Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, I guess that's helpful. For the record I understand it but was kind of looking for something that's easier to share.

https://twitter.com/tomsulston/status/1070118335294009344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Yeah those are both great. Thanks to you both for saving me from doing any research of my own.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Weeks ago I had a post ready to shoot off about how there is no point even putting labor in power unless they are willing to be bold and vicious in pushing some major reform through. Specifically that if they aren't willing to take the risk of ramming media reform through in order to shake up the propaganda machine than anything else they try to accomplish is pointless since they will lose in one or two terms and have their achievements erased immediately, without justification, consequence or scrutiny.

If this is a preview than things are even bleaker, since they are willing to capitulate even without any necessity or advantage to doing so. The Obama style negotiation tactic of letting them know you are willing to compromise on everything before you even show up to the table only makes things worse in the long time.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
You might also be worth pointing people towards "The Athens Affair", where the nsa exploited similar weaknesses introduced to the Greek phone network for wiretapping to spy on their government and military.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah those are both great. Thanks to you both for saving me from doing any research of my own.

No sweat. I'm studying to be a journalist so I'm all about not doing research.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i loving told you guys that federal labor and the lnp are two sides of the poo poo coin. loving centre right bullshit neo liberal fuckwits completely getting hosed up the arse by the government in the senate all day today and then immediately asking if they'd like their poo poo smeared dick sucked off afterwards

i'd rather have a loving government of sexual predator greens if at least they stick by some standard of ideology

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/1070641825797423105

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
My understanding of tech ain't that great, but couldn't this legislation make it easy/easier for a con artist to dress themselves up as say ASIO and convince someone at a tech company (we have any left?) to hand over their vulnerabilities under threat of jail time then sell that info to another country/company?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about newspoll.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Thinking about newspoll.

Movement with the margin of error that people put way too much stock into.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Would laugh if it narrows due to ALP being spineless.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Specifically naming whatsapp, the instant messenger used by maloclm tunbrull when he coup'd abbott, as a terrorist threat in their scare campaign lol

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If someone quit their job as soon as they were ordered to undertake ~-*top secret encryption busting activities*-~ would they still go to jail?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Starshark posted:

No sweat. I'm studying to be a journalist so I'm all about not doing research.

you missed your calling in political science

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

So not having read the legislation but looking at this article:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/labor-backdown-federal-government-to-pass-greater-surveillance/10591944

quote:

But companies will not have to introduce such features if they are considered "systemic weaknesses" — that is, they are likely to result in weakened security for others.

Earlier drafts of the bill failed to define the term at all, but even the definition introduced at the last minute is contested.

...isn't this a caveat for tech companies or workers? Can't they just say "sorry can't do that without checking it through the entire company for a decade."

Worker is threatened with 5 years jail for non compliance but can still say "this will introduce a systemic weakness. If you don't like that answer officer, then we can take to manager / whatever tech oversight committee is required" and then... that's that. Am I way off here?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
They (the companies/workers/victims) don't get to decide if it's a systemic weakness or not. They can object that it is, which might prevent it, but the government can gets to decide if it is or isn't, or you know, they might just say "no it's not, now gently caress off and do it".

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

How do you know who gets to decide? Unless the legislation specifies the government as the authority on what satisfies that definition in all cases - I doubt that.

On the face of it and being maximum charitable it seems to point to the way out for the worker choosing between sabotaging their product or jail. Of course they'd likely threaten such a worker with abetting terrorism or obstructing justice unless they can prove the systemic weakness.

The whole thing is such stupid and evil police state poo poo you can't say whether the legislative incompetence that led to it is a feature or a bug.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

clusterfuck posted:

being maximum charitable

why are these specific brainworms so common, why do you feel this urge

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
wasn't that systemic weaknesses thing part of the labor amendments that labor pushed to the side to get it through today?

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Karneios posted:

wasn't that systemic weaknesses thing part of the labor amendments that labor pushed to the side to get it through today?

This article I posted was from 8pm and says they're in but poorly defined.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-06/labor-backdown-federal-government-to-pass-greater-surveillance/10591944

Jonah Galtberg posted:

why are these specific brainworms so common, why do you feel this urge

Because the faith of JBP broke and now I am the ghost of his political past.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 6, 2018

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Letting all the hackers of the world know that there are guaranteed security flaws in all Australian located encrypted apps surely won't focus their attention on finding and exploiting them.

Tarantula posted:

My understanding of tech ain't that great, but couldn't this legislation make it easy/easier for a con artist to dress themselves up as say ASIO and convince someone at a tech company (we have any left?) to hand over their vulnerabilities under threat of jail time then sell that info to another country/company?

You don't even need to add a third party conman to that scenario. Since individual employees are supposedly meant to put the backdoor in without notifying their employer an enormous amount of trust is being given to individual programmers. They could sell knowledge of the backdoor, be compromised by foreign intelligence, or simply choose to undermine their company's security to prove a point. Or ASIO itself will get hacked or a Snowden style leaker will release all their info on the vulnerabilities. Like how CIA/NSA developed hacking tools are now used by black hat hackers worldwide.

clusterfuck posted:

How do you know who gets to decide?

We dont get to know poo poo and neither do the mp's voting on the decision. All of these new security laws have been justified with a statement from Dutton saying that they are necessary and if we dont pass them immediately right now this second the terrorists will win, but he obviously can't provide any proof of that as it concerns ongoing security matters. It is insane. The other repeated pattern is labor acknowledging that the law has been poorly written such that it could allow huge abuses of power, but passing them anyway after the lnp assures them that they obviously won't use them in that bad way.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
100% that the ROC will be hacking into union organiser's poo poo by monday.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

clusterfuck posted:

How do you know who gets to decide? Unless the legislation specifies the government as the authority on what satisfies that definition in all cases - I doubt that.

On the face of it and being maximum charitable it seems to point to the way out for the worker choosing between sabotaging their product or jail. Of course they'd likely threaten such a worker with abetting terrorism or obstructing justice unless they can prove the systemic weakness.

The whole thing is such stupid and evil police state poo poo you can't say whether the legislative incompetence that led to it is a feature or a bug.

The (first reading) legislation says it is decided by "Assessors" appointed by the Attorney-General.

quote:

317WA Assessment and report

Designated communications provider may request carrying out of assessment

(1) If a consultation notice is given to a designated communications provider under subsection 317W(1) in relation to a proposed technical capability notice, the provider may, within the time limit specified in the consultation notice, give the Attorney-General a written notice requesting the carrying out of an assessment of whether the proposed technical capability notice should be given.

Attorney-General must appoint assessors

(2) If a designated communications provider gives the Attorney-General a notice under subsection (1) in relation to a proposed technical capability notice, the Attorney-General must appoint 2 persons to carry out an assessment of whether the proposed technical capability notice should be given.

(3) For the purposes of this section, the persons appointed under subsection (2) are to be known as the assessors .

(4) One of the assessors must be a person who:

(a) has knowledge that would enable the person to assess whether proposed technical capability notices would contravene section 317ZG; and

(b) is cleared for security purposes to:

(i) the highest level required by staff members of ASIO; or

(ii) such lower level as the Attorney-General approves.

(5) One of the assessors must be a person who:

(a) has served as a judge in one or more prescribed courts for a period of 5 years; and

(b) no longer holds a commission as a judge of a prescribed court.

317ZG is the section about systemic weaknesses by the way.

and here's 317ZG

quote:

317ZG Designated communications provider must not be required to implement or build a systemic weakness or systemic vulnerability etc.

(1) A technical assistance notice or technical capability notice must not have the effect of:

(a) requiring a designated communications provider to implement or build a systemic weakness, or a systemic vulnerability, into a form of electronic protection; or

(b) preventing a designated communications provider from rectifying a systemic weakness, or a systemic vulnerability, in a form of electronic protection.

(2) The reference in paragraph (1)(a) to implement or build a systemic weakness, or a systemic vulnerability, into a form of electronic protection includes a reference to implement or build a new decryption capability in relation to a form of electronic protection.

(3) The reference in paragraph (1)(a) to implement or build a systemic weakness, or a systemic vulnerability, into a form of electronic protection includes a reference to one or more actions that would render systemic methods of authentication or encryption less effective.

(4) Subsections (2) and (3) are enacted for the avoidance of doubt.

(5) A technical assistance notice or technical capability notice has no effect to the extent (if any) to which it would have an effect covered by paragraph (1)(a) or (b).

Not sure how this might vary from the version that was passed,or if it does at all, though.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 6, 2018

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Hahaha where's all that smug "change from within is working" poo poo from a month ago?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

:chanpop:

Shanakin posted:

The (first reading) legislation says it is decided by "Assessors" appointed by the Attorney-General.

317ZG is the section about systemic weaknesses by the way.

and here's 317ZG

Not sure how this might vary from the version that was passed,or if it does at all, though.

gently caress yeah. Thanks for digging that out.

317ZG still isn't really defining systemic, is it? And besides as moon atari said if every hacker knows Australian encryption is full of federally approved exploits then the security environment has violently changed. So you have to change the whole system to compensate.

Anyway I need to shutup and actual lawyers and techies look at this poo poo.

clusterfuck fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 6, 2018

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

:chanpop:
Amazing

clusterfuck posted:

317ZG still isn't really defining systemic, is it? And besides as moon atari said if every hacker knows Australian encryption is full of federally approved exploits then the security environment has violently changed. So you have to change the whole system to compensate.

Anyway I need to shutup and actual lawyers and techies look at this poo poo.

Maybe it defines it elsewhere but legislation is a tangled self-referential mess which makes it a pain to read and find stuff. Not to mention I believe the government version that passed was meant to have 171 amendments over the first reading version which I took that from.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

You're right though that the govt is claiming the authority to decide by way of the "assessors" what is or isn't a systemic weakness.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Shanakin posted:

Cutting through the bullshit all that means is that it is at the complete discretion of the attorney-general since all they need to do is find one person with IT knowledge and one exjudge to rubber stamp it, and they can easily shop around for those. Once again, concentrating all power with the executive and no real option for any oversight.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Which was my original point. I mean theoretically they could appoint independent, impartial and well informed assessors, and it may well be a reasonable system. On the other hand somehow, especially with the current government, I find that unlikely.

JJ
May 15, 2002

I hate it here.
Labor does end up looking piss-weak on this, but at the end of the day it is a bit of realpolitik. They have a substantial polling advantage and they don’t want to risk a fight on an issue that most people won’t understand (and in one of the few areas the Coalition is more “trusted” with).

I think this article is a bit telling - https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/breakdown-on-national-security-a-damning-indictment-of-both-sides-20181206-p50klx.html

quote:

In the end, Labor has backed legislation it says is flawed while reassuring Australians that it can be revisited, even though it will be law, inked in the statute books.

Mr Shorten was not going to enter the summer break vulnerable to the charge of weakness on national security. The unspoken reality is that Labor are relying on being able to change the law if they win government early next year.

That should keep happy the substantial number of younger Labor MPs - Ed Husic, Tim Watts, Stephen Jones, Terri Butler and Pat Conroy - who are concerned by what they see as insufficient protections and oversight. They are keen to see this become an election issue, with Labor vowing greater safeguards under a Shorten government.

Basically - worst case scenario - there’s a terrorist attack over the Christmas break and Labor gets blamed for it because they didn’t pass the encryption law. Yes, we all know it’s bullshit, but that’s the reality as it stands.

Labor could fight on this issue, but the senior leadership probably doesn’t have the sophistication to articulate the issue well enough.

Post-election, they would likely be in a good position to revisit and tidy up the legislation. Yes it’s a poo poo way to go about it, but the alternative is giving ScoMo a national security platform to bleat about over the Christmas break. If that coincided with an actual terrorist attack, it could be the circuit breaker he needs to (at the very least) save the furniture.

JJ fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Krazyface posted:

disappointment is shorten

Can someone make this please. To follow up from our Tony Death is Certain.

Put notes on the skull also pls.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 6, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Some of you are going to be prodded at gunpoint into expanded Nauru facilities going “Libs are playing checkers, Shorten is playing chess :smuggo:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Oh sweetie, no.

Leave the techie stuff to the techies.

This will probably have a major impact on companies like Netflix, valve, and google who run local mirrors here though.

As in they will all have to run risk assessments around whether they can afford to operate here or not.

Also Microsoft, and Amazon, who have a bunch of cloud poo poo here.

We may end up wearing the cost of this.

Well he's actually not wrong, in addition to the local stuff. You see, there's a little club called the Five Eyes and they definitely want to use this and it's definitely a reason the bill was proposed. We are the little fish in a pond of sharks, remember? Why wouldn't it be in US/UK interests alone to spy on all telecommunications here on the doorstep of Asia. Not that it's going to help because everyone with half a brain cell just decided to move operations out of Australia.

Maybe you want to stick with the techie stuff and leave the politics to the grownups, "sweetie".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JJ posted:

Labor does end up looking piss-weak on this, but at the end of the day it is a bit of realpolitik. They have a substantial polling advantage and they don’t want to risk a fight on an issue that most people won’t understand (and in one of the few areas the Coalition is more “trusted” with).

I think this article is a bit telling - https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/breakdown-on-national-security-a-damning-indictment-of-both-sides-20181206-p50klx.html

Basically - worst case scenario - there’s a terrorist attack over the Christmas break and Labor gets blamed for it because they didn’t pass the encryption law. Yes, we all know it’s bullshit, but that’s the reality as it stands.

Labor could fight on this issue, but the senior leadership probably doesn’t have the sophistication to articulate the issue well enough.

Post-election, they would likely be in a good position to revisit and tidy up the legislation. Yes it’s a poo poo way to go about it, but the alternative is giving ScoMo a national security platform to bleat about over the Christmas break. If that coincided with an actual terrorist attack, it could be the circuit breaker he needs to (at the very least) save the furniture.

There is literally no legislation Labor could agree to pass that would result in them not being blamed by the Liberals and a large part of the media for a terrorist attack.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

snoremac posted:

Some of you are going to be prodded at gunpoint into expanded Nauru facilities going “Libs are playing checkers, Shorten is playing chess :smuggo:

“What ever happened to civil discourse?” I sigh, as I’m rounded up for posting into a camp by the government approved militia Reclaim Australia headed by Chief Racist Blair Cottrell.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Thanks Bill

Thill

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

There is literally no legislation Labor could agree to pass that would result in them not being blamed by the Liberals and a large part of the media for a terrorist attack.

Like it couldn't be that hard to put forward as your sound bite that:

"this legislation is so badly written it will lead to (insert tech company) pulling up stumps in Australia"

Hell I even got a sports analogy in there.

But no, the path of least resistance real poltik comes before the good of Australian Society once loving more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dude McAwesome posted:

“What ever happened to civil discourse?” I sigh, as I’m rounded up for posting into a camp by the One Government approved militia GetUp Australia headed by Chief Globalist Simon Sheik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

This. The lesson of the Murdoch dominated west is to never make a decision based on what attacks your opponents might make, since they will attack you over it anyway, and to the maximum degree, no matter what you do. So you might as well ignore it and show some spine sticking up for what you want to do , since you might build momentum and influence the narrative with your boldness instead.