Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm at this point myself. I realize a lot of it is smoke and mirrors and a sham, but the ideals and principles are there, even if we have never truly lived up to them. I always felt like the USA was becoming a better country gradually throughout my lifetime, at least a little.

When Trump and this abomination of the GOP took over everything, that hope faded. I think a lot of Americans can't live with the idea that it's all a lie, so we delude ourselves into thinking otherwise.

Because like you said, when you know all of it is a lie, what is left? If we can hope to actually start living up to the ideals in some near future, isn't that all we have? :smith:

You can imagine better ideals yourself and justify them based on the material improvements it will deliver to people's lives. American "ideals" are fine i guess (I think we're talking about the same ideals), but they're intrinsically tied to "because the founding fathers said so," which is terrible and cultlike and is destroying the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1070427101445140492

An Op-Ed in the WaPo that eventually argues that we need to legalize heroin to solve the opioid epidemic :psyduck:

It worked in Portugal, and is doing wonders in Seattle.

Legalizing heroin would lead to people not being afraid of getting their drugs tested. It's also encourages people to get treatment that would otherwise be too afraid to stick their necks out.

Decriminalization is a very positive step in combating opioid addiction.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it'll be a shame when don jr is in jail and can't be such a public idiot anymore

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1070424834566512641

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1070427101445140492

An Op-Ed in the WaPo that eventually argues that we need to legalize heroin to solve the opioid epidemic :psyduck:

We've been in Afganistan for almost 2 decades, might as well get something good out of it :suicide:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

FizFashizzle posted:

Legalizing heroin would lead to people not being afraid of getting their drugs tested. It's also encourages people to get treatment that would otherwise be too afraid to stick their necks out.

Yes, but this isn't saying to decriminalize heroin, its saying to turn it into another prescribed opioid. It also doesn't make any of the arguments put forward in this thread, its just Fentanyl sucks and kills people, rehab doesn't work. Like this is the conclusion where it goes from just talking about how bad Fentanyl is and then it gets to this

quote:

Drug policy involves an uncomfortable tradeoff: The easier you make it to continue a drug habit, the more addicts you will have. That’s why the law forbids doctors from prescribing most opiates simply to maintain addictions. And why policies such as needle exchange, supervised injection and methadone maintenance have always been controversial. Most people don’t want addiction made safer or easier; they want it stopped, cold.

Understandably so. Opioids hijack addicts’ brain chemistry, directing their will toward one thing: the next fix. Every time someone is liberated from that pharmaceutical slavery, a great moral victory is won.

But you don’t free slaves by killing them, and as long as fentanyl suffuses the illicit drug markets, that’s what a “tough love” policy amounts to. The drug naloxone can counter the effects of an opioid overdose, but death tolls have continued to rise even as public-health workers have made naloxone much more widely available. What about detox? About half of addicts who go through treatment are using again within six months, according to Sally Satel, a drug policy expert at the American Enterprise Institute.

That leaves two options: Keep doing what we’re doing and let addicts keep dying as they’re dying, until the opioid epidemic burns itself out. Or start talking about ways to make safe, reliable doses of opiates available to addicts who aren’t ready to stop. That would mean opening more methadone clinics and making it less onerous for doctors to prescribe buprenorphine, a relatively mild opioid that’s difficult to overdose on. But lowering the death toll may well require a more drastic step: legalizing prescriptions of stronger opiates.

Prescription heroin? Remember, I said you might not like the solution. I don’t like it, either — and frankly, neither do the drug policy researchers who told me it may be necessary. But when fentanyl took over the U.S. illicit drug markets, it also got a lot of addicts as hostages. We’ll never be able to rescue them unless we can first keep them alive long enough to be saved.

Ted Cruz has continued to try to grow his beard
https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1070429012512657409

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 5, 2018

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Giggy posted:

You can imagine better ideals yourself and justify them based on the material improvements it will deliver to people's lives. American "ideals" are fine i guess (I think we're talking about the same ideals), but they're intrinsically tied to "because the founding fathers said so," which is terrible and cultlike and is destroying the world.

Oh no, I'm talking about the nation of immigrants, melting pot of the world, liberty and justice for everyone stuff.

The Founding Fathers cult needs to go away forever, because there are many stupid Americans who treat them like they were gods.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Your Taint posted:

I don't know about you, but this is a hell of a deal. BRB gotta withdraw $750 from the bank.

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1070422286916874241

Hmmm... $750 to have a direct line to call Milo a kiddie diddling dipshit and spam goatse at him on as many times as I can before he blocks me?

Ooo, don’t temp me, Milo...

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Or we could put the dealers against the wall and then give the users free healthcare, rehabilitation and housing.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

Legalizing it is one-hundred percent the correct choice.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Everyone who has ever existed or ever will exist is an evil monster. Can we move on to the next discussion now?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So what's the consensus here on Beto's actual policy positions? I get real Obama vibes from him and not in a good way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Hmmm... $750 to have a direct line to call Milo a kiddie diddling dipshit and spam goatse at him on as many times as I can before he blocks me?

Ooo, don’t temp me, Milo...

It would be fun to see some crowdsourced trolling but it's still better for him to not get the money and spend the rest of his life offline scrubbing gender-neutral toilets or whatever.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm pretty sure clean Heroin or opium has fewer damaging side effects than all the other crazy hard drugs. I've been arguing this lately amongst friends: Why is Heroin (I usually say opium) unacceptable and alcohol is not. I usually discuss this by laying out my theory that addiction is sometimes more of a situational thing than even a medical one.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Katt posted:

Or we could put the dealers against the wall and then give the users free healthcare, rehabilitation and housing.

Most people dealing heroin are supporting their own addiction.

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, but this isn't saying to decriminalize heroin, its saying to turn it into another prescribed opioid

oh, gotcha.

Well even that isn't a terrible idea assuming an increase of quality. Most of the people we saw at work overdosed because something was in their heroin that usually isn't there.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Your Taint posted:

I don't know about you, but this is a hell of a deal. BRB gotta withdraw $750 from the bank.

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1070422286916874241

Can I gently caress with him and buy it on behalf of someone else? So then he would have to call Michael Avenatti every year and wish him a happy birthday?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Condiv posted:

what does healing divisions even mean in this context? what is it you're hoping for with "healing divisions"?

there are divisions in this country for a very good reason. there are people that want to do terrible things. as long as those people exist and are trying to use our government to tear apart families, kill black people with impunity, make sure women have to give birth to rape babies and pay for rape kits, etc. then those divisions are good

You don't heal gangrene, you amputate.

There are groups in this country where the best we can hope for it to prevent them from infecting others with their hateful ideology.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Condiv posted:

:chloe:

we're talking about the party of nixon, newt gingrich, reagan, cheney, george w bush, george h. w. bush, karl rove, and more. they haven't had "good intentions" since well before I was born, and probably didn't have good intentions for even longer than that. And what makes you think the republicans have been good faith operators in decades if not a century?

Nixon supported a health care plan that is more progressive than what we have now
Bush the first signed the Disability Act and revised Clean Air Act
Hell even Bush the second increased Aids funding to Africa and supported some clean energy proposals.

If the Republican party that existed under Bush the 1st or Clinton existed under Obama, we probably would have seen more infrastructure and clean energy spending, just as a start. Even the Republican party under GWB would have supported some of Obama's proposals.

You are right that though that there were signs leading up to Obama's presidency that the Republican party that existed in congress was much more partisan than the past.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Unzip and Attack posted:

So what's the consensus here on Beto's actual policy positions? I get real Obama vibes from him and not in a good way.

Largely an empty suit who’s to the right of Obama on certain issues like banking regulations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JasonV posted:

Can I gently caress with him and buy it on behalf of someone else? So then he would have to call Michael Avenatti every year and wish him a happy birthday?

For free I will make a video telling goons not to give Milo any loving money goddamn

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

It would be fun to see some crowdsourced trolling but it's still better for him to not get the money and spend the rest of his life offline scrubbing gender-neutral toilets or whatever.

What I want to know is, do you still get all those rewards if you just pay for one month and then immediately delete or suspend the pledge? Is Milo legally obligated to call you and have dinner with you in a fancy restaurant even if you only paid him the one time and he knows you’re going to show up to the table armed with an air horn and a giant poster board saying MILO IS A PEDOPHILE with an arrow pointing directly at him?

Of course the answer is no, Milo’s a grifting coward and would find any way he could to weasel out of it, but oooh the trolling potential is still immense...

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The only reason anyone should donate money to Milo is if hes necking himself live on Twitch.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas Massacre posted:

For free I will make a video telling goons not to give Milo any loving money goddamn

Do it for the exposure. Really get your name out there in the goon community.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm at this point myself. I realize a lot of it is smoke and mirrors and a sham, but the ideals and principles are there, even if we have never truly lived up to them. I always felt like the USA was becoming a better country gradually throughout my lifetime, at least a little.

When Trump and this abomination of the GOP took over everything, that hope faded. I think a lot of Americans can't live with the idea that it's all a lie, so we delude ourselves into thinking otherwise.

Because like you said, when you know all of it is a lie, what is left? If we can hope to actually start living up to the ideals in some near future, isn't that all we have? :smith:

but if we just say "gently caress it, nothing matters, don't even try" and the answer isn't some littlefinger esc acceleration bullshit where we just let it all burn and hope some of us come out on top because "well everyone is poo poo". i think if we get a good candidate who can be progressive and hopeful, trump is hosed, the GOP is pretty hosed in general, there sole idea now is just to appeal to facists and psychos and no one else, that isn't a sign of strength. its a sign of desperation, they are losing the numbers game and trump has ripped off the human face most of these ghouls try to wear. we swept the house on the line of progressive ideals/policy and gently caress trump. it can win.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Giggy posted:

I'm pretty sure clean Heroin or opium has fewer damaging side effects than all the other crazy hard drugs. I've been arguing this lately amongst friends: Why is Heroin (I usually say opium) unacceptable and alcohol is not. I usually discuss this by laying out my theory that addiction is sometimes more of a situational thing than even a medical one.

Heroin is absolutely worse than alcohol and fucks up your brain chemistry in ways that are extremely hard if not impossible to unfuck.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Koalas Massacre posted:

What do I get for the tier in-between this one and the "personalized white devil video"?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

Nixon supported a health care plan that is more progressive than what we have now
Bush the first signed the Disability Act and revised Clean Air Act
Hell even Bush the second increased Aids funding to Africa and supported some clean energy proposals.

If the Republican party that existed under Bush the 1st or Clinton existed under Obama, we probably would have seen more infrastructure and clean energy spending, just as a start. Even the Republican party under GWB would have supported some of Obama's proposals.

You are right that though that there were signs leading up to Obama's presidency that the Republican party that existed in congress was much more partisan than the past.

i think during those days, there were still flickers of bipartisan decorum and going with the flow because they can get poo poo out of it at some point. but fox news and Obama winning broke the parties brain hard.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hot take:

Don't give a nazi pedo any money. Even to "own the cons"

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Giggy posted:

Yeah heroin/opium are actually really benign except for the addictive property. Like sugar is worse for you, never mind alcohol which is awful. From what I know though opiate addiction is more demanding on the user than casual alcohol use. Think nicotine.

That said opiate addiction even to clean benign opiates is problematic - primarily because they’re illegal yes, but that’s unlikely to change soon on any grand scale. So then you end up with the current synthetic opioids coming in and people dying.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Heroin is absolutely worse than alcohol and fucks up your brain chemistry in ways that are extremely hard if not impossible to unfuck.

Can you provide a link to cite this - honestly curious because I’ve read the opposite.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Zero_Grade posted:

What do I get for the tier in-between this one and the "personalized white devil video"?

A handwritten letter calling you an rear end in a top hat

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/gabrielsherman/status/1070432672592338949

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but if we just say "gently caress it, nothing matters, don't even try" and the answer isn't some littlefinger esc acceleration bullshit where we just let it all burn and hope some of us come out on top because "well everyone is poo poo". i think if we get a good candidate who can be progressive and hopeful, trump is hosed, the GOP is pretty hosed in general, there sole idea now is just to appeal to facists and psychos and no one else, that isn't a sign of strength. its a sign of desperation, they are losing the numbers game and trump has ripped off the human face most of these ghouls try to wear. we swept the house on the line of progressive ideals/policy and gently caress trump. it can win.

This I agree with yeah. I think the time has finally come where we can run on truly progressive policies and candidates.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Can you provide a link to cite this - honestly curious because I’ve read the opposite.

Same. And I know it's anecdotal, but I've had a better time hanging out with heroin addicts than alcoholics.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Oh this would be just amazing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

This I agree with yeah. I think the time has finally come where we can run on truly progressive policies and candidates.

i mean like i said, we won the house on that kinda stuff. the monsters who ran on killing our healthcare got loving stomped.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Glumslinger posted:

Yes, but this isn't saying to decriminalize heroin, its saying to turn it into another prescribed opioid. It also doesn't make any of the arguments put forward in this thread, its just Fentanyl sucks and kills people, rehab doesn't work. Like this is the conclusion where it goes from just talking about how bad Fentanyl is and then it gets to this

Ted Cruz has continued to try to grow his beard
https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1070429012512657409

huh, he actually looks less appalling now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trump would absolutely dump Pence and replace him with nothing, and to be fair to Trump, it would be the same.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Y'all remember when Paul Ryan grew a beard and the right threw a shitfit and accused him of being ISIS?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump really just wants to dominate a news cycle with more Bachelor speculation on his pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

I wonder if dumping him would lose him some religious voter support.

Either way itd be great to see a brown nosing sycophant like pence get the boot.