Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

dissss posted:

Youtube is a different case to normal web browsing because it serves avc to Edge and vp9 to Chrome. If you force avc in Chrome using h264ify the gap will close.

Ah sorry, that was just an example - even general browsing or whatever get the same results for me (also h264ify never actually worked for me, but that's a different issue :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Klyith posted:

the security of a local-only password, such as a wifi password or pc login, are very different than online accounts. in that case the attacker needs physical access, like for your pc, or is rate-limited, like for your wifi, in his attacks.

similarly, the key that protects your password vault can be much lower in complexity than the passwords it contains. because it uses math that takes actual time to chew through. use a 4 word phrase if you like, it's way overkill but nothing wrong with that. 2 words would do fine when the attacker is limited to tens of guesses per second.

the problem with MS-linked accounts is they force you to use an online password for your local pc. who the gently caress wants to type corporal deceiving unblessed reputably prancing every time they wake their pc from sleep?

but mostly people should just stop linking that dumb xkcd comic. or any xkcd comic.

That's why MS tries to push PIN login over password login. Use a super-complex password for your MS account, and then set a 4 or 5 digit PIN to login with it locally.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Ah sorry, that was just an example - even general browsing or whatever get the same results for me (also h264ify never actually worked for me, but that's a different issue :v:)

How do you know h264ify wasn't working (did you check the Stats for Nerds?)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, works fine on my laptop that still has a Skylake (that generation doesn't have full hardware decoding support for VP9).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Atomizer posted:

How do you know h264ify wasn't working (did you check the Stats for Nerds?)

Well, it apparently works now so I guess I won't complain about that but yeah when I tried it before Stats for Nerds always showed VP9 in use and /html5check showed it supported it. Oh well, problem solved a bit, I guess!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Remember the old days when it was supposed to be a thing that windows would update in the background and not require a reboot for most updates? :argh:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Edge delivers noticeably better battery life than Chrome however Chrome is a million years faster with less issues. It'd be nice if the memory consumption was less but given that nearly everyone has 4GB RAM or greater and being a power user myself with gobs of RAM I really don't care.

I'll pay extra so I'm able to open gobs of Chrome tabs at lighting speed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

redeyes posted:

Remember the old days when it was supposed to be a thing that windows would update in the background and not require a reboot for most updates? :argh:

Ah yes, the old days when every Patch Tuesday downloaded 10 billion separate updates, and if one broke poo poo, you had to uninstall every one individually until you found the problematic one.

Also, no, I don’t, because almost every update required a restart anyway.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well, it apparently works now so I guess I won't complain about that but yeah when I tried it before Stats for Nerds always showed VP9 in use and /html5check showed it supported it. Oh well, problem solved a bit, I guess!

Happy to help! :tipshat:

redeyes posted:

To be fair this kind of happens already, you just don't notice the updates that don't require a reboot, and it doesn't really matter if 9/10 updates don't need a reboot because the one that does is the inconvenient one.

Tab8715 posted:

Edge delivers noticeably better battery life than Chrome however Chrome is a million years faster with less issues. It'd be nice if the memory consumption was less but given that nearly everyone has 4GB RAM or greater and being a power user myself with gobs of RAM I really don't care.

I'll pay extra so I'm able to open gobs of Chrome tabs at lighting speed.

Yeah I'll take, "works well and quickly" over "works poorly but lets you do it over a longer period of time" any day. Also I browse with a Chromebook so I end up with great battery life anyway.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
What's the best way to buy a windows key these days? Should I just buy it through Microsoft when I do my install?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Reality Winter posted:

What's the best way to buy a windows key these days? Should I just buy it through Microsoft when I do my install?

You buy a Windows 7 Pro OEM key from eBay or SA Mart. Unless you are a business who wants to do everything by the book.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're any sort of business you probably shouldn't do it.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

mystes posted:

If you're any sort of business you probably shouldn't do it.

Well if they are a European company it would probably still legal for them as long as the source for the keys is legitimate. They just need to be prepared for questions from BSA. I wonder if a company could even reuse the keys from old PCs they've trashed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

Well if they are a European company it would probably still legal for them as long as the source for the keys is legitimate. They just need to be prepared for questions from BSA. I wonder if a company could even reuse the keys from old PCs they've trashed.

If you have a digital entitlement (converted from 7 or 8/8.1 key) there is nothing to even check on. If its entitled, its licensed via MS.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, Windows rebooted on me in the middle of the night.... thanks, Windows. It's not like I needed that loving render to be done this morning.

And then I check to see WHY it rebooted, and Google turns up this: https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-halts-yet-another-windows-10-update-after-blue-screen-of-death-errors

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, Windows rebooted on me in the middle of the night.... thanks, Windows. It's not like I needed that loving render to be done this morning.

And then I check to see WHY it rebooted, and Google turns up this: https://www.techradar.com/news/microsoft-halts-yet-another-windows-10-update-after-blue-screen-of-death-errors

So you had a BSOD or received an update that might cause a BSOD?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, seeing as how the render that I had set to run overnight was interrupted by the restart associated with that, *I* had a BSOD.

No, just a heads-up that Microsoft is pushing updates that might break poo poo.

Again.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, they're back with their old shenanigans. https://xkcd.com/323/

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, seeing as how the render that I had set to run overnight was interrupted by the restart associated with that, *I* had a BSOD.

Again.

Don't use a consumer OS for critical tasks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yes, windows shouldn’t be used for critical tasks anymore since it’s now perpetual testing

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Yes, windows shouldn’t be used

FTFY

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Yes, windows should be used

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

crestfallen posted:

MS is probly talented enough

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Again.

Did you click it?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Again.

It's your own fault for still being on 1803. Punishment for not staying current.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Lambert posted:

It's your own fault for still being on 1803. Punishment for not staying current.

While I personally haven't had issues Oh no wait my laptop actually hard froze every week when it would retry a bad update until I deleted the windows update cache.

Staying current is in no way a good thing nowadays. If you don't stay current you get owned by crypto, if you do stay current you get owned by MS.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Geemer posted:

While I personally haven't had issues Oh no wait my laptop actually hard froze every week when it would retry a bad update until I deleted the windows update cache.

Staying current is in no way a good thing nowadays. If you don't stay current you get owned by crypto, if you do stay current you get owned by MS.

Okay, here's your etch-a-sketch.

E: wait sorry it won't fit in the screen; you'll have to go replace your general-purpose computer with an etch-a-sketch on your own.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Geemer posted:

Yeah the "people who don't update are dumb" attitude of this thread made more sense before updates were breaking everything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

nielsm posted:

Did you click it?
That available with the Home edition? Just curious, because I have Pro and can't verify.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

It's not, from what I could tell.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Yeah the "people who don't update are dumb" attitude of this thread made more sense before updates were breaking everything.

I'm all for having up-to-date software, but not this buggy-rear end poo poo that's been coming from MS pretty consistently now. My original complaint was about having to either force install the most recent (read: buggy) update or let the OS update randomly and reboot at an inappropriate time. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

Combat Pretzel posted:

That available with the Home edition? Just curious, because I have Pro and can't verify.

Home doesn't have that option, although you can postpone a reboot for up to a week IIRC, if you catch it in the brief window of time post-update but pre-reboot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Figured that. Great tip that was. Someone gonna go off on a tangent like "Hurrr, if you do professional work, you should get the Pro version" now?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mystes posted:

Can't really argue that, but at this point everyone who uses Windows to do important work should be well aware of the fact that it may reboot without warning if there is an update pending.

If you have an important long-running task to start that must not be interrupted, and for some reason you must run it on a desktop version of Windows, you should at least by now be aware of the need to make sure you don't have updates pending.

Also by this point vendors of the sort of software that people are likely to start long-running jobs with really should have put some effort in to allowing those jobs to save their progress intermittently and pick up where they left off after a reboot. Regardless of OS, sometimes things happen that interrupt the system, but especially those applications that are likely to be run on desktop OSes need to be able to handle those situations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's why I complained about the manual checking for updates process; I was doing it to get the update/reboot out of the way early so as not to interrupt a batch job, but I don't want buggy updates that ended up being optional anyway (because they were so buggy they got pulled.)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How do I make Windows 10 prefer the 5ghz band of my dual band router? It keeps defaulting to the slow-rear end 2.4 even when I know the 5ghz is strong (my Android phone can even figure this out)

mystes
May 31, 2006

smoobles posted:

How do I make Windows 10 prefer the 5ghz band of my dual band router? It keeps defaulting to the slow-rear end 2.4 even when I know the 5ghz is strong (my Android phone can even figure this out)
At least before AC, the best thing was to just give them different essids and make the 5ghz one higher priority so your computer will connect to it when you're close enough to the router. The problem is the 2.4ghz one will always look stronger but it will have more interference.

I think AC is supposed to be smarter but YMMV.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's not, but that's only sort of Windows' fault for trusting OEMs for poo poo. If the driver gives Windows garbage to work with, well...

Most Windows devices with WLAN use Intel stacks (don't get me started). For those you need to find the adapter in Device Manager (View: Devices by type; Network adapters > Intel Wireless whatever; Advanced > Preferred band: Prefer 5GHz band).

But yes, using different names for different bands and then only using the high band for 5 GHz-capable devices is a classic for a reason. 2.4 GHz is screwed basically everywhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

smoobles posted:

Go to Device Manager and choose your network adapter. On the 'Advanced' tab you should see an option to choose which band to connect to. You'll get different options depending on your network adapter, my Surface Pro (which has the worlds worst network card) gives an option on 2,4GHz only or 5GHz only whereas the Intel cards have an option for preferred band.

Really though it's easier to just create two SSIDs

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

dissss posted:

my Surface Pro (which has the worlds worst network card)

ha! HA! HAAA!

Until you have encountered the realtek rtl8723, you have no idea how bad the world's worst wifi network card is.

wolrah posted:

Can't really argue that, but at this point everyone who uses Windows to do important work should be well aware of the fact that it may reboot without warning if there is an update pending.

If you have an important long-running task to start that must not be interrupted, and for some reason you must run it on a desktop version of Windows, you should at least by now be aware of the need to make sure you don't have updates pending.

Also by this point vendors of the sort of software that people are likely to start long-running jobs with really should have put some effort in to allowing those jobs to save their progress intermittently and pick up where they left off after a reboot.

So what you're saying is that 2019 should be the year of Linux on The Desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey fellas, my windows are hosed right up, maybe you can help?

Captain Invictus posted:

Okay! Update on the tv issue. Plugging it into my old tv and then back into my new one fixed it, right. Shut it down and went to bed, woke up, turned it on, it's not working again. So something is happening to prevent it from detecting it normally on startup until it's been plugged into a different screen first, what can I do to fix that?

Edit: Welp, on screen but can't do anything because it's so zoomed in, restarting does not work. How the gently caress do I fix THIS now, before I even get to the tv recognition issue

Edit: got it zoomed out a little bit, but most of the screen is still not visible and I can't change the resolution.

Edit: somehow it seems to have set itself to have dual monitors as when I scroll the mouse to one side of the screen when I can't access stuff it loops back around and I can access the stuff on the screen now. The resolution has set itself to 3840x2160 and I can't change it, it's greyed out.

This is fun and exciting

Edit: seems the drivers are hosed, but because the display is hosed, I can't access anything I download because it's not onscreen. Even the Microsoft help can't figure it out, they're trying to do the remote access thing to fix it but lol I can't even open the file for that for them to get into it.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 9, 2018