Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Voyager also has an episode where a group of Klingons cleave apart a group of Nazis so I can never fully dislike it as a series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Kibayasu posted:

The best part of the blood tests is that Sisko's dad figured out a way to beat them in like 5 seconds that the entirety of Starfleet apparently hadn't thought of.

Didn't he just refuse to do them?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
He also points out that if all the shapeshifters need is blood to show that they're human, why wouldn't they just kill the first human they could and carry around their blood inside them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Odo: security chief/handy liquid container

Bobby Deluxe posted:

the worst bit of the thing game was the blood tests to see if your npcs had been infected

there was one hallway where you could have tested this dude every five minutes for the entire level, but when he crosses through this one doorway he instantly changes

amyway this is relevant because the changeling blood tests remind me of that dude

I can't find it anymore but there's a great gif of the Alien basically shuffling around a room that works really well if you set it to "Puttin on the Ritz"

this one's pretty funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvZ8CYXucYI

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Danaru posted:

Voyager also has an episode where a group of Klingons cleave apart a group of Nazis so I can never fully dislike it as a series

Wherein a generic holodeck Nazi officer successfully converts the entire Hirogen race to Nazi ideology with a rousing speech.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Voyager is at its best when its at its worst. Just don't think about anything too hard or expect too much from the writers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Zodiac5000 posted:

He also points out that if all the shapeshifters need is blood to show that they're human, why wouldn't they just kill the first human they could and carry around their blood inside them.
just made sure you replace the guy doing the tests

as odo demonstrated, he can create containers and appear to fill those containers with liquid, so the dude doing the test can appear to take blood, hold up the phial, and as long as it never breaks contact with his hand, he can choose whether the result looks like blood or shifter goo

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

just made sure you replace the guy doing the tests

as odo demonstrated, he can create containers and appear to fill those containers with liquid, so the dude doing the test can appear to take blood, hold up the phial, and as long as it never breaks contact with his hand, he can choose whether the result looks like blood or shifter goo

They literally did this in the ep where the changeling on the Defiant hacked it to go start a war with another empire. He tested himself first to eliminate himself as a suspect and then it was off to the paranoia races.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
My favorite changeling scene is when one of them shows up as O'brien to talk to Sisko on Earth. He's a completely smug piece of poo poo and it's hilarious.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the changeling imitates it very well, yes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Trast posted:

My favorite changeling scene is when one of them shows up as O'brien to talk to Sisko on Earth. He's a completely smug piece of poo poo and it's hilarious.

That episode also owned because it was the first time I genuinely felt like the Federation might be hosed. :shepface: They don't use it too much but christ hostile shape shifters are a scary idea

naem
May 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like how they establish Odo isn't actually a very good shapeshifter, and it's a genuinely difficult skill that the Founders have had millennia to practice.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i Really dont understand how making ears look normal is harder than, say, a dogs fur or bird feathers

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Uncanny valley.

If you're 9/10ths of the way there, you7'd creep people out. Or if you get the visual down, but are loving up with mannerisms

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods changed my name posted:

i Really dont understand how making ears look normal is harder than, say, a dogs fur or bird feathers

odo literally says his "bird" wouldn't fool a real bird

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Pick posted:

odo literally says his "bird" wouldn't fool a real bird

:hmmyes: you're right, I had forgotten that

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods changed my name posted:

:hmmyes: you're right, I had forgotten that

you lost a single instance of star trek trivia to a girl. you know what happens now.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
:shrug:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I..I think you have to go get some Taco Bell.

Or some McNuggets.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Odo sorts out his face in about 100 years, but now that I think about it, does he even once shape-shift into a humanoid other than ''himself'? He's mostly just bar supplies around Quark's

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 6, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sinding Johansson posted:

Odo sorts out his face in about 100 years, but now that I think about it, does he even once shape-shift into a humanoid other than ''himself'? He's mostly just bar supplies around Quark's

dude just loves being a table leg

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's a subtext to some his dialogue with that travelling shapeshifter he comes across, where the traveller makes fun of odo's attachment to his form and is basically like "you will get bored of this shape and the pretence that it allows you to fit in" which i always took to mean that on top of the whole founder's thing being that nobody loving trusts you because you can be anyone you want, odo intentionally doesn't change into other people (or much else for the matter comparatively) because he's still very much trying to figure out how to be an odo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghostlight posted:

there's a subtext to some his dialogue with that travelling shapeshifter he comes across, where the traveller makes fun of odo's attachment to his form and is basically like "you will get bored of this shape and the pretence that it allows you to fit in" which i always took to mean that on top of the whole founder's thing being that nobody loving trusts you because you can be anyone you want, odo intentionally doesn't change into other people (or much else for the matter comparatively) because he's still very much trying to figure out how to be an odo.

The only thing Odo has figured out in life is knowing when to grunt

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

:same:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think Odo's problem with making faces is psychological, not a lack of skill

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FuturePastNow posted:

I think Odo's problem with making faces is psychological, not a lack of skill

No, it's brought up on multiple occasions that it's a lack of skill.

numberoneposter posted:

Voyager is at its best when its at its worst. Just don't think about anything too hard or expect too much from the writers.

It's really not. Its actual worst is legitimately reprehensibly bad and never should've gotten out of the writer's room. The rest of it is either just bad writing cliches, or just plain tepid writing that'll leave you bored for 45.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

what about the episode of voyager where tuvok wrote a holoprogram about the marquis taking over the ship

the first half of that episode was pretty ok

Mx. fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 6, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured Odo keeps his face the same even after his skills have improved mostly out of convenience, since it's how people recognise him, and because it seems Changelings are quite comfortable in a 'default' form. Laas has a lot more exotic forms and abilities from his two centuries or so of adventures while the Founders seem to have specifically practised imitation and deep-cover spying.

I wouldn't be surprised if, while most Changelings tend to get stuck in a rut and/or join the space tyrant ocean, the high-end ones can join the ranks of Star Trek's interstellar godlike entities.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it's brought up on multiple occasions that it's a lack of skill.

This is the kind of thing that the TNG writers should've thought of re: Troi. They made her "empathic" instead of fully telepathic but that means poo poo-all for the "solve the plot in five minutes" problem, whereas Odo's limitations are both character-driven and help curb his ability to break scripts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Of course Odo's shapeshifting abilities being limited also helps the special effects budget, but that they actually wrote it into his character is a sign that they thought it out for once, and it sells the Dominion as more of a threat when the Federation doesn't have anything comparable to the Founders' spycraft. And still like that Odo's personality, and the Changelings in general, is about the opposite of what you'd expect from a shapeshifter.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Section 31 did nothing wrong.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

when odo is near his 16 hour limit he says a few times that he is having difficulty maintaining his form

like maybe its something he has to dedicate concentration to, so if he is doing that he is not able to concentrate properly on anything else. maybe he could imitate a face perfectly but all he would be able to do is stand there, not concentrate on what he is saying or doing or what is going on around him. so instead he just does the bare minimum he needs so that he can concentrate on other stuff like quark

i guess it is like if you could juggle - you could probably do it for a while as a trick but if someone asked you to do it while doing your normal job you would probably just grunt at them too

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Try clenching your butthole for sixteen hours, that's probably what trying to maintain his form feels like to Odo.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

Try clenching your butthole for sixteen hours, that's probably what trying to maintain his form feels like to Odo.

Pfft that's just a Tuesday

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

PenisMonkey posted:

Section 31 did nothing wrong.

So what's it like writing for Star trek these days

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Sinding Johansson posted:

He disguised himself as the female changeling once. IIRC she only chose that blobby face in the first place to make Odo more comfortable when they first met.
If only you'd been less nice to Odo, your base wouldn't have been infiltrated by the galaxy's worst shapeshifter.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

tactlessbastard posted:

Pfft that's just a Tuesday

Either way the results will have a similar consistency.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe I'm forgetting something else, but didn't Odo have a normal face when Kurzon's ghost was in him? Totally psychological/intentional if thats the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No, he still has a mushyOdo face but different hair