Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

extremely normal poo poo going on the bitcoin price tracker right around now

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Thread title is v good

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Lote posted:

Hey guys. Take a look at the Tether price. It’s down to $1USD = 0.965 tether. Volume is super low on the charts which is very bad and indicative that we may see some fireworks shortly. You may want to get your popcorn ready.

Just want to link to the start of the crash. Nailed it. :cool:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Booourns posted:

Everything posted on the internet is true and happened

On the other hand, nothing ever happens because everything is fake.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

There are now 145 entire countries that use less energy than bitcoin, many of them developed nations - including Portugal, which has a population of over ten million people.

One bitcoin transaction uses 560Kwh - as much electricity as nearly half a million debit/credit card transactions, and produces almost 275kg of carbon dioxide. That's the same amount as 28 average UK households use in a whole day. For one loving transaction.

Given that there are about 40 million card payments made per day in the UK, if the whole country switched to bitcoin (ignoring the fact that this is literally impossible because bitcoin can't actually process transactions fast enough to make it usable) it would produce over 11 megatonnes of carbon dioxide per day - more than ten times the entire country's emissions.

This is poo poo is a goddamn environmental disaster and there's no way it should be legal.

Quote-Unquote fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 6, 2018

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is poo poo is a goddamn environmental disaster and there's no way it should be legal.

It would be funny if in the end it's not all the illegal stuff which has been associated with Bitcoin which gets it shut down but its environmental impact.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Quote-Unquote posted:

There are now 145 entire countries that use less energy than bitcoin, many of them developed nations - including Portugal, which has a population of over ten million people.

One bitcoin transaction uses 560Kwh - as much electricity as nearly half a million debit/credit card transactions, and produces almost 275kg of carbon dioxide. That's the same amount as 28 average UK households use in a whole day. For one loving transaction.

Given that there are about 40 million card payments made per day in the UK, if the whole country switched to bitcoin (ignoring the fact that this is literally impossible because bitcoin can't actually process transactions fast enough to make it usable) it would produce over 11 megatonnes of carbon dioxide per day - more than ten times the entire country's emissions.

Don't you know bitcoin miners only use electricity from clean sources?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mahler posted:

extremely normal poo poo going on the bitcoin price tracker right around now

Yeah, back up to $3800 on a super-not-suspicious buyoff when it started diving.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

You know, Bitcoin may have badly poo poo itself this year, but it's still no Bitcoin Cash:

Down -97% since the start of the year.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, you mean 3700, right?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

The rare Bart-Inverse-Bart contraction

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
It's me I'm buying it to raise the price just so I can watch it fall again

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Liquid Communism posted:

Whoever's doing it clearly doesn't have the resources to push it higher and keep it there for any length of time.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm working and I can't avoid laughing ahahha

"I'm not the US mint or anything"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

The rare Bart-Inverse-Bart contraction

How can anyone look at this and not smell something fishy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Darth TNT posted:

How can anyone look at this and not smell something fishy.

Your sense smell is bound to go after several years of getting high on your own farts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Splode posted:

It's me I'm buying it to raise the price just so I can watch it fall again

you're doing god's work

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lolie posted:

It would be funny if in the end it's not all the illegal stuff which has been associated with Bitcoin which gets it shut down but its environmental impact.

The "get Capone for tax evasion" of the 21st century.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I miss bitconnect.

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

Dear bitcoiners

your stupid poo poo is not working, you can stop now.
we all know that environment is already turbo hosed but can you please unplug your energy wasters and maybe help a little ?

please

- angry hippie

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

imagine a dude yelling nonsense on the street corner while repeatedly punching himself in the dick and when confronted he smugly says "some time this will stop hurting and then you all are jealous"

thats a bitcoiner

Fagmaster
Aug 21, 2004

well i gave bitcoin a chance after all, but its not working :confused:

i just ran my microwave empty while keeping the fridge door open and yelled words like "hash rate", "satoshi", "moon lamborghini", "blockchain" and "community in the desert build around the blockchain"

so why im not a billionaire now? what gives?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Lolie posted:

people are literally working on this

meanwhile, the thing doing most work to drop bitcoin's emissions turns out to be - crashing the price! with 25% drop in hashpower just recently

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fagmaster posted:

well i gave bitcoin a chance after all, but its not working :confused:

i just ran my microwave empty while keeping the fridge door open and yelled words like "hash rate", "satoshi", "moon lamborghini", "blockchain" and "community in the desert build around the blockchain"

so why im not a billionaire now? what gives?

I chuckled more than I should have imagining someone standing in their kitchen screaming HASH RATE while their microwave melts down.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
bitcoin hash

i was sitting in my room, late one night
when my eyes beheld an eerie sight
for my computer on the floor began to buzz
i knew i was rich, how? it was because

it did the hash, it did the bitcoin hash
the bitcoin hash, it was an incel smash
it did the hash, it crashed down in a flash
it did the hash, it did the bitcoin hash

from my futon mattress, smelling of yeast
to the pizza boxes where i did feast
i live like a king in my humble abode
all thanks to the bitcoin code

[chorus]

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 6, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Someone needs to rework graey alien's riddick post to buttcoins.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

It hits the magic number then goes back up again

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
What's with all these inverse barts in the chart

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

orange juche posted:

Someone needs to rework graey alien's riddick post to buttcoins.

EVERY DAY I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM ANOTHER CARD THE RACK. ITS A GPU AND RIGHT THERE I START SEARCHING THE HASH ALONGSIDE MY FAVOURITE MINER, SATOSHI. I MINE EVERY BLOCK AND I MINE EVERY BLOCK HARD. MAKING WHOOSHING SOUNDS AS I DRY MY OWN STRAWBERRIES OR EVEN WHEN I SET MY CURTAINS ON FIRE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY STOOD UP TO THE GALAXY'S MOST DANGEROUS FUD. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET ARE FIAT BOOTLICKERS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE ALTCOINS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS COLD BY MINING EM ALL. 24 HOURS INCLUDING CASH OUT EVERY DAY. THEN I GRIFT

I tried.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Those stats don't work. Thats is dividing the electricity by the amount of transactions. It fails to mention that the power used is securing all the coins ever mined. The computing power used to mine are simply updating the ledger every 10 minutes. Yes, that involves coins that are created, and transacted, but it also is securing and maintaining the coins that havent moved.

It is the exact opposite of gold. In gold you have a mining cost to dig up the gold from the ground. Then you have transportation costs, security costs etc etc etc In bitcoin, that mining cost digs the coins up from the ground, it also verifies the transactions that are happening, and also works as a Fort Knox for every wallet ever created.

Its a security system and payment network. To go and take the entire cost of mining and divide it by the number of transactions you are leaving out quite a bit of its value.

Today, it costs approx $2.5 billion to maintain the bitcoin network annually based on current hash rate.

The value of all coins is $68 billion right now.

If nothing was transacted whatsoever you can say that it costs 3.6% per year to store your coins on the most robust security system the world has ever invented. Thats high in itself but thats leaving out the entire ability to transact these whatsoever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I miss bitconnect. BITCONNEEEEEEEEEECT!

Never forget.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

EMoney posted:

Those stats don't work. Thats is dividing the electricity by the amount of transactions. It fails to mention that the power used is securing all the coins ever mined. The computing power used to mine are simply updating the ledger every 10 minutes. Yes, that involves coins that are created, and transacted, but it also is securing and maintaining the coins that havent moved.

It is the exact opposite of gold. In gold you have a mining cost to dig up the gold from the ground. Then you have transportation costs, security costs etc etc etc In bitcoin, that mining cost digs the coins up from the ground, it also verifies the transactions that are happening, and also works as a Fort Knox for every wallet ever created.

Its a security system and payment network. To go and take the entire cost of mining and divide it by the number of transactions you are leaving out quite a bit of its value.

Today, it costs approx $2.5 billion to maintain the bitcoin network annually based on current hash rate.

If nothing was transacted whatsoever you can say that it costs 3.6% per year to store your coins on the most robust security system the world has ever invented. Thats high in itself but thats leaving out the entire ability to transact these whatsoever.

oh, sorry. I forgot. I guess it's okay to be an ecological disaster if it keeps track of who owns how many imaginary pogs in addition to being a nigh-unusable imaginary pog-transfer system

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EMoney posted:

This is so extremely dumb, I don't even know where to start. I guess I'll start with the fact that you fail at basic maths. And I'll also end with that. drat.

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
WHat's wrong with my maths?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah yes, the most robust security system the world has ever invented in which just recently a severe flaw was discovered that had been present for more than a year and that would have threatened the network's integrity had anyone exploited it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

EMoney posted:

WHat's wrong with my maths?

How many bitcoin you hodlin?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, the most robust security system the world has ever invented in which just recently a severe flaw was discovered that had been present for more than a year and that would have threatened the network's integrity had anyone exploited it.

Fort Knox must have been robbed blind a bunch of times I'm not aware of if we're comparing its security to Bitcoin. Like, is there a secret code I can steal, enter at the gate, then just walk in and carry out as much gold as possible?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Warbadger posted:

Fort Knox must have been robbed blind a bunch of times I'm not aware of if we're comparing its security to Bitcoin. Like, is there a secret code I can steal, enter at the gate, then just walk in and carry out as much gold as possible?

Approach the guards with N+1 friends. Insist it is yours. Leave with guards helping you carry gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

Fort Knox must have been robbed blind a bunch of times

Convince me that it has been robbed more times than bitcoin and using more electricity than over 100 countries in the same timespan that bitcoin has existed

Go on. I wanna see the gymnastics here