Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

speaking of cook islands: oh no

quote:

Back in 2015, Facebook had a pickle of a problem. It was time to update the Android version of the Facebook app, and two different groups within Facebook were at odds over what the data grab should be.

The business team wanted to get Bluetooth permissions so it could push ads to people’s phones when they walked into a store. Meanwhile, the growth team, which is responsible for getting more and more people to join Facebook, wanted to get “Read Call Log Permission” so that Facebook could track everyone whom Android user called or texted with in order to make better friend recommendations to them.

In a February 4, 2015, email that encapsulates the issue, Facebook Bluetooth Beacon product manager Mike Lebeau is quoted saying that the request for “read call log” permission was a “pretty high-risk thing to do from a PR perspective but it appears that the growth team will charge ahead and do it.”

LeBeau was worried because a “screenshot of the scary Android permissions screen becomes a meme (as it has in the past), propagates around the web, it gets press attention, and enterprising journalists dig into what exactly the new update is requesting.” He suggested a possible headline for those journalists: “Facebook uses new Android update to pry into your private life in ever more terrifying ways - reading your call logs, tracking you in businesses with beacons, etc.”

Then a man named Yul Kwon came to the rescue saying that the growth team had come up with a solution! Thanks to poor Android permission design at the time, there was a way to update the Facebook app to get “Read Call Log” permission without actually asking for it. “Based on their initial testing, it seems that this would allow us to upgrade users without subjecting them to an Android permissions dialog at all,” Kwon is quoted. “It would still be a breaking change, so users would have to click to upgrade, but no permissions dialog screen. They’re trying to finish testing by tomorrow to see if the behavior holds true across different versions of Android.”

Oh yay! Facebook could suck more data from users without scaring them by telling them it was doing it! This is a little surprising coming from Yul Kwon because he is Facebook’s chief ‘privacy sherpa,’ who is supposed to make sure that new products coming out of Facebook are privacy-compliant. I know because I profiled him, in a piece that happened to come out the same day as this email was sent. A member of his team told me their job was to make sure that the things they’re working on “not show up on the front page of the New York Times” because of a privacy blow-up. And I guess that was technically true, though it would be more reassuring if they tried to make sure Facebook didn’t do the creepy things that led to privacy blow-ups rather than keeping users from knowing about the creepy things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I love Christian's girlfriend.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

drat this challenge must suck with two short people.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

“Enjoy the flight home. Watch movies.”

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Christian is an absolute shoe-in for a returnees season (if he wants to do it)

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So many episodes have falsely had Christian as the target so this better be the one.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Shneak posted:

So many episodes have falsely had Christian as the target so this better be the one.

If he's not out in the next week or two, I don't see him having many friends on the jury.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

If he's not out in the next week or two, I don't see him having many friends on the jury.

they keep targeting him as a winner threat, so I kind of doubt that

Shneak posted:

he's probably going to play his idol after the blatant cheering against him in the challenge

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Yeah they sure telegraphed things there

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

he's probably going to play his idol after the blatant cheering against him in the challenge
I'm all about the rope chop and popularity contest but drat you can't give information for free.

e: weird cut to Nick during the Allison talk

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 6, 2018

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
lol is gabby's strategy fueled by jealousy?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

How is nobody saying “okay if she’ll do this to Christian, what would she do to me?”

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Disharmony posted:

That's how they edited it at least. Did she not know Christian had a gf?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Disharmony posted:

I think it's more Big Move Fever but it is partly rooted in last week's claim that Carl was taking credit instead of she and Christian.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Loved ones visit always shakes up the game somehow

Haha Gabby so sore during the vote reads

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

THIS SEASON loving OWNS

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Elizabeth must be so thrilled to finally have someone to hang out with

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Christian is probably hosed without an immunity run but that was a hell of a move.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That was poetic *chef's kiss*

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jeez I have no idea what my feelings on Gabby are anymore but that was another pretty dang cool Tribal. So Gabby organizes a blindside and a small subgroup that really are in on the blindside decide to make her the backup and then a one person subgroup of that subgroup tips Christian O_O

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh also lmao forever at Gabby for thinking she'd crafted a perfect blindside after what they pulled at the immunity challenge

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh poo poo that vote reveal

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

IcePhoenix posted:

oh poo poo that vote reveal

Eh, no reason for Davie to stray from the group since he wasn't going to be the target anyway. Ultimately got what he wanted if Christian played the idol anyway

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Oh Christian voted Alison. Weird of Mike and Angelina to take out Gabby who would have been completely neutered after Christian played an idol she didn't know about.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Wow so Angelina masterminded Gabby's demise :eyepop:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Shneak posted:

Wow so Angelina masterminded Gabby's demise :eyepop:
I hope she climbs back to victory like Adam.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Midnightghoul posted:

Eh, no reason for Davie to stray from the group since he wasn't going to be the target anyway. Ultimately got what he wanted if Christian played the idol anyway

I think it's jury management too. If Christian gets voted out, Davie could claim that he tipped him off because "he didn't want to get rid of a shield" while almost everyone else's vote was based on emotion (Nick, Gabby). If Christian makes F3, he could then say he saved his rear end a bunch of times.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

This season is terrific

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Hahahaha

Hahahahahahahaha

This season is terrific

We could see the return of Goliath Strong alliance. Less biblical, more Greek tragedy. The Davids were outnumbered the entire game, fought and struggled and played idols and when they finally managed to gain advantage they threw it away.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 6, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the Davids collectively pulled a Zeke.

drat, Gabby, you really mucked that up.

I GET why she went for it but it really does seem like a prime example of that "Don't make big moves just to make them" thing. The fact that it bit back immediately unlike something like Alec's Natalia movie is just poetic and great tv. Ultimately Gabby was right that she probably needed some big moves and to oust Christian if she wanted to win, but she just didn't have the game position or allies to pull that off and it was dumb/arrogant of her to think she did.

Sadly Christian feels a little dead in the water but things are still a little fluid with Allison/Kara and Davie not really feeling the idea of working with Nick/Angelina/Mike. So I don't think he's necessarily dead yet. And Nick's motivations seemed largely about sour grapes and resentment that he got played for once so he could always get over that.

I was saying that one of my main things of interest was how Nick reacted to finally being on the wrong side of things and caught pulling something and I wasn't exactly impressed. But Davie impressed me a little bit about taking a step back, not being sore about the move, and trying to figure out his best game position.

Also LOL on Angelina bringing up the rice to his mom.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Do we know if the final four has a firemaking challenge again or did they ditch that after the reception from the last two seasons?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Do we know if the final four has a firemaking challenge again or did they ditch that after the reception from the last two seasons?
"It's here to stay" - Jeff. Rob and Fishbach seemed to think the players know. IDK if they were told before the game but at a minimum they should expect it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Gabby was in a pretty bad spot the last few weeks, so even though this blew up I’m not sure it was a bad idea.

The way she went home was really a bad beat (one leaker, and co-conspirators surprisingly making her the backup vote).

So let’s pretend the vote had gone through. Take out Christian and she becomes very respected. I feel like she would still have Allison and by extension Kara pretty close after the vote. But that would leave her opposite Nick, Davie, and Angelina. That would make Mike the swing vote, who she might reasonably believe she can get. But do those 4 people let her make f3? And Angelina still might be tempting to bring to the end too.

On the other hand, maybe people turn on “Wonder Woman” Allison first, and then Kara is seen as a bigger threat than Gabby, and then she sneaks into the end. And, what better path did she have anyway? Every David beats her, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

"It's here to stay" - Jeff. Rob and Fishbach seemed to think the players know. IDK if they were told before the game but at a minimum they should expect it.
Jeff probably loved the way it saved Ben and then loved it again in Ghost Island when it got Wendell to the end for a showdown with Dom. I’m more convinced than ever that it is absolute trash.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vernacular posted:

Its kinda something to think about a season like Cook Islands even getting the green light, let alone in today's social climate. I never actually watched it. Was it pretty awkward at times? Just cringing at the thought of Jeff hammering away at the racial theme like he does for the themes of new seasons like David vs Goliath, MvGX, etc.

It had awkward moments, but mostly just because it's Survivor. There was some racial ham and poo poo at the beginning, but relatively few cringe moments related to that. I was actually kind of disappointed, I was really expecting to be flipping my lid every episode over bass-ackwards 00s politics, but the premise of it alone is weirder than anything that happened on it.

I don't think I'd be good at survivor, but I'd be fun on survivor. Definitely make it at least part ways through but I'm totally ending up on a tribe that is slow to start and gets dominated by the other tribe until they throw a challenge or someone doesn't poo poo for 2 weeks and has to leave.

Pinterest Mom posted:

speaking of cook islands: oh no

Wow, I was wondering for a moment why you shared that but drat, that's a pretty evil move. I wish we could vote him and Facebook off the island.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 6, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think Gabby aimed for Christian one tribal too soon, but I do think she needed to make her own move in order to be able to win.

She should have pressed to vote out Mike or Angelina this tribal, while trying to solidify something with Kara/Alison for the next tribal, but that probably would have been a hard sell.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Gabby was in a pretty bad spot the last few weeks, so even though this blew up I’m not sure it was a bad idea.

The way she went home was really a bad beat (one leaker, and co-conspirators surprisingly making her the backup vote).

So let’s pretend the vote had gone through. Take out Christian and she becomes very respected. I feel like she would still have Allison and by extension Kara pretty close after the vote. But that would leave her opposite Nick, Davie, and Angelina. That would make Mike the swing vote, who she might reasonably believe she can get. But do those 4 people let her make f3? And Angelina still might be tempting to bring to the end too.

On the other hand, maybe people turn on “Wonder Woman” Allison first, and then Kara is seen as a bigger threat than Gabby, and then she sneaks into the end. And, what better path did she have anyway? Every David beats her, right?

I'm very sympathetic to Gabby's decision because, as you said, she was in a real bad game position. Her only real allies were Christian and Allison and Christian was pushing for them to take the easy route and work with the Davids to vote out Allison. But that pretty much puts Gabby back in the same position she would have been last week if she had voted out Allison. Maybe marginally better if she trusted Christian to have her back against Nick and Davie with the sides even, but still basically as the person with the smallest resume and least amount of respect in a Final Four (assuming its the same Final Four scenario and they're planning for that).

I just think it was a really bad gamble to work out for Gabby. Like the leakers and backstabbers weren't terribly unexpected considering they were people she just blindsided and had no real trust with. And like, I can understand the desire to do SOMETHING when forced into a corner but that doesn't necessarily make it the right decision.

But ultimately I don't know what Gabby should have done because she probably shouldn't have voted Allison either and she probably shouldn't have pushed to vote out Nick/Davie and give the Goliaths the numbers back. She could have pushed for Mike/Kara/Angelina but that probably would have made her protecting Allison a liability. The only real angle I can see is trying to get all the women together but Angelina doesn't seem amenable to that. So it was just a lovely, lovely game position with no obvious good options.

So I'm sympathetic. I understand and respect that she felt she had to do something but even if it hadn't gone as bad as humanly possible it seemed really bad odds anyway. Like even if she hadn't been voted out she would have lost Allison from the game and Christian's trust. And as you said, if it had worked at best she's arguably hoping she can hide behind Allison with her new resume while the people she blindsided now have the numbers. It was a bold move but so is jumping without a parachute.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 6, 2018

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I'm very sympathetic to Gabby's decision because, as you said, she was in a real bad game position. Her only real allies were Christian and Allison and Christian was pushing for them to take the easy route and work with the Davids to vote out Allison. But that pretty much puts Gabby back in the same position she would have been last week if she had voted out Allison. Maybe marginally better if she trusted Christian to have her back against Nick and Davie with the sides even, but still basically as the person with the smallest resume and least amount of respect in a Final Four (assuming its the same Final Four scenario and they're planning for that).

I just think it was a really bad gamble to work out for Gabby. Like the leakers and backstabbers weren't terribly unexpected considering they were people she just blindsided and had no real trust with. And like, I can understand the desire to do SOMETHING when forced into a corner but that doesn't necessarily make it the right decision.

But ultimately I don't know what Gabby should have done because she probably shouldn't have voted Allison either and she probably shouldn't have pushed to vote out Nick/Davie and give the Goliaths the numbers back. She could have pushed for Mike/Kara/Angelina but that probably would have made her protecting Allison a liability. So it was just a lovely, lovely game position with no obvious good options.

So I'm sympathetic. I understand and respect that she felt she had to do something but it couldn't have possibly gone any worse. Like even if she hadn't been voted out she would have lost Allison from the game and Christian's trust. It was a bold move but so is jumping without a parachute.

Yeah, it's a hard sell to push the vote away from Alison, but maybe it could have moved to Mike/Angelina except I feel like people are carrying them towards the end as goats. However, I'm just not sure that's the right way to think about them. Maybe it's true separately, but since they are still both around and together they make a screwy little voting bloc that you can't really trust. So I feel like framing it that way might get people to realize that it's best to take out one of them first.

However, while I'm sure the Alison/Kara/Gabby bloc would vote that way and might be able to bring in Christian, the only other play who might be willing to vote out one of Mike/Angelina is likely to be Davie. Nick wouldn't want to take out Mike and is probably bringing Angelina along as a goat/vote, plus all four of them seemed like they sort of made a final four alliance while on the reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Davie is shaky on really wanting that Final Four but he seems savvy enough that he doesn't want to outright betray them. So he tipped off Christian to use his idol and then stuck with the plan and let it work itself out. Which I think was pretty decently well played (and ironically what we gave Alec the credit for doing that he said he absolutely wasn't).

For Angelina and Mike it probably makes sense to want to go to the end together as their best bets against each other, and Nick probably assumes he can beat both of them. But I'm not really sure what Davie's path to the end looks like.

MAYBE Gabby could have pushed the Mike/Angelina thing but I think it would have just essentially made the Gabby/Allison thing a bigger deal and a bigger threat than a pair of potential goats. So like, every play Gabby had seems like it came with a low probability of helping her game and a high risk of backfiring. So I dunno.