Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

:emptyquote:

I want a Riolu so bad but every egg is a Trapinch, Dratini, Beldum or Mareep. Not what I want to see after the most recent event.

Have you been aiming for the egg rewards from Adventure Sync on Monday mornings? If you get a 10k there (by walking a lot the week before and making sure to have an empty egg slot on Monday morning) you’re guaranteed a gen4 hatch, which limits it to just Riolu or Shinx.

Note that you’re not guaranteed to get a egg just by walking and having an egg slot (117km and 2 slots got me none this week), but if you do get an egg it’s a 50/50 shot at a Riolu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

that ivy guy posted:

I'm looking for 3 new friends to get through that part of the Celebi research. Added myself to the spreadsheet; friend code 2705 7528 9811. I get a lot of gifts (college campus), send 'em out as often as possible, and open friends' stuff daily!

I'm stuck at the trade part of the Celebi quest, everyone on my friend list is interstate or overseas, which brings me to my point of why can't I trade long distance? Even more annoying, trading opened up a week after a pogo playing friend from Denmark was in town, I could've solved my Mr. Mime problem then too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

NTRabbit posted:

I'm stuck at the trade part of the Celebi quest, everyone on my friend list is interstate or overseas, which brings me to my point of why can't I trade long distance? Even more annoying, trading opened up a week after a pogo playing friend from Denmark was in town, I could've solved my Mr. Mime problem then too.

Where are you that there isn't anyone else who plays?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Beachcomber posted:

Where are you that there isn't anyone else who plays?

Southern suburbs of Adelaide, Australia. Only time I've ever seen a wandering raid group was on the Chikorita community day, I generally don't see anyone playing nearby, and my friends aren't remotely interested. Occasionally I see a young kid out playing, but 35 year old me is not going to approach a random kid in the street to talk pokemon.

Another quirk for you, I've played since the game went live in the wee hours of launch day in July 2016, I'm level 34, have caught 7245 pokemon, but I've only caught 43 dragon types in total. I have gold in every other type category.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 6, 2018

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
There's no Facebook or discord group near you?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

Southern suburbs of Adelaide, Australia. Only time I've ever seen a wandering raid group was on the Chikorita community day, I generally don't see anyone playing nearby, and my friends aren't remotely interested. Occasionally I see a young kid out playing, but 35 year old me is not going to approach a random kid in the street to talk pokemon.

Another quirk for you, I've played since the game went live in the wee hours of launch day in July 2016, I'm level 34, have caught 7245 pokemon, but I've only caught 43 dragon types in total. I have gold in every other type category.

The Facebook group PokemonGoAdelaide is likely your best bet.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm in the facebook group, just that the vast majority of the activity is north of the city

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Then to borrow a phrase, Go North, Young Goon.

I don't think I'll ever have reason to visit that coast of Australia. What's actually there?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Many world class wine regions and festivals. Plus the usual coast type stuff.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 6, 2018

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Create an alt and trade with it. Problem solved!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Create an alt and trade with it. Problem solved!

That's what I did and now my alt is 31 :spergin:

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

mistermaw, mvxvi, r1vls, Serafaina, Totheee.

I'm going to pop the ultra friends gift you sent me or I sent you tomorrow at 8AM.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is PizzaLad69 a goon? About to hit Ultra with them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’ve taken to dumping nanab berries. I don’t use them very often if at all I could use the extra space.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Neon Belly posted:

Is PizzaLad69 a goon? About to hit Ultra with them.

That's me, what's your in-game name?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

skooma512 posted:

I’ve taken to dumping nanab berries. I don’t use them very often if at all I could use the extra space.

Feed them to friendly gyms. Also razz berries. Also to a lesser degree pinap berries. Also golden pinaps when you have more than 150 of them.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skooma512 posted:

I do too sometimes, but ideally you can turn them into stardust by feeding them to pokemon in a gym. You can even just pass by a gym that's your team's color and feed random people's pokemon for stardust (and an extremely minor chance at getting 1 candy)

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Does anyone have a current list of what all turns into a ditto?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

robziel posted:

Does anyone have a current list of what all turns into a ditto?

According to the prof oak bot...

Pidgey
Rattata
Zubat
Mankey
Gastly
Sentret
Hoothoot
Yanma
Remoraid
Zigzagoon
Whismur
Gulpin

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Willsun posted:

Riolu/Lucario will most likely become a raid boss someday, given how hard Nintendo pimped Lucario out when it was new as a face of its current gen. I'm not too worried about finding one in an egg right now.

Lucario mega evolving seems to be a big deal to the franchise's presentation so I'm sure there will be more ways to get it eventually.

I never got the appeal of Lucario. I’m not saying it’s a bad Pokémon but it’s design is nothing exceptional to me. And conceptually I still don’t really get it’s design origin. It seems to be a Qi user modeled after Anubis, but why the metal spikes?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bah. Some rude people knocked my dude out of a gym at 11:50 last night. gently caress off, people!

It's even funnier because said gym is deep into a hiking trail at a State park, which closes at sunset. So, not only were they rude, they were trespassing while being rude.

Jerks. Hope it was worth risking breaking a leg, because there are tons of exposed roots and rocks and poo poo along that trail that are hard to spot even in the daytime!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Or they were spoofing.

Here's the thing though, even if people are considerate of when they take gyms (I try to be) I'm faced with the fact that I don't know how many coins you've gotten that day. if I see someone in a gym at 11:50 who took it 3 minutes ago, yeah, I can safely assume they want to try and hold that past midnight so I'll let it go. if I see someone who's been in a gym for 2, or 4, or 20 hours at 11:50, do they want to get kicked out today since they haven't gotten any coins or are they trying to hold that gym past midnight since they got kicked out of a different gym and did get coins?

I literally can't know that. so even if you assume best intentions, people are going to get it wrong sometimes. :shrug:

this is more of a general post about gyms and not about the park closing at sunset specifically. stop trespassing, pogo players!!!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Yeah I have a local rivalry with the Valor players who fight for the "Corn Crib" gym a short walk away. I'm now realizing it would be considerate to try to ascertain their schedule.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't give a poo poo what time it is. I typically just want to take the gym over and be on my way. I got places to be and can't be bothered hanging around for 10 mins just in case you may want your monster back tomorrow rather than today.

Also, I typically never take gyms over. I just plop them in when I see open spots 95% of the time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm more likely to assume someone at 11:50 wants to stay in the gym overnight. I've been more upset over people knocking me out at 11:50pm as opposed to being happy about it. I'm quite happy when someone knocks me out at midnight, though!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Psion posted:

Or they were spoofing.

Here's the thing though, even if people are considerate of when they take gyms (I try to be) I'm faced with the fact that I don't know how many coins you've gotten that day. if I see someone in a gym at 11:50 who took it 3 minutes ago, yeah, I can safely assume they want to try and hold that past midnight so I'll let it go. if I see someone who's been in a gym for 2, or 4, or 20 hours at 11:50, do they want to get kicked out today since they haven't gotten any coins or are they trying to hold that gym past midnight since they got kicked out of a different gym and did get coins?

I literally can't know that. so even if you assume best intentions, people are going to get it wrong sometimes. :shrug:

this is more of a general post about gyms and not about the park closing at sunset specifically. stop trespassing, pogo players!!!

It's probably a good bet to knock them out after midnight, regardless. If the day has only just rolled over, there's no way I've gotten my coins yet for that day, and now I don't have to worry about it!

That's the only time I'll get irritated about when a dude gets knocked out. Well... unless I just took over that gym and I've been knocked out by the time I've circled the block. That's a bit silly. I would like to get SOME coins for my trouble, please.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't give a poo poo what time it is. I typically just want to take the gym over and be on my way. I got places to be and can't be bothered hanging around for 10 mins just in case you may want your monster back tomorrow rather than today.

Also, I typically never take gyms over. I just plop them in when I see open spots 95% of the time.

Sounds like my quarrel is not with you. Carry on doing what you're doing!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah people itt are way too obsessed with “gym etiquette”.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Proper Gym etiquette: yell and grunt as loud as you want , but please put your weights back when done

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Some jerk knoked out my mon in less than 10 minutes today. I had the time and I was still nearby so I returned the favor.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
The gym had been blue for over 30 hours. I knocked the defenders out, put my mon in and then a few minutes later the gym was blue again.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

There's a gym near my work that's ringed with huge condo buildings, so no matter what time of day I try to take the gym, I get knocked out almost immediately. I think I have a grand total of 10 minutes holding the gym, after taking it at least a dozen times. I don't even bother anymore.

I'm not a huge stickler for gym etiquette. As the poster above said, I got places to go, etc. If I'm nearby, and I have a few min to spare, then I'm taking the gym over. I don't bother to check how many hours somebody has been holding it, or take concern over the time of day.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Yukari posted:

According to the prof oak bot...

Pidgey
Rattata
Zubat
Mankey
Gastly
Sentret
Hoothoot
Yanma
Remoraid
Zigzagoon
Whismur
Gulpin

Thanks

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Wheany posted:

The gym had been blue for over 30 hours. I knocked the defenders out, put my mon in and then a few minutes later the gym was blue again.

That's just someone being anal about "their gym" being taken over.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
I mostly try to only take gyms after midnight because if they already have their coins for that day, they're less likely to come after it, and by morning, it should be knocked out for my 50 coins. Otherwise, I'll go for any free spots. It seems to help reduce likelihood of getting knocked out 10 minutes later, although there have been a few jerks who do it anyway. One person who does it consistently around here did so while I happened to still be there catching spawns, so I gave it about 10 minutes so he'd have likely left, then took it back. :colbert:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i'm never out and about around midnight so this isn't a moral quandary that has ever affected me

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Xinder posted:

i'm never out and about around midnight so this isn't a moral quandary that has ever affected me

yeah i gotta be honest neither am I so I go by hours in the gym rather than time of day 99% of the time. and I'm lazy and rarely take gyms over :v:

Silver Falcon posted:

It's probably a good bet to knock them out after midnight, regardless. If the day has only just rolled over, there's no way I've gotten my coins yet for that day, and now I don't have to worry about it!

Still disagree. Consider a scenario which has literally happened to me: 0 coins for the day, it's 11:50, someone kicks me out of a gym. now I've gotten 50 coins and then it rolls over and I have 24 hours to get another 50. In that case the 11:50 takeover was good for everyone.

there is no way for someone external to know this, so it's just not worth worrying about.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 6, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
If I have the time, I check if the players are also on any nearby gyms :shrug:

In the morning I don't worry too much because they've porobably been there all night and regardless they still have time to put their mons on other gyms.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The best gym etiquette is to never kick anyone out of a gym at any time or for any reason, because they are probably going for a gold gym badge, and that would be just mean.

Or maybe it's to always kick everyone out of a gym because they might already have a gold badge and just need today's coins.

I am sure one of these two is the right and correct way to play this mobile phone game featuring pocket monsters.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Drink loads of water and wipe down the machine after you're done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
The only thought I put into taking over a gym is "Do I want to capture this gym?" If someone really cares about their coins they should be putting as many mons in gyms as they can.