Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blazing Ownager posted:

1: Using tear gas in a riot is okay, and it was clearly an out of control riot.

2: Hollywood executives are laughing at every puppet they can make dance on their strings by hurling terms around like 'toxic masculinity' which makes people shut off their brains and defend their inferior crappy products. Blame Sony, they were the real pioneers in that.

It's not an anti toxic masculinity crusade you turd you're interpreting it that way.

The riot was a refugee train full of children. You should be worried about why we weren't ready for them instead of how we should disperse them. That's what Americans do. Your mindset is selfish and paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

It's not an anti toxic masculinity crusade you turd you're interpreting it that way.

Just :lol: if you don't think studios like Sony were milking and stoking that fire as much as possible to draw fire from a lovely product and that others haven't copied them.

Doltos posted:

The riot was a refugee train full of children.

No, it was a group consistent of at least three quarters single male individuals that were quite literally running over a fence and running at a full sprint for the US border while hurling rocks at anyone trying to stop them. Literally. There's tons of video of it. There were some kids freaking out that got dragged into it, almost exclusively at the rear of this.

Look how these same assholes treated the lesser equipped Mexican border patrol and roughly when the tear gas got fired in the US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_ptEOYFpw (Look at these helpless innocent refugees)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnjHxOxfrMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CQdicvp-us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_z08BtoLc

^
Not a riot?? :lol:

You can reword and pretty up the way this is talked about all you want, that's a loving riot. Also the news article is wrong, they are not universally seeking asylum and most of them rejected Mexican asylum while wanting Mexico to feed them, shelter them, and telling Mexico to screw itself. Anyway I'm sick of talking about this, seriously, but my God the attempts to repackage this to conjure mental images of the US being evil mustache twirling villains dropping gas bombs on children are such bullshit.

Seriously just watch that video of them trashing the Mexican border and assaulting the officers there.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 5, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well if nothing else, you've succeeded in making me want to stop talking about the border crisis

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

Well if nothing else, you've succeeded in making me want to stop talking about the border crisis

Well then

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Blazing Ownager posted:

Just :lol: if you don't think studios like Sony were milking and stoking that fire as much as possible to draw fire from a lovely product and that others haven't copied them.

No, it was a group consistent of at least three quarters single male individuals that were quite literally running over a fence and running at a full sprint for the US border while hurling rocks at anyone trying to stop them. Literally. There's tons of video of it. There were some kids freaking out that got dragged into it, almost exclusively at the rear of this.

Look how these same assholes treated the lesser equipped Mexican border patrol and roughly when the tear gas got fired in the US:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO_ptEOYFpw (Look at these helpless innocent refugees)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnjHxOxfrMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9_z08BtoLc

^
Not a riot?? :lol:

You can reword and pretty up the way this is talked about all you want, that's a loving riot. Also the news article is wrong, they are not universally seeking asylum and most of them rejected Mexican asylum while wanting Mexico to feed them, shelter them, and telling Mexico to screw itself. Anyway I'm sick of talking about this, seriously, but my God the attempts to repackage this to conjure mental images of the US being evil mustache twirling villains dropping gas bombs on children are such bullshit.

Seriously just watch that video of them trashing the Mexican border and assaulting the officers there.

You didn't watch those videos. There's children in every single one of them, not at the back at the end of the gassing.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
This thread needs a whole lotta gassing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Knee posted:

This thread needs a whole lotta gassing.

On it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDDJvC2CGaU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll reopen after the next episode. Hopefully we will have good things to say about South Park again.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Now we're back on track. The montage set to "16 Tons" was actually really striking and well-directed. But aside from that it was also just a really funny episode. The other montage with their "Unfulfilled" song slayed me. So did the man in the box* and the reporter's questions to him. And Jeff Bezos as a Talosian (from Star Trek) was inspired. Having him observe humans via Alexa was the icing on the cake -- a reference that worked on many levels. Nice Mr. Slave (get it?) cameo too.

Hopefully the finale nails it. They're definitely better at setting things up than concluding them.

*maybe the next episode will have a montage set to Alice In Chains

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 6, 2018

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That was a great episode and the opening work 16 Tons was some really good poo poo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
South Park is so self aware it's nuts

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Was it just me, or did they not bleep a single f-bomb?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shitenshi posted:

Was it just me, or did they not bleep a single f-bomb?

Since I watch it early in the morning on my laptop while the kids are asleep, I have subtitles on to make it easier. The Irish-sounding guy was always transcribed as "fookin'" so I guess they determined that it didn't have to be bleeped! Butters' dad still got bleeped once.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I think the "joke" with the PC Babies not going to the Mexican border to protest was that "it was too far". You see, PC Babies will do the whole performative wokeness thing as long as they don't have to travel too far to do it. That was the joke, not that it was okay to tear gas refugees.

I got the same. Randy also mentioned it when he was PC, he has to rhetorically do something good and that's it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Well I guess if you were pissed off by the PC babies jokes then "Lol Amazon treats it workers like poo poo" probably wasn't very funny either. I'm surprised there wasn't a Gritty cameo but maybe they're saving that for next week. The guy in the box was spot on though, he sounded exactly like the memes that an anticapitalist friend of mine posts on Facebook.

Overall, very strong episode.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

There, was that so hard? That episode had promise and delivered. Give us an entire season of those episodes and I'm fine with it. Take a major force in today's world and skewer it like they used to without making it grating.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
By coincidence, this could end up being their most topical episode ever: Amazon workers hospitalized after warehouse robot releases bear repellent

This happened yesterday morning and was first reported in the late afternoon.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Yo, that episode was funny as all hell

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Unfulfilled was excellent. Agreed that they had a clear statement and narrative to tell, and not one single joke was beaten into the ground.

Buddha Box, I'm a bit late, but finally watched it today. I found it to be funny enough, but It felt like three half -baked premises that could have made complete episodes:

1. Some people, like Cartman, use anxiety as an excuse to be lovely people.
2. The Buddha Box and people's excuses to not look away from their phones.
3. PC Babies Adventures.

Over the past year or so I've been dealing with some really extreme anxiety attacks, so I found it a tad annoying that they handwaved anxiety disorders as entirely fake, but I still laughed, so whatever. I also find the PC Babies funny despite being a bleeding heart libtard, the only thing I don't like is it's bound to become the next conservative/alt-right generalized insult for the left.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 7, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Much better than last week.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Somebody literally yesterday complained to me that they didn't like it when watching television was too involved and attention-consuming for him to be able to use his phone and I kind of wanted to end it all right then and there.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

I ask again, seriously, what you would do in this scenario: You are border security. You are outnumbered like 20:1. Hundreds of people begin to bum rush you hurling rocks and leaping fences and trying to sprint through your line. What the gently caress are you supposed to do?

Calling them refugees is really, really disingenuous. That does not conjure images of riots and angry mobs brute-forcing their way through things. Nobody would have loving gassed them (like we do our own citizens in a riot) if they had, you know, not started a loving riot. This is such an attempt to sugar coat it hurts.

I've watched the videos and I see one or two kids at the beginning of them running with adults holding their little hands. There aren't a lot of them until the end of the video, but they're there. I don't see them rioting. I didn't see anyone throwing rocks in these videos, even though they may be throwing them. I see them running past riot shields. There's a difference. I didn't think troops should be sent to the border because I thought this would happen, because it happened at the Gaza border where protesters tried to destroy the border wall while throwing rocks, and then the Israeli border guards shot indiscriminately into the crowd and 20 Palestinians died. I think after the Banana Wars, Operation Condor, and our involvement in our handling of the aftermath of the 2009 Honduran coup, we've had a hand in Central and South American politics for far too long to say that it's entirely on these people to go back and fix their own countries. Honduras has an astonishingly high crime rate of about 59.0 per 100,000, worsened by our failed War on Drugs policy. Wait times for citizenship, due to the 7% per country green card cap, can be as long as 15 years. I see media personalities like Tomi Lahren saying that these people crossing the border are like people cutting in a grocery store checkout line, but with lines this long, an actual grocery store would've opened more lines by now. Only 200 of the 1,200 members of the migrant caravan applied for asylum in the U.S. instead of Mexico, and since the wait lines may be shorter here than in Mexico, I don't blame them.

I don't really watch South Park, and I don't even have an opinion on whether it's good or bad.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Long Running TV Show Hit-or-Miss, People Somehow Surprised: The Thread

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

galenanorth posted:

I don't really watch South Park, and I don't even have an opinion on whether it's good or bad.

Shut the gently caress up and get out of the thread.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Namaste.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Unfulfilled was excellent. Agreed that they had a clear statement, story, and narrative to tell, and not one single joke was beaten into the ground.

Buddha Box, , I'm a bit late, but finally watched it today. I found it to be funny enough, but It felt like three half baked premises that could have made complete episodes:

1. Some people, like Cartman, use anxiety as an excuse to be lovely people.
2. The Buddha Box and people's excuses to not look away from their phones.
3. PC Babies Adventures.

Over the past year or so I've been dealing with some really extreme anxiety attacks, so I found it a tad annoying that they handwaved anxiety disorders as entirely fake, but I still laughed, so whatever. I also find the PC Babies funny despite being a bleeding heart libtard, the only thing I don't like is it's bound to become the next conservative/alt-right generalized insult for the left.

Yeah, half-baked is the best description for South Park in general. Anxiety attacks can be funny, but obviously Tweak is the best character for that story. The Buddha Box is pretty much incomprehensible as a a comedic premise, but could work as a satire on phones but yeah, completely half-baked. The PC babies have been funny in the past but the premise has to have some kind of point of view, even if it's a lovely one I disagree with, and they don't really have one.

This week's episode was better. The 16 tons montage in the beginning was good, but it's tough to make a show that so often tries to be so political and current event-ish without having any intelligence or thought behind it. It's just throwing very shallow things at the wall and seeing what sticks. At least it qualified as an actual television episode as opposed to last week and a few others from this year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think this weeks episode was about what we can expect in terms of good current SP. So I'll take it. Too bad the bar is so low now because 10 years ago this would have been decidedly average.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
It’s pretty awesome that the show that made “Gnomes” (which is still a funny episode but totally wrong-headed) is now doing episodes like “Unfulfilled.” True, it’s taken them twenty years (Christ I’m old) to make that 180, but I hope it sticks. Most TV shows don’t ever acknowledge when they’ve taken a bad position in the past. 20 years late is better than never.

Waltzing Along posted:

I think this weeks episode was about what we can expect in terms of good current SP. So I'll take it. Too bad the bar is so low now because 10 years ago this would have been decidedly average.

12 years ago they were doing poo poo like “Mr. Garrison’s Fancy New Vagina.” This week’s was much better than most of the episodes from the mid-to-late 2000’s.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 7, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

This was an amazing episode and while i can see rich as gently caress entertainers heel turning kn the environment i seriously never ever once expected to see an honest leftist critique on south park much less of jeff fuckin bezos. I was unreasonably happy to see this episode in a season i basically skipped until last week

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think South Park is more internet libertarian than anti left/right.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

basic hitler posted:

This was an amazing episode and while i can see rich as gently caress entertainers heel turning kn the environment i seriously never ever once expected to see an honest leftist critique on south park much less of jeff fuckin bezos. I was unreasonably happy to see this episode in a season i basically skipped until last week

Yeah I'll believe it at the end of the two-parter. Pretty sure it's headed for a speech by Stan about "Sure, Jeff Bezos is an alien intent on turning everyone into a worker/consumer cog in his infinity machine, but also the union should stop being pussies and get back to work".

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Bezos has pretty much the same voice as Funnybot from way back. Makes sense given they're both sci-fi abominations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Doltos posted:

I think South Park is more internet libertarian than anti left/right.

I know this has been done to death but they're fairly liberal. They believe in good corporatism and bad corporatism, sensible regulation, they're anti Monopoly, and occasionally fine with war as a cost of doing business. There was definitely a phase where it seemed like they were into internet libertarianism as you said.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Shitenshi posted:

Bezos has pretty much the same voice as Funnybot from way back. Makes sense given they're both sci-fi abominations.

That's also the second time we've heard a variation of 16 Tons in the series. Anybody else remember the other?

You dig 16 tons...whaddya get? Parents sell you to Par-is Hilton.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 8, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I'll believe it at the end of the two-parter. Pretty sure it's headed for a speech by Stan about "Sure, Jeff Bezos is an alien intent on turning everyone into a worker/consumer cog in his infinity machine, but also the union should stop being pussies and get back to work".

Well since they do shows week to week maybe that'll be their mood by then, but there's no hook for this in the first part.

The only silly thing is the strike/union leader being in a box and not being taken seriously while stating some old school labor talking points.

That said i don't think anything that's been said was actually mocking the content of what was being said by the strikers so i dunno

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Marxist Box 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

basic hitler posted:

PaybackJack posted:

Well I guess if you were pissed off by the PC babies jokes then "Lol Amazon treats it workers like poo poo" probably wasn't very funny either. I'm surprised there wasn't a Gritty cameo but maybe they're saving that for next week. The guy in the box was spot on though, he sounded exactly like the memes that an anticapitalist friend of mine posts on Facebook.

Overall, very strong episode.

It's the sign of a decent episode when two totally different opinions seem equally valid and everybody thinks South Park is on their side. There's not gonna be a clear message in the next episode, they'll probably just toss out another Crab People ending and nothing will be resolved and the truth will remain somewhere in the middle.

As a leftist though I'm firmly behind Vaguely Irish Guy and Marx-in-a-Box. gently caress Stotch, lousy scab :colbert:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I'm surprised that nobody else in this thread has noticed how this episode is basically a rendition of Billy Elliot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWtTtXBPW9s

...which is probably why they chose the 16 Tons song since it's also about a coal mine. And instead of a sweet little boy wanting to win the Bike Parade, it's about a sweet little boy wanting to be a successful ballet dancer.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 8, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

By coincidence, this could end up being their most topical episode ever: Amazon workers hospitalized after warehouse robot releases bear repellent

Literally immediately after the 16 tons montage, the second it ended, there was a knock on the door.

Amazon dropped off a package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Blazing Ownager posted:

Literally immediately after the 16 tons montage, the second it ended, there was a knock on the door.

Amazon dropped off a package.

Another copy of Mein Kampf?