Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

i had the "this truck stops at uncontrolled crossings" sticker on the back which meant i had to and did, yet all the dudes hauling bottles of natural gas out of there never did.
Hint: The train gives zero fucks what you're hauling, it always wins.

Platystemon posted:

Drive through these at ramming speed to minimise the exposure of your flank to the train, IMO.
Also this. Once the cab's past, gently caress the cargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Hint: The train gives zero fucks what you're hauling, it always wins.

Yeah, but here, using a trailer that *sometimes* hauls dangers goods means you always have to stop at uncontrolled crossings like you are.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Door Frame posted:

E: in Illinois, all buses and vehicles transporting hazardous materials must stop and perform a visual inspection at every rail crossing, because the gates do malfunction and the train will never be at fault for hitting you

Same in Texas.

Once I saw a railroad signal not working right -- the lights and bells were going, but the bars didn't come down, no train in sight -- and called the phone number on the sign. UP had a crew out to fix it within the hour on a Sunday. :unsmith:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The train in question is in Utah. Almost the entire length of track outside of downtown SLC is owned/operated by Union Pacific, and UTA leases use for the Frontrunner passenger train. The areas where roads cross the tracks like that have a speed limit of something like 35-45 for the trains (they get up to 65 or something on the longer stretches).

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've already posted these in the YLLS bicycle thread but I figured some of you might get a kick out of them. We were investigating a mystery puncture on my partner's bicycle and noticed the rim tape was pulled out of position under the tube. Got the old rim tape off and.... :staredog:

As you can this is well on the way to becoming a DIY split rim, this crack runs circumferentially around 3/4 of the entire wheel. There's chunks missing in a few spots and you can see where it's been flexing and taken a bite out of the red rim tape in the 2nd pic.

My only guess as to how this happened is there was a tiny crack there from drilling one of the holes in, and it's just been propogating around and around. I am impressed it's crossed so many holes though, and that the rim hasn't blown apart whilst topping the tyres up. :gonk:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I didn't know split-rim bicycle wheels were a thing :stonk:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

In situations where a crossing is malfunctioning the railroad is required to flag the crossing (have a dude on foot stop traffic) when a train passes. This could be a situation where the railroad hadn't been notified yet, because if they had the train should have stopped for the crossing so the conductor could flag it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Also this. Once the cab's past, gently caress the cargo.
That depends heavily on the cargo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

In situations where a crossing is malfunctioning the railroad is required to flag the crossing (have a dude on foot stop traffic) when a train passes. This could be a situation where the railroad hadn't been notified yet, because if they had the train should have stopped for the crossing so the conductor could flag it.

Around in these here parts if the RR did that it would be a $25 fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Tried to help a friend who couldn’t get his brakes bled. He has just replaced the stick front calipers on his Silverado. He was doing it manually with help, and they’d feel fine and fail on a test drive. Repeated 5 times. I guessed that perhaps an air bubble was all the way back in the abs unit, so he found out how to bleed that and did it a few more times.

It took a couple of days before I got a conclusion to this story. He had swapped the left and right calipers making a bleed impossible. I recommended doing one side at a time next time and always compare parts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So I would assume one of the nipples would point down?

Sounds like quite a bar I visited a few times.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

StormDrain posted:

Tried to help a friend who couldn’t get his brakes bled. He has just replaced the stick front calipers on his Silverado. He was doing it manually with help, and they’d feel fine and fail on a test drive. Repeated 5 times. I guessed that perhaps an air bubble was all the way back in the abs unit, so he found out how to bleed that and did it a few more times.

It took a couple of days before I got a conclusion to this story. He had swapped the left and right calipers making a bleed impossible. I recommended doing one side at a time next time and always compare parts.

Oh poo poo!!. Like how did that even work? The bleed screws would have been on the bottom wouldn't they?

I've heard of the poor man's way to bleed the ABS unit is to go for a drive** and try to lock up the brakes a bunch of times. I've never tried it myself, and supposedly its only necessary, if you run the system dry.

**works best in winter, during slippery conditions.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Or a gravel road.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

So I would assume one of the nipples would point down?

Sounds like quite a bar I visited a few times.

Since he swapped them, both were down and a persistent bubble of air was above them.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://i.imgur.com/XP0aTJ1.gifv

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

please someone, explain this madness to me.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Professor of Cats posted:

Don't you realize how much the middle of a drive shaft is worth? Not the ends, with all the moving parts and needle bearings and whatnot, just the middle. Enough to saw it off a truck carrying dry hay at a gas station.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

El Jebus posted:

Don't you realize how much the middle of a drive shaft is worth? Not the ends, with all the moving parts and needle bearings and whatnot, just the middle. Enough to saw it off a truck carrying dry hay at a gas station.

Good lord, you make the whole thing sound like a bad idea.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

El Jebus posted:

Driveshaft? That far under the trailer? And it looks like it's being... towed backwards or something? I have so many questions. :psyduck:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

No Earth shattering ka-boom?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No boom today, boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

El Jebus posted:

I don't think you understand how semi trucks work....

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

El Jebus posted:

I don't know how much they're worth, or how they work apparently, since I've never seen a trailer with a driveshaft before.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
... I was just trying to be funny. I’m sorry.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

El Jebus posted:

... I was just trying to be funny. I’m sorry.

You know the rules. Every detail of your joke has to be unimpeachable and correct.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I've seen one trailer welded on while it was still loaded and it ended up a total loss for everything on it. My main concern was the fuel pumps.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Professor of Cats posted:

It seems to take a special kind of person to agree to oxy-fuel cutting a loaded hay trailer at a gas station. Standing underneath the load that is supported by the thing you're cutting with fire next to something that catches fire next to something that explodes when fire gets near it.

Like, if you do your job 100% perfectly, you're going to be crushed by a two-ton roll of hay, then set on fire, then the whole area is going to catch fire. If you don't do your job right, the order of things changes somewhat.

I suspect drugs are involved.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

StormDrain posted:

Since he swapped them, both were down and a persistent bubble of air was above them.

Reminds me of BMW trans slave cylinders. The bleeder is upside down from the factory so you can actually access it. For the final step of the bleed you have to unbolt it, flip it upside down and depress the plunger with the bleed open. First time I did this I didn't double check that the slave rod was in the clutch fork on reinstall. It made a nice popping noise when I pushed the clutch in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A student set one of the bandsaws on fire today by

(1) trying to cut through like a 9" tall block of MDF, creating immense friction and a ton of sawdust
(2) pushing so hard (because it wasn't cutting fast enough) that the blade wore through the rear guide's nylon block, started running on metal, and shot sparks down into the pile of sawdust

I was on the other side of the shop and was like "what smells like burning" and looked back and saw a glow coming from under the bandsaw's table. :shepface:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, the sign said no smoking, nothing about cutting with the hot wrench.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

(1) trying to cut through like a 9" tall block of MDF, creating immense friction and a ton of sawdust
(2) pushing so hard (because it wasn't cutting fast enough) that the blade wore through the rear guide's nylon block, started running on metal, and shot sparks down into the pile of sawdust

Wore through or melted?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, maybe both. TBH I don't know what material is on the surface of the guide; it feels like glass-filled nylon but it could also be some type of ceramic, I suppose. In any case it has a groove worn into it now and the blade sparks if you put any forwards pressure on it.

I could easily fill the thread up with dumbshit little things I witness on a daily basis. A few months ago a student ruined one of our drill press chucks by attempting to drill a hole through a piece of plywood with no bit installed. Just tightened the chuck closed all the way and smashed the pointy-looking part into the wood over and over. Earlier this week someone's layup of foam blocks blew apart on the lathe and flew across the shop because they were holding the blocks together with masking tape. Before Thanksgiving a student got a nasty laceration on their hand because they tried to drill a hole in a piece of sheet metal while holding it down with their palm. The list just goes on and on.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 7, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, maybe both. TBH I don't know what material is on the surface of the guide; it feels like glass-filled nylon but it could also be some type of ceramic, I suppose. In any case it has a groove worn into it now and the blade sparks if you put any forwards pressure on it.

I could easily fill the thread up with dumbshit little things I witness on a daily basis. A few months ago a student ruined one of our drill press chucks by attempting to drill a hole through a piece of plywood with no bit installed. Just tightened the chuck closed all the way and smashed the pointy-looking part into the wood over and over. Earlier this week someone's layup of foam blocks blew apart on the lathe and flew across the shop because they were holding the blocks together with masking tape. Before Thanksgiving a student got a nasty laceration on their hand because they tried to drill a hole in a piece of sheet metal while holding it down with their palm. The list just goes on and on.

Please go on, you must drink heavily at night. But yeah that last one is a big big big big no-no. Geesus. Our shop teacher said (and of course this was like 1990) he would literally kick our rear end if he spotted that.

Chuckling on the lack of of the drill bit.

edit: And one extra question, how do you grade that poo poo? I mean I've only taught a few classes at a community college and literally I told them you show up you will not fail. But a few exceeded even my super-low expectations.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 7, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Colostomy Bag posted:

Please go on, you must drink heavily at night.

Not yet, fortunately, but I've definitely become a lot more of a hardass about safety over the years. My big frustration right now is that everyone's got those wireless earpods so it's way harder to tell if they've got headphones in (not allowed in the shop) than it used to be.

Here's another one: we have a SawStop table saw and a trophy wall of disabled blades jammed into the brake cartridges (three so far). Two are from students being dummies about the material; the touch-detection is electrical, so anything conductive will set it off, and those two were a piece of mirrored acrylic and a chunk of wet wood straight out of the steam box (??why??). The third one actually represents a saved finger. I wasn't there to see the incident but I had to fill out the report. That particular student had decided, for whatever reason, that the proper way to use the table saw was to reach across it to the back of the machine and pull the work towards yourself. In order to do that, he had to remove (1) the blade guard, (2) the riving knife, and (3) the kickback preventers, completely exposing the blade in the table. So he took all the safety features off the machine and then ran it backwards, and obviously the upwards-rotating blade grabbed the workpiece and threw it into his face, and his thumb glanced off the blade and triggered the brake. He claimed that he got cut by the wood but I saw the wound and it was a little square chunk about 1/16" deep and exactly the width of the blade kerf so lol.

In the end he did realize how stupid he was and acted pretty sheepish about it, and his excuse was "I hadn't eaten anything all day and I was really tired" so now I use him as an example when talking to the kids about being physically and mentally well-rested before you start doing potentially dangerous work.

As for grading -- it's a design program, not a shop or tech class, so they're graded on the quality of output rather than shop technique. We teach them as much as possible and throw them out of the labs for being morons but thankfully I don't have to figure out how many points to deduct when they decide to weld without turning on the gas or whatever. I can just say "this is a terrible weld" as it falls apart in my hands and leave it at that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 7, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

So he took all the safety features off the machine and then ran it backwards, and obviously the upwards-rotating blade grabbed the workpiece and threw it into his face, and his thumb glanced off the blade and triggered the brake. He claimed that he got cut by the wood but I saw the wound and it was a little square chunk about 1/16" deep and exactly the width of the blade kerf so lol.

How long until after they graduate can you call them up and howl with laughter?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

This is great. Keep going.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

In order to do that, he had to remove (1) the blade guard, (2) the riving knife, and (3) the kickback preventers, completely exposing the blade in the table.
How did he manage this without a supervisor tapping him on the shoulder and asking him what the gently caress he thought he was doing?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

How did he manage this without a supervisor tapping him on the shoulder and asking him what the gently caress he thought he was doing?

On our jobsite Saw Stop anyway, all of that is one assembly that is held in place with an easily accessible lever right behind the blade. Takes about 5 seconds. Still hilarious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How long until after they graduate can you call them up and howl with laughter?

Probably the day after their grades are in for their final semester. As of that moment they're no longer my student.

I guess my other biggest frustration (beyond the earpods) is that students don't seem to grasp the existence of hand tools, and certainly don't believe that you could ever do anything useful with them. Particularly metalwork. I've lost count of the number of times a kid has come up to me with like a 3/8" mild steel rod in their hand, asking "what machine can cut this?" and when I hand them a hacksaw their eyes bug out of their head. "REALLY? This can cut METAL?" (they pick it up like it's rotten zucchini) "How long will this take me though? Isn't there a power tool?"

Or I'll catch someone trying to put in a 1" #10 flathead screw with a power drill and a big chain of magnetic bitholders and it's constantly slipping out because it's the wrong size bit and they've got it set on high speed and whatnot. So I roll my eyes and hand them a regular screwdriver of the proper size and, again, "will this work?"

I blame the elimination of all shop classes and vo-tech stuff in high school. Maybe having an auto shop is a luxury these days but everyone with a high school diploma should at least know how to operate a hand saw and turn a screw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

I've lost count of the number of times a kid has come up to me with like a 3/8" mild steel rod in their hand, asking "what machine can cut this?" and when I hand them a hacksaw their eyes bug out of their head. "REALLY? This can cut METAL?" (they pick it up like it's rotten zucchini) "How long will this take me though? Isn't there a power tool?"

Or I'll catch someone trying to put in a 1" #10 flathead screw with a power drill and a big chain of magnetic bitholders and it's constantly slipping out because it's the wrong size bit and they've got it set on high speed and whatnot.

Don't doxx me