Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

XCOM 2 released a free legacy pack that's about what Bradford was up to before XCOM 2 after you lose XCOM 1, and put in some free soundtracks. One of them is a remix of UFO Defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbftQpzIyUk

Interceptor is an update of the music that'd play when your Interceptors do their thing against the UFOs. My little thing is I love that the song kicks off with the fighter jet scrambling and launching from the base. The whole thing is hitting peak 90s.

The whole expansion has cute little touches though. At one point you scavenge parts off of a downed UFO and in front of it is a tiny fighter. If you look closer at the smaller one it has the XCOM logo on it - it's the Firestorm you build in Enemy Unknown (somehow)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Mikl posted:

Zelda BOTW: I'm in a volcano. There's fire everywhere. A dude is trapped in a cave. So I take out my bow, select the bomb arrows... And the bow blows up in my face, killing me. (What the hell did I think would happen, using high explosives in a lake of lava?)

I just finished that game. Got all the shrines, did all the sidequests, etc. Was super good, and just so full of little things like that.

One of my favorite useful things was that later in the game when the elemental weapons start showing up, you could equip one of the fire ones and use it to start campfires and light torches and such. But the other useful little thing is just by having it equipped you could stand by the ice chunks and they would melt, you didn't have to bother with a fire or a torch or whatever. Knowing that game I'd bet having a fire arrow out would probably melt it too. Very useful for that one shrine high up in the mountains that's in a good location but a pain in the rear end because it's always iced in.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

XCOM 2 released a free legacy pack that's about what Bradford was up to before XCOM 2 after you lose XCOM 1, and put in some free soundtracks. One of them is a remix of UFO Defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbftQpzIyUk

Interceptor is an update of the music that'd play when your Interceptors do their thing against the UFOs. My little thing is I love that the song kicks off with the fighter jet scrambling and launching from the base. The whole thing is hitting peak 90s.

The whole expansion has cute little touches though. At one point you scavenge parts off of a downed UFO and in front of it is a tiny fighter. If you look closer at the smaller one it has the XCOM logo on it - it's the Firestorm you build in Enemy Unknown (somehow)!

My only problem with that song (which is great) is that since there are no interceptor missions in XCOM 2, when you use the UFO Defense soundtrack, that song plays while you are outfitting your team and seems to be much louder than the other songs on that soundtrack, so I get "race off to kick rear end music" beating me in the ears while I'm trying to make careful preparations.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Frush posted:

I just finished that game. Got all the shrines, did all the sidequests, etc. Was super good, and just so full of little things like that.

One of my favorite useful things was that later in the game when the elemental weapons start showing up, you could equip one of the fire ones and use it to start campfires and light torches and such. But the other useful little thing is just by having it equipped you could stand by the ice chunks and they would melt, you didn't have to bother with a fire or a torch or whatever. Knowing that game I'd bet having a fire arrow out would probably melt it too. Very useful for that one shrine high up in the mountains that's in a good location but a pain in the rear end because it's always iced in.

The interact-able systems within BotW are so great. The speedrunners have started buying and collecting wood, then making a 5-stack of wood campfires, because they put out a large updraft you can jump into and glide upwards and get a ton of air, and sequence-break the game.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

You can just dump chunks of flint on pressure plates instead of standing on them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I like that Read Only Memories let's you to poo poo on your annoying companion robot until it hates your guts.

Also the antagonist at the end is actually unsettling and creepy (good sound design helps) which is a rare thing to see in an adventure game. Too bad that pretty much all the other characters and dialogues are lame.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Is that literally "poo poo on" or do you mean " be very rude to"?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Nostradingus posted:

You can just dump chunks of flint on pressure plates instead of standing on them.

You can also drop metal weapons in a couple shrines with electric puzzles and use them to complete circuits.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

Olaf The Stout posted:

You can also drop metal weapons in a couple shrines with electric puzzles and use them to complete circuits.

You can combine these approaches and drop weapons on pressure plates to open them!

Olaf The Stout posted:

The interact-able systems within BotW are so great. The speedrunners have started buying and collecting wood, then making a 5-stack of wood campfires, because they put out a large updraft you can jump into and glide upwards and get a ton of air, and sequence-break the game.

This I didn't know. I could've used that a few times for certain.

In general the game is notable for having solid mechanics and kind of building the world to fit with the tools you have to interact with it. Honestly in some ways I think its a bit of a waste to brand it as a Zelda game; while it's a fantastic game and one of the better Zelda games it could have been a really cool new IP of some kind on its own merits. Another thing I'll point out was the soundtrack. Every town has it's own theme, I heard different themes when fighting different monsters, there's nods to the classical motifs all over etc. It's just a fantastic listen and worth listening to as you play.

I also really liked (Spoiler for when you beat all the shrines) that Kass, the musician bird person who give you hints about various shrines in the form of rhyming verse, goes home to his family after you get all the shrines. When you talk to him he recognizes you're the hero of legend since you went and solved the ancient hints that were written for you.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neverhood also had a fun one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUX8O6LMv9A

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is that literally "poo poo on" or do you mean " be very rude to"?

Not literally, sadly.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Thousand Year Door also let you agree to join the main villain partway through the final boss fight for an instant game over.

I'm about 3 bosses into Megaman 11 and just discovered the gallery, which seems to unlock gradually based on what bosses you've beaten. Block man has about 50 lines, or around double the other bosses, I assume just to fit in the number of brick puns he keeps laying down. Impact man talks in this really loud and overdramatic way that I assumed was either in contrast to him being the most blocky/basic looking or because he has the closest weapon to a knight's sword. Gallery says he's made up of 3 drill robots combined, the black one forms the body and head. Motherfucker is a voltron reference.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Impact Man is also a hazard in his own stage, those three parts are the things attacking you in lines throughout the level.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I never got far into that game, but gently caress that long hallway

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Suikoden 3 has the weakest war battles in the series but I discovered during todays stream by Konami that bosses aren't immune to spells that cause instant death. Cue the insanely hard to hit and hard hitting Yuber being killed by a Funeral Wind from a pretty awful spellcaster which instantly ends the war battl.e

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise: Despite me starting to burn out on the game at the point where it wants me to find Jagi, I gotta give them credit; it was nice that the Thouzer fight was cool.

Kyo-Oh's army invades and they start wrecking up the place, you got to the cabaret bar to save the mayor and have a boss fight with him. But the dude's super tough and your attacks bounce off of him more than half the time. Once you get him down to 75% health Kenshiro announces that he's figured out the trick here and then he just turns into a normal boss.

For some reason Thouzer's internal organs are all reversed. So Hokuto Shinken- a pressure point focused martial art style- pretty much doesn't work on him till that revelation.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

For some reason Thouzer's internal organs are all reversed.

It's a real condition

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
And it's also a reference to the original Fist of the North Star anime.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Also a plot point in the last mission (named Situs Inversus funnily enough) in Hitman 2016. One of your targets has the condition and is on the operating table for a heart transplant. You can assassinate him by throwing the donor heart in a trash can since the chance of them finding another reverse heart in time is miniscule

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Winklebottom posted:

Also a plot point in the last mission (named Situs Inversus funnily enough) in Hitman 2016. One of your targets has the condition and is on the operating table for a heart transplant. You can assassinate him by throwing the donor heart in a trash can since the chance of them finding another reverse heart in time is miniscule

Funny thing, for situs inversus organ transplants, a SI donor isn't actually required: https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/reversed-organs-miracle-heart-transplant-man-situs-inversus/story?id=8629850

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can't you just like, turn turn the heart around

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"And the new #1 track this week on the Countdown is...!"

Calaveron posted:

turn turn the heart around

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Not exactly, for the same reason you can't turn computer parts to face the other way. The left and right alignment would be fixed but everything that would be on the back would be on the front now and so on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

...Oh poo poo yeah, right. Wasn't there like a Sherlock Holmes story that was resolved that way? I feel like there was some kind of mystery story where that turned out to be the solution.

Mikl posted:

And it's also a reference to the original Fist of the North Star anime.

Yeah and I've been spending the better part of the last ten hours blowing people up by jabbing them in a pressure point so I just thought this was a random condition this guy had that made for a good antagonist shield.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crusader Kings 2 has the best patch notes.

quote:

Hopefully fixed the Children's Crusade still getting stuck at Genoa, stacking ludicrous amounts of event troops and then obliterating Islam.

Made sure it's not *anyone* that writes a romantic tale of their mother and their inappropriate sparring matches.

Added age check on wandering knight falling in love with a Queen during her coronation.

Made sure your character is aware of the fact that your *spouse* is the satanist inductor in the devil worshiping joining chain (you can no longer shock them with your marital status as a way to chicken out).

Lesbian rulers will no longer believe that their lover has become pregnant with their child.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Lesbian rulers? What loving sjw trash.

Crusader kinds always sounds like such a cool impenetrable game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ilmucche posted:

Lesbian rulers? What loving sjw trash.

Crusader kinds always sounds like such a cool impenetrable game

It's mainly impenetrable if you want to break the game over your knee, there's countless shenanigans you can peruse if you want to do this:

On the other hand I once had a game where Joan of Arc became queen of England and was sleeping with Maid Marian, then they both converted to Norse paganism and one of Joan's last acts in life was to ritually sacrifice the Pope to the Aesir, after taking him prisoner in a raid that sacked Rome.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Games that are way more fun to read about than actually play:

-Crusader Kings 2
-Dwarf Fortress
-EVE

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

How does it work for when a leader dies? Your character is sort of the court advisor or whatever who lives for generations, but when a leader dies and the territory is split, how does the game decide which piece is now yours?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ilmucche posted:

How does it work for when a leader dies? Your character is sort of the court advisor or whatever who lives for generations, but when a leader dies and the territory is split, how does the game decide which piece is now yours?

Your character is the head of your bloodline. When they die, you switch to the next in line.

Who that is depends on your succession laws and how many kids, if any, you have. A prominent part of the game is trying to make sure the right kid inherits - and not, say, the deformed, mentally retarded imbecile who is both your son and your uncle because your character got drunk at a festival and gave his mother a good tumble. Cause if you have elective succession, you just know your vassals will vote for that kid and not your military genius son whose wife is a brilliant spymaster. One common recourse in such times is for your unsuitable potential heir to suffer a fatal accident.

You are not your court advisor, those are NPCs and range the gamut from loyal friends to treacherous bastards.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Dec 6, 2018

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Your character is the head of a dynasty, whether you’re Count No-one of Nowheresburgh or Byzantine Emperor depends on who you start as and how good you are at playing. Exactly what happens when you die depends on crown laws, there’s a bunch of different inheritance laws ranging from “the nobility votes on who gets what,” “the land is split between all eligible heirs,” or “oldest son gets everything. That again depends on everything from what kingdom you’re in, your character’s culture, religion, how much effort you invest in changing them, etc

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And it should be emphasized: arranging the murder of your own kids in Crusader Kings 2 is not only an option, it's genuinely useful at times.

Or, if you're the Byzantines, you can settle for blinding and/or castrating them instead.

You may also occasionally find yourself ordering the assassination of your child's spouse because they married someone for love who has terrible stats and/or no useful claims.

Cythereal has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Dec 6, 2018

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
What is that, a screencap for ants?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is that, a screencap for ants?

It's imgur. You can open it in a new tab to see it full size.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Cythereal posted:

It's imgur. You can open it in a new tab to see it full size.

TIMG tagged images on the forum can be expanded to "forum" size by clicking on the image, meaning that they'll expand up to a maximum width of 900px, to avoid breaking tables If you click on the actual resolution in the top left when expanding it, however, it'll expand to the image's full size, tables be damned.

Or you can open it in a new tab, either way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Olesh posted:

If you click on the actual resolution in the top left when expanding it, however, it'll expand to the image's full size, tables be damned.

This hasn't worked for me in a very long time (Safari), does it work right now for other browsers?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Is that the one where your spymaster uncovers your spymaster's plot to assassinate your spymaster?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Is that the one where your spymaster uncovers your spymaster's plot to assassinate your spymaster?

Yes! But that screenshot is actually showing a bug in the games name choosing algorithm that is long since fixed.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

My Lovely Horse posted:

Recursive betrayal is a time-honored tradition, especially among viziers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OcaZPWC6NU