Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How would you rate the structural integrity of your gingerbread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
I have a question about gravy:

Everything I've read online says that flour based gravies typically freeze well but fat based gravies tend to separate.
The turkey gravy I made in advance of a holiday function at work was a butter/flour roux, store bought turkey stock & no-salt-added chicken stock (which have no fat), and some spices.
Is that likely to freeze well? I have no idea if that constitutes a "flour based" or "fat based" gravy.

I'm probably on the hook for more gravy for another holiday function soon and I'd prefer to make it the weekend before and freeze it instead of trying to get it all done the night before again.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Anne Whateley posted:

Surely they go in with the dry ingredients. You don't want to overbeat and I hate it when they all sink to the bottom

I personally like having kind of a crumble layer strewn throughout, but you do you, boo.

Nephzinho posted:

I've never made that recipe, it's from KAF, it was just a joke, sorry if that wasn't clear :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

You know the silk is stronger than steel relative to thickness and stuff.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Can you substitute potato starch in recipes that call for corn starch? If so, at what ratio?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Jewel Repetition posted:

Can you substitute potato starch in recipes that call for corn starch? If so, at what ratio?

Yes. Between 1:1 and 1.5:1 depending on application. It's pretty much a straight upgrade IMO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Idk. Potato starch is more gluey imo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It makes a crispier frying crust than cornstarch, worth seeking out for doing stuff like karaage. But it's not like a super huge difference.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I screwed up and annihilated a pork loin (~190F internal temperature) and was wondering if anyone had good recipes with a hiding place for overcooked pork. All I've really got so far is thin slices in a salad (today's dinner) or chopping it up and throwing it into breakfast burritos.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

I screwed up and annihilated a pork loin (~190F internal temperature) and was wondering if anyone had good recipes with a hiding place for overcooked pork. All I've really got so far is thin slices in a salad (today's dinner) or chopping it up and throwing it into breakfast burritos.

:eyepop:

Just chop it up super finely and use it in stir fry. I bet if you slice it thin and sauce it well, it would be fine in something like twice cooked pork.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Power of Pecota posted:

Shred and make into Brunswick stew.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Power of Pecota posted:

Apparently that's the temperature of pulled pork, can you chuck it in a slow cooker and just leave it for about 8 hours? It might soften up and be a wierd dry pulled pork you can moisten up with bbq sauce and coleslaw?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Casu Marzu posted:

:eyepop:

Just chop it up super finely and use it in stir fry. I bet if you slice it thin and sauce it well, it would be fine in something like twice cooked pork.

I love the double-cooked pork at a sichuan place here but have never tried to replicate it, this sounds like a great reason to give it a try. Thanks!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Loin is not a normal cut but should be fine. This recipe is what I use and with a little modification tastes the same as in Sichuan: https://blog.themalamarket.com/chengdu-challenge-8-twice-cooked-pork-hui-guo-rou/

Modification: add thick slices of ginger and garlic of equal proportion. You can also never add too much douchi imo. I like to supplement the leeks/green onions with some mild green peppers, cook them blistered and blackened on a dry pan and then slice in half lengthwise. Toss those in toward the end of the cook time.

You can add basically any vegetables you want. Just green onions is the classic basic version but there are tons of variations. The peppers are common, thin sliced potato is also pretty popular and good.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm cooking on an induction stovetop for the first time in my new place. Is it normal that they come on and off in waves, so to speak? Like when I sautee onions, they'll start sizzling, cool down for a sec, start sizzling again, and so on, same with liquids like curries that start bubbling, calm down, start up again, you get the idea. Just throws me off when I don't see a constant level of heat happening like I'm used to.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm cooking on an induction stovetop for the first time in my new place. Is it normal that they come on and off in waves, so to speak? Like when I sautee onions, they'll start sizzling, cool down for a sec, start sizzling again, and so on, same with liquids like curries that start bubbling, calm down, start up again, you get the idea. Just throws me off when I don't see a constant level of heat happening like I'm used to.

at lower temps, yes. Newer/better ones have a lower threshold for those temps.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Balls, it's brand new and this happens all the way up to 7 (out of 9) so I'm forced to conclude it isn't very good. Or it's actually much cooler at 7 than I think it is.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Balls, it's brand new and this happens all the way up to 7 (out of 9) so I'm forced to conclude it isn't very good. Or it's actually much cooler at 7 than I think it is.

That's pretty standard for all low or mid range electric ranges.

Until you turn it hot enough that it's always on, an intermediate heat setting just changes the duty cycle of the heating element/inductive coil. You can check this by putting a small layer of water in a pan and turning the burner to different settings. It should heat for longer before shutting off for a shorter duration with higher heat settings. The electronics to adjust that much current flow precisely instead of just turning it on/off are actually pretty expensive, so this is common on all types of electric cooking tools below a certain price point.

The best way to mitigate the effects are with thick bottomed pots or pans that help smooth out the thermal cycle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It does do exactly that, I can hear it humming when it's on. And now that you mention it, yeah, I remember the old electric range doing the same, but I never got the wave effect so obviously there (I'm guessing there was always enough residual heat in the element to smooth it out).

While I'm at the topic, just out of curiosity: we had to buy a few new pans. (My girlfriend, who pushed for the induction range: "well I could have sworn they were all induction ready") We did a bit of research and were told there are metal plates you can put non-suitable for induction pots and pans on to make it work. Which I guess is basically any old ferromagnetic metal plate except probably at a "dedicated kitchen equipment" markup BUT ANYWAY: would I have been wrong in thinking a setup like that would just perform like a regular electric range?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Bit of a random one but does anyone have a recommendation for a decent nonstick pot that is good for cooking rice on the hob? I'm in the UK. I don't really know what makes a good rice-specific pot but I'd like to find one. Preferably one that could also go in the oven but I'm not sure nonstick can do that? I'm not after a rice cooker.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

It does do exactly that, I can hear it humming when it's on. And now that you mention it, yeah, I remember the old electric range doing the same, but I never got the wave effect so obviously there (I'm guessing there was always enough residual heat in the element to smooth it out).

While I'm at the topic, just out of curiosity: we had to buy a few new pans. (My girlfriend, who pushed for the induction range: "well I could have sworn they were all induction ready") We did a bit of research and were told there are metal plates you can put non-suitable for induction pots and pans on to make it work. Which I guess is basically any old ferromagnetic metal plate except probably at a "dedicated kitchen equipment" markup BUT ANYWAY: would I have been wrong in thinking a setup like that would just perform like a regular electric range?

Cycling in an electric range can be smoother than an inductive range because the thermal mass of the electric coils is enough to buffer the highs and lows a bit.

If you toss a metal plate onto an inductive stovetop, you'll effectively have a standard electrical range except that you'll probably see lower efficiency and and the plate should be more uniform in heating than the coil. It may work better, though, if you tailor the plate to the size of the pot. It should also be significantly easier to clean than a coil electric range.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I bought some reduced mole from a local Mexican grocer they made in house (instructions are to add stock at a ratio of 3:1) and I forgot to ask about storage. I understand there's a lot of unknowns here, but should I anticipate this surviving a while in the fridge? Would it hold up in a freezer?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Bit of a random one but does anyone have a recommendation for a decent nonstick pot that is good for cooking rice on the hob? I'm in the UK. I don't really know what makes a good rice-specific pot but I'd like to find one. Preferably one that could also go in the oven but I'm not sure nonstick can do that? I'm not after a rice cooker.

Nonstick is not necessarily a problem in the oven (up to a certain temperature); nonstick baking pans (made using fluoropolymers) aren't a problem!. The question for pots is the handle and the lid. For example, a plastic handle that can't be removed won't work, but an all metal handle and all metal lid might be fine. Just look for something that explicitly says is oven safe if you want that.

For a rice pot you're looking for a good lid and probably nothing too thin. Rice can foam up so choose a lid that will be easy to clean. Hot spots from a very thin pan would be bad since you might scorch some of the rice. Having a tighter lid is better, but not necessary; as long as it covers you can tweak your cooking to accommodate it. I just picked up the cheapest one I could at my local grocery store and it's worked fine.

To cook the rice all you need to do is figure out how much water evaporates during the cooking time. Cook's illustrated did a test where the cooked rice sous vide so that no water evaporated and found that a ratio of 1:1 rice:water gives nicely cooked rice. So if you start off with a 1:1 ratio, add enough water for the evaporation, and are consistent with your heat settings you should end up with good rice. If you've successfully cooked rice on the stove before you can do the same, but the evaporation with a new pot may be slightly different so you'd need to tweak the water by a tablespoon or two.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

I bought some reduced mole from a local Mexican grocer they made in house (instructions are to add stock at a ratio of 3:1) and I forgot to ask about storage. I understand there's a lot of unknowns here, but should I anticipate this surviving a while in the fridge? Would it hold up in a freezer?

freezing is fine and good

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Eeyo posted:

an all metal handle and all metal lid might be fine. Just look for something that explicitly says is oven safe if you want that.

For a rice pot you're looking for a good lid and probably nothing too thin.
With these in mind I opted for just getting an enamel coated cast iron pot in the right size. I figured it'd be good for rice but would also be a good pot to have more generally. My partner and I have had the same set of lovely, low-end pots and pans since we moved in together, and they came to uni with me before that, so the idea is to get better things now we are Proper Adults. But poo poo's expensive, so I'm starting with a Christmas gift of a durable pot! Thanks for helping me solidify what I was after.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

I've been making these brandied cranberries recently and I think they are quite good.
http://www.katestylepetite.com/brandied-cranberries/

The question is, based on this recipe and goon knowledge would they be fine being jarred and shipped for up to a few days without refrigeration safely as Xmas gifts?

They really seem to last fine refrigerated at my place and I am guessing they would be fine, but I don't want to accidentally give my friends and family some nasty food borne disease for Xmas.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I'm no expert but they're in sugar syrup and booze, I can't see much potential for anything nasty.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’d like to make a thick dip for carrots and celery that incorporates some miso paste and sambal olek I’ve got in the fridge. What’s a good way to do this?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

I’d like to make a thick dip for carrots and celery that incorporates some miso paste and sambal olek I’ve got in the fridge. What’s a good way to do this?

I’d try for some variation on like bumbu kacang or like satay sauce

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I tried stirring them all together with peanut butter and it was a little disappointing. I can try a smoother peanut butter for a different effect

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Anyone have an orange sauce recipe they like (to go with duck)?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Following up on the induction talk, are there any caveats to cooking like that I should know about? I'm also getting a induction range for my new place later this year and if this is a mistake, I'd like to know now. (Gas ranges are prohibited, mind you.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Is there a slow cooker/crock pot thread? I looked and did not find one.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Argue posted:

Following up on the induction talk, are there any caveats to cooking like that I should know about? I'm also getting a induction range for my new place later this year and if this is a mistake, I'd like to know now. (Gas ranges are prohibited, mind you.)

If you have a stovetop pressure cooker I've heard the way that induction cooktops heat up pots can mess with them

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Spaceguns posted:

I've been making these brandied cranberries recently and I think they are quite good.
http://www.katestylepetite.com/brandied-cranberries/

The question is, based on this recipe and goon knowledge would they be fine being jarred and shipped for up to a few days without refrigeration safely as Xmas gifts?

They really seem to last fine refrigerated at my place and I am guessing they would be fine, but I don't want to accidentally give my friends and family some nasty food borne disease for Xmas.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's not clear from your post: Are you planning on heat process canning them, or just jarring them? If the former, I think you're totally in the clear. You're probably safe either way given the alcohol and the acidity of cranberries, but if it were me, I'd definitely hot bath process those bad boys to be on the safe side and make them shelf stable.

Great looking recipe, might have to try it myself!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

If you have a stovetop pressure cooker I've heard the way that induction cooktops heat up pots can mess with them
Oh good, another piece of cookware we get to throw out :v:

That's probably the largest and a well known caveat but I'd say even if you think your pots and pans are induction suitable, like if you're 100% sure, do the magnet test, cause we were 100% sure.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Calling bullshit on this. I set my induction to 250 after hitting pressure with a KR and am able to just walk away like an electric.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

El_Elegante posted:

I tried stirring them all together with peanut butter and it was a little disappointing. I can try a smoother peanut butter for a different effect

Keep the peanut butter and add soy sauce, a little sesame oil, garlic and ginger and use a blender to mix it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The way we used to do satay sauce was this:

peanut butter
kecap manis
sambal oelek
ginger syrup (or powder)
cumin powder
lemon juice or vinegar
brown sugar
milk or water
coconut milk
diced onion
crushed garlic

Sweat down the onion and garlic in some oil then add the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've got a thin-cut rib-eye steak that wasn't used for the breakfast that was intended and I want to make a taco or 2 out of it.

I've got:

Tortillas
Yellow onion
Celery
Carrots
Cucumber
Buncha canned poo poo like stewed tomatoes, campbells soups, beef broth, ect... -
tons of dry spices
Oranges
Grapefruit
Apples
chocolate cake?
veg and olive oil

Getting groceries delivered is fun

Whats a good way to mash some of this up to make me tacos?