Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a German music mockumentary named Fraktus that I'm not particularly sure made it to other countries, but it can't keep its gimmick straight either. It starts out with a retrospective montage and interspersed interviews, then goes into a observation documentary style like Spinal Tap, and the last third or so is really just a movie about this band that happens to be filmed with one shaky camera. And it doesn't stick to the fiction of any one style while it's doing it either. It's presented as a finished and edited documentary but then you get scenes where they do multiple takes for an "authentic" reaction, and so on. Shame, cause the basic idea was pretty decent (music journalist tries to get a legendary band back together, band members turn out to be varying degrees of burnouts and sellouts who hate each other, journalist goes into a downward spiral as he sees his meal ticket disappear).

That reminds me of another music-based mockumentary, I can't remember the name of it but it was on Netflix a couple years ago and it was about this group of Germans (or possibly people from another country from that part of Europe) that break into places to perform music. My irrational problem was that the Netflix described the music as "experimental noise" and it was knockoff Blue Man Group stuff. I watched it hoping it'd be a movie about harsh noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Usually those musician biopics have a really good lead performance then everything else is varying degrees of disposable. Jamie Foxx deserved the Oscar for Ray and Philip Seymour Hoffman deserved the Oscar for Capote.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Twitch posted:

That reminds me of another music-based mockumentary, I can't remember the name of it but it was on Netflix a couple years ago and it was about this group of Germans (or possibly people from another country from that part of Europe) that break into places to perform music. My irrational problem was that the Netflix described the music as "experimental noise" and it was knockoff Blue Man Group stuff. I watched it hoping it'd be a movie about harsh noise.

Was it Sound of Noise? I liked that, but I also like Blue Man Group.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Best thing for biopics to do is not even attempt to portray an entire person's life, choose a particular moment in time and use the movie to examine that. Like Frost/Nixon, or Lincoln. Typically if a person had an interesting enough life to make a movie out of, you're gonna fail if you try to pack it all in to 2 hours.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wizzardstaff posted:

Was it Sound of Noise? I liked that, but I also like Blue Man Group.

That was it! I still liked it enough to watch the entire movie, just not really my genre.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wanna see a GG Allin biopic with the exact same tone, look and plot structure as a regular musician biopic.

Preferably starring Jared Leto.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wanna see a GG Allin biopic with the exact same tone, look and plot structure as a regular musician biopic.

Preferably starring Jared Leto.

Don't give him any ideas please

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One is a slimy creep known to prey on underage girls.

The other was GG Allin

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Leto's talent as an actor is overrated, I've come to realize. He's ok but for a while there he was being held up as like the next coming of Daniel Day-Lewis and obviously that's not happening.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked Blade Runner 2049 but I don't recall anything about his character. They could probably cut him out.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked Blade Runner 2049 but I don't recall anything about his character. They could probably cut him out.

I didn't understand a single bit of the motivation of his character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't the Biggie Smalls biopic have Tupac Shakur played by the same actor as his own biopic?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

He was cartoonish and completely out of place in BR2049

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

I didn't understand a single bit of the motivation of his character.

He wants to dominate the entire galaxy/universe with a race of slaves who will reproduce on their own, so that he doesn't have to manufacture each individual and transport them to where they need to go. He's trying to set himself up as God Emperor.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just found out that I thought Jared Leto was James Franco. I was going to say the only movie I have even a mildly positive opinion of him in was the lovely romantic comedy "why him?", but that was franco. I like James Franco in a lot of things so I don't know how they melded together in my brain :shrug:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't the Biggie Smalls biopic have Tupac Shakur played by the same actor as his own biopic?

No, the actor that played Biggie Smalls played Biggie in the Biggie movie and Tupac movie. Anthony Mackie played Tupac in the Biggie Smalls movie.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just found out that I thought Jared Leto was James Franco. I was going to say the only movie I have even a mildly positive opinion of him in was the lovely romantic comedy "why him?", but that was franco. I like James Franco in a lot of things so I don't know how they melded together in my brain :shrug:

That movie irritated me because I liked it more than I should have. The moose piss tsunami was hilarious.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

That movie irritated me because I liked it more than I should have. The moose piss tsunami was hilarious.

yeah as far as romantic comedies go it was pretty good and I've seen it a few times. So much of it made no sense, like the fact that he had that much moose piss in the first place and his house in general, but :shrug:

it's still not a good movie objectively, but it still does enough for me that i won't not watch it if i see it on

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Basebf555 posted:

Leto's talent as an actor is overrated, I've come to realize. He's ok but for a while there he was being held up as like the next coming of Daniel Day-Lewis and obviously that's not happening.

He comes off as trying way too hard most of the time. And he insists on doing these DeNiro/Bale physical transformations, but for films nobody loving remembers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mu Zeta posted:

I've heard that the character was written for David Bowie but he died before the casting people could get in touch.

If the character had actually been British it would've added a nice layer to the bad dudes relationship with Luv because she is really proud that she actually has a name but if he's British he's probably just using "love" as a generic address and she's misunderstanding.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He comes off as trying way too hard most of the time. And he insists on doing these DeNiro/Bale physical transformations, but for films nobody loving remembers.

That's my feeling as well, he was trying to be like the next torch bearer for The Method but then never actually delivered any great performances after his Oscar win(which was more like a very good performance, not truly great). Joker and Wallace are both shallow as far as how transparent it is when Leto is trying to insert little eccentricities to make people pay attention to his performance.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

The only good biopics are for fictional people. There Will Be Blood, for example.

Almost Famous and Velvet Goldmine are both better than just about ever biopic that's been done about actual real-life musicians.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

tallest crocodile posted:

Fantastic Beasts 2

The Queenie storyline just really annoyed me the whole way through. She's telepathic, or the wizard equivalent, and can't pick up any thoughts from a crypt full of wizards lusting for muggle-death? Maybe they're all thinking in French? But Grindlewald is speaking to the crowd in English except she doesn't hear his thoughts at any point for some reason.

Also what even is their reason for joining?
"I'm joining Grindlewald, he understands and wants to help change things so we can be together."
"That's insane, no I don't want to walk into the incineration pit."
"I'm joining anyway so we can... still be together eventually? Goodbye forever."

Like her sole motive was society accepting her being with Jacob but when she got a flat "no" why was there any reason to keep going with the plan?

I just hate when they give a character an ability which would solve a poo poo-ton of problems but it's never used or even explained why they don't use it. Enchantment explains it slightly but it's probably just Good Writing.

And the half-elf and WW2 parts are ideas that get worse if you think about them even a little.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

DrSnakeLaser posted:

The Queenie storyline just really annoyed me the whole way through. She's telepathic, or the wizard equivalent, and can't pick up any thoughts from a crypt full of wizards lusting for muggle-death? Maybe they're all thinking in French? But Grindlewald is speaking to the crowd in English except she doesn't hear his thoughts at any point for some reason.

Also what even is their reason for joining?
"I'm joining Grindlewald, he understands and wants to help change things so we can be together."
"That's insane, no I don't want to walk into the incineration pit."
"I'm joining anyway so we can... still be together eventually? Goodbye forever."

Like her sole motive was society accepting her being with Jacob but when she got a flat "no" why was there any reason to keep going with the plan?

I just hate when they give a character an ability which would solve a poo poo-ton of problems but it's never used or even explained why they don't use it. Enchantment explains it slightly but it's probably just Good Writing.

And the half-elf and WW2 parts are ideas that get worse if you think about them even a little.

Not trying to defend the plot because it's terrible, but I can honestly only explain this film if almost every single revelation or plottwist is an explicit lie made up by Grindelwald,Dumbledore or a result of mindcontrol. Queenie's behaviour? She's under a spell from that flying teapot. Dumbledore's secret brother? A flatout lie told to keep Creedence happy. That stupid blood oath? Some bullshit Dumbledore made up because he doesn't want to fight his former lover that blows up in his face at the end. And the snake lady has no connection to Voldermort except that she goes into history as a badass and he wanted to name his cool snake after her. Like calling your poodle Churchill or something, I don't know. But I'm 90% certain its just bad writing.

I think what annoyed me most about that film was that I kept feeling like I was missing critical information because I hadn't read the books. Then, halfway through, I realized that these aren't based on any existing books and got irrationally angry.

EDIT: I did feel like the WWII stuff is blown out of proportion, though. Grindelwald isn't about stopping the Holocaust, he's just making a point that humanity is dumb as poo poo and can't be trusted with its own fate. Which is a very confused way to make the same point that Netflix's Castlevania made in ten minutes. Still don't know what the vaping plastic skull was about, though. Or why there was an energy dragon inside it that was going to destroy Paris? Or why...no, gently caress it, remembering this movie brings it all back, goddamnit!

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Dec 6, 2018

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
Oh god, I’d forgotten about Grindelwald vaping out of the skull. My friend and I were in hysterics. Just the way his henchman lady slides into frame with it and then out again.

E:

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Not trying to defend the plot because it's terrible, but I can honestly only explain this film if almost every single revelation or plottwist is an explicit lie made up by Grindelwald,Dumbledore or a result of mindcontrol. Queenie's behaviour? She's under a spell from that flying teapot. Dumbledore's secret brother? A flatout lie told to keep Creedence happy. That stupid blood oath? Some bullshit Dumbledore made up because he doesn't want to fight his former lover that blows up in his face at the end. And the snake lady has no connection to Voldermort except that she goes into history as a badass and he wanted to name his cool snake after her. Like calling your poodle Churchill or something, I don't know. But I'm 90% certain its just bad writing.

I’m 100% certain it’s just bad writing, but the way you explain it is the only way I’d give it a pass. Unfortunately that’s giving the screenwriters more credit than they’re due. Feels like after the original books were done, they’re straining themselves to connect everything. A bit like the weakest parts of the new Star Wars movies - where the entire point boils down to “Look! It’s [character] that you loved from before!”

Which again, sucks, because there are some cool ideas in these movies.

tallest crocodile has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Dec 6, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Man the first two thirds of The House With a Clock in its Walls was pretty good. On track to become a classic Halloween movie.

This last third though. Oof. They added like a dozen plotlines that don't fit at all, and are weirdly dark in comparison to the humor of the first half.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How closely does it resemble the book? Those books got pretty drat dark

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
To be closer to the book it's the first 2/3 that should be different. There's comparatively zero foreshadowing, all the book's foreshadowing is played instead as "wow look how wacky!" so I wasn't expecting the demon bargain or 8-ball magic at all. Like, they were really bad at establishing the rules for the universe, or even how doomsday the titular clock would actually be. It has been awhile since I've even skimmed it though.

E: wow this finale is terrible. I'm watching it now.

E2: Just finished it: there are half a dozen unresolved plotlines, ten more introduced in the last 15 minutes, and a lovely moral. gently caress this movie, it started so well.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Dec 6, 2018

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
This is a weird irritation but Mortal Engines and Spiderverse both come out on the 14th and I'm interested in seeing them both but will probably end up seeing one in theaters. My irritation is that there's a perfectly good slot this weekend for one of them to be released but they're both being released on the same weekend. I know release dates are picked way earlier and there's probably been some research done on optimal times to release movies but it seems like it's common to put movies against each other even when they don't have to.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Spiderman cartoon has a lot of critical buzz. I think it's the superior one for the week.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Based on the billboards for each movie, at least you see a spider-man on the billboard. When I saw the trailer last weekend after only seeing the Mortal Engines billboard, I was like where are the vampires or the Jack the Ripper back drop? Not knowing the book, the billboard just has a tacky, derivative font and the eyes of a female protagonist and to me screams YA shifter stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought spiderman was gonna be a direct to video release.

There only thing I've seen about mortal engines was a video where Adam Savage built some cool pistol prop from the movie. Like a 4 barrel sawed off shotgun thing. Looked spiffy though.

Hell, I still need to go see overlord.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Queen Combat posted:

To be closer to the book it's the first 2/3 that should be different. There's comparatively zero foreshadowing, all the book's foreshadowing is played instead as "wow look how wacky!" so I wasn't expecting the demon bargain or 8-ball magic at all. Like, they were really bad at establishing the rules for the universe, or even how doomsday the titular clock would actually be. It has been awhile since I've even skimmed it though.

E: wow this finale is terrible. I'm watching it now.

E2: Just finished it: there are half a dozen unresolved plotlines, ten more introduced in the last 15 minutes, and a lovely moral. gently caress this movie, it started so well.

It's like they had to leave out the best bits from the book to fit in more Harry Potter magic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There only thing I've seen about mortal engines was a video where Adam Savage built some cool pistol prop from the movie. Like a 4 barrel sawed off shotgun thing. Looked spiffy though.

Hmm.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Not that far off from reality, really

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Whip It was alright but it would have been better without Jimmy Fallon.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Gaunab posted:

Whip It was alright but it would have been better without Jimmy Fallon.

I can't think of anything that wouldn't be better without Jimmy Fallon

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Armacham posted:

I can't think of anything that wouldn't be better without Jimmy Fallon

the fiery pits of hell

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

There's a scene in Kong Skull Island where they're wandering through a bamboo forest and they get attacked by like a 40-foot tall spider with legs apparently as thin as bamboo stalks. Anyway, a guy gets impaled and the spider is stomping around trying to impale the rest despite the fact that the spider is directly above them and shouldn't even be able to see the humans down below. The eyes are on top!!!

Also the first time they come across Kong they're all in helicopters and for some reason decide to just open fire on him despite Kong showing zero signs of aggression.

I did like the guy trying to do a noble sacrifice getting splattered into the side of a canyon though.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah but don't they taste with their feet? It's like having some juicy chicken nuggs just tumble into your mouth of course you're gonna lean around for more.