Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Dirty posted:

Looking forward to seeing reactions to the rest of season 3 since it contains possibly my all-time favourite "holy poo poo" ending to a season. It's not even really a cliffhanger, it's just a "yup, everything just went to poo poo" ending.

Finished season 3. Have a big ol’ block of spoiler text; I want to speak freely without disrupting anyone else who’s still watching.

So I guess here is the morally grey area alluded to earlier. Taking them at their word, the Shadows want to uplift the younger races and make them stronger by pitting them against each other. The Vorlons are sticks in the mud who want to play it safe and slow.* I was glad for this explanation because up until now their motivations seemed pretty opaque. It was not clear at all what they possibly stood to gain from the Centauri by supporting them.

So the question Sheridan is presented with is “is it worth it to cause mass strife and suffering if it’s for the betterment of all?” This is tough to swallow and I don’t think it was presented very sympathetically. I didn’t feel like I was supposed to seriously entertain the thought that the two sides are equally valid. Sheridan certainly didn’t.

By human measures of morality, the Shadows are clearly wrong.** They attack random civilians across the galaxy. They install prisoners in their ships as organic software. They enable the Centauri to obliterate the Narn homeworld and create death camps. The only way that these could possibly be justified is from a non-human perspective. And since science fiction is only able to make us think and present meaningful dilemmas inasmuch as we can put them in terms we can relate to, the only way I can relate to that perspective is by putting it in terms of a god. Pick whatever deity(ies) you prefer, provided they have a capacity for knowledge and action beyond human potential.

In other words, Sheridan’s question becomes “is it worth it for God to create mass strife and suffering if it’s for the betterment of humanity?” (I guess I should not be surprised that a show that has been more about religion than any other science fiction show I can think of would end up tackling the problem of evil.)

I think that the answer to that question is yes—provided that you have full faith in said god, an absolute trust in their plan, however inscrutable and ineffable it may be. If you fully believe that God knows more than you could possibly ever know, and has the purest and best intentions for you, then you should trust the grand plan even if it hurts and you don’t understand it. Otherwise how can you say you have faith?

But I don’t have that faith, personally. Not with a god in the real world and not with the Shadows in this fiction. So I’m totally on board with Sheridan rejecting that plan.

*No mention of any other old races that stuck around; in fact Morden explicitly says there were only two. But we have seen the ones that Sinclair’s girlfriend and later Ivanova encountered, so this already makes the Shadows unreliable.

**But continuing to take them at their word, the Vorlons aren’t perfect either. Adding telepathy to the human genome is very much relevant to this week’s news of a scientist who altered the genes of some newborns, and that’s a whole different conversation about consent and eugenics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Man, you're gonna love season 4.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

wizzardstaff posted:

spoiler block

Not to mention the Vorlons' habit of genetically engineering the species they visit to view them as literal Angels outside of their encounter suits. And other shifty stuff they've done up to that point in the series, like destroying that immortality cure in season 1.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

/\/\/\ To be fair, Kosh was right about that one. But there's plenty of other examples, like telling Sinclair to just take his hands off the wheel and let the Centauri and Narn destroy each other.

hope and vaseline posted:

Also has my favorite G'Kar monologue in the series.

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCPsR_KTL4

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 1, 2018

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Also, I think the end of season 3 marks the passage of all the various things I’ve been spoiled on, except maybe the knowledge that a few more cast members come and go. I am looking forward to two seasons of completely unexpected developments.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

McSpanky posted:

/\/\/\ To be fair, Kosh was right about that one. But there's plenty of other examples, like telling Sinclair to just take his hands off the wheel and let the Centauri and Narn destroy each other.

:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCPsR_KTL4

I like that delenn is embodying the minbari motto at the beginning there

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Not to mention the Vorlons' habit of genetically engineering the species they visit to view them as literal Angels outside of their encounter suits. And other shifty stuff they've done up to that point in the series, like destroying that immortality cure in season 1.

The Vorlons as a whole seem like their entire set up to convince the younger races to trust them became an own goal.

All that work developing telepaths that for Earth at least got co-opted by the shadows. Then the reveal that they make themselves look like angels, so after the surprise wore off its was then "Hey wait theyve been manipulating our society for 1000s of years" and finally the moment they decide to finally get involved they go with planetary genocide and somehow think it'll be fine.

The rules of the Vorlons/Shadows conflict never made sense either. So the shadows starting openly killing a bunch of races, but the second the Vorlons retaliate they assassinate a diplomat? Then its back to non-interference until their planet killers are ready.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

pentyne posted:

The rules of the Vorlons/Shadows conflict never made sense either. So the shadows starting openly killing a bunch of races, but the second the Vorlons retaliate they assassinate a diplomat? Then its back to non-interference until their planet killers are ready.

The main rule I think was that as elder races, they leave each other alone direcly. However, the Shadows' philosophy of strength through chaos never prevented them from openly attacking the younger races to force them to respond. The Vorlons' philosophy of strength through order put themselves in a sort of non-interference model, but they got through with the loophole by seeding the younger races with ways to respond to the Shadows, via telepaths. It's almost like a secretive arms-race they were supplying them with.

Openly engaging a shadow fleet was taboo because both races never actually engaged each other prior to that, and then all the rules went out the window.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m not quite done with season three, but does Londo get a single, much more prominent age spot above his right eye when het gets the black jacket in season two? It’s been driving me crazy, and I swear it’s not there in season one. And I know it’s the prosthetic and not Jurasik’s face, because I looked up an old auction where he signed a bunch of old ones to give away or something, and it’s on all of them.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

wizzardstaff posted:

Finished season 3. Have a big ol’ block of spoiler text; I want to speak freely without disrupting anyone else who’s still watching.

I didn’t feel like I was supposed to seriously entertain the thought that the two sides are equally valid. Sheridan certainly didn’t.

JMS has said that feedback has people falling into each camp, regarding the other as a silly choice; I think it achieved what it set out to do really well.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

So I guess here is the morally grey area alluded to earlier.

[not really a spoiler but spoiler tagged anyway cuz its starting to get near that line] Its not so much anything really being 'morally grey', but more the specific line you used ("maybe they're doing the wrong thing for the right reasons") having some relevance at the end of season 4

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

JMS has said that feedback has people falling into each camp, regarding the other as a silly choice; I think it achieved what it set out to do really well.

Non-spoilery reply, yes. Exactly.

I remember following along on the Lurker boards on Usenet and JMS saying that he guessed that once the real motivations were revealed, about 30% of the fan base would agree with the shadows. Everyone said "NO! that will never happen! nobody would!"

And then after the season 3 finale, about 30% of the fan base said, "you know what? They're right.". :haw:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by that, there are also people who think Thanos was right. I’d like to believe they’re just being ironic edgy contrarians, but then again there are plenty of people who flat-out support eugenics and imperialism.

All I know is my big spoiler block felt like a lot of :words: to say “genocide is bad”.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The main rule I think was that as elder races, they leave each other alone direcly. However, the Shadows' philosophy of strength through chaos never prevented them from openly attacking the younger races to force them to respond. The Vorlons' philosophy of strength through order put themselves in a sort of non-interference model, but they got through with the loophole by seeding the younger races with ways to respond to the Shadows, via telepaths. It's almost like a secretive arms-race they were supplying them with.

Openly engaging a shadow fleet was taboo because both races never actually engaged each other prior to that, and then all the rules went out the window.

I do like how the Vorlons weren't just consummate good guys. They used the younger races as pawns and didn't give a poo poo about them at all.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 2, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished the one where Michael York was King Arthur. I’m surprised nobody suggested that he go hook up with the construction guy from season one who went off looking for the holy grail.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Doctor Zero posted:

Non-spoilery reply, yes. Exactly.

I remember following along on the Lurker boards on Usenet and JMS saying that he guessed that once the real motivations were revealed, about 30% of the fan base would agree with the shadows. Everyone said "NO! that will never happen! nobody would!"

And then after the season 3 finale, about 30% of the fan base said, "you know what? They're right.". :haw:

I don't want either but if i had to choose I'd go with Shadows. The Vorlons are all about obedience, the Shadows are just "gently caress each other up".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

LongDarkNight posted:

I don't want either but if i had to choose I'd go with Shadows. The Vorlons are all about obedience, the Shadows are just "gently caress each other up".

The Shadows are about greifing and kicking over sandcastles. The Vorlons are carebears and all about building them. In typical MMO fashion, the Shadows pitch a fit when someone actually challenges them in PVP...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't like the methods the Shadows used but their ideology has its merits.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I take the third edge and tell both of them to gently caress off beyond the rim.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Bieeanshee posted:

I take the third edge and tell both of them to gently caress off beyond the rim.

^^^

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

dreadmojo posted:

refresh my memory? it's been a while

What Jedit said, but also Sherdian shoving a nuke in Z'Ha'Dum's pie hole was ultra satisfying and very dramatic.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I wasn't expecting the alien execution device to actually be relevant outside its episode :stare:.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ThingOne posted:

I wasn't expecting the alien execution device to actually be relevant outside its episode :stare:.

Have you not yet learned that B5 has very few throwaway lines and unused Chekov's guns?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have you not yet learned that B5 has very few throwaway lines and unused Chekov's guns?

It's been years since I watched the show and I didn't catch all of it so I'm going in almost fresh. I like how quickly they've made it clear that the Minbari are nowhere near as above it all as they pretend to be. The war was apparently more of a slaughter, yet Sheridan hits them back once and they won't shut up about it. It didn't even matter in the grand scheme of things.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Delenn should probably get some cream for that :stonk:.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
So I recently started my first rewatch of Babylon 5, about twelve years after I saw it for the first time. Due to Stellaris and having gone on a binge through some old sci-fi books(Dune, Foundation, Hitchhiker's Guide) as of late, I decided that it was about time to pick it up again, and trying to average about one episode per day. Saw 'Believers' last night, and I still remember that this episode was what really put Babylon 5 on the map for me and made it clear that this wasn't a Star Trek rip-off.

Now, I really enjoy going through the Lurker's Guide after watching an episode, but I have to admit that I've found it a bit difficult to read on my mobile or tablet. So I decided to create a simple web app that would let me read through the contents more easily on a smaller screen AND give me the option to keep track of what episodes I've seen. This wasn't all that hard, to be honest, because the owners have been gracious enough to put the entire source code online. It was basically just reading out their files and transforming it to a format I could use.

It's available at https://lurkers-guide.netlify.com if anyone else is interested.

One thing I would like to note is that this is a PWA(Persistent Web App), meaning that for most modern Android and iOS devices, you can save the web page to your home screen. This will download the site to your device, will hide the URL bar if you click on it(giving the impression of it being a normal app), and will make it available at all times, even if you're offline. On each episode page, there is a toggle in the header which you can use to indicate what episodes you've already seen.

It's the first time that I've built something as a PWA, so it was a good learning exercise as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Baron von der Loon posted:

So I recently started my first rewatch of Babylon 5, about twelve years after I saw it for the first time. Due to Stellaris and having gone on a binge through some old sci-fi books(Dune, Foundation, Hitchhiker's Guide) as of late, I decided that it was about time to pick it up again, and trying to average about one episode per day. Saw 'Believers' last night, and I still remember that this episode was what really put Babylon 5 on the map for me and made it clear that this wasn't a Star Trek rip-off.

Now, I really enjoy going through the Lurker's Guide after watching an episode, but I have to admit that I've found it a bit difficult to read on my mobile or tablet. So I decided to create a simple web app that would let me read through the contents more easily on a smaller screen AND give me the option to keep track of what episodes I've seen. This wasn't all that hard, to be honest, because the owners have been gracious enough to put the entire source code online. It was basically just reading out their files and transforming it to a format I could use.

It's available at https://lurkers-guide.netlify.com if anyone else is interested.

One thing I would like to note is that this is a PWA(Persistent Web App), meaning that for most modern Android and iOS devices, you can save the web page to your home screen. This will download the site to your device, will hide the URL bar if you click on it(giving the impression of it being a normal app), and will make it available at all times, even if you're offline. On each episode page, there is a toggle in the header which you can use to indicate what episodes you've already seen.

It's the first time that I've built something as a PWA, so it was a good learning exercise as well.

How neat! Nice work, looking forward to diving back into this.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Thus is great, thanks!

I had come across the lurker’s guide before but kind of bounced off it due to readability issues. Now I’m going through your treatment and looking up notes from episodes across the series.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You're going to have to explain how this works. It's just a web page in my browser.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Jedit posted:

You're going to have to explain how this works. It's just a web page in my browser.

Basically, a popup should appear at the bottom upon visiting the page automatically. I was playing around with the web page a few minutes ago and might have briefly broken it. You can try to close your browser, open it again, and then go to the webpage again.

If the popup does not appear, then you can also do it manually by going to the settings menu in the upper-right, and click on 'Add to Home Screen'.

If you're on iOS, then you have to press the 'Share button', and then 'Add to Home Screen'. I only briefly tried it out on my test device yesterday, and it seemed to work as advertised.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basically, a popup should appear at the bottom upon visiting the page automatically. I was playing around with the web page a few minutes ago and might have briefly broken it. You can try to close your browser, open it again, and then go to the webpage again.

If the popup does not appear, then you can also do it manually by going to the settings menu in the upper-right, and click on 'Add to Home Screen'.

If you're on iOS, then you have to press the 'Share button', and then 'Add to Home Screen'. I only briefly tried it out on my test device yesterday, and it seemed to work as advertised.

Nope, sorry. No pop-up, no settings menu. Working on Android.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I may be explaining it wrong. Maybe the instructions on this page can help?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

McSpanky posted:

Man, you're gonna love season 4.

I am five episodes in and so far you are very correct.

e: I posted too soon, clearly “Into the Fire” was the better place to jump back in here. The JMS note in the lurker’s guide (thanks again for making that more accessible) says very accurately that this is the kind of episode you’d put at the end of a season, not six episodes in.

But those six episodes really pack in a lot. I look back up at my reaction to the season 3 finale at the top of the page and I see how much I didn’t know. I don’t think any new information changes my answer, but it sure changes the context of the question.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 6, 2018

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Into the Fire is great for multiple reasons, not the least being a notable phrase of get the hell out of our galaxy

Now the fun ride really begins!

Also, :byewhore: for Meeester Morrrrrrden

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm just gonna leave this here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

:gizz:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You know what, I'm going to say it: going full screen on my work monitor, that's still not much of an improvement over what we have on the DVDs other than the framing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I've never seen the DVDs but it looks hella better than the Amazon streaming. Then again I'm streaming over a 3G phone so maybe it's not that great for anyone else :shrug:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
It looks like what I remember from the DVDs, but I wouldn't be surprised if my memory is ignoring fuzz/blur/general-low-res-woes and focusing instead on composition, lighting, etc.—the stuff that wouldn't be affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Really the best improvements imo would be the live action/cgi composite scenes that look noticeable horrible when it cuts back and forth from the widescreen live action shots