Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

hmm turns out that turrets DO work, if you have a mission to destroy them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sandoz posted:

hmm turns out that turrets DO work, if you have a mission to destroy them
I wonder if this is related to how mines are only easily detected and targetable if you have a mission to destroy them?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

no, it's related to the fact that you have to fly straight at turrets to shoot them

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yea turrets technically "work" they just can't track moving targets well enough to hit them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

You can specifically see the behavior with bean turrets.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Taerkar posted:

You can specifically see the behavior with bean turrets.

The turrets have been thinking (slowly) about thos beans.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The thing that DOESN't work is me being able to find a sacrificial ship for this stupid loving early game mission. He tell you go find a new ship, here's some money! Then messages popping up about it'll take a while to afford a new ship, go explore trade think fight whatever, and holy i just need a cheap lovely ship.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I found a cheap Kestrel with minimum loadout for like 170k and then made it my new ship and blew up the starter ship cause it sucks.

Find the wharf not a shipyard.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Check your the new pilot's stats to see if they are better than your current one :v:

"You have stuck with me for so long, Zero piloting person. Here is a shiny new ship! A Callisto courier, just for you. I even gave it a pair of pulse lasers so you very definitely know it's not a trap."

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 6, 2018

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Duodecimal posted:

There's also a couple different types of asteroids - the long range scanner gives a higher pitch yellow ping for flattish brown asteroids with rust-colored patches. They explode violently when you shot their armor all the way down, taking out your ship.

I got one of those signals and got blown up by one of those asteroids. Decided to go back and finish all of them off (just stay 3 km out). Nothing happened :smith:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

a mysterious cloak posted:

The thing that DOESN't work is me being able to find a sacrificial ship for this stupid loving early game mission. He tell you go find a new ship, here's some money! Then messages popping up about it'll take a while to afford a new ship, go explore trade think fight whatever, and holy i just need a cheap lovely ship.

If you do a loop on the highway you'll uncover several shipyards and wharves. There are more out there in sectors away from the highway but that gets you started.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Teladi station got ticked off I grazed them a few times with the starting spaceship's gun, none of the cops had an option to apologise and the station wouldn't talk to me. Is there a way to get out of that? Do I need to load a savegame or put up with that station being enemies forever? (I got blown up this time)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

Teladi station got ticked off I grazed them a few times with the starting spaceship's gun, none of the cops had an option to apologise and the station wouldn't talk to me. Is there a way to get out of that? Do I need to load a savegame or put up with that station being enemies forever? (I got blown up this time)

No if you stay away for a while they'll go back to neutral.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

nessin posted:

If you do a loop on the highway you'll uncover several shipyards and wharves. There are more out there in sectors away from the highway but that gets you started.

This should really go in the OP. If you’ve just started, the first thing you should do is go on a loop on the highway.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

This should really go in the OP. If you’ve just started, the first thing you should do is go on a loop on the highway.

I was confused why I wasn't finding the highway in any of my sectors until I finally stumbled on it and realized how it works. Yeah it's worth doing a loop, not only will you find a bunch of useful stations but you'll get a better sense of how to get around the galaxy.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Is the 'stagnant economy' thing the reason why my size M miners all seem to be stuck in an eternal hell queue waiting to dock at the ore refinery in Argon Prime?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If you're doing transport missions, don't undock the moment your payment clears. There's a Teladi who lives on the ladder from my starting fighter now, just calmly chilling out and saying "Hello" in a calm voice after I finish dogfighting and dock on my frigate.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I bought a Demeter Sentinel so I can do those Food/Medical supply missions smoothly, as I got two right near eachother so why not? Also because hey it looks cool, and 9,840 Cargo isn't that bad for a 2.5 travel speed. Teladi get 12k space but they are slow as poo poo.

It even has two co-pilot chairs, one on either side of the main seat. The seats also have a really cool animation :buddy: They flatten out vertically when you get up, then fold into a traditional chair shape when you go to sit down... But not for NPCs, they are kind of awkwardly standing with their arms held up :v:

There is however, a problem with the crew pathfinding. In a new and fabulous way!

I bought some crew staff as a whim/due to the supposed result of making trader ships work better somehow. They are constantly deciding they want the other chair, and use the shortest distance to it.

The ARG and HAT better appreciate the sacrifice my nutsack is making to deliver them food rations and medical supplies personally.

EDIT: Also, turns out I'm not allowed to sit in the co-pilot chairs :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 6, 2018

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

I bought a Demeter Sentinel so I can do those Food/Medical supply missions smoothly, as I got two right near eachother so why not? Also because hey it looks cool, and 9,840 Cargo isn't that bad for a 2.5 travel speed. Teladi get 12k space but they are slow as poo poo.

It even has two co-pilot chairs, one on either side of the main seat. The seats also have a really cool animation :buddy: They flatten out vertically when you get up, then fold into a traditional chair shape when you go to sit down... But not for NPCs, they are kind of awkwardly standing with their arms held up :v:

There is however, a problem with the crew pathfinding. In a new and fabulous way!

I bought some crew staff as a whim/due to the supposed result of making trader ships work better somehow. They are constantly deciding they want the other chair, and use the shortest distance to it.

The ARG and HAT better appreciate the sacrifice my nutsack is making to deliver them food rations and medical supplies personally.

EDIT: Also, turns out I'm not allowed to sit in the co-pilot chairs :argh:

Yeah I was pretty bummed that I couldn't sit in the co-pilot chairs and that the npcs constantly change seats in front of your face every 40 seconds. I ended up selling that ship and just use a fleet of vultures now. I really love how the paranid M haulers look. All the larger combat ships look silly though

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m partial to the Teladi Giant Mushroom school of naval architecture.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Yeah I was pretty bummed that I couldn't sit in the co-pilot chairs and that the npcs constantly change seats in front of your face every 40 seconds. I ended up selling that ship and just use a fleet of vultures now. I really love how the paranid M haulers look. All the larger combat ships look silly though
I'm sick, I've had a nosebleed, and there is a dead mouse under the sink I need to dispose of.

But I fixed the stupid broken NPC (for now) at least :neckbeard: (And left off realizing I'm poo poo at interpreting the 'it's middle of your screen, until it isn't' mass of trade data to pick out the best sales)

Of COURSE using the faster (by comparison. so many subtabs) option of just bulk assigning all four of my non pilot staff as marines with the sliders didn't take. So I reassigned everyone back to crew with the slider. Dug deeper to comm him specifically, and order him to change to a marine. THEN he left the cockpit, and didn't return when I resassigned him as crew staff via comms.

This also means I'm all alone on the bridge. I'll miss the intended ambiance of a full bridge crew, but it beats the shitshow earlier. There must be something busted with the logic of the paranid bridge in particular above and beyond the usual AI.

I do intend to focus more on Teladi traders when I get up to speed rather than just gently caress around while multitasking. 12k cargo can't be beat for bulk shipping. But that will be because the autotrade AI does not want to kill themselves with a travel speed of 1.4 K tops :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 6, 2018

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Either I'm missing something, or you can't actually do any mining control yourself in the L mining barges? There's no turret control options or anything. Ramming speed through belts is pretty effective though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The turrets do work but I don't know how you turn them on when you're flying it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Slickdrac posted:

Either I'm missing something, or you can't actually do any mining control yourself in the L mining barges? There's no turret control options or anything. Ramming speed through belts is pretty effective though.

I thought L-ships used drones to mine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pixaal posted:

I thought L-ships used drones to mine.

They use drones to collect.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

I thought they used both? I purchased a large miner which had no turrets but a miner drone and a collector drone. However, I am probably wrong with what it is supposed to be because there's no explanation on anything in the menus.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So it seems you can't gas mine yourself? There's no button or ability to do it yourself? That kind of sucks.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 6, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Apparently there is a patch coming to the beta branch, maybe today, that will make the factions more warlike.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

OwlFancier posted:

The turrets do work but I don't know how you turn them on when you're flying it.

Top of your screen, cockpit view, turn off mouse steering. You can click the shield icon (defend me, I assume), and change it to one that looks like an asteroid (which mines nearby asteroids, I assume).

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

NeurosisHead posted:

Top of your screen, cockpit view, turn off mouse steering. You can click the shield icon (defend me, I assume), and change it to one that looks like an asteroid (which mines nearby asteroids, I assume).

I dunno about normal turrets on the L mining ships, but mining lasers didn't show up at all

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

nessin posted:

I'll give this a whirl tonight. Thanks!

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

What's a good first station to build? I have a small mining fleet (1 mineral, 2 gas) so would it be best to process the stuff they mine or is there something else more profitable?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So for the phq need a dock first, can I just fly around until I find a constructor and then hire them through the PHQ build interface? Will they auto collect the supplies I need or do I have to gather those myself?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AI traders will bring the supplies, just give a construction budget to the phq

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Popete posted:

So for the phq need a dock first, can I just fly around until I find a constructor and then hire them through the PHQ build interface? Will they auto collect the supplies I need or do I have to gather those myself?
Yeah you have to find a constructor. Much easier if you have a sat network up and running.

You have a budget slider you can fill in the build screen. Traders will then acquire the trades and slowly fly the length of the drat universe and deliver it to the build site. You can also fill it yourself if you like but I've never bothered.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Popete posted:

A good place to look for constructors are near space highways and gateways.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What do I actually need to build to get a station up and running? Does anyone have an existing layout I can look at to try and get a sense of it?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mp5 posted:

What do I actually need to build to get a station up and running? Does anyone have an existing layout I can look at to try and get a sense of it?

There’s no real hard requirement - basically you can build a “station” that’s just a chunk of inert metal if you want. If you want something actually useful, you’ll need a dock, some form of production module, and some form of storage. Beyond that it’s completely freeform. For the dock, there’s two variations (dock and pier), which will allow S and M size ships and L and XL size ships to dock, respectively. You don’t technically need both but only having one will limit who can trade with you. Piers are kind of tricky to place because they need a bunch of free space around them, and their approaches also have to be completely clear. You’ll probably need to build a big vertical column to create a spot with enough open space around it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 6, 2018

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The pier you start with is also the hardest one to place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

There’s no real hard requirement - basically you can build a “station” that’s just a chunk of inert metal if you want. If you want something actually useful, you’ll need a dock, some form of production module, and some form of storage. Beyond that it’s completely freeform. For the dock, there’s two variations (dock and pier), which will allow S and M size ships and L and XL size ships to dock, respectively. You don’t technically need both but only having one will limit who can trade with you. Piers are kind of tricky to place because they need a bunch of free space around them, and their approaches also have to be completely clear. You’ll probably need to build a big vertical column to create a spot with enough open space around it.

This helps a bit, thanks.

It seems like I need a shitload of credits to get even the most basic station going and that it'll take a long time to produce anything. :(