Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol at this loving govt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Moon Atari posted:

They need to get rid of the home affairs portfolio. It is ridiculous that we have this constant churn of new national security laws being introduced without any successful organized terror plot to justify why more is necessary. There isn't any popular demand for any of this stuff. It seems more like the lnp are proposing increasingly ridiculous or open to abuse laws to try and goad labor into rejecting one so that they can claim they are soft on terrorists.
:yes:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just don't ask him if he has stairs in his house.
:eyepop:

Nah they installed a ramp in the senate.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Why is everything so poo poo right now?

quote:

Former Adelaide archbishop Philip Wilson is set to walk free after his conviction for concealing child sexual abuse was quashed by a judge.

Newcastle Local Court convicted Father Wilson in May of concealing abuse committed by paedophile priest Jim Fletcher in the Hunter Valley dating back to the 1970s.

It found that in 1976 a victim, Peter Creigh, confided in Father Wilson that he had been sexually abused, yet Father Wilson failed to report it to police when Fletcher was charged with other child sex offences in 2004.

Before overturning Father Wilson's conviction, Judge Roy Ellis said the former archbishop was honest and consistent.

"There were very honest features of his evidence to provide a strong platform for him to be an honest witness," he said.

"[He] did not attempt to blacken the name of Peter Creigh and allege he was a liar.

"He was clearly an intelligent and articulate witness.

"There is no proper basis on which I can rely to reject the evidence of [Father Wilson]."

Judge Ellis said the crown failed to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt, upheld the appeal and then ordered that the clergyman be released.

At that point a Catholic clerical abuse survivor stood up in the courtroom gallery and shouted, "Bullshit, that is a disgrace".

In his judgment, Judge Ellis highlighted what he called inconsistencies in a Mr Creigh's evidence.

He also questioned Mr Creigh's memory in relation to the timing of his alleged conversation with Father Wilson, when he claimed he raised the alarm about Fletcher's abuse.

He also said there were inconsistencies in relation to the length of the conversation and frequency of the abuse.

"Was the duration of the abuse, six or nine months?" the judge asked.

This is such bullshit. Claiming the victim isn’t consistent about details of something that happened 40 years ago, and when you’re talking about whether something was 6 or 9 months. This is just more reason why victims don’t speak up, because they are treated like the ones on trial and predators get off free on the flimsiest of technicalities.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol at this loving govt

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Newspoll Sunday :getin:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This is such bullshit. Claiming the victim isn’t consistent about details of something that happened 40 years ago, and when you’re talking about whether something was 6 or 9 months. This is just more reason why victims don’t speak up, because they are treated like the ones on trial and predators get off free on the flimsiest of technicalities.

Our court system should have the third verdict that Scotland has, "not proven" (we're pretty sure you did it but can't prove it)

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Wouldn't you be more suspicious that someone remembers with no inconsistencies exactly what happened 40 years ago?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

Newspoll Sunday :getin:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
This is a really interesting article about how being in such a traumatic situation can affect memory and how when police start from a place of disbelieving the victim it biases and hinders the investigations. It’s a very good read.

https://www.propublica.org/article/false-rape-accusations-an-unbelievable-story

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I can’t remember what happened forty loving minutes ago

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

drunkill posted:

:eyepop:

Nah they installed a ramp in the senate.

should have installed a half-pipe

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fiery_valkyrie posted:

gently caress that judge. Clearly justice hasnt been served today and a pedo enabler walks free. Absolutly disgusting

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Michael O'Brien. Jesus Christ the Vic libs are doubling down on their not wanting to be electable strategy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

quote:

Centre Alliance senator Rex Patrick told Guardian Australia his party supports Labor’s amendments to the encryption bill.

Several crossbench parties suspect that Labor is now not going to move its own amendments so the encryption bill will pass this year.

Curiously, Bill Shorten and Mark Dreyfus have called a press conference … Let’s see if that’s what they’re going to announce.

Please don't do this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1070581736373805056

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
Jesus loving Christ they did it.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/BevanShields/status/1070585862751023105

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Shorten dropping the amendments to the encryption bill.

loving hell

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Both feet with both barrels.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol

who needs tech jobs anyway, we have manufacturing

uh...mining

...tourism?

real estate!

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol

who needs tech jobs anyway, we have manufacturing

uh...mining

...tourism?

real estate!

VICTORIAN INFRASTRUCTURE!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Spineless Bill appears yet again

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not spineless, just absolutely without any convictions of his own.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

tithin posted:

absolutely without any convictions of his own.

so... spineless???

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So are they gonna push the asylum seeker thing or do Labor just pass LNP stuff now?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

So are they gonna push the asylum seeker thing or do Labor just pass LNP stuff now?

No, they already lost that fight. Liberals adjourned the HoR rather than allow a potential vote for it. They did this for no reason whatsoever.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

someone post van badtakes on why this is actually cool and good and actually the greens fault

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

quote:

“We offer to let it go forward, without the amendments which are needed...provided the government agrees on the very first sitting day, to pass the amendments we say are needed.”

So Labor will pass the bill, unamended on the proviso the government allows the amendments to go through in February.

im sure theyll honour that

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
So is this encryption poo poo gonna break the internet? And is there a forum somewhere where encryption buffs are explaining in deep detail why this is a bad idea? No one seems to think it's a smart move.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
How do they always manage to disappoint even when you don't expect anything from them, it's incredible

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Vilgefartz posted:

So is this encryption poo poo gonna break the internet? And is there a forum somewhere where encryption buffs are explaining in deep detail why this is a bad idea? No one seems to think it's a smart move.

asio can tell someone to assist them to break encryption under the threat of up to 10 years imprisonment if they fail to comply (and were capable of doing so) with the order, and that person is under the threat of 5 years imprisonment if they disclose the order asio gave them

once you make encryption breakable, it's going to be broken by criminal elements, guaranteed. Even if someone wasn't worried about the police state this fundamentally undermines any secure transaction or communication people want to carry out. There's no way a tech company can risk having staff in australia who would have capability of assisting asio, because the staff may be required to do so and would be prohibited from telling the company they've done it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Knobb Manwich posted:

so... spineless???

Spineless is sort of a fair description, but not entirely accurate imo because spineless implies he has convictions but is unwilling to stand for them.

Shorten's a political weathervane / windcock. He believes what he thinks you want a political leader to believe and if the pressure from the oppo gets too much, he is willing to bend.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
imagine supporting labor in any capacity

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It's not going to even get the liberals off his back or the media on his side. Bill shorten is a pathetic coward and I don't know what anidav sees in him

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Labor should definitely continue to practice bipartisanship with the party the people hate.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

real cool trial run of what a shorten government is gonna look like. gently caress im so mad

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

asio can tell someone to assist them to break encryption under the threat of up to 10 years imprisonment if they fail to comply (and were capable of doing so) with the order, and that person is under the threat of 5 years imprisonment if they disclose the order asio gave them

once you make encryption breakable, it's going to be broken by criminal elements, guaranteed. Even if someone wasn't worried about the police state this fundamentally undermines any secure transaction or communication people want to carry out. There's no way a tech company can risk having staff in australia who would have capability of assisting asio, because the staff may be required to do so and would be prohibited from telling the company they've done it.

well poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
gently caress this poo poo