julie notes. "To which I say 'Who among us is spared an ending?' Even so, I had to travel to the frontier to work in the field that I prefer." (+2 Marshal James)

"Is there anything I can help you with?"
Wait for her to say something.

quote:

"There may be cause for me to visit you from time to time, Marshal," Julie indicates. "You see, I am often the first place that a body is brought. I am therefore often the first to see if there has been foul play or not. After determining such, I would naturally come to you. Does that seem appropriate?"

1. "It is."
2. "I appreciate your sense of decorum in these matters."
3. "That is how it must be."
4. Nod.

We can figure out how to respond to her offer of aid...

quote:

A soft scrap rises up near the door where a trio of men remove their caps as they wait to enter.

"Ah, they've returned," she notes and absently lights a candle to brighten the room a little. "If you will please excuse me..."

1. "Have a good day now.
"I almost forgot, there is an internal tax on businesses due at the end of the month."

quote:

"I have heard of that practice around here," she replies evenly. "It is a pity I shall have to endure it before I am well set up."

2. "Yes, a pity."
3. "I'll make an exception for you until spring."
4. "Forget I ever mentioned it."
"Before I go, my pockets are light, if you take my meaning."

quote:

"I had heard that about you. From sundry sources. And I also know you are not one to cross," she says as she retrieves a pair of gold coins from a little pouch at her belt. "Here. I have no pressing need of these."

5. "On second though, I would not want to deprive you of your business tools."
6. "These coins have laid on the eyes of the dead... excellent."
7. "I only need one of those."
8. "I'd prefer silver."

...and figure out if we need anything else from her.

Then it's over to catch up with the butcher.

quote:

Get in touch with Jeff Donner.

You saunter over to Jeff Donner's butchery and find it closed up tight with not a calf in sight. A walk over to his house finds his stove hot and the man asleep under heavy covers.

1. "Jeff?"
2. Leave the man be.
3. Bang on the door.

After we figure out what to do with him, it's on to our shopping trip. We have something like 13 wealth plus the opportunity to get some more with another autograph session. Not a whole lot left to buy.

Saddler
-Saddle for Maria: 2 wealth, is a gift for Maria (we can get it for free)

General Store
-New book: Another dime novel about our exploits has come in, we have the opportunity to autograph it for fame and profit (+2 wealth if we autograph 1 copy, +4 wealth if we autograph 12)

Gun Shop
-Trade Weapon: No net costs, just exchange our current pistol (Colt Walker) for one of the ones in stock (Colt Walker, Nickle thirty-two, Smith & Wesson Model one). So trading our big gun for either the tiny gun or the fast-loading one.
-Pistol maintenance: 1 wealth, boosts Gunfighting
-Rifle sights upgrade 3: 3 wealth, boosts Sharpshooting even further
-Fine grain powder: 3 wealth, boost Gunfighting and Sharpshooting

Blacksmith
Closed for the winter.

Construction Stuff
-Idle men: 1 wealth, helps build things faster
-Materials for your home: 3 wealth, used for improving our house

So, what do we say to Julie's offer of aid, what do we say to her before leaving, what do we do about Jeff and what do we want to buy?

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy. Miss Caraway, gunslinger.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Three months salary in your pockets.
Values:
Order: 77% Freedom: 23%
Honor: 98% Arbitrary: 2%
Law: 83% Individuality: 17%
Notoriety: 12% Anonymity: 88%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 64%
Sharpshooting: 47%
Brawling: 46%
Riding: 41%
Survival: 48%
Legal: 30%
Engineering: 20%
Explosives: 33%
Persuasion: 64%
Intimidate: 64%
Stamina: 38%
Resolve: 57%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 77%
Influence Schmidt: 103%
Influence Caraway: 112%
Influence Preston: 124%
Influence Hartigan: 45%
Influence Albion: 69%
Influence Maria: 135%
Influence Marshal James: 63%
Influence Yiska: 109%

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

It is how it must be. Coroners ARE important and this one apparently either was sent by or actually IS marshal James. Heck of an interface spoiler there.
No extortion, we aren't Preston and we are not a morbid enough character to desire gold coins from the eyes of the dead(even though it would be kickin' rad I'm not getting cursed for 1-2 wealth)
Bang. What i see described here is a textbook case of carbon suicide, so, like, if possible, break that door down and bring the man out.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 3, 2018

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
It is what it is
Have a good day - No Extortion
Bang on Door

Buy
Saddle for Maria - Free if we can
Autograph 12 copies (+4 Wealth)
Conscrution - Idle Men + Materials (Cost 4 Wealth)
Pistol Maintenance + Rifle Sights + Fine Grain Powder (7 Wealth)

Currently have 13 Wealth, +4 for autographing, Costs us 11 so we have 6 left.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

wedgekree posted:

It is what it is
Have a good day - No Extortion
Bang on Door

Buy
Saddle for Maria - Free if we can
Autograph 12 copies (+4 Wealth)
Conscrution - Idle Men + Materials (Cost 4 Wealth)
Pistol Maintenance + Rifle Sights + Fine Grain Powder (7 Wealth)

Currently have 13 Wealth, +4 for autographing, Costs us 11 so we have 6 left.

This sounds good to me.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

2. "I appreciate your sense of decorum in these matters."

1. "Have a good day now.

1. "Jeff?"

We don’t extort the locals to line our pockets; we’re after far bigger game.

As for shopping, if we do another autograph session, we can afford all options, yes?

If so, Autogragh some books and buy all the things.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Seems like a fine plan.

quote:

"It is."

"I agree," she replies and leaves things as that.

(Resolve slightly increased) (+3 Resolve)

No need to extort anyone- if we want money we just need to find someone who will give it to us.

quote:

"Have a good day now."

"And to you, Marshal," she replies earnestly and sees you to the door. (+5 Marshal James)

Jeff is in peril, we must intervene!

quote:

Bang on the door.

Jeff Donner snorts himself away and fumbles out of bed.

"I'm up, I'm up," he mumbles out as he sits up.

The two of you talk a while but he proves astoundingly incoherent until at last he just slips between the covers in mid-sentence and goes back to sleep.

(Intimidate slightly increased) (+3 Intimidate)

False alarm.

quote:

Head to the Blacksmith.

Kevin's forge is cold and dark. Of the man himself, there is no sign.

quote:

Head over to the Saddler.

You step over to Timothy's place and find it as busy as ever.

Timothy is hip deep in sorting and storing hides when you enter; a whole raft of them.

"How's that saddle working out for you?" he asks.

"Actually, I was wondering something.…"

quote:

"What do you need to know?"

(Persuasion very slightly increased) (+1 Persuasion)

"You seen any strangers around town?"

quote:

"Of course. There's always people coming and going," Timothy notes, "but everyone's talking about that woman prisoner you brought in. Was she really wearing a frilly silk dress? I mean, that's peculiar."
"Any unusual orders?"

quote:

"Lots of people coming in for rifle cases and pistol covers, as usual. Cause if you let the cold get to them, they'll freeze up on you," Timothy points out.
"You still interested in going aloft in a balloon?"

quote:

"I am. I am wholly that," Timothy notes. "If you could arrange it come spring, I'd be much obliged."

"I'd like to discuss a new saddle for Maria Agustina. Something practical."

"Miss Maria, the noble lady?" Timothy asks politely. "Well, I think I've got a lead on how women like their saddles seeing how Miss Caraway ain't punched me none, but I want to hear what you say." (+1 Wealth)

You quickly sketch some ideas out. The twist or narrowest part of the saddle seems of special concern. The two of you spend some time discussing that and a few other things.

"I think this one will be on me," Timothy says, "Cause it'll take no time at all what with me dreaming of floating in that balloon."

"That's all for now, thanks."
"Then you have a great day," Timothy says and clearly means it.

Fun thing just happened. Normally making a saddle for Maria is more expensive due to the fact that he's got to design one for someone wearing a dress and riding side-saddle. But if he designed Carrie's saddle then he has more experience with it and the game gives you +1 wealth to offset the cost. But since we brought up the balloon he's willing to make the saddle for free, so we just got paid to have him make a free gift.

quote:

Step on over to the General Store.

"Welcome back, Marshal," Matthew waves to you from behind the counter as you enter. About his shoulders a buffalo hide coat all but engulfs him. "Take a careful look about, we might have something new."

"Got a moment to talk?"
"Nothing to do in winter but talk and drink," Matthew tenders over. "And sit by the fire, telling stories. Come to think of it, winter out here ain't so bad after all."

"That book says 'The Marshal in the Steel Mirror'. Does that mean what I think it does?"
Matthew gives a little chuckle as he takes the book off the shelf where it had been prominently displayed, "Its about you and that Steele fella, and before you ask, I had it shipped out here special just for you."

A simple flip through the book finds that a stern and forbidding marshal arrested the false brethren and arranged for a trial before the entire of Preston Springs. The miscreant was found guilty and sentenced to many years in jail for his affront to the law. Afterward, brandy and coffee were served to jurors and Marshal alike.

"Who writes these?"

quote:

Matthew points to the front page where 'written by M. Baldwin' is clearly indicated, "I don't know the man. If it is a man. But he hears darn near anything that happens round these parts."
"Where does this writer get his facts?"

quote:

"I think the writer, M. Baldwin, makes them up as he goes. At least, some of them," Matthew notes. "So, you keeping the copy then?"
"I really want to have a talk with this M. Baldwin who writes these."

quote:

"I imagine you do," Matthew agrees. "Lot of people would like that. He, if it is a he, has got an ear for everything that goes on around these parts."

Pass it back to Matthew.
Autograph it, pass it back.

quote:

"A fine arrangement we have, Marshal," Matthew says and passes over a tidy sum of silver. "I've got eleven more in back, if you want to take a pen to them."

Push the money back to Matthew.
Sign all twelve.

quote:

You sign one after the other. It is a small thing for your wrist but a larger one for your pockets.

"Thank you kindly," Matthew replies and adds coins to your stack.

(Wealth increased, Notoriety slightly increased) (+4 Wealth, +2 Notoriety)
Shake my head.
Buy it. Keep it.

"Be seeing you, Matthew."
You head back on out and let Matthew return to tending his store.

Now we buy everything we can.

quote:

Employ some idle men to work on my land.

Idle hands are a ready thing in Preston Springs in winter. There just isn't all that much to do what with the snow and all.

Paying them a little to start and the rest to follow proves to be enough motivation to get them moving toward your lot in the center of town.

(Wealth slightly reduced) (-1 Wealth, 17 total)

I don't actually recall seeing the option to buy materials, which means we may still have some left over from last time. In the event that I somehow bought it and forgot to copy it down, here's the text.

quote:

Purchase some materials for my homestead.

Good wood is always expensive out here and you'll need plenty of it for the guest house, extended porch, and maybe a gazebo. Glass and metal framing too. Fortunately, being the Marshal gives you a little leeway with things. People around town are all too willing to help you out.

(Wealth slightly reduced, Materials obtained) (-3 Wealth)

Anyway, time for guns.

quote:

See if Godfrey the gunsmith has gotten anything new in stock.

The shop sign in front of Godfrey's has been freshly painted once again and reads 'Winter is nature's way of telling you to practice shooting targets' in black letters half a foot high.

A small cluster of Saints in white shirts make a sizable purchase, accepting a dozen rifles and several handguns in exchange for a single slip of paper.

Godfrey glances over as you enter. His bald head is polished bright in the winter light, "Marshal, be with you in a minute."

Ben nods over at the white shirted fellows. "Morning Brother," he says to them in an friendly tone.

"Morning Brother," the foremost of them replies and catches how neatly the Cowboy stands with you. "A fine morning." (+2 Albion)

The Saints exit with many a nod in your direction; their new purchases in hand.

"Those Saints…"

quote:

"Best customers I've had in weeks. They couldn't pay in coin but that's a small thing with them," Godfrey explains.

"How did they pay then?"

quote:

"With a promissory note," Godfrey says then holds up the signed slip of paper. "Normally I don't accept those, but they've got a good reputation for settling their debts. And they will settle them, even if they have to come down and sweat out the silver."
"Not in coin? What do you mean?"

quote:

"Ever seen a promissory note?" Godfrey asks then holds up a slip of paper with a signed signature and a impressive number. "It stands in for the silver they don't have but can get by bartering or sweating to pay it back."
"What was that paper they passed you?"

quote:

"A promissory note for goods and services," Godfrey explains. "They agreed to barter with Matthew at the General Store and he'd write off a portion of the note. If there is anything left come spring, they'll come down and sweat out the difference."

"What do you mean by 'sweat'?"
"Oh, I intend to have a dry-room dug out for my powder," Godfrey tells you. "The mice keep getting in. I figure a room dug down, lined with rock and sealed with cement ought to keep the varmints at bay. It'll take a pretty penny, but with the way the long-arms have been selling, I won't have a problem with finding any of those."

"Got anything new?"
"I do," Godfrey nods and sets his bald head wrinkling to accompany his grin. "With all that's been happening, I sprang for a shipment that Wells Fargo brought in just before that first snow. And I'd be happy to show it to you too."

"I'd like to buy something."
"And I love to sell," Godfrey replies as he reaches under the counter and returns with a weight of war.

quote:

"Is that fine grain powder?"

quote:

"It is," Godfrey notes. "Came all the way from Rock Island. It burns pure and fast like you wouldn't believe. Good for rifle or pistol as you prefer."

"Too pricey, and I've already got powder."
"I'll take it."

"A good buy," Godfrey says and tenders over the quarter barrel.

(Wealth slightly decreased, Gunfighting and Sharpshooting slightly increased) (-3 Wealth, +3 Gunfighting, +3 Sharpshooting)
"That's a new scope."

quote:

"It's a Malcolm twenty-power. Hand made by the man himself," Godfrey says. "At least that's what I was told. Either way, it zeroes out at three hundred yards and will split a dime into two nickels."

"Too pricey."
"I'll take it."

"I expected that you would. If not, I'd be keeping it for myself," Godfrey says.

The twenty power scope replaces the six power scope on your rifle and it is a thing of beauty.

(Wealth slightly decreased, Sharpshooting increased) (-3 Wealth, +5 Sharpshooting)
"Let me take a look at your handguns."
"I'd like you to give my Colt Walker a thorough looking at."
"Easy enough," Godfrey says as he sets out a full kit of oils and delicate tools. "That's the trouble out here, things get wet when you think its dry and rust tries to creep in. And when winter comes, well, the cold does things to the metal that makes me curse."

You watch him get to work. It is a meticulous effort, sparing no component a pondering or sometimes a rub; done more by feel than anything else. By the time he's got it back together, you know this particular weapon inside and out.

(Gunfighting slightly increased, Wealth very slightly decreased) (+2 Gunfighting, -1 Wealth- 10 total)

"I've got a few questions about black powder."
"I'm sure you do," Godfrey says. "And for a marshal I've got the time to answer."

(Explosives and Engineering slightly increased) (+2 Explosives, +2 Engineering)

"I've got to go, Godfrey. Take care now."
"You too Marshal," Godfrey says and waves you on out the door.

quote:

Head out on the town.
Drop in on Preston and have a talk.

Let's see what Preston's up to.

quote:

Drop in on Preston and have a talk.

J.T. Preston is easy to find, you just follow the blue tobacco smoke that fairly streams out of the Babylon Saloon and there, in the back by the fire, sits Preston at a long card table. His gold watch has been polished and set nearby and his suit is immaculate. Seated at the same table are three fellows clad in thick jackets and riding boots over fine suits with eastern pleats. Each has a studied air about them as if they were clad in their best and accustomed to wearing such. Their beards are trim and neat, and not a fingernail bears a hint of dirt.

The game they play is poker but the pot is a tiny one compared to most. Pennies and nickles, not little of gold dust and silver nuggets.

Preston looks up then lets a smile show, "Why, Ruolan, come and meet these gentlemen. Gentlemen, this is the county Marshal. Now, if you are asking what a celestial woman is doing wearing a tin star, I can honestly tell you not to bother because we have not had a more agreeable law-enforcer around these parts in years."

"Good to see you too."

quote:

"Glorious understatement is the Marshal's specialty," Preston notes as he idly shuffles his hand of cards.
"Gentlemen…"

quote:

They all stand up and give you a respectful nod. And that seems to be that.

"Allow me to make the introductions," Preston offers readily.
Take a seat nearby.

quote:

The men all stand up until you have sat again.

"Allow me to make the introductions," Preston offers.

quote:

"The man to the left of me is Mister Vanderfort, special Aide to Governor Stanford out of California. The others are Mister Bradley and Whitmere, of the Central Pacific railroad."

"We are one of the worst kept secrets about," Vanderfort notes and idly strokes a fine dark beard seamlessly connected to a luxurious mustache that even Preston seems to envy. "Our mission had been to discuss the upcoming spring construction season with Brigham Young in advance of the arrival of Governor Stanford."

The other two men shake their heads gently.

"It is indeed the worst kept secret," Preston agrees. "I knew precisely who they were the moment they stepped off the stagecoach."

The admission sets Vanderfort back in his seat and he tenders over a thinly exasperated look, "Rumors travel fast. Why, they were here long before we were. This sort of mission was expected by everyone. Was it not?"

"I had no idea you were coming."

quote:

"How refreshing," Vanderfort considers almost fondly. "Even so, I am glad that we came in winter, this being Indian and Bandit country. I worry that when the graders for the railroad come through these parts, that both will prove troublesome."
"It was."

quote:

"Indeed," Vanderfort notes. "And I am glad that we came in winter, this being Indian and bandit country. I worry that when the graders for the railroad come through these parts, that both will prove troublesome."

quote:

"The railroad is coming?"
"Indeed. Next year, there will be graders all through this county, staking and tending to the proposed line. God willing, there will be iron to follow as well," Vanderfort notes.

"Do you expect trouble here?"
"We have had reports sent to us concerning this portion of Nevada," Vanderfort says. "None of them good. There are many reasons to avoid this stretch, excepting that we must have it for geographical purposes."

"Geographical purposes?"
"Yes, the rail lines from west to east must meet the line coming east to west," Vanderfort explains. "The Union Pacific, our competitor and ally, is laying their own track through Wyoming and the government of the United States has decided that we shall meet somewhere in Northern Utah. Thus, we must proceed through this portion of Nevada, no matter what."

The three men explain some of the many difficulties involved with laying rail out this way, everything from the maximum height the rails can ascend per mile to the softness of local wood for rail-ties and even the purity of water for cooling the steam powered locomotives.

(Engineering increased) (+4 Engineering)

"Are you worried about bandits?"
"That would seem prudent. Hopefully most of the bandits can be dissuaded with a rifle or two," Vanderfort considers.

"Do you feel there is much to fear from Indians?"
"Of course. Things are still uneasy out here, no matter what that Shoshone chief…Washankie? Whatever he claims. After all, the Shoshone are not the only tribe out this way," Vanderfort points out.

"Have you thought about establishing a railroad station at Preston Springs?"

quote:

"No, I can't say that we did. The topography is our guiding force," Vanderfort explains. "Though some have argued subtly for that."

Nearby, Preston shifts uncomfortably.

"Oh, I see."

quote:

The men at the table continue their game.
"The river cross here has ends of solid granite that very nearly touch."

quote:

"Really?" Vanderfort asks. "I hadn't known that. We didn't do a survey of that."

He and the other men look thoughtfully at one another. Then one of them nods and you know, just know, that some momentous decision has been reached.

"An easy crossing is always a valuable thing," Vanderfort says simply and then men resume their game.

Tell him my further thoughts.

Fortunately, that last-minute discussion of gunpowder and geological surveying was just enough to push our engineering over the threshold and we were able to inform them of the benefits of Preston Springs.

quote:

"Yes, things will be interesting out this way."

quote:

"We can certainly agree on that," Vanderfort notes and returns to his game."

(Persuasion slightly increased) (+2 Persuasion)
"You can take heart in knowing that a band of bandits and Indians has been recently…dispersed."

quote:

"Have they been? Splendid," Vanderfort notes. "It was good to speak with you."

After the usual farewells the men return to their game.",

(Persuasion and Resolve slightly increased) (+2 Persuasion, +2 Resolve)
"I have recently captured one of the masterminds behind the troubles here in Lander county and intend to interrogate her soon."

quote:

"Well done," Vanderfort says honestly. "Find out who she is and I can attest that the Central Pacific will compensate you for your many troubles."

(Resolve, Persuasion, Intimidate, and Wealth slightly increased) (+2 Resolve, +2 Persuasion, +2 Intimidate, +2 Wealth- 12 total)

After a round of hearty farewells, the men return to their game.

Capturing Regina worked out pretty well for us. With that taken care of it's time to head out on the town...

quote:

Head out on the town

As you step out into the street, your eye falls upon a peculiar sight. Well, not so peculiar really. Carrie has her gun drawn but this time she has sighted down on someone you care about.

Maria Agustina, etc, does not cower before the threat. Indeed, her golden haired body-guard has both his shotguns out and raised beside her. But even with that thunderous threat hanging over her, Carrie lets fly a stream of invective that promises all manner of improbable and yet terrible things.

1. Step in front of Carrie and stop her cursing with a kiss.
2. Pull my pistol and defend Maria.
3. Shake my head and walk away from the whole thing.
4. Step in between the two of them before either of them gets hurt.
5. Whistle sharply to gain both of their attention.
6. "Ladies!"

Well, poo poo.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
4 Step in Between the Two

This is possibly the best worst way to deescalate!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it’s hilarious to yell ladies.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Step between the two sides. Gulp!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kissing carrie will just make hot blooded latina order her henchman to double shotgun us right in the fuckin face

Yell LADIES

Also, lightwarden is still suffering under the newbie av, someone do the needful

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

6. "Ladies!"

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ladies!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Laddies!
And my axe!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
We are already in deep poo poo, might as well step in.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

Normally making a saddle for Maria is more expensive due to the fact that he's got to design one for someone wearing a dress and riding side-saddle. But if he designed Carrie's saddle then he has more experience with it and the game gives you +1 wealth to offset the cost.

I have a difficult time believing that Carrie rides side-saddle. :colbert:

Vote: 4. Step in between the two of them before either of them gets hurt.

This is a baaaaad idea, because it ain’t Maria holding them shotguns, and her bodyguard has no special feelings for us.

Still, better than the other options though.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
She doesn’t ride side-saddle, Tim mentions that. But she is of similar size and build, plus experience is experience.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to get their attention.

quote:

"Ladies!"

Maria glances over at you and tenders a relieved smile.

Carrie follows the Countessa's gaze and finds you standing there. She lowers her weapon ever so slightly, "What?"

Alternatively, if we'd gone with the runner-up...

quote:

Step in between the two of them before either of them gets hurt.

Carrie lowers her pistol the instant she sees you. A moment later Maria speaks a soft word and her bodyguard lowers his shotguns.

"You want to get out of my way there, Ruolan?" Carrie asks. "I'm in the middle of something here."

Either way, it ends up here.

quote:

"I do not want you fighting."

quote:

"Its what I do," Carrie tosses back.",

"Ruolan means we should not fight each other, not a more general attitude," Maria explains to the other woman.

"The first one to shoot the other is going to lose."

quote:

"That's usually how you win," Carrie counters then hears Maria cough and reconsiders. "Wait, do you mean the fight?"

"I need your attention."

quote:

"That's what this is all about," Carrie points out.

"Ruolan means there is something that needs saying," Maria explains and all but rolls her eyes.

"What? Now?"

When you're in a romance with more than one person, this interlude is where things come to a head. If you're romancing three or more people it's a different scene altogether, but if it's only two then each pair has a different scene where the romantic triangle meets. This is what happens when Carrie and Maria find out about each other. Fortunately, we had a high enough combination of Persuasion and Influence with Carrie that we could avoid picking a side or not picking a side in that opening scene. If our skills and influence were low enough, it'd just be choosing one, the other, or neither and ending the respective romances.

quote:

"Love is a boundless thing."

quote:

"Guard your heart when the talk turns to the idea of love eternal," Maria recites mostly to herself. "Ruolan, what you are asking goes against so many traditions.…"

"Does it? I thought mistresses were all the rage in Europe."

quote:

"If they are discrete," Maria notes and casts a wry glance at Carrie whose pistols are still drawn. "But if a modicum of discretion could be had, then I might conform to.. other traditions."
"Aren't we already through that locked door?"

quote:

"Yes and no," Maria replies then casts a considering glance toward Carrie. "But your point is well taken. I suppose I could accept that different things are in fact different."
"Traditions are made generation by generation, and they are revised accordingly."

quote:

"A point," Maria notes then muses a moment. "I suppose I could be…flexible concerning things that I have chafed against previously."

"We ain't that close," Carrie calls back.

"The chafing was a metaphor."

"What, like a code?"

"More or less," Maria agrees with a wry flick of humor and gives you a subtle nod.
"I don't want to have to choose between the two of you."

quote:

"One must cup one's hand else a world of water shall spill through," Maria calls back to you.

"I agree. Use a cup," Carrie says and tosses a glance toward the other woman. "See, we're civilized out here."

"And my cup is big enough for the both of... no, hold on, I've got a bucket..."

quote:

"I understand the metaphor," Maria says wanly. "And yes, I would rather share than remain thirsty."
"Civilized. What do civilized people do in Europe? Are there not... arrangements?"

quote:

"Yes. There are traditional arrangements and others that are less so," Maria admits. "I suppose I could tolerate one with... your other interest."
"I intend to drink from the river however I must."

quote:

"Well, if you are intent on that, then I must revise my expectations accordingly," Maria says and lets out a long sigh. "It seems I have traveled far and yet much remains the same."
"Surely we can come to some agreement, or an arrangement."

quote:

"An arrangement?" Maria asks and considers the other woman. "Well, there is a tradition in that."

"Precisely. If we are discrete..."

quote:

"Yes, if... " Maria says and glances meaningfully toward Carrie.
"I would promise to be as traditional in this as possible."

quote:

"How very kind of you," Maria says flatly. "But if I must show my ankles then wiggling my toes is a mere after-thought."
"We can discuss things further if you like."

quote:

"Like, no. Discuss, yes. There may yet be a way to salvage both reputation and pride," Maria offers over.

Mechanically it doesn't matter which line of argument we take, it's all a matter of taste.

quote:

You look to Carrie and see the scowl that begins to creep across her lips as understanding sinks in.

"Are you asking me to kick my boots clean for Miss Fancy Britches over there?" she asks of you. "Just to keep you happy?"

"Yes, that is exactly what I am asking."

quote:

"You're asking a lot, but I do like the sound of your voice," Carrie says with a small secret smile. "So, how would this work?"
"Choosing between the two of you is like deciding which hand to cut off."

quote:

"Tricky that, for most people," Carrie agrees and her twin pistols remain at the ready. "But... I got some worries."
"Could you drink just half a bottle of good whiskey?"

quote:

"Maybe, if I'd already had a few beers first," Carrie replies then blinks as understanding dawns. "Oh, I get it. But…is it gonna be that easy?"
"I'd rather have you beside me than against me."

quote:

"Me too," Carrie says with a sigh. "So, how would this work?"

Since we have a high enough Influence with Carrie as well as high Persuasion and Resolve then any of these options work for us.

quote:

"I figure that if the two of you can work out a schedule of weeks and days, we'll stick to it."

quote:

"Schedules... fine. We'll run it like a stagecoach. In relays," Carrie suggests to which Maria readily rolls her eyes."

You move the party indoors and iron out the details. A flip of a coin determines your company for the evening and everyone seems, if not happy, then at least satisfied.

(Resolve, Intimidate, and Stamina slightly increased) (+2 Resolve, +2 Intimidate, +2 Stamina)
"Discretion is key. No more gunfights in the street."

quote:

"Hey, I ain't shot or hit anyone. That means it weren't even a dust-up," Carrie points out then glances about at the utterly empty street. From behind doors and windows though, plenty of townsfolk peer out. "But I get your point."

You move the party indoors and iron out the details. A flip of a coin determines your company for the evening and everyone seems, if not happy, then at least satisfied.

(Resolve, Intimidate, and Stamina slightly increased) (+2 Resolve, +2 Intimidate, +2 Stamina)
"Well, my bed isn't big enough but if we push two together…"

quote:

Carrie rolls her eyes, "Go fall in a well missy, I'm done with you."

With that she backs away from you and Maria, holsters her pistols and stomps into the Mother-Lode saloon despite your further entreaties.

(-20 Caraway, +10 Maria, ends Caraway's romance)

As long as you're not dumb enough to pick the last option things work pretty well!

Lots of Choice of Games games do romance subplots and many of them do romantic triangles as well, but Tin Star is one of a small handful of games where polyamory is actually an option (of the ones I've seen LP'd on this forum, only Choice of Pirate and Tally Ho! feature it, though neither LP managed to pull it off).

It's not an option for all possible relationships- Carrie and Dan will come to blows over the Marshal and Preston doesn't share with anyone, but the five remaining sets (Carrie-Maria, Carrie-Yiska, Yiska-Maria, Yiska-Dan, Dan-Maria) all can be peacefully resolved. Most of the time it's some form of time-share, at least initially since there are some text options later that suggest that the Marshal's paramours can warm up to one another. Carrie or Maria are both into Yiska and he enjoys their company, so it's less a question of convincing one of them to share and more about making sure you can set up your threesome discretely enough to avoid messing with anyone's social or work life. However you can't set up a relationship with more than two other romantic interests even if it might seem like it would otherwise work.

I like that Tin Star put a fair amount of work into the romances and I'm glad we managed to get through one of these without shooting ourselves in the foot. Good work, Marshal Shen's life became that much more interesting.

Of course, there's one other lady in her life she needs to spend some time with...

quote:

Despite all that has been going on, you stop back in to check on your prisoner. Regina sits huddled in the cell with a plate of cold beans before her on the floor.

Seated by the fire, Dan idly roasts a big sausage. The very smell of it sends your stomach to rumbling.

At your nod, he withdraws while nibbling on the treat the whole while.

"So, food not to your liking?"

quote:

"This is a rather spartan hotel and the maid service is terrible," Regina points out.
1. "The Grand Haven Hotel serves a good beef-steak. Might not be what you are used to though."
2. "So, anyway..."
3. Flip the plate and have it splatter against Regina's dress.
4. Just head over to my desk.
5. Retrieve a bottle of beer from my desk and pass it over.

quote:

1. "You are a long way from home."
2. Just do some paperwork.
3. Clean and polish my pistol and make sure that winter hasn't left its mark.

quote:

1. "With but a word from me, you can go free. Eventually."
2. "I so much as breathe a word to the people around here, and you'll be strung up."
3. Say nothing, file some paperwork.

How are we treating Regina?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Grand Haven Hotel serves a good beef steak
Give her a bottle of beer
You are a long way from home
With a word you can go free ventually

You attract more flies with honey than venom.

We're nice to her, we keep her locked up but treat her well, at some point hopefully she will give us something useful and.. well, we have nothing to lose by not treating her well. We're not goin to scare her to giving us anything, killing a prisoner is a no-no.. I figure being nice to her takes longer but is likelier to get us information than an interrogation will. If we're pressed for time in needing things from her or there's someone who wants us to transfer her to thier custody then we might rethink things..

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

You can also attract flies with literal poo poo, so that's not a good analogy.
Either way

1. "The Grand Haven Hotel serves a good beef-steak. Might not be what you are used to though."

Then interrogate

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

DmitriX posted:

You can also attract flies with literal poo poo, so that's not a good analogy.
Either way

Then interrogate

Remember her brother escaped but he said he wasn’t planning his big attack till spring. We got some time.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

achtungnight posted:

Remember her brother escaped but he said he wasn’t planning his big attack till spring. We got some time.

If he tries to attack us in the winter, we greet him sitting on our porch in a blanket sipping hot chocolate wtih a shotgun on our laps and go 'hi diddly doo there partner!'

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

LightWarden posted:

"Well, my bed isn't big enough but if we push two together…"

quote:

Carrie rolls her eyes, "Go fall in a well missy, I'm done with you."

With that she backs away from you and Maria, holsters her pistols and stomps into the Mother-Lode saloon despite your further entreaties.

(-20 Caraway, +10 Maria, ends Caraway's romance)

I feel like that +10 implies that Maria was at least a little into the idea.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, was it a goddamn Homestuck reference in this update?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

I like that Tin Star put a fair amount of work into the romances and I'm glad we managed to get through one of these without shooting ourselves in the foot. Good work, Marshal Shen's life became that much more interesting.

I can’t believe that ‘Porque no los dos’ was actually an option here. Good for our Tin Star marshal, maybe Maria can ‘gentle-up’ Carrie some and Carrie can teach Maria how to shoot whiskey, in every sense of the word.

Vote:

The silent treatment.

While Regina might be accustomed to and expect a lot of things, I’m willing to bet silence isn’t one of them.

We treat her like she’s insignificant, like she’s beneath notice; you don’t go chasing a confession, you let it come out on its own.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

CourValant posted:

The silent treatment.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

CourValant posted:

Vote:

The silent treatment.

While Regina might be accustomed to and expect a lot of things, I’m willing to bet silence isn’t one of them.

We treat her like she’s insignificant, like she’s beneath notice; you don’t go chasing a confession, you let it come out on its own.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

CourValant posted:

Vote:

The silent treatment.

Changing vote to this. I reconsidered my strategy last night and I agree. Never done this bit before so I hope it works.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,
Time to give her the silent treatment.

quote:

Just head over to my desk.

Regina watches you all the while, clearly plotting.

quote:

Just do some paperwork.

"The silent treatment?" Regina notes. "Well, I've suffered worse in the widow's corner."

quote:

Say nothing, file some paperwork.

"Do you think I am worried about going to prison? My family has some of the best lawyers around," Regina explains and tidies her dress.

Silence drapes the remainder of the your time in the office.

... it doesn't work. It's possible to get something with that last option, but it requires you to do enough work with your prisoner in the options beforehand.

quote:

Winter is a long thing, and you know you have plenty of time. The men you hired send word that they are in the Mother-Lode, waiting to take up some work.

You know that you've got piles of lumber and such waiting under the snow at your home.

1. Ride the wintry circuit of Lander county. Be the Marshal that people expect me to be even when it is difficult.
2. Ride out and talk with Bishop Hancock about having the Saints invest in Preston Springs.
3. Practice with my guns.

quote:

The cold and dark keeps gun-play from being fun but it does force you to make every shot count.

3.1 Practice solely with my pistols.
3.2 Practice solely with my rifle.
3.3 Practice with both equally.
3.4 Practice with my pistol more than my rifle.
3.5 Practice with my rifle more than my pistol.
Bring out my books and get to studying.

quote:

4.1 Focus on the law texts
4.2 Dive into the engineering manuals
4.3 Memorize the flora and fauna guides
4.4 Skim through all three of your tomes
Get out despite the cold and do things.

quote:

Despite the frigid air and deep snow, you stomp out while others lie abed.

5.1 Ride my horse for hours
5.2 Go for long walks along the river
5.3 Chop wood like there's no tomorrow
6. Start working on the interior of the house now that the outside is finished.
7. Wait for spring.

It's that time again. We can do up to five things before spring arrives. Most of the time you can only do a particular option once, and you can only pick one option from the "go outside" category. Unlike the previous times there are a few options we can repeat. You can study books multiple times- while you can skim through all three as many as you like, you can only study the sets once each. Similarly, you can repeat the shooting practice up to four times, but it costs 1 Wealth for the second time, 2 Wealth for the third, and 3 Wealth for the fourth (so six total) as you have to keep buying more powder and bullets to practice with.

So, how is Marshal Shen going to spend her winter?

quote:

Miss Shen Ruolan:
Traits: Chinese.
Current Companions: Dan Schmidt, prospector. Ben Carson, cowboy. Miss Caraway, gunslinger.
Health: Healthy and vigorous.
Wealth: Enough for a month in town. (Around 10 total)
Values:
Order: 77% Freedom: 23%
Honor: 98% Arbitrary: 2%
Law: 83% Individuality: 17%
Notoriety: 14% Anonymity: 86%

Skills:
Gunfighting: 69%
Sharpshooting: 55%
Brawling: 46%
Riding: 41%
Survival: 48%
Legal: 30%
Engineering: 26%
Explosives: 35%
Persuasion: 67%
Intimidate: 71%
Stamina: 40%
Resolve: 64%

Influence:
Influence Carson: 77%
Influence Schmidt: 103%
Influence Caraway: 112%
Influence Preston: 124%
Influence Hartigan: 45%
Influence Albion: 71%
Influence Maria: 135%
Influence Marshal James: 70%
Influence Yiska: 109%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah well.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

1. Patrol
2. Investment oportunity
3.5 riffle/pistol
5.1 riding
6. house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

LightWarden posted:

... it doesn't work. It's possible to get something with that last option, but it requires you to do enough work with your prisoner in the options beforehand.

:eng99:

Avalerion posted:

1. Patrol
2. Investment oportunity
3.5 riffle/pistol
5.1 riding
6. house

Vote: +1