Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

How viable is the mid-point between the status quo and toppling Kyiv, taking Mariupol and all the intervening territory up to the land connection to Crimea, creating a contiguous land territory out of their official and unofficial gains?

they would probably take only the areas with significant proportions of russian speakers, see this map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_language_in_Ukraine#/media/File:Ukraine_census_2001_Russian.svg

if they were planning on doing this, they would probably do something about the warlords in donbass and luzhansk first, so i wouldn't worry about an all-out invasion while they are still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kyiv isnt the objective. Mariupol is. And will be the capital of novoryssia if russia is allowed to take it. Cutting off sea access for ukraine would create a kyiv rump state that relies on russia for shipping.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 6, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone have a good resource for reading up on the extreme right/neo nazis entering the Ukrainian government, military and police?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I hear their new prime minister really hates jews, you could start by reading about him

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mila kunis posted:

Anyone have a good resource for reading up on the extreme right/neo nazis entering the Ukrainian government, military and police?

It’s not trivial to find a resource that faithfully discusses the matter, as Russia has put some serious effort into making it seem to that Ukraine has literal Nazi legions running the show. What you are after in the end of the day are specific individuals, since no parties in current government are fitting the bill you are after. Even the so-called Radical Party, they are generic right wing populists with strongly left-wing economical policies and neutral view on LGBT issues since Lyashko is totally and absolutely not gay.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I hear their new prime minister really hates jews, you could start by reading about him

You mean Groysman who is Jewish? :thunk:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You mean Groysman who is Jewish? :thunk:

I think it was a lovely attempt at a joke to deflect away from the question about the influence of extreme right wing nationalism in Ukraine right now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s not trivial to find a resource that faithfully discusses the matter, as Russia has put some serious effort into making it seem to that Ukraine has literal Nazi legions running the show. What you are after in the end of the day are specific individuals, since no parties in current government are fitting the bill you are after. Even the so-called Radical Party, they are generic right wing populists with strongly left-wing economical policies and neutral view on LGBT issues since Lyashko is totally and absolutely not gay.

Well Svoboda is pretty much a far right party, but they have only 6 seats in Rada.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm just sayin, they seem awfully tolerant of jews given how often they're tarred as neo nazis by their large imperial neighbor: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/28/most-poles-accept-jews-as-fellow-citizens-and-neighbors-but-a-minority-do-not/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Well Svoboda is pretty much a far right party, but they have only 6 seats in Rada.

Yeah I managed to stumble into a parliament decomposition that left them out somehow. They are strictly a far right party.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The russians know they dont need to occupy more than the black sea to molodova stretch of land to make a country. Mariupol and crimea have enough economic capability to be worth while for russia.

Heres a map for what russia hopes

Now russia needs to achieve a couple objectives in the black sea / mainland ukraine. They cannot simply walk to molodova from donetsk It needs to be a revolution of sorts. Harassing the ukrainian navy and seizure of patrol boats in the black sea allows russia to supply their militants accross the sea, less patrols in the water.

Odesa and Kherson are 2 large russian objecrives. Kherson is probably priority 2. Securing the danube mouth. Odesa is priority 3. The whole objectjve is to be able to flow in russian artillery or heavy assets via the black sea but Russia already controls crimea splitting the sea in half, the long game is to keep ganking navy vessels, less navy less patrols to keep green men from deep penetrating into the country.

This is why we saw the martial law they arent going to admit that they may have actually had an encrochment by russia. I dont know personally, but they know theres a need for new assets. Funny how shortly after ukraine purchased 2 cutters from America did russia capture 3 vessels. This is a chess move by putin. You buy 4 or i take 5 etc. It may be coincidental but i doubt it. Its literally an invasion 1 step at a time.

Ukraines fleet is a real tiny one at best, they probably have so many holes in their nets that putin actually could walk military liasons into the country, bunch of guys in ukranian military drab just walk up the beach to cars waiting for them to drive into the country. Direct the revolution as russia has done in every other russian conflict. However a US naval vessel just steamed into the black sea. So poo poo could be going down but not fast.

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2018/09/ukraine-building-mosquito-navy-fend-russia-us-help/151606/

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/26/670746252/ukraine-considers-martial-law-after-russia-seizes-its-ships-near-crimea

Extremely serious threat of land-based operation against Ukraine." Poroshenko's rationale for imposing martial law

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ukraine-church/ukraines-security-service-raids-home-of-russian-backed-monastery-head-idUSKCN1NZ1I1?il=0

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 6, 2018

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Альтернатива Том Клэнси заметила

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rust Martialis posted:

Альтернатива Том Клэнси заметила

I hope so! Everything about this conflict just seems so dang stupid

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I hope so! Everything about this conflict just seems so dang stupid

If you want stupid, go a few threads back and find 70 page 2014 derail about impending apocalypse caused by U.S. retaliatory nuclear strike against Russia for violation of Ukrainian sovereignty. Mind you, 70 pages in like 8 hours.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you want stupid, go a few threads back and find 70 page 2014 derail about impending apocalypse caused by U.S. retaliatory nuclear strike against Russia for violation of Ukrainian sovereignty. Mind you, 70 pages in like 8 hours.

Ah yes, the derail that led to the no Tom Clancy chat in the Eastern Europe thread rule.

Russia's desire to create this map and their ability to make it happen are two very separate things. Their success with Donbass and Crimea was creating the dissent from within. The further west they go the harder it gets for them.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Dolash posted:

How viable is the mid-point between the status quo and toppling Kyiv, taking Mariupol and all the intervening territory up to the land connection to Crimea, creating a contiguous land territory out of their official and unofficial gains?

Ukraine is not a small land mass. Kyiv is around 700km/435mi from the current unrest. Russia would have to be seriously ambitious to try and storm the capital.

I worry about my friends in Odessa, tho :(

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Russia would have to be seriously ambitious to try and storm the capital.

They would. And VERY stupid.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/11/27/heres-the-us-military-footprint-in-the-black-sea-region/

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Venezuela is amazing.

quote:

According to the president of Venezuela, sales for the national cryptocurrency El Petro will be introduced gradually according to the developed schedule. According to Maduro, Moscow has already received an offer to use Petro in the calculations.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, who is on a visit to Russia, offered Moscow to make calculations in the oil sector in the national cryptocurrency Petro. This is the Venezuelan leader told reporters on the results of the second day of his visit to Russia, reports the Venezuelan VTV Canal 8.

Maduro said that from 2019, Caracas intends to transfer all calculations in the country's oil industry to cryptocurrency. “From 2019, all Venezuelan oil products will be sold to Petro gradually in accordance with the existing schedule,” said Maduro, specifying that the schedule will be announced soon.

Venezuela announced the use of cryptocurrency in international payments

Maduro stressed that Russia "sells oil and oil products in yuan," and in this regard, he suggested considering the possibility and potential of using El Petro cryptocurrency in the calculations. According to the Venezuelan leader, the proposal "has already been included in the plans for the study and economic work card for the next six years," a joint commission of the two countries, which will work in March 2019.

The use of Petro, according to the Venezuelan leader, "will continue our exemption from the currency used by the Washington elite to blackmail, attack the peoples of the world, economic damage, financial prosecution, as is the case with Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, Russia."

Plans for the transfer of settlements with Russia to Petro Maduro announced after a meeting with Vladimir Putin. After the meeting with the Russian leader, he also stated that the relations of the two countries confirm the multipolarity of the modern world. “Bilateral cooperation with this fraternal country is based on respect for the cultural, economic and political models of our peoples ... President Vladimir Putin supported me in the search for mechanisms to overcome difficulties in the framework of sovereignty and self-determination of peoples. We strongly reject intervention and interventionism, ” he commented on a visit to Russia on his Twitter.

The creation of a national cryptocurrency El Petro Maduro announced in December 2017. As conceived by the Venezuelan leader, the cryptocurrency will help the country "to advance in the issue of monetary sovereignty" and overcome the financial blockade. In January of this year, Maduro ordered the release of 100 million Petro. In February, started official sales of cryptocurrency. At the same time, Maduro demanded that PDVSA, Petroquimica de Venezuela (Pequiven), a petrochemical company, and CVG, which is engaged in the extraction of mineral resources, carry out part of the transactions using El Petro to support the national cryptocurrency .

In September, the head of Venezuela announced that from October 1, the national cryptocurrency El Petro will be put into circulation for making payments in international trade. Thus, Venezuela became the first country with a cryptocurrency provided by oil.

:v:

https://www.rbc.ru/technology_and_media/06/12/2018/5c0969249a794784bd83b285?from=newsfeed

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the power of blockchain

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
blyatchain

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-accuses-russia-blockading-kerch-strait-124423676.html?guccounter=1

quote:

MINSK, Belarus (AP) — Ukraine's defense ministry warned Russia on Friday that it will soon send navy ships through the Kerch Strait where Russia fired on and seized three Ukrainian vessels two weeks ago

hugely stupid if true

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is it stupid? I think it's crucial, they need to come to a modus vivendi re. the strait, and if Russia keeps stopping Ukraine's vessels, it makes Putin in violation of international law. Ukraine has nothing to lose by maintaining the neutrality of Kerch, and a whole lot to lose by accepting Russia's unilateral assessment that the strait is Russian (which violates Russian ratified treaties)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Keeping the strait only costs Russia nothing if Ukraine lets them.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Don't think the next three boats Ukraine loses mark the point where it starts costing Putin something. International reaction to the last incident has been nil, no?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1071393432277528582

aphid_licker posted:

Don't think the next three boats Ukraine loses mark the point where it starts costing Putin something. International reaction to the last incident has been nil, no?

The Russian bots were quickly dispatched to convince the planet this is all a stunt by Poroshenko to boost his poll numbers before the election.

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

If Ukraine were to actually fight back this time it would be a bit of a change at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Osama Dozen-Dongs posted:

If Ukraine were to actually fight back this time it would be a bit of a change at least.
But how well would that go? Russia's navy is a joke, for sure, but Ukraine's... I'm pretty sure the total strength was literally decimated when a handful of ships were captured during the annexation and now.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah I’m pretty sure Ukrainian Navy is something Latvian Coastal Guard could realistically present problems to.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

If he means to imply that the protests in Paris are organised by Moscow, in all honesty, he should gently caress the right off. It's literally the same type of rhetoric employed by Russia during Maidan, where they said it was orchestrated by America.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Tht sounds like most of the rethoric used these days.

That and "we are overwhelmed with all the blacksromsillegalsrefugees economic migrants arriving every day!!!!1!1!1!!!!!!!!!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah I’m pretty sure Ukrainian Navy is something Latvian Coastal Guard could realistically present problems to.

They have ground based anti-shipping missiles.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Warbadger posted:

That was a joke about state of their ships, nothing else. The entire Latvian Coastal Guard is like 7 unarmed patrol boats.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Warbadger posted:

Theyre not going to use those in any invasion because russia is not going to DDAY odesa. Has to an astroturf uprising, russia would only move in ships if they coild do so without risking a shot fired. Aka "UKRANIAN PARTISANs definitely not paid gru mercs" occupy ship missile sites then the supplies roll in with no peering eyes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Paladinus posted:

If he means to imply that the protests in Paris are organised by Moscow, in all honesty, he should gently caress the right off. It's literally the same type of rhetoric employed by Russia during Maidan, where they said it was orchestrated by America.
There's this class of european nationalist chuds that loves Putin and RT and poo poo. The UKIP / AfD / FN crowd.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, or AKK for short, Merkel's successor at the head of the CDU, says that the EU should block Russian ships from their ports in punishment for Russia's blockade of Mariupol.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/block-russian-ships-from-eu-and-us-ports-merkels-heir-37583439.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/hochu_dodomu/status/1071760012421292032

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1071809402322251778

https://twitter.com/InfoResist/status/1071738175222136832

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Little green yellow men
https://twitter.com/___Beardman____/status/1071451176904855552

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/statu...port-week-49%2F

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If mariupol is taken without heavy fighting welcome to hitler v2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LeoMarr posted:

If mariupol is taken without heavy fighting welcome to hitler v2.
Putin already got to that level somewhere around Crimea.