Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

At least the e30 ix got a rear lsd

viscous lsd lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:negative:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I saw the e39 again and it starts but it has a slight tic.

Gonna take it to my dad's mechanic and see if it's worth the $500.

The alternator on this motor is the size of my head wtf why do Germans always have to make things huge for the sake of it lol

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Check the oil, M54s love to lifter tick with sustained cornering, when the oil thins out if you run them too long on a change, or when you get a couple quarts low.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

Check the oil, M54s love to lifter tick with sustained cornering, when the oil thins out if you run them too long on a change, or when you get a couple quarts low.

Yeah it has also been sitting for the past few months. We had to get a loving truck to jump the drat thing because my honda and the owners V6 mustang wouldn't do it.

The owner also told me that the car randomly shut off while he was backing it out of the garage like the engine didn't stall it was as if the battery was disconnected. Is this a common electrical issue? Do you think it just need a new battery or some new terminals?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, throw a battery from Walmart in it, worst case you return it within 90 days.
Connect a volt meter to the car (or obd plug) and drive it around to see if the alt is charging (it probably is).

Ticking will probably go away after a little bit of driving

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, throw a battery from Walmart in it, worst case you return it within 90 days.
Connect a volt meter to the car (or obd plug) and drive it around to see if the alt is charging (it probably is).

Ticking will probably go away after a little bit of driving

I still haven't bought it yet actually lol.

I'm picking it up this weekend.

I'll actually post some pictures of the interior too because it's shockingly hosed. Like Junkyard car hosed but everything else seems more or less mint.

But yeah I'll replace the battery and let you guys know if the car winds up shutting itself off randomly.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 3, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Time to find some oldschool recaros with a rad pattern

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BlackMK4 posted:

Time to find some oldschool recaros with a rad pattern

Oldschool *recaro - the passenger seat can stay lol

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

The owner also told me that the car randomly shut off while he was backing it out of the garage like the engine didn't stall it was as if the battery was disconnected. Is this a common electrical issue? Do you think it just need a new battery or some new terminals?

E46's have a weird power cable where the positive has a small charge in it that disconnects the power to the engine (but the dash etc all work) in the event of a crash. At least the ones with the battery in the trunk do. If it's gone off, the solution is to push the cable together, tape it up with some electrical tape, and go on your merry way. I discovered this feature when leaving a fast food place and the car wouldn't even click over, but the battery seemed fine. The hold down was a smidge loose and the battery had moved just enough to disconnect.

https://5series.net/forums/attachments/diy-do-yourself-14/142688d1379257813-battery-safety-terminal-bypass-bstrepair.jpg

If the dash was still on this was probably the issue. Looks like it's present on e39's too.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

TrueChaos posted:

E46's have a weird power cable where the positive has a small charge in it that disconnects the power to the engine (but the dash etc all work) in the event of a crash. At least the ones with the battery in the trunk do. If it's gone off, the solution is to push the cable together, tape it up with some electrical tape, and go on your merry way. I discovered this feature when leaving a fast food place and the car wouldn't even click over, but the battery seemed fine. The hold down was a smidge loose and the battery had moved just enough to disconnect.

https://5series.net/forums/attachments/diy-do-yourself-14/142688d1379257813-battery-safety-terminal-bypass-bstrepair.jpg

If the dash was still on this was probably the issue. Looks like it's present on e39's too.

Thanks for the tip! I'll for take a look at it. I'm not sure if the dash turned off when it stopped on my buddy.

I'll just bring a roll of electrical tape when I uber up there to pick up the car this weekend and hope for the best lol.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/2004-bmw-m3/6758407596.html

I'm going to guess this won't last real long unless the RACP is hella cracked or it is rusty af.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 5, 2018

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Current e46 status: a few weeks after I'd cleared my list of fixit to-do's, my pax airbag light is back on and my vanos oil line is leaking.

e: oh and some screw or trim tab has dislodged itself in my door panel and I can hear it rolling around whenever I take a corner

e2: lord help me there are days I honestly think about buying a toyota

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 5, 2018

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Found a deal on a Dinan free flow exhaust for the e46 that I may be picking up this week. Anyone know if I'll need the stage 2 Dinan software? I have stage 1 already and Dinan recommends stage 2 but just wanna make sure it'll be fine for awhile without it if I can't get an upgrade done right away.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think there are better options than Dinan for canned tunes these days, anyway (RK Tunes, for one)
We aren't in the dark ages of the E46 ECUs being black boxes for everyone other than Dinan and a few people in eastern Europe anymore

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'll look around then, I just wanted to be sure the car would run fine without a tune for a time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah you'll be fine for a naturally aspirated car

if you were throwing a DP on a modern turbo car w/o a tune you might have a bad time

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sigh wish i could rationalize buying this

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/d/1990-bmw-e30-325i-technic/6763837871.html

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Got the F31 330D back from M Performance Power Kit install today. Not being an M sport I had to upgrade the brakes as well. Pardon dirty rear end wheels but it's the winter season here.

And they even updated the scale on the gauges (which I think are not all that useful/accurate):

Overall the car just feels a bit "more". Definitely shifts quicker in sport/sport+ mode (DSG-like at this point), has noticeably more mid range oooomph, and pulls a bit harder on the top end. Not the most bang for the buck but it'll retain the warranty and I got bigger brakes+IC. Loving this drat car so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

If it were a manual you'd be on the way with cash

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BlackMK4 posted:

If it were a manual you'd be on the way with cash

That's the only rationalization for not buying it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-alpina-b3/

:vince:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That was up on the auction block like last month, I remember seeing it. you can probably find what it sold for through JCD

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I still don't have my M2.

Boats are really god drat slow

Also all my money is worth less money now so I'm getting ice cold feet

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I still don't have my M2.

Boats are really god drat slow

Also all my money is worth less money now so I'm getting ice cold feet

Please tell us you bought a M2 backed by crypto.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Best twist yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait to see him post about how the IRS seized his M2 because he didn't realize that he had to report the profit from selling his buttcoins.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's impossible for me to sell my bitcoins for a profit!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hi, the DMV? I would like to pay my state sales tax and licensing fee using the future value of my speculated Zimbabwe Dollars,

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The shot glass contains isopropyl, not ethyl, sadly.

Sooo much better. I'll install it in the morning.

The M54B30 apparently has a 3.0L-specific DISA valve; the 325 and below all use a slightly smaller flapper

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 9, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Can anyone recommend me a BMW? I'm going to need a daily driver soon and can't decide whether I want a GTI/Golf R or something with RWD. If I go with the BMW, I can't decide whether I'd want a 335is, E92 M3, 135, 228, 235/240, etc. I just need a 6-speed and enough room to carry me, my wife, and potentially a car seat in a year or two. Budget is 30kish.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 9, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do you have lots of money for maintenance? If you don't already have a specific BMW you are enamored with, I wouldn't get one. There have been several times where, if I didn't absolutely love my car, I would throw it in the loving trash and get a Honda.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Well the DISA valve was deeeeefinitely an intake leak. Smooth acceleration has been restored, but I think I’ll still have a look into replacing the manifold and doing the Crankcase ventilation circuit soon. The belt tensioner is also sounding kinda rattle-y, so that’s now on the agenda too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cojawfee posted:

Do you have lots of money for maintenance? If you don't already have a specific BMW you are enamored with, I wouldn't get one. There have been several times where, if I didn't absolutely love my car, I would throw it in the loving trash and get a Honda.

I can afford the maintenance. There's a part of me that has always been enamored with the idea of an E90 M3 as a DD, but the rod bearing issues scare me, and I'm not sure whether it just makes more sense to get something more recent as the DD. The current plan is to get a DD (whatever that may be) + another sports car as the fun car.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Can anyone recommend me a BMW? I'm going to need a daily driver soon and can't decide whether I want a GTI/Golf R or something with RWD. If I go with the BMW, I can't decide whether I'd want a 335is, E92 M3, 135, 228, 235/240, etc. I just need a 6-speed and enough room to carry me, my wife, and potentially a car seat in a year or two. Budget is 30kish.

If you want to keep the car when the baby comes, you'll want 4-doors and nothing smaller than an E90. Modern infant carriers take a shitload of space in the back seat and will render the seat in front of them unusable in something the size of a 1 or 2 series. Also, while you can get the baby into the back of a coupe, it will get tiresome very fast. I had an E46 'vert until baby #2 and found the easiest way to get the kid in the car was to drop the top and load from above. The F80 is so much easier, purely on account of the rear doors.

You could also get the fun car now and just accept that you'll trade it in when it's time for kids.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

E92 M3 is the clear winner, you should be able to find something p. deece in that range but you can probably get a really nice one if you are willing to stretch to $35 or so. Somewhat Heroic is likely to know more about prices than I do!

I'll have owned it 4 years this Jan, and overall maintenance is something like $720 a year and that includes two oil changes per and so far, one battery change shortly after I bought it. Nothing else needed doing yet besides routine servicing (but it does only have 32k miles at this point despite being my daily).

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Found out that, yes, the crank position sensor in the 540 is bad :thumbsup:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SlapActionJackson posted:

If you want to keep the car when the baby comes, you'll want 4-doors and nothing smaller than an E90. Modern infant carriers take a shitload of space in the back seat and will render the seat in front of them unusable in something the size of a 1 or 2 series. Also, while you can get the baby into the back of a coupe, it will get tiresome very fast. I had an E46 'vert until baby #2 and found the easiest way to get the kid in the car was to drop the top and load from above. The F80 is so much easier, purely on account of the rear doors.

You could also get the fun car now and just accept that you'll trade it in when it's time for kids.

Blah, this is kind of what worries me. Right now it's only me, the wife, and dog, but at some point we'll have kids in the next few years. My wife has an SUV which we'll use as the primary car for transportation, but I'm sure I'll have to do it as well.

Ether Frenzy posted:

E92 M3 is the clear winner, you should be able to find something p. deece in that range but you can probably get a really nice one if you are willing to stretch to $35 or so. Somewhat Heroic is likely to know more about prices than I do!

I'll have owned it 4 years this Jan, and overall maintenance is something like $720 a year and that includes two oil changes per and so far, one battery change shortly after I bought it. Nothing else needed doing yet besides routine servicing (but it does only have 32k miles at this point despite being my daily).

Ever try to fit a car seat in the back of the E92?

The only other thing that's holding me back from the E92 is that it seems like such a waste for a daily driver. Commuting in my Cayman seemed silly, knowing how little of the car's performance I was using anywhere except the track. I told myself for the DD I'd get something cheap-ish that doesn't draw too much attention to itself, and save the "fun" car for weekend, backroad, and track duties.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The answer is clear -- E61.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I haven't tried putting a baby thing back there and I don't know that it'd be "easy" but it does have more ease of access than a Cayman for sure; it's got the mounting points on the back seats so it's obviously considered doable/safe.

I'm 6'1" and can climb back there fairly easily, the highest part of the roof is right where you'd be sticking the car seat/your head.

It's a pretty fun daily driver. Granted, my daily takes about half an hour and includes driving on Mulholland for a couple miles, but it's considerably well behaved when you just need to trundle along going up a canyon road in traffic and very nice when you have an open road in front of you and you thumb that M button to see if you can get the guy driving a Jetta with a muffler on it behind you to understeer himself into choosing a more sensible pace.

Freeway entrance ramps are made a lot more entertaining as well for breaking up the routine monotony of any commute/regular drive. I don't think I could go back to a 'normal' car going forward as my main car, I can't imagine anything less is going to match up to your Cayman feelings either.