Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Speaking of Pocket Casts I now have two entries for it in my app drawer. I'm using Nova but it's there in the Pixel launcher too. I'd uninstall/reinstall but I don't want to redownload a podcast I have fifty eps saved up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Speaking of Pocket Casts I now have two entries for it in my app drawer. I'm using Nova but it's there in the Pixel launcher too. I'd uninstall/reinstall but I don't want to redownload a podcast I have fifty eps saved up on.

Same for me. (OG pixel using action launcher)

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Hi Thread, I use Regularly to get reminders to do things on a regular basis, like replacing air filters, checking oil levels and stuff like that.

Regularly's main functionality is perfect, it reminds you daily, of things that are now due, it reminds you again until you do them, and records when you actually marked them as done so you have a history.

The only thing that is sorely missing from that app that was literally last updated half a decade ago, are (cloud) backups and a way to share tasks with others.

I have tried to find similar software, but have not found anything that was as focused on this particular niche, and wasn't a huge bloated mess of an app. Do you know of anything that would fit the my needs?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you don't get anything here, maybe ask the AI tool thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369&pagenumber=435&perpage=40

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

It's not AI specific, I also have household tasks like extractor hood filter cleaning and stuff on there. :shobon:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Am I crazy or does the new Pocket Casts not have a cast button?

e: Closed it and opened it and it came back.
e2: Update today fixed the duplicate entries in the app drawer.

Grim Up North posted:

I have tried to find similar software, but have not found anything that was as focused on this particular niche, and wasn't a huge bloated mess of an app. Do you know of anything that would fit the my needs?

I've looked for something like you described and have not found anything.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 19, 2018

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Grim Up North posted:

Hi Thread, I use Regularly to get reminders to do things on a regular basis, like replacing air filters, checking oil levels and stuff like that.

Regularly's main functionality is perfect, it reminds you daily, of things that are now due, it reminds you again until you do them, and records when you actually marked them as done so you have a history.

The only thing that is sorely missing from that app that was literally last updated half a decade ago, are (cloud) backups and a way to share tasks with others.

I'd be interested in that too. I use Tasks (and formerly Astrid) for that kind of thing now but Regularly looks like a better way of doing it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Why does the Twitter app force me to press back and go through all the individual tweets I've looked at before it gives me the ability to go to the home page? I usually end up closing and reopening the app to get there because it's faster. Am I just dumb or is there really no better way?

e: and yes I've purchased both Fenix and flamingo but don't care for either of them

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 21, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

is there really no better way?

No, it's not very well made.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stevie Lee posted:

e: and yes I've purchased both Fenix and flamingo but don't care for either of them

They also have the same problem.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
So does anyone know a call screening app that does things like the really neat Pixel call screening thing? It sounds cool since I've been getting a ton of calls lately for some ungodly reason.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

PurpleJesus posted:

So does anyone know a call screening app that does things like the really neat Pixel call screening thing? It sounds cool since I've been getting a ton of calls lately for some ungodly reason.

Hiya is one i hear is really popular

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting from Android Thread since I believe this was talked about here too

9to5google is getting called out for shoddy reporting by a Googler on the Hangouts team for sensationalizing the Hangouts shutdown and throwing out dates that were never confirmed.

https://twitter.com/happyinwater/status/1068861340800958466?s=09

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Got the Auto update. I noticed when I tap to view my current playing playlist in Google Play Music in my car, it takes me to the beginning of the list instead of the currently playing track. Since my now playing queue is really long, it locks me out from scrolling to the current track.

It works fine when I'm just running the app on my phone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So they shut down Groove, and I'm looking for an alternative. All I want is to play music from my desktop library on my phone. I took a look at Google Play Music which got mentioned in the OP, but it seems like you have to pay either way?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

No, you can upload your personal library to Google's cloud and playback for free.

Amazon has (had?) something similar.

Or you can manually sync your phone and your desktop. I'm sure there's a lot of services that could do that. I know MediaMonkey has one.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

So they shut down Groove, and I'm looking for an alternative. All I want is to play music from my desktop library on my phone. I took a look at Google Play Music which got mentioned in the OP, but it seems like you have to pay either way?

Things like Subsonic/Airsonic have apps as well as something that you can use a browser for when at other computers. I use Airsonic since I'm a cheap bastard.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I've wrestled intermittently with this on and off for years (via Subsonic and other services), but caved in and just dumped everything to Google Play Music a few months ago and am generally glad that I did. Only major drawback I've encountered is Shuffle doesn't accommodate larger libraries well and invariably picks from the thousand or so tracks in the alphabetic vicinity of your first selection, i.e. start with the first track in your whole library and every successive track's title will begin with the letter A. Other than that, it's convenient, desktop interface is excellent, mobile app is not as good but still OK. You can upload 50,000 tracks for free; I have a library about that size and virtually nothing was horked/miscategorized/etc in the upload process. Join-the-club nagware to become a paid subscriber is minimal, maybe one "Subscribe | No Thanks" box a day or so. All things told, recommended.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What about Plex

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Uthor posted:

No, you can upload your personal library to Google's cloud and playback for free.

Amazon has (had?) something similar.

Amazon either doesn't have it anymore, or they've severely crippled it. Unless it's hiding behind one of the thousand similar-looking links on their site. I know every effort I've made to add custom songs to my Christmas playlist for Alexa has been in vain.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I couldn't remember if it got canceled or curtailed. Looks like the program is over.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379330

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I wonder if they make a music player app that can hook into an S3 bucket in AWS. I wonder what the cost of that might be like.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So, take this with a grain of salt considering the inaccurate Hangouts report mentioned within this very article, but supposedly, based on "a reliable source"... Google Allo will be shutting down soon.

If true: lol

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I'd laugh and laugh and laugh if that's why they added chat functionality to Youtube a while back. It'd be Google at their absolute, peak Googliest.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Why is google messaging a total dumpster fire in tyool 2018? I have an idea google. Shitcan everything and make one (1) good app. Maybe call it, oh, I dunno, gchat.

j/k, just call it gmessage. Make gmessage-gmessage bubbles orange and texts to iPhones grey. Make it baked-in to Android, and make it fallback gracefully to RCS, or SMS if gmessage and RCS are unavailable.

Make a desktop app that lets you gmessage from a computer.

Give it a .gif library (and AR emoji if you absolutely have to).

Don't abandon it after 12 months.

There, I solved messaging for you. I take payment by venmo (get it, because your venmo clone is also a dumpster fire)

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Why is google messaging a total dumpster fire in tyool 2018? I have an idea google. Shitcan everything and make one (1) good app. Maybe call it, oh, I dunno, gchat.

j/k, just call it gmessage. Make gmessage-gmessage bubbles orange and texts to iPhones grey. Make it baked-in to Android, and make it fallback gracefully to RCS, or SMS if gmessage and RCS are unavailable.

Make a desktop app that lets you gmessage from a computer.

Give it a .gif library (and AR emoji if you absolutely have to).

Don't abandon it after 12 months.

There, I solved messaging for you. I take payment by venmo (get it, because your venmo clone is also a dumpster fire)

Lol Google has been doing pretty much everything you've suggested on a cyclical basis, except for the abandonment bit.

Or is this a jokepost?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, wait, aren't you basically describing the Messages app?

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

couldcareless posted:

Yeah, wait, aren't you basically describing the Messages app?

Parts of it. I'm also describing parts of Hangouts, google voice, and even allo. It's all already been done. Sometimes three different ways. None in a single app.

Thatsthejoke.jpg

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
But messages literally does all of that now except for I guess the gif library which is basically in most keyboards by default and on pc you can just dig up your desired gif.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, Gboard has a built in gif library that I use with Messages and WhatsApp extremely regularly. Messages does what you say dude, stop being a weirdo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Messages was terrible like two years ago. It's a pretty drat good sms app now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

couldcareless posted:

But messages literally does all of that now except for I guess the gif library which is basically in most keyboards by default and on pc you can just dig up your desired gif.

Eh? I've got GIF library in Messages, not from the keyboard:

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

couldcareless posted:

I admit it's been a hot minute since I looked at the messages app (it was a trash fire, and I'm on fi so there was no reason to use it over Hangouts), but last I checked there wasn't a standalone app (that's not tethered to your phone) for desk/lap tops like there is for Hangouts, is that not still the case?

Also, looking at it now it seems to use SMS for everything and that's a massive pain for group chats etc. Hangouts lets you know when someone is online and will use data to send hangouts-hangouts messages like iMessage does. It also has iMessage like features as a result, like read receipts and typing indicators that SMS lacks. It does seem to have integrated some of the better features of Hangouts (location share, gif library) and added some compelling new ones (integrated google pay) that it didn't use to have, so that's nice to see.

I admit that these responses are gonna make me take another look at the messages app, but I don't think me describing Google's approach to chat and messaging on a platform they control as a hot mess makes me a "weirdo", it's not a particularly novel or controversial position

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 6, 2018

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I messaged my wife with messages to see what would happen

Apparently it's cool and good to split messages from the same contact but a different chat app into two threads? This is what I'm talking about.

It seems to me that they have the bones of a good app in messages, now all they have to do is kill all their other, competing messaging apps and integrate their feature sets into messages.

At which point, you've recreated Hangouts on fi.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 6, 2018

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Might want to edit out your name and phone number in there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Allo is officially dead. :rip:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Sir Lemming posted:

So, take this with a grain of salt considering the inaccurate Hangouts report mentioned within this very article, but supposedly, based on "a reliable source"... Google Allo will be shutting down soon.

If true: lol

I just want them to buy out Cisco, and awkwardly kludge both Duos together into a tragic remote video 2FA helpdesk experience. And then they keep and tweak G Authenticator, just because.

The future is bothering some Google intern to reset maybe a third of my 5-part 2-tier login/auth super combo. Then my account will lock because I failed to convince a fellow human that I wasn't a deep-fake phishing attempt.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lol I just got 12 Rewards surveys on my work phone. Most were demographic data, with a couple repeat surveys. None on my personal in over a month. WTF, Google.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Just upgraded to a pixel3, but apparently llama doesn't work on this phone. Is there a comparable app with good cell-tower based location recognition that I can use to turn off Wi-Fi when I leave my house, silence my phone at work, and put it on vibrate at night if I am home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

rivetz posted:

I've wrestled intermittently with this on and off for years (via Subsonic and other services), but caved in and just dumped everything to Google Play Music a few months ago and am generally glad that I did. Only major drawback I've encountered is Shuffle doesn't accommodate larger libraries well and invariably picks from the thousand or so tracks in the alphabetic vicinity of your first selection, i.e. start with the first track in your whole library and every successive track's title will begin with the letter A. Other than that, it's convenient, desktop interface is excellent, mobile app is not as good but still OK. You can upload 50,000 tracks for free; I have a library about that size and virtually nothing was horked/miscategorized/etc in the upload process. Join-the-club nagware to become a paid subscriber is minimal, maybe one "Subscribe | No Thanks" box a day or so. All things told, recommended.

I'm trying to upload my music library, but it keeps saying it can't establish a secure connection. I turned off my Windows Firewall and BitDefender. Holy poo poo, this is annoying.