Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't forget the headbutts!

Some nerd: "Blah blah blah I'm a dork blah blah..."
Femshep: *headbutt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"I've got nothing more to say to you"

"How about goodbye?"

*throws some dude out the window of a skyscraper to his unambiguous death*

----

*cheery* "You're working too hard"

*casually tasers a mechanic to death*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was it Fable that gradually made your character look more angelic or demonic depending on your moral choices? That was a good system. I think there was even gear you could only use if you were evil/good enough.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Alpha Protocol is still the king of game protagonist rear end in a top hat simulators.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Adam from Deus Ex is kind of a dick no matter what dialog choices you make

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was it Fable that gradually made your character look more angelic or demonic depending on your moral choices? That was a good system. I think there was even gear you could only use if you were evil/good enough.

I know fable has some stupid system where if you used magic it caused your character to age faster to the point where the PC's childhood friend looked to be in the mid-twenties while the PC them self looked like Gandalf.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Vakal posted:

I know fable has some stupid system where if you used magic it caused your character to age faster to the point where the PC's childhood friend looked to be in the mid-twenties while the PC them self looked like Gandalf.

IIRC it also made like, magic sparkles float around you or something. I know physical combat buffed you up and magic made you skinny, can't remember about the aging part.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Vakal posted:

Alpha Protocol is still the king of game protagonist rear end in a top hat simulators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsU-0iCj7RQ

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vakal posted:

Alpha Protocol was two games fused together into one unholy union, and one of those games was very very good and the other was very very bad.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the last of us loving sucks and the last good game made by naughty dog was the crash bandicot series

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DoctorGonzo posted:

the last of us loving sucks and the last good game made by naughty dog was the crash bandicot series

crash team racing to be specific

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Alpha Protocol is yet another game that woulda been better as a visual novel

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The resistance series is the most wonderful fps series of the ps3 era, possibly at all

Maybe not unpopular but definitely undervoicee

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Furia posted:

The resistance series is the most wonderful fps series of the ps3 era, possibly at all

Maybe not unpopular but definitely undervoicee

One good game, one ok game, and one game i dont even think the developers remember making. Checks out.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Resistance was ok, but just kind of got buried under all the Gears of War and Killzone games coming out at the same time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vakal posted:

Resistance was ok, but just kind of got buried under all the Gears of War and Killzone games coming out at the same time.

Resistance is a fairly uncompelling single player game, but an incredibly good same-screen co-op game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IIRC it also made like, magic sparkles float around you or something. I know physical combat buffed you up and magic made you skinny, can't remember about the aging part.

agility made you tall, physical made you huge, and magic gave you glowing tattoos.

each level you put into a skill was worth the same number of years-in-age, but because the glowing runes weren't really visible until you had put like 40 or 50 ranks into spells, you basically wouldn't see any difference at all until your fable man was a billion years old

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Goldeneye’s single player campaign was really really good and was just overshadowed because the multiplayer was so revolutionary.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vakal posted:

pistols in alpha protocol were overpowered as hell and it was amazing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poisonpill posted:

Goldeneye’s single player campaign was really really good and was just overshadowed because the multiplayer was so revolutionary.

It's compounded by the fact that multiplayer Goldeneye can still be fun but why the gently caress would you ever subject yourself to the single player in this day and age

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

bradzilla posted:

Super Smash Bros is bad.

It's a fun enough party game for pals but when people treat it like it's a legit fighting game it's a truly laugh out loud moment.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

piratepilates posted:

pistols in alpha protocol were overpowered as hell and it was amazing
pistols were amazing because they let you skip the worst of the gameplay, not because they were good gameplay

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

bradzilla posted:

Whittleton Creek sucks poo poo. All the other levels are gold.

how do you feel about the suburban level from blood money?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

G-III posted:

It's a fun enough party game for pals but when people treat it like it's a legit fighting game it's a truly laugh out loud moment.

smash bros melee was the ultimate "i have four friends who want to smoke weed and a tiny tv so i don't want split screens" game. we would play with items off and i would get high and watch youtube videos about how to like wave dash and poo poo. there was definitely a solid two month period heavily inspired by weed where i do nothing all day but wake up at 1pm, get high and try to bunny-hop in cs source until my friends would get out of class, drink and get high and try to wavedash with luigi until like 3 am, repeat. to be honest actually playing those games to win was pretty boring and i have no idea why anyone would do it, and it really sucks that games these days are better programmed.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

smash bros melee was the ultimate "i have four friends who want to smoke weed and a tiny tv so i don't want split screens" game. we would play with items off and i would get high and watch youtube videos about how to like wave dash and poo poo. there was definitely a solid two month period heavily inspired by weed where i do nothing all day but wake up at 1pm, get high and try to bunny-hop in cs source until my friends would get out of class, drink and get high and try to wavedash with luigi until like 3 am, repeat. to be honest actually playing those games to win was pretty boring and i have no idea why anyone would do it, and it really sucks that games these days are better programmed.

Smash Bros was the game we would find an empty classroom with a TV in to play during high school, but the real cool nerds were friends with the one dude who had the Gamecube with the tiny add-on screen attachment so we could crowd around a 5.6" screen in the hallway

e: holy poo poo I just realize 5.6" is basically the average cell phone screen size now so all you yungins imagine trying to play 4-person Brawl on your iPhone XL or whatever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's compounded by the fact that multiplayer Goldeneye can still be fun but why the gently caress would you ever subject yourself to the single player in this day and age

why would you play goldeneye multiplayer when Timesplitters exists

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

why would you play goldeneye multiplayer when Perfect Dark exists

I dunno man I have weird friends

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rutibex posted:

why would you play goldeneye multiplayer when Timesplitters exists

Why would you play either of those? They're old and lovely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpazmasterX posted:

Why would you play either of those? They're old and lovely.

time splitters doesn't have any micro transactions, rank-ups, cosmetic DLC, loot boxes or experience points.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

time splitters doesn't have any micro transactions, rank-ups, cosmetic DLC, loot boxes or experience points.

My man there's a bunch of legit reasons Timesplitters is still fun and this weakass argument doesn't touch any of them

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My man there's a bunch of legit reasons Timesplitters is still fun and this weakass argument doesn't touch any of them

:shrug:
i think it does. all of the stuff that makes Timesplitters great (lots of cool unique guns, dozens of interesting characters to play as, tons of fun multiplayer modes and maps, etc) is the kind of poo poo a modern FPS will nickle and dime you for

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poisonpill posted:

Funny thing is that you can really tell the levels that were hastily converted from when the game was originally a rail shooter

That a literal train is one may be too on the nose

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Perfect Dark owns so hard.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
unpopular videogame opinion: close this thread cuz it's the same chucklefucks arguing with everyone to defend their personal tastes

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
and their personal tastes are terrible

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Vakal posted:

Resistance 3 is a fantastic FPS shooter and that it didn't sell well did a disservice to the console fps genre which is still full games with boring weapons that you can only carry 2 at a time.

You can shoot a guy with a gloop gun and the gloop makes his eyes pop out of his head, why would I want to use bullet gun after that?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Perfect Dark owns so hard.

Unpopular opinion: Last half of the single player was kinda bad, the aliens sucked and Goldeneye's single player was better.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 7, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flannelette posted:

Unpopular opinion: Last half of the single player was kinda bad, the aliens sucked and Goldeneye's single player was better.

maybe, but perfect dark had a multiplayer mode where the second player could control the NPCs in the single player campaign. this mode rules so much it makes up for any other shortcomings

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rutibex posted:

maybe, but perfect dark had a multiplayer mode where the second player could control the NPCs in the single player campaign. this mode rules so much it makes up for any other shortcomings

No one ever copies this or tries to expand on it and it's confusing, my friend played counter-ops mode maybe 2 times nearly 20 years ago and he still never misses an opportunity to bring it up and complain that its not in the game we're playing so there's obviously some kind of niche to be filled. I want it for a hitman multiplayer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flannelette posted:

Resistance 3 is a fantastic FPS shooter and that it didn't sell well did a disservice to the console fps genre which is still full games with boring weapons that you can only carry 2 at a time.

You can shoot a guy with a gloop gun and the gloop makes his eyes pop out of his head, why would I want to use bullet gun after that?

Why is it always 2 and exactly 2 guns at a time

Not usually a problem until a pistol takes the place of a rocket launcher, which it always does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

and their personal tastes are terrible

If you'd stop posting here then that'd solve the problem