Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

https://twitter.com/beneltham/status/1070276535007948800?s=20

lmao they arent even trying anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
finally going to get my hands on the ark of the covenant (avs’ chat history)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

daily reminder this happened

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Solemn Sloth posted:

If there’s three things australians love it’s professional women, asbestosis and corporate lawyers

Please note I did not say she would win or be a good choice.

That said, a lot of the people around my age don't know about the asbestosis thing. I'm surprised at how many people I tell about it who didn't know and are moderately/highly politically active. According to Wiki, asbestos mining stopped in 1983, its use was phased out in 1989, and it was banned entirely in December 2003.

Face it, y'all are old.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bell jar posted:

There's a large amount that don't drive or have passports & just rely on looking old enough to get into places. I don't understand it either, but they exist

My work involves verifying identities and we had one of these this year and I can tell you it's a loving nightmare.

Her only form of ID was a proof of age card. No driver's licence, no passport, no birth certificate (I think she was from overseas?), no Medicare card. She was like a loving spy, she had nothing identifying her beyond this one card which she only got because apparently she's had this problem before with employers.

There really are some people out there who go through life like this. Sure, there's not as many of them anymore, but there are always going to be weird edge cases like this and you can't disenfranchise somebody for it.

I mean, there was the case of that woman whose mum was a hot mess who bounced between multiple different states when she was a baby and never bothered getting a birth certificate for her daughter (or just lost it), then died before she could clear up the confusion. So now this poor woman can't get a driver's licence, tax file number, passport, etc... All because despite living in Australia her entire life, she can't prove it.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

JBP posted:

But what about not IDing voters being potentially the same problem.

no

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Whitlam posted:

Please note I did not say she would win or be a good choice.

That said, a lot of the people around my age don't know about the asbestosis thing. I'm surprised at how many people I tell about it who didn't know and are moderately/highly politically active. According to Wiki, asbestos mining stopped in 1983, its use was phased out in 1989, and it was banned entirely in December 2003.

Face it, y'all are old.

I'm 26 and was just old enough to be aware of the asbestosis stuff going on in the news in the early 2000s.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Face it, y'all are old.

And we have long memories. But the chief reason they're talking up Bishop is that they know they will lose and this is a rare opportunity to smash the moderate faction. Bishop isn't stupid, she can see that. On the other hand, Shorten's probably already promised her a diplomatic posting after the election, so anything goes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Les Affaires posted:

What's the percentage of adults in Australia without valid ID though?

Enough for conservatives to float this garbage idea.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

froglet posted:

My work involves verifying identities and we had one of these this year and I can tell you it's a loving nightmare.

Her only form of ID was a proof of age card. No driver's licence, no passport, no birth certificate (I think she was from overseas?), no Medicare card. She was like a loving spy, she had nothing identifying her beyond this one card which she only got because apparently she's had this problem before with employers.

There really are some people out there who go through life like this. Sure, there's not as many of them anymore, but there are always going to be weird edge cases like this and you can't disenfranchise somebody for it.

I mean, there was the case of that woman whose mum was a hot mess who bounced between multiple different states when she was a baby and never bothered getting a birth certificate for her daughter (or just lost it), then died before she could clear up the confusion. So now this poor woman can't get a driver's licence, tax file number, passport, etc... All because despite living in Australia her entire life, she can't prove it.

I was curious how she's even on the electoral roll to begin with since in Queensland you need to prove your identity with either a driver's licence or passport but I checked again and you can just get someone else already on the roll to say "yep that's them" for you.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

asio posted:

‘Bringing home the bacon’ offensive to vegans

Frank Chung, news.com.au

December 5, 2018 1:56pm

Common phrases like “bring home the bacon” and “put all your eggs in one basket” have been deemed offensive to vegans and vegetarians, who want them replaced with animal-friendly alternatives like “bring home the bagels” and “put all your berries in one bowl”.

Instead of “kill two birds with one stone” we should say “feed two birds with one scone”. “Take the bull by the horns” should become “take the flower by the thorns”. No longer should we “beat a dead horse” but instead “feed a fed horse”. And rather than “let the cat out of the bag”, we should simply “spill the beans”.

According to one academic, as increased awareness of vegan issues filters through society, meat-based metaphors may end up being ditched from the language altogether.

“If veganism forces us to confront the realities of food’s origins, then this increased awareness will undoubtedly be reflected in our language and our literature,” Swansea University researcher Shareena Hamzah wrote in The Conversation.

According to Dr Hamzah, meat is “more than just a form of sustenance, it is the very king of all foods”.

“Historically, the resources required to obtain meat meant it was mainly the preserve of the upper classes, while the peasantry subsisted on a mostly vegetarian diet,” she writes.

“As a result, the consumption of meat was associated with dominant power structures in society, its absence from the plate indicating disadvantaged groups, such as women and the poor. To control the supply of meat was to control the people.”

Dr Hamzah, whose research interests include contemporary literature, women’s writing, gender and sexuality studies, equates meat to the “patriarchal mindset of the early 20th century” when “a man’s right to eat the best meat is unquestioned”.

“Meat is power, meat is for men,” she writes.

“(In Jeanette Winterson’s novel The Passion), the main female character, Villanelle, sells herself to Russian soldiers in order to have some of their scarce and valuable supply of meat. The female body is just another type of meat for these men and carnivorous desire leads to carnal pleasure.”

Today, she argues, meat is “repeatedly the subject of much socially and politically charged discussion, including about how the demand for meat is contributing to climate change and environmental degradation”.

“Studies have indicated the negative effects of meat-eating on the human body,” she writes. “When concerns about animal welfare are added to the broth, the growth of vegetarianism and veganism threatens to dethrone meat from its position at the top of the food hierarchy.”

Animal rights groups PETA has been campaigning for “animal-friendly idioms” for years. On its website, it provides helpful alternatives for teachers to “common phrases that perpetuate violence toward animals”.

“While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalise abuse,” the organisation says.

“The words that we use have the power to influence those around us. Teaching students to use animal-friendly language can cultivate positive relationships between all beings and help end the epidemic of youth violence toward animals.”

frank.chung@news.com.au

Originally published as Common phrase now offensive

https://www.couriermail.com.au/business/companies/bringing-home-the-bacon-offensive-to-vegans/news-story/8980653eddd9d27919024b6489c10f07

This wouldn’t even be remotely newsworthy if they weren’t trying to stoke a “stupid soy boys, hurr” reaction from the base.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bringing home the bagels is the most anti Semitic poo poo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bringing home the facon.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Bringing home the bagels is the most anti Semitic poo poo

Good point, should be bringing home the shekels

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
bringing home the textured vegetable protein

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Remember when Courtney Barnett bastardised Black Skinhead on the radio and replaced "coon poo poo" with "coon cheese" while giggling uncontrollably? What a magnificent modern day North Sydney private school poet laureate.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

gay picnic defence posted:

bringing home the textured vegetable protein

Seitan is the best, don't knock it.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Remember when Courtney Barnett bastardised Black Skinhead on the radio and replaced "coon poo poo" with "coon cheese" while giggling uncontrollably? What a magnificent modern day North Sydney private school poet laureate.

lmao this guy thinks singing a kanye song is cultural appropriation

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Slugnoid posted:

Singing the song is fine, making fun of the lyric about coons isn't.

Way to miss the point and project.

JBP fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 5, 2018

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Slugnoid posted:

I’ll take a wild guess based on your reply that you know very little about Kanye and rap in general

Doing a lame acoustic cover of Hey Ya to impress the discerning and cultured triple J audience is fine, but context matters. If you don’t know what the song “black skinhead” is actually about then the title may give you some clues about whether it’s appropriate to trivialize and giggle over

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's about the only good song Kanye's done?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's about the only good song Kanye's done?

Wrong but we aren't in auspol to debate the merits of old yeezy's catalogue

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

monkeu posted:

I’ll take a wild guess based on your reply that you know very little about Kanye and rap in general

Doing a lame acoustic cover of Hey Ya to impress the discerning and cultured triple J audience is fine, but context matters. If you don’t know what the song “black skinhead” is actually about then the title may give you some clues about whether it’s appropriate to trivialize and giggle over

try me bitch im hotep as gently caress

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I keep it 300 like the Romans

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/developer-issues-legal-threat-to-minister-over-protected-wetland/10581734

Phone posting, but y'all should read.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

quote:

Both the Palaszczuk Government and the Redlands City Council are supporters of the proposed development.

lol

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
"Feed two birds with one scone" sounds cute

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Joshy says it’s all good guys

https://twitter.com/breakfastnews/status/1070413522629062657?s=21

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I was gonna get mad at this because i was under the impression that she was asked to cover specifically that song & felt uncomfortable doing it, and that she'd also altered other slurs (like 300 chickens), but then i looked into it and it was very clear that she chose the song and approached triple j with it so now I'm like, man could you have chosen literally any other song

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Virginia, you twist the story, you put facts in the story.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm going to going on a serial killing rampage and when questioned as to why I did it I'll reply "well you see this area of Queensland clearly, CLEARLY, needs more jobs and you know, it's only fair, it's only um, fair, that we create those jobs for Queenslanders in, growing mind you, areas like, um, growing areas like sanitation, law enforcement and um your own area, the, um, the media."

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/alfiedotwtf/status/1070047303275175936?s=20

what the gently caress

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

holy poo poo, a Ramsar wetland...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is this for real. Is there a good overview of this bill available? Like one written by a hyper-nerd for the consumption of a regular nerd?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

JBP posted:

I'm going to going on a serial killing rampage and when questioned as to why I did it I'll reply "well you see this area of Queensland clearly, CLEARLY, needs more jobs and you know, it's only fair, it's only um, fair, that we create those jobs for Queenslanders in, growing mind you, areas like, um, growing areas like sanitation, law enforcement and um your own area, the, um, the media."

can the rampage be in queensland

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/centrelink-contractor-concentrix-cut-thousands-off-welfare-in-uk/10586274

quote:

A company awarded a $70 million contract to operate outsourced Centrelink call centres was responsible for wrongly cutting tens of thousands of vulnerable people off benefits in the United Kingdom.
Concentrix — hired by the Australian Government to help improve service delivery from Centrelink — was slammed for "gross failings of customer service" after an investigation by the Work and Pensions Committee of the UK House of Commons.
"Vulnerable people lost benefits to which they were entitled through no fault of their own," the damning report by the cross-parliamentary committee found.
"Some were put through traumatic experiences as a consequence of avoidable failures.
"The hardship … meant some claimants took out expensive loans or accumulated rent arrears, exacerbating their financial difficulties."
The private sector is more efficient

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That's a feature, not a bug

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

JBP posted:

Is this for real. Is there a good overview of this bill available? Like one written by a hyper-nerd for the consumption of a regular nerd?

theres a buncha long tweethreads under the #aabill hashtag on twitter with techies and lawyers pouring over the deets. hopefully the guardian or some tech news site will write something up soon

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

im alan jones posted:

theres a buncha long tweethreads under the #aabill hashtag on twitter with techies and lawyers pouring over the deets. hopefully the guardian or some tech news site will write something up soon

I'm not an expert so I'm just gonna say what I feel in an email then pitch up at the office since it's my day off. Cribbed the basic structure from the email someone else posted in here

Dear Mr Watts,

I am emailing in regards to the Assistance and Access Bill. I oppose this bill because of the damage it will cause to the tech industry and the security of every single person who uses the internet. I am a Footscray resident and a life-time Labor Party voter. The coercive power of this bill to compel individuals to secretly create back-doors in encrypted data is frightening to me. It is particularly frightening as a regular citizen that engages in political activity. This bill also has the real potential to damage our economy and Australia's reputation as a leader in innovative technological advances. I don't pretend to be an expert on this point, but it has been made clear many times by tech companies and their workers that creating holes in "secure data" simply renders it insecure.

The Assistance and Access Bill deliberately creates vulnerabilities in honest online communications. I am fearful that creating these vulnerabilities intentionally will leave my personal communications vulnerable to invasion by private actors and criminals looking to exploit my data or activity online for monetary or personal gain. This bill might help to catch technologically inept criminals who don't take proper precautions in safeguarding their privacy, but it will also completely undermine the security of all other Australians. If all it takes for us to completely void our cyber security is three blokes trying to get a rabbit gun, as is the case in the most recent terrorist plot thwarted by police and cited by the LNP, then I feel that I am living in a nation of losers who have simply given up in the face of "terrorism". If this truly is the ground for the introduction of this aggressively faulty bill, then I haven't much faith in the fortitude of the Labor party; or it's dedication to my privacy.

Ultimately, any data that is vulnerable to a back-door or invasion by the state is simply not secure data. This bill and the powers it will grant police are completely unacceptable.

Thank you for your time,

Your Old Pal, JPB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

froglet posted:

Surely if you don't have your birth certificate you can just apply for one from the registrar's office? A person's personal copy of their birth certificate isn't the only one that exists.