Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

wilderthanmild posted:

So basically if I want to keep my favorite counties, conquer more and give my least favorite sons my least favorite counties first?

Sort of. It'll end up distributing your top-level titles as "fairly" as it can, so once you get multiple duke titles as a duke or multiple kingdom titles as a king, your realm will split. If you're a king with a single kingdom and a single duchy, you can give your lesser heirs single counties and be all right for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Vengarr posted:

Question about Gavelkind. I had Primogeniture inheritance on the Empire of Abyssinia, with my capital in Fustat, Egypt. Below the Imperial title, the Kingdoms of Egypt and Nubia were Gavelkind. When I died, the Empire and Kingdom of Abyssinia went to my gifted son, and Egypt and Nubia went to his idiot brother. Okay, fair enough. But when he took over, he got the capital county of Fustat! I get that it's also the capital county of Egypt, but I thought the Emperor would always keep the Imperial capital county regardless.

I suspect the issue here is that Fustat being an Egyptian county means it's handled with Egyptian laws... which means gavelkind on a county level, not just a kingdom level.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cool things I've learned just today despite hundreds of in game hours: you can use the county search function in the bottom right to search for regions as well. So when Outremer says you need to own "all of the Near East", you can just open up that search bar, type in "Near East", and it will highlight every county you need to control.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There also a teeny-tiny little “region” button on the county view window that will highlight the geographical region the county is in (clicking multiple times will highlight the various different levels) so if you know roughly where an area is you can use that to get the specific borders.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I reformed the Germanic religion as Saxony a while ago and the first Crusade that's bring called is against little old me. Is there any way to prevent me getting destroyed by several dozen Catholic countries and holy orders?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Glass of Milk posted:

I reformed the Germanic religion as Saxony a while ago and the first Crusade that's bring called is against little old me. Is there any way to prevent me getting destroyed by several dozen Catholic countries and holy orders?

Hit Rome as hard and fast as you can and you might be able to force a 100% warscore.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

Convert to Catholicism.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Vengarr posted:

Also got screwed because my previous ruler had ruled for the 10 years needed to change inheritance laws, and had no unhappy vassals, but still couldn't change the laws. (It had an X next to "Has reigned for 10 years" for over 15 years). Are female rulers not allowed to change inheritance laws?

Did this previous ruler create the Empire of Abyssinia? Because I think when you create a new higher-tier title, the 10 years thing resets.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

reignofevil posted:

Convert to Catholicism.

Falsely convert to Catholicism. What're they gonna do, Crusade you again?

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

simonwolf posted:

I just launched my save from yesterday and all my Saxon dudes (and everyone normally using Saxon portraits) now have the old, gross white people portraits and I am sick to my stomach

update:

:barf:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Umayyad has gone nuts this game. Dude still has 10 left on his vassal limit so he still has a ton of room to expand. I'm about to crack into Pannonia though so he can forget about that poo poo.

At least the Umayyad stuff will be easy to manage. Most of what's left of europe is a border massacre.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Anyone encountered this weird bug?

I'm playing as the King of Leon in about 1100 and every time I go to convene a council vote on anything there's a seventh council slot that's considered empty (and thus considered a no vote). I'm only a king so I only have six slots (the regular jobs plus one advisor) and there isn't a slot in the council section to appoint anyone. Anyone run into this or know how to deal with it?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Want to be made a saint? Just get all seven virtues.

What, like it's hard? :smaug:

Had some REAL dumb poo poo happen in this game, though. Isabelle died at like 70, and her young adult son inherited, only to rule for two fuckin years before he dies of 'a weak body' so his NEWBORN SON inherits and I gotta sit through a goddamn regency for 16 years. :mad:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, there really should be an optional game rule about to cool it on the NPC culling in player courts. It's kinda loving insane and irritating how all my commanders instantly die and disappear with me: like hello: I'm not playing as an Egyptian Pagan: they don't have to be buried with me in my pyramid

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So I'm halfway looking at tweaking some of the timing or probabilities on the Way of Life events - several of the passive ones, like family focus or rulership, can sit for years and years without developing their upgrades, while active ones like carousing or seduction you can easily finish it off and grab the lifestyle trait before the five year limit on changing foci even passes. (Family, by my calculation, takes something like an average 10 years to give you level 1 family patriarch, another 25 years to get level 2, and another hundred years to offer you its choice of lifestyle traits. Though you can cut those numbers down a bit if you never command troops.)

I'm curious what other people feel would be an appropriate average time to wait for a passive focus to yield its lifestyle trait choice; I'm leaning towards something like 15 or 20 years myself.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 7, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

what's going on here

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Complete guess: it's a rotating selection of interesting characters to choose for your new game.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
In my Persian Empire game, I just converted the (formerly Pagan) King of England to Zoroastrianism. The King of Finland then randomly converted too (not sure why).

Anyway, England is defending against Poland in a Holy War. If I Offer to Join England's war, will it trigger all the defensive pacts against me? My current threat is 67%.

- I'm not sure if Poland is a member of a Defensive Pact against me or not. They probably are since it seems like the entire world is.
- I don't have an Alliance with England, but I can offer to join since they're now my co-religionists involved in a Holy War.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Disillusionist posted:

In my Persian Empire game, I just converted the (formerly Pagan) King of England to Zoroastrianism. The King of Finland then randomly converted too (not sure why).

Anyway, England is defending against Poland in a Holy War. If I Offer to Join England's war, will it trigger all the defensive pacts against me? My current threat is 67%.

- I'm not sure if Poland is a member of a Defensive Pact against me or not. They probably are since it seems like the entire world is.
- I don't have an Alliance with England, but I can offer to join since they're now my co-religionists involved in a Holy War.

Joining wars never triggers defensive pacts, and the person you're helping winning the war also doesn't increase your threat. Go crush those infidels!

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Joining wars never triggers defensive pacts, and the person you're helping winning the war also doesn't increase your threat. Go crush those infidels!

:getin:

Any idea why the King of Finland also converted? He was also Germanic, but not related by blood to the King of England. Do all Pagan rulers get the option to convert if one does?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Disillusionist posted:

:getin:

Any idea why the King of Finland also converted? He was also Germanic, but not related by blood to the King of England. Do all Pagan rulers get the option to convert if one does?

Was this pre-patch? They toned down the chance of unreformed pagans requesting conversions in this week's patch. It could just be coincidence.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Was this pre-patch? They toned down the chance of unreformed pagans requesting conversions in this week's patch. It could just be coincidence.

It's post-patch. Must be coincidence then.

Speaking of which, I know Pagans can request sponsors in order to mass convert, but is there an option for the reverse? Can a reformed religion offer to sponsor one?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

prussian advisor posted:

Anyone encountered this weird bug?

I'm playing as the King of Leon in about 1100 and every time I go to convene a council vote on anything there's a seventh council slot that's considered empty (and thus considered a no vote). I'm only a king so I only have six slots (the regular jobs plus one advisor) and there isn't a slot in the council section to appoint anyone. Anyone run into this or know how to deal with it?

I have seen this but don't know how to fix it. :( It resolved itself after a while, though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Disillusionist posted:

It's post-patch. Must be coincidence then.

Speaking of which, I know Pagans can request sponsors in order to mass convert, but is there an option for the reverse? Can a reformed religion offer to sponsor one?
Yeah they can: you holy war them until they convert in cowering fear

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah, there really should be an optional game rule about to cool it on the NPC culling in player courts. It's kinda loving insane and irritating how all my commanders instantly die and disappear with me: like hello: I'm not playing as an Egyptian Pagan: they don't have to be buried with me in my pyramid

Anyone with a title (even honorary) shouldn’t disappear.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I really wish the game was more clear about changing succession laws so that turning from a kingdom into the HRE didn't plunge me into chaos. I was so drat comfortable, now it's a constant fight against game-ending heirs because of this seven elector thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holy moly the Outremer retinue is insane. 100 Heavy Cav/150 Camel Cav. :eyepop:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Since the new patch, I haven't been able to do the thing where you can pick the name of your children as they're born.

It's also a new ruler so is it possible he has a trait or something that's disabling the option? It's not a big deal but I enjoyed making sure to have continuous dynastic names.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

evenworse username posted:

Since the new patch, I haven't been able to do the thing where you can pick the name of your children as they're born.

It's also a new ruler so is it possible he has a trait or something that's disabling the option? It's not a big deal but I enjoyed making sure to have continuous dynastic names.
the best is when they start popping up again

I had a screenshot where Goku de Hauteville popped up but its lost

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is it possible to play a multiplayer game where one human controls a liege and a second human controls the heir?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snoremac posted:

I really wish the game was more clear about changing succession laws so that turning from a kingdom into the HRE didn't plunge me into chaos. I was so drat comfortable, now it's a constant fight against game-ending heirs because of this seven elector thing.

Well, that's kind of a new thing. But there was a big dev diary about the HRE having princely elective succession, and the Byzantines/restored Romans having imperial elective succession. Every other empire follows your main kingdom's succession law when you form it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

Is it possible to play a multiplayer game where one human controls a liege and a second human controls the heir?

They’d both have to be landed, but yeah.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
What causes retinues to not join together when you try to add to the stack? It seems to happen to me every so often, and it's pretty annoying.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

What causes retinues to not join together when you try to add to the stack? It seems to happen to me every so often, and it's pretty annoying.

Did you leave them on raiding mode? Raiders can’t join with non-raiders.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did you leave them on raiding mode? Raiders can’t join with non-raiders.

Nah, I'm playing as a Catholic, so no raiding. I have a couple different kinds of troops in there though (I think a few knights, a few shock troops and a defense one), could it be something weird with that?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They’d both have to be landed, but yeah.

If the first player (the liege) dies, would that player get a game over?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crow Jane posted:

Nah, I'm playing as a Catholic, so no raiding. I have a couple different kinds of troops in there though (I think a few knights, a few shock troops and a defense one), could it be something weird with that?

It shouldn't. Only other thing I can think of is if one stack is movement locked heading to another county, it can't be merged with units that are stationary in that county.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Captain Beans posted:

If the first player (the liege) dies, would that player get a game over?

There's no cooperative mode in ck2 allowing multiple people to play the same ruler so my guesses in ascending order of likelihood are

If the dying character has their titles being split due to gavelkind or different succession laws they would play as a different heir

Game Over for the dying player

Game Desyncs

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Volkerball posted:

It shouldn't. Only other thing I can think of is if one stack is movement locked heading to another county, it can't be merged with units that are stationary in that county.

Actually yeah, this is probably it, thanks. Might have to switch movement lock off in the future.

E: but I think I remember it happening before Holy Fury too? Just seems to glitch every so often

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Any tips on how to sway electors towards my favoured successor?