Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The liberals are dead set on testing the floor for the 2PP poll result aren't they.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/1070539049071300609

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tony Burke to Scott Morrison:

Can the Prime Minister confirm since the deposing Malcolm Turnbull he lost when Wentworth, lost the member for Chisholm, insured just 10 sitting days in eight months, can he also confirm that today he lost control of himself delivering one of the most hysterical press conferences in Australian political history. Why isn’t Malcolm Turnbull Prime Minister? None of it happened under him.

Morrison:

When it comes to losing control, the Labor Party lost control of our borders and they should be ashamed of it.

That’s it. That’s the whole answer.
Woeful patter.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Australian parliament does not deserve to exist. This is pathetic beyond words

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Liberal insiders say Julie Bishop will retire from parliament just before the next election, despite speculation she might consider a career as opposition leader should the government lose the election, and despite the fact she has been re-endorsed for her seat of Curtin.

One theory in Liberal ranks is the former foreign minister is waiting until the last minute to announce what she is doing to prevent a move by future leadership aspirant Attorney-­General Christian Porter, whose seat of Pearce is on a 3.6 per cent margin, into the much safer Curtin.

Yep, she has to have done a deal for an overseas posting. Bonus points for loving Porter up.

Good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ewe2 posted:

Yep, she has to have done a deal for an overseas posting. Bonus points for loving Porter up.

Good.

What is this about? I though Alice was a thread hero.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Good.

Why is this good?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Husar says Workman and Buzzfeed emailed her with questions after they had published the story about her, and says they didn't give her enough time to get permission to talk about confidential stuff. She's suing for defamation

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

What is this about? I though Alice was a thread hero.

She published the “Husar is a sexual predator” article without any sources.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

bell jar posted:

I'm part of a team implementing Afterpay/Zippay etc into a large retailer here. From what I understand, they get a margin of 5%-6% of each sale from the retailer, plus a monthly fee for the consumer if they have outstanding debt. No interest applied for a minimum term and then a HUGE amount of interest (somewhere like 20%) applied if you don't pay it all back in time.

If you're fiscally responsible, it could be an alright way to use easy credit. If you're not, you're hosed, and you're turbofucked.

Zippay and Afterpay are a bit different (IMO Afterpay is a bit less lovely but ymmv). I use Afterpay for big purchases that I'd rather spread throughout a few pays rather than all in one go, but I budget carefully and make sure I never end up buying too much.I can see how payment models like these would be predatory and bad for those with low financial literacy.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
is an mps Twitter account protected by parliamentary privilege?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah I generally enjoy Workman's... Work... but this one felt way too tabloid, and not at all definitive.

It felt like they were cashing in on the recent barnaby hype train by grasping at a pretty thin straw and yelling "HEY LOOK AT THIS ONE TOO"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

thatbastardken posted:

No

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

cool. second question, is a political party able to be defamed?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

Nothing outside the chamber is. This is why Leyonhjelm is a dumb rear end in a top hat for reiterating his comments about SHY and Kennett is a dead eyed motherfucker for the time he called someone a paedophile and later when asked about it smirked and said "you don't think I'm silly enough to repeat what was said under privilege?"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

I'm asking b because this seems like a risky tweet

https://twitter.com/cpyne/status/1070542163811852288?s=19

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1070550452775804928

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

thatbastardken posted:

Nah he can say he firmly believes this stupid poo poo will stop paedos and terrorists.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I missed something.

Why is there a data encryption/border protection/electricity price bill.

Or is it three separate things.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i guess being an idiot is a pretty good defense.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Granite Octopus posted:

Ah cool, so our answer is denying medical treatment to children is more important.

The tree of liberty must from time to time be watered with the blood of refugees

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Zenithe posted:

I missed something.

Why is there a data encryption/border protection/electricity price bill.

Or is it three separate things.

They're separate. The border protection one was first in line in the senate, and since they wasted time on that, the data encryption one won't be passed back to the house either

Though as soon as the house adjourned, Labor voted with the Government to suspend debate on the border protection one

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

Good luck proving Christopher Pyne doesn’t genuinely believe a bunch of dumb poo poo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gay picnic defence posted:

This wouldn’t even be remotely newsworthy if they weren’t trying to stoke a “stupid soy boys, hurr” reaction from the base.

It's PETA bullshit via Courier Mail, I don't think it's possible for something to be more trash.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BBJoey posted:

Good luck proving Christopher Pyne doesn’t genuinely believe a bunch of dumb poo poo
Pyne doesn't genuinely believe a lot of the poo poo he says.

Like when he laughed at the idea of being afraid of African gangs in Melbourne before being reminded of the party line.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://twitter.com/billshortenmp/status/1070553490873769985

Jesus.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ladies and gentlemen, Prime Minister Zingers.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

wrong audience mate

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He's doing a bit.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No government until Feb 19?

So business as usual then.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Maybe Bill's argument is by passing the dumb encryption legislation they can also pass the medical attention to Nauru?

Either way it's over now. If only they could extend their sitting hours...

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

woofbro posted:

Maybe Bill's argument is by passing the dumb encryption legislation they can also pass the medical attention to Nauru?

Either way it's over now. If only they could extend their sitting hours...

Some on twitter think Bill's trying to goad them into running away to make them look weak. Which sounds a little optimistic.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This Jordon Steele-John guy is a massive goon. He is delivering a speech on the encryption bill as if he is giving an address at a ren faire.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Does the encryption bill have any public support? Every mention of it I can find in the media is either unambiguously negative or at the very least mentions it being highly controversial. Why are labor so set on giving dutton everything he asks for? The my health record poo poo proves that people do actually care about privacy. Read the loving room Bill.

They need to get rid of the home affairs portfolio. It is ridiculous that we have this constant churn of new national security laws being introduced without any successful organized terror plot to justify why more is necessary. There isn't any popular demand for any of this stuff. It seems more like the lnp are proposing increasingly ridiculous or open to abuse laws to try and goad labor into rejecting one so that they can claim they are soft on terrorists.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Starshark posted:

Some on twitter think Bill's trying to goad them into running away to make them look weak. Which sounds a little optimistic.

That's pretty much exactly what he's doing.

The ALP have the govt absolutely cornered. This isn't some 6th dimensional chess poo poo, it's fish in a barrel. People's opinions of Shorten are rightfully pretty low, but calling the blindingly obvious play optimistic taking it a bit far I think

Edit: As for the Encryption poo poo:

It's a wedge. The Govt's entire strategy at the moment is to smash Labor on border and national security, so the ALP are playing it safe and running somewhat bipartisan on both. The Liberals will still attack the ALP for being weak on Natsec/Borders (as they have been all day), but the difference is whether or not the Media run with the narrative. If the ALP are clearly voting for these bills with a few key amendments to stop them from say preventing a business from running a VPN service or other hilariously inept drafting issues they're known for, then the mainstream media have a harder time actually pinning it on Labor, and are more likely to point out the ridiculousness of the Govt's behaviour today. It's more of the small target tactic, which is working ridiculously well for them.

Also there is likely a darker edge to it - you don't have to worry about the government spying on unions if it's an ALP government. Much like we didn't have to worry about the government stacking the FWC under a Labor govt. It's a dick move, but it's an ALP favourite.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 6, 2018

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tokamak posted:

This Jordon Steele-John guy is a massive goon.

someone buy him an account

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

thatbastardken posted:

What did it say, it has been pulled?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You Am I posted:

Wow what a loving coward

It basically said the ALP want to enable paedophiles and terrorists. I guess when they didn't extent sitting it made the premise silly.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

You Am I posted:

EDIT

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1070565202930761728

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

someone buy him an account

Just don't ask him if he has stairs in his house.