Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

It not usual but I've occasionally seen that.

Same. Idk why they do it like that other than to not obscure whatevers on the other side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Covok posted:

What is this in reference to?

Terminator 2. When the T-1000 stabs Sarah Connor and tells her to call out to John.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

The Question IRL posted:

Terminator 2. When the T-1000 stabs Sarah Connor and tells her to call out to John.

Oh, I get it now.

Also, I just realized that Doomsday Clock #12 is going to come out in July of 2019. Man, is this event taking forever!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

Oh, I get it now.

Also, I just realized that Doomsday Clock #12 is going to come out in July of 2019. Man, is this event taking forever!

Seriously? What number are they up to?

Also, if you haven't seen Terminator 2, or it's been long enough that you didn't get the reference right away, you should (re)watch it immediately.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 6, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

Seriously? What number are they up to?

Also, if you haven't seen Terminator 2, or it's been long enough that you didn't get the reference right away, you should (re)watch it immediately.

They are up to issue number eight. It came out this week. That's what made me realize that it's not going to end until July, and that's assuming nothing happens. Which is really frustrating because it's becoming more and more apparent that nothing can move forward until this is over.

Also, I've actually never seen any of the Terminator movies. I was like -9 years old and it's hard to watch a movie when you're only an egg and you haven't even been fertilized yet and the sperm that would fertilize you doesn't exist yet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Never... seen... Terminator 2...

:psyboom:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Covok posted:

They are up to issue number eight. It came out this week. That's what made me realize that it's not going to end until July, and that's assuming nothing happens. Which is really frustrating because it's becoming more and more apparent that nothing can move forward until this is over.

Also, I've actually never seen any of the Terminator movies. I was like -9 years old and it's hard to watch a movie when you're only an egg and you haven't even been fertilized yet and the sperm that would fertilize you doesn't exist yet.

If only there was some device where you could watch motion pictures in your house, some sort of telecommunication device that worked with your vision?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

You're dead to me

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Me?? I'm not the one who hasn't seen terminator!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL I didn't catch that, thought it was a blunt statement.

We cool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's a 3 dollar rental on Amazon, 4 if you want HD. Or if you :filez: I'm sure you can find it in however high a resolution as you want, but I'm not going to tell anyone how to do that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just lol if you didn't buy t2 on vhs DVD and bluray immediately upon each release

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://wegotthiscovered.com/comicbooks/dc-confirms-batman-atheist/

So which do you think is closer? That DC doesn't know what the word 'Atheist' means, or that Batman's just dumb considering he literally just went through an event where a Dark God directly hosed with him and his family.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Covok posted:

You should still watch it because it's still amazing and the only truly perfect action film. Also, for a movie as old as it is they special effects still hold up really well in most places.

Onmi posted:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/comicbooks/dc-confirms-batman-atheist/

So which do you think is closer? That DC doesn't know what the word 'Atheist' means, or that Batman's just dumb considering he literally just went through an event where a Dark God directly hosed with him and his family.

I think it's more the Mr. Terrific thing where he recognizes they are incredibly powerful beings but doesn't worship or believe them to be divine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Batman being an Atheist* is dumb. But it is far less dumb than Mr. Terrific being an Atheist.

*= I suppose being an Atheist as opposed to an Agnostic makes more sense in a universe with super science where you can get definitive answers. But that's balanced out by the fact that Magic is a real thing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

site posted:

I know now why you cry. But it's something that I can never do.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Just lol if you didn't buy t2 on vhs DVD and bluray immediately upon each release

lol if you never bought/watched it on Laserdisc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

lol if you never bought/watched it on Laserdiscbetamax.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Look at this scrub that forgot Betamax was effectively dead three years before T2 was released.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hey i googled it first and there was apparently a betamax version of t2

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Other History Of The DC Universe has been cancelled (for now?)
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/06/dc-cancels-orders-john-ridley-other-history-of-the-dc-universe/
Continuing the concerning trend of futzing with very recently scheduled books (see JLO, Outsiders)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Batman being an Atheist* is dumb. But it is far less dumb than Mr. Terrific being an Atheist.

*= I suppose being an Atheist as opposed to an Agnostic makes more sense in a universe with super science where you can get definitive answers. But that's balanced out by the fact that Magic is a real thing.

I think it sorta depends on how you define Deities in regards to Atheism and Agnosticism. If you define deities as immutable and divine powers that are beyond human understanding or some such, then I can see Batman being a skeptic of such things given the DCU and his personality. But if deities are a more general thing where even he and Superman could be considered Gods in their own right, then Batman would be better categorized as non-religious.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Even madder is the fact that Terminator 2 was on the little know Digital VHS format.

There was a format of VHS tapes you could watch at 720P.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Batman being an Atheist in the sense of how the Christians see god actually works. As in that sense the new gods aren’t really gods in that context. From a more pagan sense the new gods make sense as pagan gods are basically just really powerful wizards.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Honestly having Christians in comics always weirded me out. Not just for the "Jesus rose from the dead" "...so?" aspect, but there's something uncanny about "oh hey Darkseid! I was just over here praying..."

Admittedly this is more of a Marvel problem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t see why Christians would care about Darkseid. He’s functionally no different from any super power being.

He calls himself a god but he can’t do any of the poo poo they view as godlike

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Batman has literally been in Hell and seen dead people there, in Day of Judgment at least, which has to be part of New 52/rebirth continuity because it's load-bearing on Hal Jordan's story.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe batman's like dana scully and has a perfectly reasonable explanation for that

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hell is just like, one of infinite dimensions man :350:

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm going to take this moment to remind everyone that the judeo Christian islamic God is confirmed to exist in the DC Universe and is referred to as the presence. I was just reading JLA by Grant Morrison so I just read the story where they fought the angels.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Batman being an Atheist in the sense of how the Christians see god actually works. As in that sense the new gods aren’t really gods in that context. From a more pagan sense the new gods make sense as pagan gods are basically just really powerful wizards.

But Batman is friends with people who call themselves Gods or regularly hang out with Gods.

For Batman to consider himself an Atheist (either the classic definition of someone who rejects a belief in any God, or the modern version which lacks belief/proof in any God) then he has to on some level consider Captain Marvel/ Wonder Woman and a whole bunch of New Gods to be delusional or just lacking in knowledge.

He's really saying that this 30 something billionaire from Gotham knows more about how the Universe works than the Woman who is thousands of years old and owes her life to being hand crafted from clay by Zeus.

It still beats Mr. Terrific's origin which is "sad man is told a story by the living embodiment of God's Vengence about ghosts, both good and bad."
And his take away from all of that is "Souls, the afterlife and God? All horseshit.
Wearing a leather jacket that says Fair Play? That's where it's at."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A rich white dude from a privileged background thinking he knows more about a subject than a woman with a lifetime of experience in it is pretty true to life.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I've always seen at as the same reason people don't worship Thor in Marvel (setting aside that yes there have been stories where people worshipped Thor, the vast majority of the public does not worship him): Jesus doesn't get his rear end kicked. I mean sure he's not around, but as far as gods go, you can believe that maybe there's an invisible force guiding the world and it has a blue dong way easier than you can believe that there are gods out there... but they just might all be dead next week depending on what crazy alien attacks roll through the universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jesus totally got his rear end kicked tho

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

site posted:

Jesus totally got his rear end kicked tho

Not that anyone saw, but Thor gets the poo poo kicked out of him on the reg. Hell he got cloned, and his power is easily transferable. He's a disposable entity. And the main worship base of his pantheon just gave up on it centuries ago because they were boring and useless.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Marvel's kinda funny in that it has a lot of superpowered beings that are claimed as gods in that magic is just science we dont understand yet kinda way, but it also arguably does have BigG Gods because it has entities that are manifestations of aspects of the multi/universe like Eternity and The Grand Tribunal and KirbyGod, but since no one outside of a small few know of their existence they arent worshipped by anyone

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Marvel's kinda funny in that it has a lot of superpowered beings that are claimed as gods in that magic is just science we dont understand yet kinda way, but it also arguably does have BigG Gods because it has entities that are manifestations of aspects of the multi/universe like Eternity and The Grand Tribunal and KirbyGod, but since no one outside of a small few know of their existence they arent worshipped by anyone

it's not like worshipping Eternity or The Living Tribunal would actually do you any good.

Also, unless the changed it, The Living Tribunal is dead.

I feel like I read something where Reed Richards was an atheist, after the Mark Wade run where he literally goes to Heaven and meets God.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

That was back way before Secret Wars. He's appeared in a few things since thing. Most notably Ultimates2 from Al Ewing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

it's not like worshipping Eternity or The Living Tribunal would actually do you any good.

I feel like I read something where Reed Richards was an atheist, after the Mark Wade run where he literally goes to Heaven and meets God.

It was in Matt Fraction's Fantastic Four, in the tie-in to Age of Ultron. Like everything even slightly related to Age of Ultron, it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

You could say the same thing about worshipping Yahweh heyooo :downsrim: