Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I'm halfway through my, like, fourth reread of the only 6 D U N E books ever written and I have to say I'm coming around to the common sentiment if this thread, finding Children to be a lot worse and weirder than Messiah.

It's still a nice setup for God Emperor but yeah it's a bit weird and weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I'm halfway through my, like, fourth reread of the only 6 D U N E books ever written and I have to say I'm coming around to the common sentiment if this thread, finding Children to be a lot worse and weirder than Messiah.

The Encyclopedia is also a Dune book.

:colbert:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 4, 2018

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

lol I did the abominable and counted the dune sonfiction books.

just lol

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anne Frank Funk posted:

lol I did the abominable and counted the dune sonfiction books.

just lol

Let me guess, he's now written (with the help of a prolific hackwriter lol) more books than his pappy? Which of course, means he is a worthy successor?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

phasmid posted:

Let me guess, he's now written (with the help of a prolific hackwriter lol) more books than his pappy? Which of course, means he is a worthy successor?

He IS @DuneAuthor

Edit: I’m sorry [Dune Thread], I’m fully aware that all of my posts in this thread are not related to True Dune Murderhead’s related stuff. Gonna catch a probe for real one of these days. To bring this back on track: I only read Dune 4-6 once and I should give them another go. I was probably too young for the God Emperor mindfucks at the time.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 4, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anne Frank Funk posted:

He IS @DuneAuthor

He's a dirty Tleilaxu!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Messiah is legit good as hell, like very romantic and somber and foreboding

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

The Encyclopedia is also a Dune book.

:colbert:

I feel stupid for forgetting Encyclopedia.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Messiah is legit good as hell, like very romantic and somber and foreboding

I always liked it but I used to like it less than Children. But on this reread I found Children to be a bit clumsier despite Messiah still feeling like it was more hastily thrown together.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I feel stupid for forgetting Encyclopedia.

Go now and sin no more.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Holy poo poo.

:nfpa:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
https://twitter.com/DonJHarkonnen/status/1070348779780481024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh my god Hahahah

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

lol

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
The Chani casting call leaked. Imo its good they're looking specifically for an African or Arabic actress. I hope an unknown is cast personally.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Yadoppsi posted:

The Chani casting call leaked. Imo its good they're looking specifically for an African or Arabic actress. I hope an unknown is cast personally.

Yeah, but I heard they're also gonna merge her character with Bijaz. The composite character is named "Bitch-rear end" and is killed at Tuono instead of Jamis. What is that, I ask you?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Speaking of sietch orgies... Mia Khalifa for Chani.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Greig Fraser on for DP. He shot Lion, Rogue One, Foxcatcher, Zero Dark Thirty.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Am i a bad person for liking the saga of the seven suns by kja? Some of tgise quotes of him tho, yeesh.

This thread is making me want to dig up my set of the books and reread them. Was a teenager and i barely rememer any of the books besides 1 and 4. Except for the sweet part where they were transplanting the sand worms to another planet.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Give lynch another shot

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Neil Breen’s Dune

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

Neil Breen’s Dune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPSOSv4pD7w

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tnuctip posted:

Am i a bad person for liking the saga of the seven suns by kja? Some of tgise quotes of him tho, yeesh.

I like them too, but then I demonstrably enjoy trash because I didn't hate the Butlerian Jihad books.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tnuctip posted:

Am i a bad person for liking [...] kja?

Yes.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I like them too, but then I demonstrably enjoy trash because I didn't hate the Butlerian Jihad books.

Im honestly looking foward to the follow up shadows night or whatever series.

So reading through this thread, ive been looking at the dune wikia a bunch with all of the talk on here, and discovering that the hack writer @duneauthor came up with ultraspice. But apparently its just concentrated spice, whats the point when you could just take more regular spice? At the risk of being dissapointed and/or creating another crappy dune book, was there ever a thing such as “super” presience related to ultraspice?

Also rewatched Dune again, bummer they never mention the knives of the fremen are worm teeth.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Tnuctip posted:

Im honestly looking foward to the follow up shadows night or whatever series.

So reading through this thread, ive been looking at the dune wikia a bunch with all of the talk on here, and discovering that the hack writer @duneauthor came up with ultraspice. But apparently its just concentrated spice, whats the point when you could just take more regular spice? At the risk of being dissapointed and/or creating another crappy dune book, was there ever a thing such as “super” presience related to ultraspice?

Also rewatched Dune again, bummer they never mention the knives of the fremen are worm teeth.

Paul takes water of life, which is concentrated spice essence, to break through some kind of mental block and finally achieve prescience.

But yeah @duneauthor probably had something incredibly stupid planned for ultraspice.

e: if he did, don't tell me i don't want to know

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Paul takes water of life, which is concentrated spice essence, to break through some kind of mental block and finally achieve prescience.

But yeah @duneauthor probably had something incredibly stupid planned for ultraspice.

e: if he did, don't tell me i don't want to know

Its whats looking back at us in the place we are afraid to look, @duneauthors books

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Didn't Lord Cybertron 3000 give the ultraspice to the evil Paul clone, but it made him catatonic?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

vortmax posted:

Didn't Lord Cybertron 3000 give the ultraspice to the evil Paul clone, but it made him catatonic?

I literally cannot tell if this is a joke/troll or not.

:(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I used to really wonder why Frank never followed up on the fact that Lady Fenring had conceived a child with Feyd; especially since that child could probably have fulfilled the same role that Farad'n does. It just seems that with some minor tweaks that would have made sense from both a narrative standpoint and from a Bene Gesserit plotting standpoint. Instead that child (and possibly both the Count and his Lady) is never mentioned again as far as i recall. It's like he just forgot about them/that plot point.

After googling a bit i see that BH and KJA wrote some words about the kid in some stupid book or another. And i was much happier just wondering what happened from just a story perspective and a novel-writing one.

anyway

h-m-m-m-m, a-a-a-a-a-h

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Schadenboner posted:

I literally cannot tell if this is a joke/troll or not.

:(

Yeah it’s Lord Cybertrex 8000. Idiot troll

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

a kitten posted:

I used to really wonder why Frank never followed up on the fact that Lady Fenring had conceived a child with Feyd; especially since that child could probably have fulfilled the same role that Farad'n does. It just seems that with some minor tweaks that would have made sense from both a narrative standpoint and from a Bene Gesserit plotting standpoint. Instead that child (and possibly both the Count and his Lady) is never mentioned again as far as i recall. It's like he just forgot about them/that plot point.

After googling a bit i see that BH and KJA wrote some words about the kid in some stupid book or another. And i was much happier just wondering what happened from just a story perspective and a novel-writing one.

anyway

h-m-m-m-m, a-a-a-a-a-h

The kid couldn't do anything because he wouldn't be necessary anymore. Probably just grew up in a BG orphanage or something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yadoppsi posted:

Are nerds melting down about this despite it making perfect sense?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Are nerds melting down about this despite it making perfect sense?
I'm pretty sure the people who make children's cartoons and funny books into a front for shock combat for Adolf Hitler's good name cannot wrap their drat head around Dune. It's kind of funny because it's probably closer to their actual worldview than a lot of the stuff they do valorize.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Brian!

Brian!

Brian!

A million deaths are not enough for Brian!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

I'm pretty sure the people who make children's cartoons and funny books into a front for shock combat for Adolf Hitler's good name cannot wrap their drat head around Dune. It's kind of funny because it's probably closer to their actual worldview than a lot of the stuff they do valorize.

They even say he did nothing wrong relative to other despots such as Paul himself because power on that level always brings about unspeakable violence and the guilt weighs heavily on his shoulders as it should ours because who gives these men power to commit attrocities? We do!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Also Paul depopulated entire planets for refusing to swear fealty to him. Which is a not very nice thing to do.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

Also Paul depopulated entire planets for refusing to swear fealty to him. Which is a not very nice thing to do.

Well, he could see the future and it was even worse* if he didn't

It's like God's plan requiring millions of children to starve to death or be killed by tsunamis and volcanoes. You wouldn't understand

*not for those particular people, though, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paul did nothing wrong.