Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise: Man, this just isn't as strong as the Yakuza games for some reason. Without a run button I can't actually get away from enemies trying to start a fight with me and they're actually pretty quick too so I get caught a lot of the time if they do start getting agitated.

Plus there's also so many enemies to every fight that I'm actually starting to get worn down on the game.

the game was made by the new hires at their studio, basically. its alright for an "our first big game" project but for a spinoff using a widely beloved ip, not so great.

my biggest problem is: there's no good way to break an enemy's guard. i do the charge attacks, but i can only get about two more hits in before the enemy puts their guard back up. there's some skill at the end of the skill tree and you have to complete all the toki fights to get it that lets you break the enemy's guard if you're good enough, but i only glossed over this right at the end of the game and was annoyed that i'd have to have basically saved up all my skill orbs throughout the entire game to get to that.

also, the story is really barebones and the characters like souther/raoh/toki/rei are underutilized. didn't even have shu or yuda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hey Skellige people in Witcher 3. Your lovely boat I stole sunk when I ran over a floating 2x4. Maybe you aren't the seafaring power you think you are.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

the game was made by the new hires at their studio, basically. its alright for an "our first big game" project but for a spinoff using a widely beloved ip, not so great.

my biggest problem is: there's no good way to break an enemy's guard. i do the charge attacks, but i can only get about two more hits in before the enemy puts their guard back up. there's some skill at the end of the skill tree and you have to complete all the toki fights to get it that lets you break the enemy's guard if you're good enough, but i only glossed over this right at the end of the game and was annoyed that i'd have to have basically saved up all my skill orbs throughout the entire game to get to that.

also, the story is really barebones and the characters like souther/raoh/toki/rei are underutilized. didn't even have shu or yuda

Oh that explains it. All I knew about FOTNS was Kenshiro, Hokuto Shinken and Shin's the one who put those scars on him. It being a new hire's work makes sense because Ken's a pretty quiet character at the best of times and they're not giving me a whole lot of character. I'm not being drawn into side quests like Pocket Circuit did for Yakuza 0 and Kiwami.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

For some stupid reason you have to balance a single player power fantasy and Bethesda is bad at balance on top of that.

You do have to balance a single player power fantasy because you need to make sure that the guy who picked sneaky daggerman or whatever doesn't get screwed over because all the content is instead balanced for magic muscleman and there was no way to know that at character creation.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

You do have to balance a single player power fantasy because you need to make sure that the guy who picked sneaky daggerman or whatever doesn't get screwed over because all the content is instead balanced for magic muscleman and there was no way to know that at character creation.

Exactly. If Skyrim could be Just A Two Handed No Shirt Barbarian Simulator (or any other specific fantasy) it'd be rad as heck but it needs to be a Watered Down Anything Simulator so you wind up with pissweak magic that can't do anything but replicate what swords and bows and shouts already do, stealth that's ludicrously broken because the guarding system wasn't built to accommodate archers, and the dance of crafting ten thousand daggers because everyone wants to be a blacksmith these days.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

5e magic is actually ok, you get a lot of utility but can cast precisely 1 (one) ongoing spell, and risk losing it whenever someone hits you. It's a clever nerf to the 3.5 style, while still leaving lots of room to be a clever magic rear end in a top hat.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Samuringa posted:

Why bother having magic in your game if you aren't going to do cool poo poo with it? Don't dumb it down, make all the other classes as cool. It's fantasy, you can literally make anything up, that's the entire point of the genre.

Didn't 4e do this, or was it 5e? The one that gave everybody actual videogame-style skills to use in varying amounts (at will, X times per encounter, etc), so that people other than magic-users got to do cool things. Like a Fighter subclass that could heal or buff the party with a warcry, instead of just sitting there making attack rolls.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
4E is the one that tries to make D&D's mechanics actually interesting in their own right rather than just a loose framework for combat.

Take a bit further and you get something like Gloomhaven.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Schubalts posted:

Didn't 4e do this, or was it 5e? The one that gave everybody actual videogame-style skills to use in varying amounts (at will, X times per encounter, etc), so that people other than magic-users got to do cool things. Like a Fighter subclass that could heal or buff the party with a warcry, instead of just sitting there making attack rolls.

5e does it too, it's fairly solid and learned quite a few of the right lessons from 4e.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

bewilderment posted:

They should just make all playstyles overpowered because the current balance in Skrim sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dreadmojo posted:

5e does it too, it's fairly solid and learned quite a few of the right lessons from 4e.

It also brought back piles of bad ones from 3e and didnt, because its the loot box of tabletop, fix the most glaring issues with 4e design.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barudak posted:

It also brought back piles of bad ones from 3e and didnt, because its the loot box of tabletop, fix the most glaring issues with 4e design.

Sure, if you think so. Play the game you enjoy imo

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Barudak posted:

There's lootboxes in 5e?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

There's lootboxes in 5e?

Not actual lootboxes, but 3e, 4e, and 5e all have the albatross of feats and feat bloat permeating them. Buy this splat to scour its back tables of 40 random feats that were never playtested to combine with another one that was poorly written in another book you bought in just the right way to let you do something hideously broken to the game mechanics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Somfin posted:

Exactly. If Skyrim could be Just A Two Handed No Shirt Barbarian Simulator (or any other specific fantasy) it'd be rad as heck but it needs to be a Watered Down Anything Simulator so you wind up with pissweak magic that can't do anything but replicate what swords and bows and shouts already do, stealth that's ludicrously broken because the guarding system wasn't built to accommodate archers, and the dance of crafting ten thousand daggers because everyone wants to be a blacksmith these days.

The crafting thing is obnoxious because even if you aren't trying to powerlevel the skill five minutes after starting the game, you end up needing to do that anyway once you hit 90 because at that point you can no longer buy training. I really don't know what they expected players to be doing at that point because I almost always made a single set of armor/weapons for each tier and that was it. Crafting high grade jewelry helped speed things up a bit, but there's no real use for dozens of diamond necklaces except to sell, so really you might as well just craft yet more cheap daggers. Even factoring in the drip feed of XP you get from making 6 million nails and fittings in Hearthfire, for all three homes, I still maybe only made it to about 95 or so before I resorted to dagger spam.

As the cherry on top, at least for heavy armor, Dragonplate (what you unlock at 100) isn't even strictly top tier - Daedric is slightly better at the expense of weight. Of course, all of that is even further nulled because there's an armor cap that's incredibly easy to reach so it's really down to aesthetics after a certain point.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Dec 6, 2018

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Barudak posted:

Not actual lootboxes, but 3e, 4e, and 5e all have the albatross of feats and feat bloat permeating them. Buy this splat to scour its back tables of 40 random feats that were never playtested to combine with another one that was poorly written in another book you bought in just the right way to let you do something hideously broken to the game mechanics.

Yeah but they got a lot better at balancing the individual splat books and made it so that you can only use one for any organized play. There's a lot less new options per book too. They mostly focus on world building and stuff that they can copyright.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

rodbeard posted:

Yeah but they got a lot better at balancing the individual splat books and made it so that you can only use one for any organized play. There's a lot less new options per book too. They mostly focus on world building and stuff that they can copyright.

Plus rather than feats being something you gain every 3 levels, it’s now every four and you have to choose between that or increasing your core stats. Plus they’re entirely optional. If you don’t want feat bullshit in your game and you’re the DM, you have the option to say no feats.

5e has a lot of problems (I still like it though) but feats really aren’t one of them.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Small brain: My favorite edition is the best edition

Big brain: Your favorite edition is the best edition for you, and that's okay

Galaxy brain: All editions of D&D are dragged down by a lack of focus, and you're better off finding a system that matches your players' roleplaying interests

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Magic overshadowing everything else is the quickest way to make me hate a game or setting, D&D being terrible about this in many cases and it's also why I like most World of Darkness games, the big exception being Mage, which also devolves into super magic powerwank every single time I've tried it, just ain't fun at all for me. (It also doesn't help that any time Mage invades crosses into other games lore it uses all of it's worst asspull aspects to poo poo up otherwise cool situations)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay handles magic users becoming incredibly powerful in a fun way: there's a real good chance that you will lose your mind or accidentally breach the fabric of reality and get eaten by a demon if you frequently use powerful spells.

(Summarising from memory, it's been a while): To cast spells, you roll a number of dice up to your magic stat, and you have to beat the casting cost of the spell. More powerful spells have a higher cost, so you need to roll more dice. If any two dice are showing the same number, you roll on the 'something slightly bad happens' table, which can be as tame as getting a ringing in your ears or bad-but-not-fatal like you start bleeding from your eyes or something. If you roll high on this table, or if you rolled three of the same number, you roll again on the 'this is gonna suck' table, where you're pretty much guaranteed to get hurt or start to lose your mind. Rolling high on THAT table, or rolling four or more of the same number results in a roll on the 'lol you are hosed' table, where there's a decent chance that you're going to be making a new character for the remainder of the session or your character will become permanently insane.

So while you can walk into a room D&D style and cast one spell to kill everything in it, it's a pretty big risk, and it's absolutely hilarious when it all goes horribly wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played AD&D2 with my friends all throughout high school and we bent/broke the rules all the drat time because 1) a good DM senses what’s best for the story that’s unfolding in the moment, and 2) we were idiot kids who probably didn’t understand every bylaw in the manual anyway. The idea that there are D&D lawyers out there who take a strict constructionist approach to something that’s just supposed to facilitate drinking with your friends and having a good time is totally alien to me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay handles magic users becoming incredibly powerful in a fun way: there's a real good chance that you will lose your mind or accidentally breach the fabric of reality and get eaten by a demon if you frequently use powerful spells.

The 40K RPG does the same thing only psykers don't get quite as many insanely powerful things to do. The minor stuff is generally pretty safe but also is more utility stuff than combat stuff. The actually useful combat stuff always has a risk and for actually powerful stuff it isn't a matter of if something terrible happens it's when. I think there are also problems if you use your powers too often so while a sanctioned psyker in the group can be quite an asset everybody is always looking at them nervously as they might just randomly explode into a hole in reality that demons start pouring through.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
The part that made me come away from 3rd edition D&D disappointed was how in the design it seemed like Wizards would learn Spells and Fighters would learn Feats. Except all the spells grow more powerful over time and feats always stayed the same. The first level Magic Missile is just going to improve up to, then a little further past the levels where you can pick up more powerful options at hand. But Dodge or Toughness is going to be the same bonus. 5th seemed to fix that a little; it's not the worst idea just very, very poorly implemented.

And Arcanum is all about things dragging it down for me. I only played it years afterwards so I didn't have that initial novelty factor; I finally start to play because everyone talks about how cool it is to play some gunslinger in a land of wizards. And then ask my friends when this whole technology thing takes off, where it turns out you have to jump through all these separate hoops to get there. Like putting off the basic as poo poo newbie dungeon as long as possible because whoops it's a grinding slog with the wrong build, having to skip around to find this that and the other thing, then backtracking to actually start the game on parity with a wizard.

Then gently caress it, just play a wizard. And all the writing and quests are okay. Not great, I never got what really set it apart aside from people wearing velvet tuxes instead of velvet robes. It is nice that you can use diplomacy and persuasion but even at the time of release it wasn't exactly novel or all that impressive.

Finally, get to the side quests and follow up on mysteries and find the smug edgey rape camp. gently caress that poo poo and gently caress Arcanum.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The 40K RPG does the same thing only psykers don't get quite as many insanely powerful things to do. The minor stuff is generally pretty safe but also is more utility stuff than combat stuff. The actually useful combat stuff always has a risk and for actually powerful stuff it isn't a matter of if something terrible happens it's when. I think there are also problems if you use your powers too often so while a sanctioned psyker in the group can be quite an asset everybody is always looking at them nervously as they might just randomly explode into a hole in reality that demons start pouring through.

Which is why the voice acting for the Psyker unit in Dawn of War is so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpmiq8sTH0k

He also has a random chance to die whenever he uses a power.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

WendyO posted:

Finally, get to the side quests and follow up on mysteries and find the smug edgey rape camp. gently caress that poo poo and gently caress Arcanum.

I don't blame you for feeling that way. The frequency in Fallout 2 of female characters having the option of prostituting themselves to the scuzziest characters in the game for minimal gain is actually dragging the game down for me to some extent this time through. It also seems edgy and juvenile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I played both of them before FO3 came out and while I really enjoyed Fallout 1, Fallout 2 is some of the least fun I've ever had playing a game. It was barely functional to boot.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Salt and Sanctuary is a nice little 2D Dark Souls clone that I'm finally getting around to.
The character art, though.

It's like newgrounds flash game quality.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They look like Muppets.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WendyO posted:

Is this the same side quest as the one where you find out that the Jews have been conducting evil experiments to encourage race-mixing and water down pure white bloodlines, or a different one

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Poulpe posted:

Salt and Sanctuary is a nice little 2D Dark Souls clone that I'm finally getting around to.
The character art, though.

It's like newgrounds flash game quality.

It's weird because aside from human faces the art is actually pretty good. I think it's the artist's "personal style" or something but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a significant negative impact on the game's sales. It seems to be the first thing everyone notices, and not in a good way. It's a shame because the game is pretty great otherwise, some balance issues aside (why can poison and daggers never be good in these things :qq:).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Ska artstyle is 100% why I've never touched any of their games, and a couple of them have looked decent aside from the art.

Sidebar: Games that you avoided due to artstyle

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a good one. Looks really smooth when it's in motion and I even knew the artist from NeoGAF and he seemed like good people but, my god

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Small brain: My favorite edition is the best edition

Big brain: Your favorite edition is the best edition for you, and that's okay

Galaxy brain: All editions of D&D are dragged down by a lack of focus, and you're better off finding a system that matches your players' roleplaying interests

Yeah, the basic problem with D&D is that its roleplaying by way of wargaming. I think pretty literally, I remember hearing about how wizards originally were designed by adapting Chainmail wargame rules about siege engines for a game scenario where Gygax wanted an army to sneak through sewers or something, but that may be apocryphal. For some people thats not a problem but a feature, personally I'm with you. D&D is fine, and a perfectly good introduction to tabletop roll playing games. But once you've been introduced, I guarantee there is a better system that has all the stuff you like about D&D but with far fewer of the things that bug you, or you always house rule or ignore.

exquisite tea posted:

I played AD&D2 with my friends all throughout high school and we bent/broke the rules all the drat time because 1) a good DM senses what’s best for the story that’s unfolding in the moment, and 2) we were idiot kids who probably didn’t understand every bylaw in the manual anyway. The idea that there are D&D lawyers out there who take a strict constructionist approach to something that’s just supposed to facilitate drinking with your friends and having a good time is totally alien to me.

Hey fellow AD&D 2E in highschool player! I think part of the problem is that a lot of people get into the game as young teenagers, often through wargaming (games workshop etc), and completely gloss over the "co-operative" nature of RPG gaming and storytelling.They see it as an adversarial game like 40K, so you have to use the rules to "win", and making the most optimised character is like building the most optimised army list for a wargame. When you look at the 2E rulebooks, some ridiculous percentage of them boils down to "combat rules, stuff to use in combat, and stuff to fight in combat", while the "Guys, work together and have fun" bit is in the foreword to the DMG and thats mainly it. What constitutes winning to them will vary, I've met (bad) players who took pride in killing player characters, or breaking an adventure/scenario/campaign by abusing obscure rules interactions, or by playing selfish so they have more stuff than the rest of the party. A lot of them got over it and became better players., others quit playing, but some I guess never do either.

And hey, if somewhere out there is a group consisting of an adverserial DM trying to "fairly" kill off the entire party, and players who are trying to break the campaign and they are all having fun, more power to them. But individually those players drag the game down for everyone else something fierce.

And there is a ""PYF Stuff (both good stuff and dragging the game down stuff) about tabletop games" thread, if anyone is interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867124 Its a quieter thread, but I always like reading about this stuff.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Sidebar: Games that you avoided due to artstyle

Rimworld is a game that I would otherwise really enjoy but god everything about its aesthetic is dreadful

WoW is a game I played and enjoyed despite its art style

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Mary Jane and Miles stealth segments in Spiderman are so bad. Which is a shame because the rest of the game is an absolute blast.

Mandatory, unskippable, insta-fail stealth bits in non-sneaky games are my second least favourite thing in games, behind sections where your character is injured and you have to hold up on the left stick for ages to make them walk incredibly slowly while sad music plays.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

exquisite tea posted:

Well you see, the thing is that in the modern day there are actually RPGs that are genuinely designed so that they actually play best when done 100% by the book. Like, the designers designed the rules such that they actually supported the intended genre/story.

"I ignore the rules when they don't suit the story" is basically code for "the game I'm playing is either lovely, or lovely for my intended purpose" because if you were playing a good game then you wouldn't need to ignore the rules.

It's just that DnD5e isn't one of those games and is basically coasting on pop culture nostalgia and popping up just as streaming was getting big.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I feel really bad for handing D&D 3.0 books to a kid who went to the day care I used to work at. They're needlessly complex and for an 11 year old Dungeon World probably would have been a better gift since that plays how i always wanted D&D to play.

But four years later the kid plays weekly with his friends so gently caress it I'm counting it as a win.

Edit: more BotW Majors Tests of Strength aren't fun.

Len has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Dec 7, 2018

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

bewilderment posted:

Well you see, the thing is that in the modern day there are actually RPGs that are genuinely designed so that they actually play best when done 100% by the book. Like, the designers designed the rules such that they actually supported the intended genre/story.

"I ignore the rules when they don't suit the story" is basically code for "the game I'm playing is either lovely, or lovely for my intended purpose" because if you were playing a good game then you wouldn't need to ignore the rules.

It's just that DnD5e isn't one of those games and is basically coasting on pop culture nostalgia and popping up just as streaming was getting big.

Ehhh breaking the rules is fine if you're going to be a GM imo. If a player comes up with something really creative and exciting that makes sense within their character, but a dice roll meant that random chance catastrophically hosed them over, that's not really fun for anyone. I've got a few rulebooks from different systems that encourage this sort of thing, because ultimately an RPG is about having a fun collaboratively constructed narrative with friends more than it is about numbers porn. At least it should be.

But agreed that D&D is just kinda bad because the rules don't reward fun/creative play so you pretty much have to ignore the rules to make it good.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Quote-Unquote posted:

Ehhh breaking the rules is fine if you're going to be a GM imo. If a player comes up with something really creative and exciting that makes sense within their character, but a dice roll meant that random chance catastrophically hosed them over, that's not really fun for anyone. I've got a few rulebooks from different systems that encourage this sort of thing, because ultimately an RPG is about having a fun collaboratively constructed narrative with friends more than it is about numbers porn. At least it should be.

But agreed that D&D is just kinda bad because the rules don't reward fun/creative play so you pretty much have to ignore the rules to make it good.

I don't know if it's in every version of it but in Paranoia rulebooks the rules section is often labelled "optional." That's actually one of the most important things for a GM to realize in the end; if the rules get in the way of having fun or telling a good story then the fun and the story win.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

The Moon Monster posted:

It's weird because aside from human faces the art is actually pretty good. I think it's the artist's "personal style" or something but I'd be surprised if it didn't have a significant negative impact on the game's sales. It seems to be the first thing everyone notices, and not in a good way. It's a shame because the game is pretty great otherwise, some balance issues aside (why can poison and daggers never be good in these things :qq:).

They look like humans to you?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

WendyO posted:

Not getting any google hits on this, but I'm not super stoked entering a bunch of rape searches into google either. I've never heard this knock against this game before, can you give me some googleable information or a link about it I can read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

Oh that explains it. All I knew about FOTNS was Kenshiro, Hokuto Shinken and Shin's the one who put those scars on him. It being a new hire's work makes sense because Ken's a pretty quiet character at the best of times and they're not giving me a whole lot of character. I'm not being drawn into side quests like Pocket Circuit did for Yakuza 0 and Kiwami.

Ken's always been a quiet guy, and yes, that bit at the beginning where he watches this kid's dad get murdered and then kills the guys, only for the kid to run away into the distance is the truest thing to the series it has after the tutorial. that whole "you're fine now" line still irritates me. the kid's dad is dead, he runs off without the supplies left behind, into an unknown desert full of guys just like the ones that killed his dad, and he's fine???