Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SRQ posted:

what is this product

andromeda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
aka courier 2.0

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

aka courier 2.0

You might even call it Courier New?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
there's a whole family of theoretical dual screen devices that no one will ever buy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there'll be a whole generation of expensive gimmick hardware released after samsung launches their foldable chunky-boi.

it will be exactly as pointless and gimmicky as it seems now, but tens of people will buy them, and complain bitterly when they're quietly abandoned

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fiedler posted:

there's a whole family of theoretical dual screen devices that no one will ever buy

Like: mobile devices with two screens in a clamshell like a TNG tricorder?

Why would anyone think this was a good idea?

:psyduck:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

there'll be a whole generation of expensive gimmick hardware released after samsung launches their foldable chunky-boi.

it will be exactly as pointless and gimmicky as it seems now, but tens of people will buy them, and complain bitterly when they're quietly abandoned
foldable computers are one of those nerd shibboleths that never go away no matter how spectacularly they fail in the marketplace

see also: dockable computers (plug your cellphone into your monitor and hey presto its a pc!) and modular phones (phoneblocks, project ara, etc)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

foldable computers are one of those nerd shibboleths

i don't think they are that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

foldable computers are one of those nerd shibboleths that never go away no matter how spectacularly they fail in the marketplace

see also: dockable computers (plug your cellphone into your monitor and hey presto its a pc!) and modular phones (phoneblocks, project ara, etc)

I just realized that it's because they resemble a Tricorder from :techno:, isn't it?

I mean, the PAAD ended up being a "win" but that doesn't mean we should go out and make a bunch of hanguns that resemble Type 2 Phasers, you know?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Schadenboner posted:

Like: mobile devices with two screens in a clamshell like a TNG tricorder?

Why would anyone think this was a good idea?

:psyduck:

it's like a TNG tricorder

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i don't think they are that
i dunno, i just see nerds go ooooh and aaaah every time one gets announced or hinted at. i remember the tears they wept over the microsoft courier (despite it being never being anything more than a demo render that was years away from ever being a shippable product)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's not what shibboleth means

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

that's not what shibboleth means

It's one of those designs that just won't go away no matter how many times actual UX people go "this is a loving stupid idea" or how many times regular people :effort: them?

:confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its more like if nerds keep making lovely foldable displays, captain kirk will show up in his starship and give them cargo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

i dunno, i just see nerds go ooooh and aaaah every time one gets announced or hinted at. i remember the tears they wept over the microsoft courier (despite it being never being anything more than a demo render that was years away from ever being a shippable product)

it also looked like total dogshit, their sizzle reel was entirely “you can use the two screens to copy paste”

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah ok I'm proud of this one

https://twitter.com/md_jubes/status/1070714017302396928?s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

it also looked like total dogshit, their sizzle reel was entirely “you can use the two screens to copy paste”

their sizzle reel was "onenote, but magic", which was compelling and wholly unrealistic

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Krankenstyle posted:

its more like if nerds keep making lovely foldable displays, captain kirk will show up in his starship and give a :dong:-ride

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I thought they already had

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

akadajet posted:

I thought they already had

corpse is in the trunk

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you get more can you build them up into other shapes?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mystes posted:

If you get more can you build them up into other shapes?

sure, let's say you can

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Edge is chome now lol

quote:

Menu

DECEMBER 6, 2018 09:00 AM

Microsoft Edge: Making the web better through more open source collaboration

Joe Belfiore

For the past few years, Microsoft has meaningfully increased participation in the open source software (OSS) community, becoming one of the world’s largest supporters of OSS projects. Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation of the web for all web developers.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/12/06/microsoft-edge-making-the-web-better-through-more-open-source-collaboration/

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:rip:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:chome:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Thank god, the web didn't need Trident 2.0

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Someone better go check on shaggar

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

finally, a browser that combines the gigantic memory leaks of chrome with the inevitable gaping security vulnerabilities of IE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

looking forward to republican shagger constantly saying chome is the best, fastest browser

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

finally, a browser that combines the gigantic memory leaks of chrome with the inevitable gaping security vulnerabilities of IE

don't stop

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

post/name combo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I'm Edgeing here.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is today the day that ie died?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
F

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Microsoft ... goood?!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lambert posted:

Microsoft ... goood?!

not even close

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lambert posted:

Chromium ... god?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
For the past few years, Microsoft has meaningfully increased participation in the open source software (OSS) community, becoming one of the world’s largest supporters of OSS projects. Today we’re announcing that we intend to adopt the Linux open source project in the development of Microsoft Windows on the desktop to create better operating system compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation for all desktop developers.