Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Assuming age=experience=wisdom is pretty faulty when you consider the average sheltered-rear end white suburban boomers and trust fund idiots who make up the Republican party

E: Like these two:

Ivan (the black one) is older, but he's lived a pampered housecat life since he was 8 weeks old. Egon's younger, but he comes from the streets, and seems much wiser and more chill as a result.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tibalt posted:

I mean, we could abolish the presidency. It's not a crazy idea.

But we'd probably end up putting all the power in the hands of Ryan/McConnell versus Pelosi/Schumer, so.

Abolish the state, problem solved

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
A minimum age for President only makes sense if you also set a maximum age. I'm fine with, say, 30-60.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Assuming age=experience=wisdom is pretty faulty when you consider the average sheltered-rear end white suburban boomers and trust fund idiots who make up the Republican party

Seriously someone like AOC has had more relevant real-world experience of what America is than every 50-year-old trust fund baby who got in to Harvard on legacy admissions and slid into a finance job working for daddy's friends put together.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Unfortunately, the only thing that will probably happen is this poor woman getting deported.

https://twitter.com/marclacey/status/1070746860099395584

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Setting minimum publically elected service requirements would be more effective at weeding out idiots and would effectively set age limits too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Setting minimum publically elected service requirements would be more effective at weeding out idiots and would effectively set age limits too.

Sorry Mr Lincoln, you've only served one term in the House you couldn't possibly be up to the task of running a country

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Seriously someone like AOC has had more relevant real-world experience of what America is than every 50-year-old trust fund baby who got in to Harvard on legacy admissions and slid into a finance job working for daddy's friends put together.
Sweet, are you proposing to make AOC the President of the United States, right this instant? I love her, but so far her experience consists of political activism and waitressing. She'll make a fine freshman House member, but you are loving crazy if you want someone with that resume to be your President.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Sweet, are you proposing to make AOC the President of the United States, right this instant? I love her, but so far her experience consists of political activism and waitressing. She'll make a fine freshman House member, but you are loving crazy if you want someone with that resume to be your President.

You learn a loving lot from waitressing and bartending, though. I'd love to see other politicians try it on a busy night, see how they do. If nothing else it proves she can multitask like a motherfucker.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

She would probably be way better than the last 6 presidents at least

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think she also worked for one of the kennedies on policy or something.

And has a degree in economics

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If I had a magic make-AOC-president-now wand?

Are you kidding, look who is president right now, is she going to be worse than that?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Sooooo when do we start building guillotines in the town square? Anyone need me to run to Home Depot?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

drat, there was bound to be something to dislike about her.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I don't have a Twitter account and frankly, I've never had the desire to even get one. Until now. AOC tweets are really making me rethink jumping on twitter.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I think she also worked for one of the kennedies on policy or something.

Yeah this is a really good point, it's weird how the young Latina woman's credentials and education are ignored, and even liberals boil her down to the menial labor job she had to do to survive in an economy run by supposedly experienced wise elder statesmen.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

As opposed to the trust fund assholes we have mostly had in the past? At this point I'm ready for Air Bud to throw his collar in the nomination ring.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

This begs the question, who would be better to run the country, a person of the working class who ran for office, or a gameshow host who cannot comprehend that they ever failed at anything, and got pushed into it by nazis? We're already off the rails here, and that sounds like :decorum:

Not that I'm calling you a Trump supporter, but really?

Don't play the game, change it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do not get a twitter account. All the best tweets get singled out and you can find them in other places like this thread.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah this is a really good point, it's weird how the young Latina woman's credentials and education are ignored, and even liberals boil her down to the menial labor job she had to do to survive in an economy run by supposedly experienced wise elder statesmen.

probably because those aspects are way more likeable tbh

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Your Taint posted:

Unfortunately, the only thing that will probably happen is this poor woman getting deported.

https://twitter.com/marclacey/status/1070746860099395584

Lol publishing this is almost certainly just going to hurt her and seems pretty despicable to me. Good job scoring an empty meaningless own on Trump that achieves nothing but hurting this lady dipshits.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Spun Dog posted:

As opposed to the trust fund assholes we have mostly had in the past? At this point I'm ready for Air Bud to throw his collar in the nomination ring.

yeah all these gatekeeping rules both real and hypothetical would still have let george w bush sail right through so frankly i don't see the point

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KickerOfMice posted:

This begs the question, who would be better to run the country, a person of the working class who ran for office, or a gameshow host who cannot comprehend that they ever failed at anything? We're already off the rails here, and that sounds like :decorum:

Pretty sure "throwing a random person into high office without any real indication of how to run the country is absurd" was supposed to be the takeaway from the election, not "oh well we should just do it more"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

haveblue posted:

Do not get a twitter account. All the best tweets get singled out and you can find them in other places like this thread.

Counterpoint: get a Twitter account. It's the best social media network for jokes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TheScott2K posted:

Counterpoint: get a Twitter account. It's the best social media network for jokes.

Counter counter point, nazis

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Stexils posted:

probably because those aspects are way more likeable tbh

I don't think the people dismissing her as "just a waitress" are doing that because they think it's a compliment.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Pretty sure "throwing a random person into high office without any real indication of how to run the country is absurd" was supposed to be the takeaway from the election, not "oh well we should just do it more"

FDR took bumpkins from all over the country and put them in charge of spinning up brand new federal departments and it worked great, because unlike the blue-blood Ivy Leaguers who run everything today, those people actually wanted the country to work for their fellow man instead of serve is a grift conveyor for the rich.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Being an intern in a Congressional office and having a B.A. in Economics and IR does not qualify you to be President of the United States.

KickerOfMice posted:

This begs the question, who would be better to run the country, a person of the working class who ran for office, or a gameshow host who cannot comprehend that they ever failed at anything? We're already off the rails here, and that sounds like :decorum:

Not that I'm calling you a Trump supporter, but really?

Don't play the game, change it.
This isn't, "who's a better President, Trump or AOC?" It's, "is AOC qualified to be President?"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CuddleCryptid posted:

The average 25 year old college educated American would do an infinitely better job than Trump if for no other reason that they are not senile and likely not nearly as racist.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh I know, it just steams me that the party always whining about Hollywood Types are the ones who have elected a movie star, and a gameshow host as president. :argh:

This isn't, "who's a better President, Trump or AOC?" It's, "is AOC qualified to be President?"

I think she is, if that is not obvious. I was just making a comparison.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 6, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Counter counter point, nazis

Counter counter counter point dunking on Nazis

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Being an intern in a Congressional office and having a B.A. in Economics and IR does not qualify you to be President of the United States.
Why not.

The president's main effect is choosing good advisers and putting the right people in charge of executive departments, she would make better choices than probably the last 10 presidents did if not more.

Yes she is, next question.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

The average 25 year old college educated American would do an infinitely better job than Trump if for no other reason that they are not senile and likely not nearly as racist.
The average 25 year old college educated American would also make a turd sandwich of a President, just in a different way, even if they have all the right political positions.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

Oh I know, it just steams me that the party always whining about Hollywood Types are the ones who have elected a movie star, and a gameshow host as president. :argh:

They hate all celebrities unless it's one of the rare ones that embraces Republicanism. Like every musician should just shut up about leftist politics and sing/play guitar/whatever, but Kid Rock, Ted Nugent and sometimes Kanye West are all very wise.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol publishing this is almost certainly just going to hurt her and seems pretty despicable to me. Good job scoring an empty meaningless own on Trump that achieves nothing but hurting this lady dipshits.
I mean you aren't wrong that's it's probably going to hurt her, but it's not like the Times created some sort of sting to expose her?

quote:

Ms. Morales and Ms. Diaz approached The New York Times through their New Jersey lawyer, Anibal Romero, who is representing them on immigration matters. Ms. Morales said that she understood she could be fired or deported as a result of coming forward, though she has applied for protection under the asylum laws.

She seems to understand the risks she is taking and she has representation in her issues, I don't think that the Times respecting her wishes and providing her a platform to knowingly publicize her story is 'despicable'.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Even if you don’t think AOC is qualified to be president right now she’ll almost certainly be qualified by the time she’s constitutionally eligible.

^ I retract my objection and I was wrong then.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

launch the entire nytimes into the sun

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What does the resume of a "qualified" President look like, exactly?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Twitter hasn't pulled something stupid and dumb like banning female presenting nipples while harboring white supremacy and alt right nazi boards yet so

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

What does the resume of a "qualified" President look like, exactly?

Yuge and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Even if you don’t think AOC is qualified to be president right now she’ll almost certainly be qualified by the time she’s constitutionally eligible.
Maybe if she keeps getting elected! 6 years in the House is a real good start.