Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
People have weird reactions to classes sometimes. One person in our playgroup hated playing music note. I'm gonna leap on that poo poo hard when I finally retire Sun (which should happen soon -- I've been nursing Sun along through like 25 scenarios).

I'll say this though about Sun high end enhanced-retaliate sun build in 4p is just ridiculous, in the right circumstances I'm soloing whole rooms at +3 difficulty just by standing there. The main reason I'm retiring the character is she's so strong it makes scenarios a little boring, because I essentially never die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'll say this though about Sun high end enhanced-retaliate sun build in 4p is just ridiculous, in the right circumstances I'm soloing whole rooms at +3 difficulty just by standing there. The main reason I'm retiring the character is she's so strong it makes scenarios a little boring, because I essentially never die.

We had a Sun in the party who recently retired (shield/attack, not retaliate build) and it looked incredible. I'm currently Three Spears, and while it's very strong, I'm really looking forward to trying out Sun at some point. My current retirement goal is to donate 120 gold, and I'm at 40 so I think I'll stick with three spear just long enough to enjoy being OP but not so long that it overstays its welcome

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xad posted:

It's especially funny because apparently I've played all the "worst" classes: Tinkerer, Two Minis, Triforce, and Circles, and I have had a loving blast the entire time.

I'm sure they're all much worse in 2P but I've been playing with a full 4-person party the whole time and this game is great.

In 2P Two Minis is ridiculously strong even accounting for the obvious limitations (the bear cannot open doors and is dumb as hell). The lower enemy numbers make it much easier to keep the bear alive, and the high burst damage and disarms mean you can lock down a half a room by yourself without breaking a sweat. It's probably stronger at 2P than 4.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In 2P Two Minis is ridiculously strong even accounting for the obvious limitations (the bear cannot open doors and is dumb as hell). The lower enemy numbers make it much easier to keep the bear alive, and the high burst damage and disarms mean you can lock down a half a room by yourself without breaking a sweat. It's probably stronger at 2P than 4.

The party composition when I was Two Minis was them, Music Note, Sun, and Three Spears, and (spoilers for all 4 classes) god drat that was probably the most OP our party has ever been. Music Note and Tyrant would disarm/stun everything in the room, everything constantly had disadvantage so our whole party almost never took damage while the bear, Sun, and Three Spears ran around murdering everything extremely fast. Hell, Music Note can even stab people for like 7 damage if they roll their +4 and they have certain items, it was nuts. One scenario involved fighting a shitload of slimes and we won that solely due to our sun class stacking shields and just standing in the middle of the room taking 0 damage from everything's attacks.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
Triforce was absolutely awful. The class is absurdly random, and even when you pull off a full board, the results are not equal to the amount of effort/luck. The cards are generally only slightly better than their "I just play this and it does things" counterparts, and that is only if you have a successful setup. Your damage cards are pretty anemic even with elements, and literally half your modifier deck is +0's. And I'm sure it only happened two or three times, but the absolute low point has to be using the AOE that generates ice, then getting 1 or 2 ice modifier cards out of the deck.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I ride bikes all day posted:

Triforce was absolutely awful. The class is absurdly random, and even when you pull off a full board, the results are not equal to the amount of effort/luck. The cards are generally only slightly better than their "I just play this and it does things" counterparts, and that is only if you have a successful setup. Your damage cards are pretty anemic even with elements, and literally half your modifier deck is +0's. And I'm sure it only happened two or three times, but the absolute low point has to be using the AOE that generates ice, then getting 1 or 2 ice modifier cards out of the deck.
Agree with all of this. I didn't hate playing Triforce but it was my least favorite class by a fair margin, and the player in my first campaign who opened it didn't like it at all. What you said about the modifiers is spot on, even if on average you're getting useful elements it feels really lovely to pull useless/redundant ones. I do kinda feel that for nearly every class that use elements the modifier deck ones are pretty useless, unless you're not planning your turns ahead at all you're usually gonna be generating an element already if you want to use it the next turn. It would be neat if the persistent card that lets you sop up spare elements for +1 damage was more like the level 1 attacks and let you always use specific elements for specific bonuses, but maybe that would be too good who knows.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I wildly agree about triforce. Angry face spoilers also included. you could literally double their persistent-benefit cards (i.e. burn an element for +2, or lose 1 for +2 elements)and still not get to as good single target damage as the Doomstalker - between persistent advantage, persistent +2s, a good deck, and no elemental requirements, it's Just Better overall. DS gets attack 6 or 7 with advantage where Triforce can get up to maaaaaybe 5 if it gets lucky. Triforce has exactly one thing going for it and that's area-effect executes. It's such a poo poo class.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thespaceinvader posted:

I wildly agree about triforce. Angry face spoilers also included. you could literally double their persistent-benefit cards (i.e. burn an element for +2, or lose 1 for +2 elements)and still not get to as good single target damage as the Doomstalker - between persistent advantage, persistent +2s, a good deck, and no elemental requirements, it's Just Better overall. DS gets attack 6 or 7 with advantage where Triforce can get up to maaaaaybe 5 if it gets lucky. Triforce has exactly one thing going for it and that's area-effect executes. It's such a poo poo class.

I am shocked, shocked, that a class focused on multi-target attacks and conditions is not as good at single-target damage as the class that is hyper-focused on dealing single-target damage.

Are you sure you weren't just playing it wrong?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jabor posted:

I am shocked, shocked, that a class focused on multi-target attacks and conditions is not as good at single-target damage as the class that is hyper-focused on dealing single-target damage.

Are you sure you weren't just playing it wrong?

Triforce and Angry Face: Triforce isn't anything special at applying conditions though, and single target damage is a far more useful niche than AoE. And lots of the Triforce's (non-loss) AoE is pretty weak and exists just to generate elements for bigger attacks. I don't think it's a poo poo class but before level 5 or so you'll struggle to keep up with other classes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Triforce:is pretty bad at multitarget though?

1 target cards, non-loss: Raw Enhancement, Pure Augmentation, Formless Power, Shaping the Ether (no earth), Stoking Hail, Frigid Torrent (no earth, also no range lol), Malleable Evocation (no wind), Burial (bottom), Winter's Edge, Simulacrum***, Pragmatic Reinforcement (bottom, but why do you have this instead of Vengeance?),

2 targets, non-loss, most of the time (counting 3-hex burst as likely to hit 2 targets but not 3, most of the time, if you're getting 3 targets out of it that's great, but fairly unlikely in most contexts IME, and I was frequently forced to use it for just one): Shaping the Ether (earth), Tremulant Cyclone, Ice Spikes, Frigid Torrent (earth), Malleable Evocation (wind), Obsidian Shards**, Simulacrum***, Vengance, aka the only really top-notch card in the class,
3+ targets, non-loss: Boiling Arc and Crystallising Blast*, Gravel Vortex (lol, melee), Eternal Equilibrium

Losses: Infernal Vortex is pretty strong, as is Lava Eruption****, and both can expect 3+ targets if used well, Ice Spikes (bottom), good, but single target, Frigid Torrent bottom maybe 2 targets but a lot of utility, Burial - good, maybe 2 targets, but very good utility, Chain LIghtning: super hard to pull off but amazing when it works out, Primal Duality: this is the kind of thing I'm talking about 2 targets, long range, good attack makes elements, has XP... but it's a loss, at a level when other classes are getting similar amounts out of non-loss or recoverable loss, no elements, or both, Eye of the Hurricane: Weird, requires extremely good setup or a good melee ally to pull off, probably both. Then last but not least, fuckign Summon Mana Sphere. A 3HP 3 move loving MELEE summon at level loving NINE. Its effect is amazing, and basically the perfect effect for the class, but if it lasts more than one round after actually swinging once you've got insanely lucky, heck, you've got a bit lucky if it doesn't just die before it does anything tbh.

*stick a curse on it and it's useful for more than just setup, but otherwise it's literally just there to flip elements. Which will of course be random so you can't plan your turn more than a round in advance which is horrible.
**now we're gettin somewhere, non-loss long range 2 targets. But needs two loving elements to get to attack 5 and XP. At level loving 5.
***don't even get me loving started on a level 6 card that needs 4 loving elements to operate at even close to the average class's level 6, and 6 to operate at full efficiency.
****but they are both losses that set up elements for good non-loss cards, so... huh? And are also both almost always better used for the move-and-element.

That's a total of 11 single target options, 8 double target non-loss options (some of which are single target unless you have a specific element), and 4 3+ target options, one of which is level 9, and two of which are melee on a squishy mostly ranged class which can't use armour effectively.

Losses are a little better, and all of its low level loss attacks are good multitargets, but often with weird setup requirements, and... only 9 of them. And it rounds all this out with a host of weird support cards mixing self-healing, self-shield, and retaliate with weird stuff like invisible allies, etc. And stuff like the shield 6 top action which is just... so weird. So I can kick in a door and get a total of shield 6 for a round, which is pretty great for sure, but... I'm not killing anything, and if anythign is going conditions I'm just eating them, and I'm not replacing my elements for next round... etc. It can do a few conditions, but not as effectively nor as reliably as the Spellweaver or some of the more troll-oriented unlocks. Or heck, even the Brute does them better at times.

And don't get me started on its paltry movement, needign an element to get above move 3 (except for a single pair of level 2 cards one of which is one of the best movement cards in the game, with move 4 shield 2 at low init) is AWFUL. One of my biggest problems with it was always that to keep up I desperately needed to spend the elements I desperately wanted to use on my attacks, and I NEVER found it worthwhile to use Formless Power, because... I almost never had free elements at the right times. It needs so much luck and so much pre-planning and so much fiddling to do... about as qwell as everyone else. Until you get Vengeance at which point it needs dark+1 element to murder everything.

And then you hit the issue that if you ever long rest or have to spend a round just moving, you're probably down to 1 or 0 elements, and you have to spend a round either using a loss or using a pathetic-attack top burst to set up again.

It's so bad. It never felt like more than a trudge with a lot of admin, to me at least. It makes me wonder whether it was written in an early draft where you could use elements you created on your turn, and then couldn't be rebalanced in time when that changed. Maybe it's not FOR me, but I just can't see who it is for.

I like the concept of 'savvas which is a master of all the elements' but I can't help but feel there could have been a WAY better way of doing it. Like, say, giving it a basic ability that allowed burning of elements for given effects on *any* card (anything for +1 damage, any number of times, or Ice for Stun, Fire for Wound, Earth for multitarget, wind for push, sun for disarm, dark for curse, say, with a similar set of options for movement) AND a set of basic cards which do roughly what it does here, but with a few fewer elements. It's one of the few classes I've seen in play for long periods which just feels like a straight up swing and a miss.

E: and honestly, I can understand the reticence to make something ludicrously strong (although, looking at it next to some of the really strong classes it's kinda pathetic), but I'd have far preferred to see somethign which was weak to so-so without elements but super strong with them, over something which is utterly pathetic without them and only just above average with them, at best, when all the stars align and everything goes perfectly.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 6, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Given that you have a ten card hand and half your card plays are going to be on their bottom half, having twelve non-loss multi-target options is actually quite a drat lot.

Admittedly with so many of them being AoE based, you're going to have a tougher time getting full value out of them in two-player.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What's the difference between first and second printing? Spoil me hard, I don't mind.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cassa posted:

What's the difference between first and second printing? Spoil me hard, I don't mind.

Buffs, nerfs, text changes, component fixes. Mostly nerfs, both to scenarios and to classes.

The later printings have minor changes (typos etc) and are pretty much interchangeable with the 2nd edition.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Dec 6, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only seen the second edition, but the changes I know of mostly relate to balance. Bunch of cards doing a bit less damage, hitting fewer targets, that sort of thing. Plus they added the HP/EXP trackers, which you'd track on your character mat in first printing, as far as I can tell.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My friend who played Triforce owned so hard. Massive AOE or multi Target damage, great single Target, executes.

Question, I've played Mindthief to lvl 8, Lightning Bolt to 6, now Two Mini to 9 with 4 scenarios left. Should I play Circles or Angry Face next? Could potentially also do Music Note if the other guy unlocks him at the same time as me and he chooses someone else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Angry Face archetype: archer
Circles archetype: summoner

Angry Face is one of the classes that you rarely see a bad word about.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
We've had Angry Face unlocked for awhile but haven't seen Circles yet. I figured AF seemed different enough than what I've played.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Angry Face is one of the classes that you rarely see a bad word about.

One member of my group didn’t like Angry Face because he found it too straightforward. He was bored playing it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

KingKapalone posted:

My friend who played Triforce owned so hard. Massive AOE or multi Target damage, great single Target, executes.

Question, I've played Mindthief to lvl 8, Lightning Bolt to 6, now Two Mini to 9 with 4 scenarios left. Should I play Circles or Angry Face next? Could potentially also do Music Note if the other guy unlocks him at the same time as me and he chooses someone else.

Thata weird, that's exactly my progression too, although I haven't opened two minis yet.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There always seems to be two ways to play a class; I'd say the worse designed classes only have one viable route. Still it's funny how people just can't seem to break the idea of the class out of their head. Most people see the Tinkerer as a support role, and my one friend has easily played him as a rampaging DPS monster. Sure he'll kick us a heal or give us back some cards sometimes, but that's incidental to him killing everything he can.

It rules.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Who moves the monsters when you play? If it's you, and you enjoy a character that requires some finesse, I suggest trying Circles. There's at least one good guide on Boardgamegeek to get you started. Angry Face is just plain great, but you won't need much subtlety.

As for the long Triforce discussion, saying "class is bad" is different from saying "I didn't enjoy playing the class." It is not bad, it is just very difficult to get a sense of what you're supposed to do. I was frustrated playing Triforce (after the Spellweaver) until I sat down and analyzed the cards to try to work out how the class was designed to be played; I ended up loving it after that. I offer a few general tips that apply to most classes, and then spoiler-specifics.

1. If you're not in one of those groups that finds the game too easy and plays all the scenarios at maximum difficulty, try prioritizing XP gain when playing a new character. While for some characters, this approach isn't optimal, it will teach you a great deal about how the character functions. (Be sure to pay more attention to the non-loss abilities that grant XP, but don't ignore your loss cards; the "one loss card per room" rule of thumb isn't perfect, but it isn't completely off-base.)
2. Let go of the assumption that almost all the character guides make that your deck should consist of the most optimal cards. Instead, look at the cards available to your new class and think about which ones you'd want to use to deal with specific problems or objectives. What's your best way to move very fast? How good are you at looting should you hit a scenario that requires it? What do you have to deal with high HP monsters? Monsters with shield? Retaliate? What's your mix of element generation and usage? Are your generation cards always the top or bottom of the cards that use the elements (in which case you need to either pair them or rest or stamina potion), or do they come separately? What do your loss cards do, and under what circumstances would it be worth losing a card to do that? Do you have any emergency cards that can save you if you get in a bad spot/really hurt?
3. To what extent does your character have mechanics that involve playing a game within the character itself? The best examples are all spoilers, but you can compare the Cragheart, whose more complex cards interact with allies, enemies, and the environment, with the Spellweaver's need to generate and consume elements, or the Mindthief's possible augment-switching game. You'll have something extra to master if your character has an "internal" game of this sort, and some players will prefer more straightforward characters or ones whose "game" is very simple (like the Scoundrel's "invisible," then X 2 damage trick).

For Triforce specifically: You are extremely versatile, possibly the most flexible character in the game, because much of what you do can be adjusted in-scenario via your element usage. But you start out very limited if you are low-level, because you have limited ability to generate all the elements you need. Take a look at your element generation: you can make single elements, or use loss cards to generate double elements. The double elements you want (at least initially) are Earth & Ice, and Air & Fire; the single elements you want are Ice and Fire (though Air is OK; go Earth first if you're trying the melee build but I don't recommend that for a first-time player). Fire is more damage-focused, which Ice is more control/conditions (Stun and Immobilize), so pick one initially to focus on more and build your modifier deck accordingly. Some other characters generate extra elements (Mindthief and Ice, Cragheart and Earth), so take that into account and coordinate so that you have one of your desired pairs. Also, pay close attention to which demons will appear (if any) and be ready to borrow their elements for your own--you'll need faster cards to do this, and the really fast demons may still be able to beat you, but this is great for Earth and Frost demons especially.

Element generating enhancements can be vital to make your experience with the class seem less random, and they will make the next player to try the class very happy, too. I suggest the <any element> for the bottom of your favorite L1 element generator; adding Ice to your Earth generator or Fire to your Air generator is potent, too. You can probably get at least the specific element added before L5 if you start at low level. Shaping the Ether is a crutch to avoid in the meantime; while using it to boost damage on your cards means you either break even or get +1 damage, you lose the top Earth & Ice to stun 2 targets. (There is a cute combination with Ether and Formless Power, where you can add the element you'll need and consume an element you won't to bring your damage back to normal, but playing with 2 cards down is risky in most scenarios.) In any case, you're planning what you need to do next turn and putting out the element you need to do it, while hoping to get a useful paired element or requesting one from an ally.

Once you have enough element generation in your modifier deck (by L5), you can shift emphasis. Previously, you were focused on pulling off one or two element pairs per rest, plus one or two singletons: if Fire is your focus, you were wounding 2-3 monsters per rest and pumping out damage that about at the normal curve; if Ice, then you stunned 2-3 monsters and immobilized another per rest, while doing a bit less damage than the curve. Now, you should be generating two elements per turn routinely between your own cards and your modifier deck, and might have three or more available. This means greater flexibility in using elements and element pairs is desirable. Your excellent L5 cards both introduce a new element pair. You could use Formless Power to consume any extra elements. Personally, my preference was to bring the cards with all four elements on them and decide each turn how I could optimally use the elements available to me. If you've cycled a card out of your hand that would be optimal, you may have to settle, but you'll settle fairly rarely. Several cards (including your L5s) work just fine without any elements at all, so you can stall for a turn if you must, but the odds favor you being able to Move 7 or Attack 5, and sometimes you can drop an Attack 3 Stun on 2 targets or make a two target Attack 3 Poison Wound. If you have to do the heavy lifting or you're fighting a condition-immune boss, you can stack Attack 6s via Formless Power and pump out more than respectable damage turn after turn. Unlike most characters, you will have a tool in your deck for any problem.

By the time you take Vengeance at L7, if you've mastered the fundamentals, you'll find that while Vengeance is powerful, you have plenty of effective things to do when you aren't playing it. In some scenarios, I would take Vengeance as a loss after a rest because I wasn't expecting to face enough normal enemies to make it as effective as my other cards! (Against spawning enemies and the like, hang onto it forever).

Also (spoilers for Triforce and a broad category of items found through random item draws) your experience is going to vary depending upon how many element generating items you have access to. Being able to generate a specific element on command, especially on an item which is only spent, gives you a lot more ability to plan ahead and also allows you a way to deal with "off-turns" where you don't have usable elements out. Having allies with such items is even better.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
It's a bad class. Just because you can do these things to make it workable doesn't make it less bad. You can do math on an abacus, that doesn't mean it isn't a lovely way to do so.

On the bright side, if you are working with an abacus, the math for Triforce will be easy. Literally half that drat modifier deck is +0.

I ride bikes all day fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 7, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

At the risk of using the f word, I found the class extremely fun to play, and don't actually know that I felt any of the problems anyone here has described. Maybe it's by virtue of playing 2p and our playstyle? Or the class my wife was playing? I dunno. It's definitely nowhere near the weakest class we have felt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

At the risk of using the f word, I found the class extremely fun to play, and don't actually know that I felt any of the problems anyone here has described. Maybe it's by virtue of playing 2p and our playstyle? Or the class my wife was playing? I dunno. It's definitely nowhere near the weakest class we have felt.

It depends a lot on what level/prosperity you start at and what the party comp is. I started at level 3 with a partner who only generated elements very rarely and found I was loving useless until I got a few perks and hit level 5, at which point I had enough element generation on my own to actually do useful things. And the class was fun at that point.

No class with a reusable AoE execute can be called weak but it's got a bunch of hoops to jump through that most other classes don't have.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It depends a lot on what level/prosperity you start at and what the party comp is. I started at level 3 with a partner who only generated elements very rarely and found I was loving useless until I got a few perks and hit level 5, at which point I had enough element generation on my own to actually do useful things. And the class was fun at that point.

No class with a reusable AoE execute can be called weak but it's got a bunch of hoops to jump through that most other classes don't have.

Sure, I guess? I think I started about there, too, but with a class that was generating multiple elements a bunch, so that could have helped!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Xad posted:

It's especially funny because apparently I've played all the "worst" classes: Tinkerer, Two Minis, Triforce, and Circles, and I have had a loving blast the entire time.

I'm sure they're all much worse in 2P but I've been playing with a full 4-person party the whole time and this game is great.

Also never look at the subreddit for enhancement suggestions because adding curse to every possible multitarget attack is boring as hell

Wait two minis is considered bad?!

From our experience Sun has been the worst because it's so slow and requires a bit of setup, so it never really got to do anything.

I'm using a reddit guide for Eclipse which is good because I wouldn't really have guessed what to do with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

Wait two minis is considered bad?!

From our experience Sun has been the worst because it's so slow and requires a bit of setup, so it never really got to do anything.

I'm using a reddit guide for Eclipse which is good because I wouldn't really have guessed what to do with it.

Does your Sun have The Enhancement? It sucks the big one without it. It lights on FIRE once it gets it, but you do need to religiously(!) keep your move 3, 4, and 5 cards available to use AS moves, even at the expense of using good top actions. I've never had more fun in Gloomhaven than kicking down a door into a huge room full of ranged enemies and taking 0 damage from all their attacks.

On reflection, the only thing that really disappoints me about Sun is that it was felt necessary to gatekeep its effectiveness behind a hundred-gold enhancement. It means that people can start it and just... not get how great it is.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Nah Sun is fine even without that enhancement. It's an extremely powerful class with a ton of flexibility.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thespaceinvader posted:

Does your Sun have The Enhancement? It sucks the big one without it. It lights on FIRE once it gets it, but you do need to religiously(!) keep your move 3, 4, and 5 cards available to use AS moves, even at the expense of using good top actions. I've never had more fun in Gloomhaven than kicking down a door into a huge room full of ranged enemies and taking 0 damage from all their attacks.

On reflection, the only thing that really disappoints me about Sun is that it was felt necessary to gatekeep its effectiveness behind a hundred-gold enhancement. It means that people can start it and just... not get how great it is.

And seriously . . the late game once you get the Second Enhancement, the standing +1 Retaliate, it's so goddam crazy. Rooms just melt.

The only real downside to Sun is that it can get a little boring because a lot of the time you're just standing there tanking hits and not actively doing as much, especially if you go a tank/support build. It's still powerful as hell just a little simple and straightforward: move, be immortal, move, be immortal, rest, etc.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've had a lot more fun playing sun as striker who uses light element to clobber fools. You get attack 5s with advantage at level 3 which is crazy early. I transitioned into a support role later because of team comp but it can play well both ways, especially because you hardly need to worry about defence from a single attack once you get the solo scenario item

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And seriously . . the late game once you get the Second Enhancement, the standing +1 Retaliate, it's so goddam crazy. Rooms just melt.

The only real downside to Sun is that it can get a little boring because a lot of the time you're just standing there tanking hits and not actively doing as much, especially if you go a tank/support build. It's still powerful as hell just a little simple and straightforward: move, be immortal, move, be immortal, rest, etc.

That's the part I tend to find interesting, to be honest.getting it right so that you're tanking as many attacks as possible and no stragglers are sneaking round you to mash the squishies is the most interesting part of Sun for me.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

I ride bikes all day posted:

It's a bad class. Just because you can do these things to make it workable doesn't make it less bad. You can do math on an abacus, that doesn't mean it isn't a lovely way to do so.

On the bright side, if you are working with an abacus, the math for Triforce will be easy. Literally half that drat modifier deck is +0.

If you think learning how to play a class by looking carefully at how it is designed to play is a "workaround," that explains a great deal about how you assess the classes. Triforce's strengths are almost entirely in areas you clearly don't value, but other people do and have fun playing the game with Triforce so that they can have a character strong in those ways.

Gloomhaven is built around giving different groups of players very different experiences. Discouraging players from playing a particular class that they might find effective just because you think it is "objectively" bad seems meanspirited, even if you can be proven "objectively" correct, which in this case would require you to do things like precisely value hp damage versus conditional effects to accurately model ability effectiveness. I don't see how you can address conditionals given that their effectiveness rests so heavily upon the board state, while damage is damage.

I am not trying to convince you, I'm trying to make sure that anyone reading the thread who thinks Triforce sounds like fun gives it a shot. They can decide for themselves whether they think it is a "fun but bad" or "boring and bad" or "effective but fiddly" or "awesome" class without needing anyone here to tell them they are objectively wrong or right.

On the Sun talk (Sun spoilers): in my group it's the most-played class, and yes, the first player did the vital enhancement. He played Sun twice, I played it once, and we have a fourth now. I'm of the opinion that going "shields up" is sometimes unneeded and often better delayed; our repeat player went for the traditional tank/damage build the first time and played an almost all support build the second time, in a group which had Lightning, Eclipse, and a rotating spot with either Three-Spears or Angry Face. We weren't short on damage, and he demonstrated the power of some of Sun's recovery cards (especially for Lightning when in a boss fight). While there aren't a lot of bad choices, the class really benefits from both enhancements and items, and relies very heavily on understanding how the card-flow works through your hand, as you're relying on a few cards for movement or attacking instead of having plenty of options like the Brute.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 7, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thespaceinvader posted:

That's the part I tend to find interesting, to be honest.getting it right so that you're tanking as many attacks as possible and no stragglers are sneaking round you to mash the squishies is the most interesting part of Sun for me.

That gets especially fun once you involve Two Minis. NO BEAR NOT THIS WAY *body blocks* I SAVE YOU BEAR

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

List of long-term relationship commitments:

3) moving in together

2) getting a pet together

1) playing Gloomhaven together

The couple we're playing with, dated years ago, split up, got back together back in August like three weeks before we roped them into playing with us. Now we play every Monday night. Those two better stick together, we're invested dammit

We started a Gloomhaven campaign with my long term girlfriend, and some mutual friends, a week before she announced "we need to talk" and ended the relationship.

So we'll see how that goes! I guess I can try being friends for the sake of Gloomhaven.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

That gets especially fun once you involve Two Minis. NO BEAR NOT THIS WAY *body blocks* I SAVE YOU BEAR

When Two Minis is in the party, the whole party plays the bear.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Der Shovel posted:

We started a Gloomhaven campaign with my long term girlfriend, and some mutual friends, a week before she announced "we need to talk" and ended the relationship.

So we'll see how that goes! I guess I can try being friends for the sake of Gloomhaven.
For what it's worth, Gloomhaven handles changing players very gracefully.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Finished painting up my Cthulhu Face

https://i.ibb.co/Tm7xPVn/P-20181207-230849-LL.jpg

I lifted it on a pin and tried to create a poison-y look for the ground and cloak. Not sure I like the ground, but the cloak came out really good

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 8, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

WhiteHowler posted:

For what it's worth, Gloomhaven handles changing players very gracefully.

Yeah so I gathered, and that's an option worth considering if it comes to that. But who knows, maybe this friendship thing will work out?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Psst. TIMGs break through spoiler tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

I lifted it on a pin and tried to create a poison-y look for the ground and cloak. Not sure I like the ground, but the cloak came out really good

You could find some dead twigs outside, cover them in a clear varnish, and put them on the base with some brown or black static grass to give it more of a blighted look. Also, you could paint the pin black, think of it like a frame.

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 8, 2018