Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Arcon posted:

When they launch the realm chains they offer you a second torment RW that gives you a full heal, so you could take the realm chain relic and drop a healer if you're struggling to heal but not DPS

I did not know about that! Makes a lot more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
We're also still kinda in the dark on what the next form of endgame content will be like. Realm chains could point at something similar to Torments, where realm is more important than elements.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Gotcha, bum-eyes. Now to get it to sub-30.

E:

Swapped beachwear from Laguna to OK. A crime for style but it's a sub 30.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 4, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

shaved 10 seconds off kraken time just by farming ixion enough to get 4* magicites into the 80+ range, finished in 23.46secs, tyro got owned by counters but that was honestly the best outcome, too bad he didn't get to entrust elarra before dying though or I'd probably have done it a couple seconds faster.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

We're also still kinda in the dark on what the next form of endgame content will be like. Realm chains could point at something similar to Torments, where realm is more important than elements.

Awakenings point at it being something with absurd amount of osmose potential, though, if not eleventy khjbillion HP.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Attestant posted:

Yeah, realm chains kinda feel like booby prizes now, since they're basically good for exactly one fight. I suppose there's some niche uses for magicite: FF6 Fire Physical, FF5 Earth Physical, FF10 Water Physical, FF2 Earth Magic, those all require some extremely specific relics and they'd have to release the chain on the right person. I'm guessing there will another round of awakening-tuned torments in the near future and I'm really not looking forward to that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Went back and sub-30'd Hades just to round out having sub-30'd all the 4* magicites, but wow I am not interested in farming that trash fire of a fight at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not gonna lie, I kind of miss keystones for putting a hard cap on how much you can grind magicite fights. Grinding magicite sucks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Also all realm chains to date come with the onion buff in addition to the chain effect

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I still think someone other then Rikku, who holds the physical water chain, should have got the FFX Realm Chain, which will also primarily be used for a physical water team. It's sorta like Rikku has a straight line of slightly different SBs from her buff USB to Realm Chain to Water Chain. I suppose it's great if you really like Rikku, and the very rare person who has Braska/Auron/Fire Jecht SBs to can run a fire team with Rikku using Ruby Spark.

I would've loved it going to someone a bit more neglected in FFX. But the first person who comes to mind, Kimahri, still has the problem of no Water abilities (and his Radiant Shield USB wouldn't work with a realm chain), which leaves Braska - who could actually use it well with Dualcast Summon + White 4 if you need to squish in a Proshellga. No luck though, but I hope Braska gets something new at some point.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Let Rikku keep the Realm Chain and give the Water Chain to Edge, he does big numbers and doesnt need those other SBs really anyway unless you're needing to entrust and abuse SSB2/USB2 anyway

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rikku is a mess in general. She has +thief in her record and legend dive, a +celerity lm1, an lmr that runs off machinist. Unless you have her CSB1 water is like the last element you want to use with her lol

In that regard her CSB2 actually probably fits her better

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Her USB2 chases water damage though. I believe both her BSB commands are water machinist, so there's that, but if she's on your team it's for her USB1/CSB so that's 6 bars before you can take advantage of half of her kit. Yeah, they're just throwing stuff at her and hoping something sticks.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

I forgot to use some fest tickets, oops. :v:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i looked at my pile of 35 and said no way. what is this, a job?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I've got d??? Bahamut queued up, but I'm nervous because several of my previous attempts ended with everyone wiping at the same time, meaning no chance to restart.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
The Crystal Tower was free.

I tried to use cores for fun on floor 1 but got obliterated. :mad:

Buff cores, DeNa!

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Is there any high end fight that you can do with just abilities at this point? I feel like having almost no SB's is the most damning thing about the cores.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Is there any high end fight that you can do with just abilities at this point? I feel like having almost no SB's is the most damning thing about the cores.

I mean, 3* Magicite may or may not stretch the definition of high-end, but its still drat impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHx8JM8s2V0

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Well, if you want to use abilities, they're awful at that too. Core Black Mage only has 4* black magic access.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Yeah, if you really want a Core party, choose the only ones that have workable ability access:

Magus - Black 5
Devout - White 5
Berserker - Combat 4, Heavy 5
Viking - Combat 4, Heavy 5
Bard - Support 4, Bard 4 (gets Breakdowns, Proshellga and weak AoE buffs)

Lots of them have pretty crappy HP and Defense which doesn't help, but Magus, Berserker and Viking are capable of actual DPS, Bard can do something productive and Devout is there if you consider Ellara cheating or the possible scenario needing two white mages to keep your cores alive.

I also think at some point we got a free Medica SB for core White Mage? Depends on how long you've been playing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I guess there are shared soul breaks. There was that shared AOSB from halloween, and I randomly got a shared medica from daily draw.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
We will be getting Doc Mog, Biggs and Wedge as cores soon. Cheating? Kinda.

Doc Mog has Wall as an instant Glint.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

TIL that Core Monk, Samurai, and Spellblade don't have any Combat access. :wtc:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

TIL that Core Monk, Samurai, and Spellblade don't have any Combat access. :wtc:

:gumi: :niantic: :dena?:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Qwertycoatl posted:

I guess there are shared soul breaks. There was that shared AOSB from halloween, and I randomly got a shared medica from daily draw.

Yeah this.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
RoP starting Saturday, looks like. Gonna save em all and pull them on Xmas morning. Hoping that residual Santa magic boosts my luck.

Then the Long Dark begins.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The cores are just so bizzare. They were designed with a very different game in mind and just somehow survived the development process.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
is there a banner coming that should be avoid or saved up for? Having so many realm dungeons to do means so much mythril. Should I save up for the god wall item?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

What are the cores meant for anyway? Why does one get a soul break from a 4 star hat? Do they serve any purpose besides having genetic record materia that can be good?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

xanthan posted:

What are the cores meant for anyway? Why does one get a soul break from a 4 star hat? Do they serve any purpose besides having genetic record materia that can be good?

they're vestigial. like your tailbone.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Varance posted:

We will be getting Doc Mog, Biggs and Wedge as cores soon. Cheating? Kinda.

Doc Mog has Wall as an instant Glint.

Wait seriously? Not gonna lie I actually like the original characters for this game.

Also another step closer to an all Moogle team.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

xanthan posted:

Way way back when you couldn’t break level caps, 4* Abilities were in high demand, Unique Soul Breaks were considered powerful, and the hardest boss in the game was level 42 Forza and Magissa, they might’ve been useful for something...I think

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Biggs and Wedge are the next update, I think, and Dr. Mog is nearer to 4A?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Which of the samurai fire abilities is the best? Putting together a fire team with Auron on it.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Way way back when you couldn’t break level caps, 4* Abilities were in high demand, Unique Soul Breaks were considered powerful, and the hardest boss in the game was level 42 Forza and Magissa, they might’ve been useful for something...I think

I think the Cores were originally supposed to be used for some purpose that never actually got realized. Like maybe they were supposed to unlock skills for Tyro or other characters or something. There's no reason for them to exist at all, nowadays.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've always assumed the cores were just what you were given when the game first launched where I also assume there weren't many heroes at first.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
That did happen for a short time.

I think Rydia was the first character we got with any magical capability other then the cores. Like, she was the best mage and healer, and I'm pretty sure one of the few good 3* farmable equips was a Whip which made her better. So if you're using her as a mage, Tyro or White Mage were your healing options.

I think Aerith or Lenna were a month or two off from Rydia? All I can remember now is Black Cowl farming, and I stopped playing for a while when all my pulls were horrible.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 6, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arc was the first White Mage we could get without it being tied to an event, and he was a true godsend. Before then, I think most teams did use White Mage if they couldn't get Aerith or Lenna, because in general the stats of your healer don't matter nearly as much as the rest of your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

I started a bit before ssbs were introduced and I used white mage for a while because of her medica. I think I stopped because she was made of paper. Mog was recommended because he was the tankiest healer and the best healing spell was the 4* curaja.