Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Lawnie posted:

I wasn’t sure if it was an exclusive or inclusive rule, if that makes sense. Does it mean only green, or must include green? I guess that might sound stupid but I don’t think it’s the dumbest thing to be confused about. I mean, I asked “can I target this with assassin’s trophy” and was told “no.”
I suppose anyone can get a ruling wrong at any point, but this is the first Gatherer ruling on Gaea’s Revenge: “If a spell is one or more colors, and one of those colors is green, that spell can target Gaea's Revenge.
2015-06-22, Gatherer Rulings”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

standard.deviant posted:

I suppose anyone can get a ruling wrong at any point, but this is the first Gatherer ruling on Gaea’s Revenge: “If a spell is one or more colors, and one of those colors is green, that spell can target Gaea's Revenge.
2015-06-22, Gatherer Rulings”

Yeah, the judge and folks sitting around me got it wrong.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah fair point. I'm thinking of boarding at least 1 of the spellbombs and putting a decay in the main for the rptq tomorrow, since it's a more unknown field.

How have you felt about the maindeck Kalitas? I had it for a while and never drew it enough to be in love, although it's amazing some games so I still sideboarded it. Seems to be 50/50 online whether it's main, and I do like that it's one less expensive spell for Bob to flip.

I think the kalitas is a no-brainer. Great blocker, great against dredge, you have tons of ways to get value from it with your removal. I’ve never regretted having it in there.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

So I haven't played since August 2017, but am kind of feeling the itch again. I currently have UW control from pre-JtmS unbanning, Mono U Merfolk, Grixis DS, and U Tron built.

Can someone give me the rundown on what I'll need to look at to update my decks? I am completely out of the loop on new releases. I understand that UW Control is good now, but that I'll need to update it, Merfolk has spashed green, Grixis DS is still playable but not the monster everyone was yelling about, and that U Tron is still bad. Anything more specific? Can't find any recent fish lists, but heard that all blue tempo players jumped to spirits.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mef989 posted:

So I haven't played since August 2017, but am kind of feeling the itch again. I currently have UW control from pre-JtmS unbanning, Mono U Merfolk, Grixis DS, and U Tron built.

Can someone give me the rundown on what I'll need to look at to update my decks? I am completely out of the loop on new releases. I understand that UW Control is good now, but that I'll need to update it, Merfolk has spashed green, Grixis DS is still playable but not the monster everyone was yelling about, and that U Tron is still bad. Anything more specific? Can't find any recent fish lists, but heard that all blue tempo players jumped to spirits.

I think the only deck among those that got any major update was UW Control, which now runs JtMS and Teferi, Hero of Dominaria. The rest of those haven't changed much in the last year or so if at all, though Merfolk has a couple of cheap new cards you can try (mostly Merfolk Trickster). You definitely don't need G to run Merfolk but I hope you picked up all of your Phantasmal Images already!

VV Oh yeah Search is real good, but should be easier to pick up than either 'walker I mentioned

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 7, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Don't forget Search for Azcanta as well.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
GDS hasn’t gotten any new cards but current builds are usually heavier red than before with the full grip of bolts over push, a couple lootings, and more maindecked battle rages.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Mef989 posted:

and that U Tron is still bad.

Blue Tron is beautiful and perfect, I will have you know.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mef989 posted:

i don't remember when this ban actually happened but make sure you don't have git probes in your death's shadow list

a funny piece of technology I've seen pop up is the card Mausoleum Secrets, which is typically just more copies of Death's Shadow, but can really easily 2- and 3-mana interaction in Grixis since you have snapcasters which will likely be doing some chump blocking.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i don't remember when this ban actually happened but make sure you don't have git probes in your death's shadow list

a funny piece of technology I've seen pop up is the card Mausoleum Secrets, which is typically just more copies of Death's Shadow, but can really easily 2- and 3-mana interaction in Grixis since you have snapcasters which will likely be doing some chump blocking.

Probe ban happened before the deck became anything more than a fringe thread on mtgsalvation and it kills me because all the pieces were there since khans block and goddamn would probe be even more stupid in that deck.

Also mausoleum secrets seems cute and probably isn’t good but we all know that already.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Pontius Pilate posted:

Probe ban happened before the deck became anything more than a fringe thread on mtgsalvation and it kills me because all the pieces were there since khans block and goddamn would probe be even more stupid in that deck.

Also mausoleum secrets seems cute and probably isn’t good but we all know that already.

4c Suicide zoo was a tier 1 deck for a few months until the probe ban though. I enjoyed actually playing stepp lynx.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tell me why this Bant Humans list is good and/or bad-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-bant-humans#paper

Basically dropping Rider, Freebooter and Thalia for CoCo, Quellers, and more Buglers/Reflectors (along with a slightly less awkward mana base).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Tell me why this Bant Humans list is good and/or bad-
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-bant-humans#paper

Basically dropping Rider, Freebooter and Thalia for CoCo, Quellers, and more Buglers/Reflectors (along with a slightly less awkward mana base).

You're giving up a shitload of percentage points vs. combo in the form of your disruption and the quickest clock in your deck to win grindier games.

It'll win the mirror on grinds every time but it's a lot slower and there's a definite downside to that.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I don't know why one would drop Thalia.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're giving up a shitload of percentage points vs. combo in the form of your disruption and the quickest clock in your deck to win grindier games.

It'll win the mirror on grinds every time but it's a lot slower and there's a definite downside to that.

This was my impression as well- a much slower version but having additional "creature selection" with Buglers and CoCo lets it stick around longer. Wish I had filled out my playset of Images when they were still $5 :sad:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I don't know why one would drop Thalia.

Agreed. There might be something to the bant version but not running Thalia seems insane especially when you’re cutting a lot of your disruption.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Going into a legacy tournament with no idea on the meta, would you rather run A) U/R delver, a complete list of basically any build from wasteland/stifle builds to goblin guide sligh builds with complete sb B) Sneak and Show, but without access city of traitors or intuition, and not an ideal sideboard C) Solidarity, complete in all it's glory, or D) Breakfast Burrito, mostly for giggles?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

C) Solidarity, complete in all it's glory

:cmon:

But play a Steam Vents and a sideboard Expansion // Explosion

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

:cmon:

I don't have any, but in a pinch, I've got Volcanics

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 14, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I don't have any, but in a pinch, I've got Volcanics

It's suboptimal but I guess.

Here's my list I've been trying. I'm still not sure the AKs are better than Opts.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It's suboptimal but I guess.

Here's my list I've been trying. I'm still not sure the AKs are better than Opts.

I really like AK with Mission briefing, it's a part of what makes me want to put the deck back together. I just like AK in general, to be honest, though it may not be good, I haven't played with it in years.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

mods?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I assume the idea is that you get to make RR off of Turnabout effects

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

I assume the idea is that you get to make RR off of Turnabout effects

Don't mind him. He's still mad about the Mindbreak Trap.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

speaking of Solidarity, just saw a spoiler for this card in the next set:

Growth Spiral
UG
Instant
Draw a card. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Throw a trop or two into Solidarity and this card is... pretty nuts, right? the trops even let you do stuff like cast hunting pack

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Growth Spiral
UG
Instant

Throw a trop or two into Solidarity and this card is... pretty nuts, right? the trops even let you do stuff like cast hunting pack

Without a High Tide already active it’s a blind cantrip in a combo deck and that’s a sketchy proposition.

It’s not much different than suggesting they run Volcanics for Manamorphose.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Growth Spiral
UG
Instant

I had the same thought. It seems ok but I kinda feel like you're committing to at least 2 Trops. The real problem is now you're going to be losing games that you shouldn't be to Wasteland. Whether that's worth the tradeoff is hard to say without testing that I'm not going to do.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Without a High Tide already active it’s a blind cantrip in a combo deck and that’s a sketchy proposition.

It’s not much different than suggesting they run Volcanics for Manamorphose.

The entire point of the deck is to live long enough to get like 4-5 lands into play and go off. This helps get to that point and also helps while you're going off by being mana neutral at worst most of the time. It also lets you play Hunting Pack, which is the only realistic way to successfully go off on turn 2. It's a lot better than Manamorphose. This potentially gives you dozens of mana over the game. Manamorphose gives you 2. How is that even remotely close?

It's still bad because Solidarity is inherently weak to 3 of the 4 "pillars" of the format.
midrange discard piles
Chalice piles
half the store playing Death and Taxes even though it's unplayable because it's the only legacy deck anyone can afford that legacy has become

And it's not even that good against Miracles thanks to Counterbalance.

It's great against UW Cards I Own as long as you have more than 2 lands in your top 20 cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
3-0 with Mill tonight for first place at FNM suck my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
1 Bloodstained Mire
3 Darkslick Shores
4 Field of Ruin
1 Flooded Strand
3 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
4 Polluted Delta
1 Shelldock Isle
2 Swamp
2 Watery Grave
4 Archive Trap
2 Collective Brutality
2 Crypt Incursion
2 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Fatal Push
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Hedron Crab
4 Mesmeric Orb
4 Mission Briefing
1 Murderous Cut
3 Surgical Extraction
4 Visions of Beyond
//Sideboard
1 Collective Brutality
1 Crypt Incursion
1 Damnation
2 Dismember
2 Echoing Truth
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
1 Ravenous Trap
2 Set Adrift
1 Surgical Extraction

Pretty close to the list that Jason Chung popularized, though I put the 2 mainboard IoK in the sideboard to go up to 4 Push and 4 Orb since Push is pretty good in my meta. Tweaked the lands a little bit too, Shelldock has always felt awkward to me so I turned one into a Darkslick Shores.
Round 1 was against UR Phoenix where I was able to Surgical his Phoenixes pretty quickly both games, and faded Crackling Drake which would have hosed me up. Round 2 was against Jeskai Saheeli where I killed him mega-quick game 1 off of 2x Crab and 2x Trap, then came up two cards short of milling him game 2 (think I had a misplay where I dropped Bridge a turn earlier than I needed to rather than doing Field + Trap), then killed him quick in game 3 off of 2x Crab. Round 3 was against Humans where I hid behind Bridge and Crab game 1, got stomped game 2, and hid behind Bridge and Crab again game 3 where I was able to bait out a Renegade using Orb and kill it before dropping Bridge. First time with an undisputed victory in at least a year :toot:

It's been a while since I'v played the deck but it felt super-sweet in this form, and Briefing gives you some fun tricks like double-casting Archive Traps. My only gripe is that it really needs a lot of colored mana so I don't know if 4 Field of Ruin is correct, though Field does fix your mana and give you some more Crab value. Picked up another Bridge and two Extirpates with some credit which will replace Ravenous Trap, a Dismember, and an Echoing Truth in the board.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I played against that deck yesterday as U Tron and lost even when I resolved Commit // Memory twice as Memory to get my entire library back :(

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

angel opportunity posted:

I played against that deck yesterday as U Tron and lost

This goes without saying. Even without knowing what deck it was.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 14, 2019

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

How do you feel about cutting the Crop Rotation for 4th Force/and, or/Daze in Infect?

Sorry, in paper against a ton of Delver, and 1 Eldrazi Stompy player that keeps dominating :colbert:

Into the Ocean fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 14, 2019

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

There's an Infect deck in Legacy? :v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

There's an Infect deck in Legacy? :v:

Yes? It's been a solidly tier 2ish deck for quite some time. It's a lot like the Modern deck, except with better pump spells and free counterspells.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Into the Ocean posted:

How do you feel about cutting the Crop Rotation for 4th Force/and, or/Daze in Infect?

Sorry, in paper against a ton of Delver, and 1 Eldrazi Stompy player that keeps dominating :colbert:

This is the list I played at Eternal Weekend. I only did side events this year, but the deck itself performed well:

2 Become Immense
4 Glistener Elf
4 Blighted Agent
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Spell Pierce
3 Vines of Vastwood
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Verdant Catacombs
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Ponder
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Windswept Heath
1 Forest
4 Daze
4 Brainstorm
4 Invigorate
1 Crop Rotation
1 Wasteland
3 Force of Will
1 Pendelhaven
1 Sylvan Library
2 Berserk
4 Tropical Island

Sideboard
1 Dissenter's Deliverance
2 Flusterstorm
1 Dismember
1 Tezzeret's Gambit
1 Viridian Corrupter
1 Necropede
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Krosan Grip
1 Pithing Needle
1 Naturalize
1 Crop Rotation
1 Force of Will
1 Hydroblast
1 Karakas

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Trying to pick a deck for Memphis (just Legacy side events). I play like 98% limited, but I have the following options:

1. UB Omni-show. Looks fun. Would need to pick up a few cards (4 Cunning wish, a couple other 5/10$ cards). https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20902&d=338373&f=LE
2. UR Sneak and Show. I have most of the deck, but only 1 City of Traitors (I would just run 4x Ancient Tomb), and only 1 (maybe 2...) Volcanics.
3. BR Reanimator. Played this at the last side event.
4. Storm
5. UW(B?) Stoneblade. I have the least practice (goldfishing) with this deck.
6. Burn
7. Merfolk

Was thinking about Omni-show, b/c its kinda fun. Should note that my collection is limited in that I have 2x Seas, 2x Tundras, 2x Badlands, and 1x of all other duals.

Thoughts?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

logis posted:

Trying to pick a deck for Memphis (just Legacy side events). I play like 98% limited, but I have the following options:

1. UB Omni-show. Looks fun. Would need to pick up a few cards (4 Cunning wish, a couple other 5/10$ cards). https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20902&d=338373&f=LE
2. UR Sneak and Show. I have most of the deck, but only 1 City of Traitors (I would just run 4x Ancient Tomb), and only 1 (maybe 2...) Volcanics.
3. BR Reanimator. Played this at the last side event.
4. Storm
5. UW(B?) Stoneblade. I have the least practice (goldfishing) with this deck.
6. Burn
7. Merfolk

Was thinking about Omni-show, b/c its kinda fun. Should note that my collection is limited in that I have 2x Seas, 2x Tundras, 2x Badlands, and 1x of all other duals.

Thoughts?

Merfolk, Burn, and Storm are unplayably bad. Stoneblade with back to basics is good. There's lots of discard running around right now which UB Omni-show is pretty resilient against due to Baleful Strix. Regular sneak and show has no way to defend itself and certainly doesn't have anything as powerful as lim-dul's vault to get the thing it needs after its hand gets torn apart and the black lets you be way more proactive. i mean intuition is "as powerful" but in the land of no Deathrite Shamans, there are lots of snapcasters and surgicals

i have no idea why that deck is playing firemind's foresight, btw. you USED to do it in the dream halls version because then cunning wish + blue card won the game because you could cast the wish, get foresight, pitch the blue card to cast it, grab intuition, impulse, whatever, pitch impulse to intuition, get three enter the infinite, pitch 1 mana blue card to cast enter the infinite. without dream halls that doesn't work and if you're counting on having omniscience + cunning wish, just cunning wish for the eladamri's call or your wipe away or whatever you need. the release the ants is also dubious since you have to bstorm an emrakul on top of your deck but it's less bad than foresight.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Merfolk, Burn, and Storm are unplayably bad. Stoneblade with back to basics is good. There's lots of discard running around right now which UB Omni-show is pretty resilient against due to Baleful Strix. Regular sneak and show has no way to defend itself and certainly doesn't have anything as powerful as lim-dul's vault to get the thing it needs after its hand gets torn apart and the black lets you be way more proactive. i mean intuition is "as powerful" but in the land of no Deathrite Shamans, there are lots of snapcasters and surgicals

i have no idea why that deck is playing firemind's foresight, btw. you USED to do it in the dream halls version because then cunning wish + blue card won the game because you could cast the wish, get foresight, pitch the blue card to cast it, grab intuition, impulse, whatever, pitch impulse to intuition, get three enter the infinite, pitch 1 mana blue card to cast enter the infinite. without dream halls that doesn't work and if you're counting on having omniscience + cunning wish, just cunning wish for the eladamri's call or your wipe away or whatever you need. the release the ants is also dubious since you have to bstorm an emrakul on top of your deck but it's less bad than foresight.

So I'm new to the deck, but if we assume that we were able to combo (i.e. opponent has no interaction / counterspells) AND we assume we're at like 13 life, then we can
< not usually a safe line >
1. wish for Firemind's
2. Grab brainstorm, lim-dul's vault, cunning wish
3. wish for ants
4. vault for our whole library <13 life guarantees we find Emrakul; again assume our opponent is a goldfish. Emrakul is probably in the top half of our library, so this is (poor) line even with 6 or so life>

Having played (a proxied version) of the deck, my favorite win has been Combo, cast Emrakul, cast JTMS, bounce Emrakul.

But yes, usually, just
1. grab Call
2. Emrakul
3. eat their 6 permanents

Any other opinion on this deck? Certainly, its more fun than the turn 1 - turn 2 combos of the other decks that I have (UR Sneak, RB Reanimator).

Just looking to have some fun side event action. Not playing a 10+ round tournament.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thank you RNA for enabling more bad decision making from me

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

logis posted:

So I'm new to the deck, but if we assume that we were able to combo (i.e. opponent has no interaction / counterspells) AND we assume we're at like 13 life, then we can
< not usually a safe line >
1. wish for Firemind's
2. Grab brainstorm, lim-dul's vault, cunning wish
3. wish for ants
4. vault for our whole library <13 life guarantees we find Emrakul; again assume our opponent is a goldfish. Emrakul is probably in the top half of our library, so this is (poor) line even with 6 or so life>

Having played (a proxied version) of the deck, my favorite win has been Combo, cast Emrakul, cast JTMS, bounce Emrakul.

But yes, usually, just
1. grab Call
2. Emrakul
3. eat their 6 permanents

Any other opinion on this deck? Certainly, its more fun than the turn 1 - turn 2 combos of the other decks that I have (UR Sneak, RB Reanimator).

Just looking to have some fun side event action. Not playing a 10+ round tournament.

This is correct. In my "monoblue" version, I played a maindeck Split Decision, as it made one Cunning Wish guaranteed game also. You got to Foresight for Cunning Wish, Split Decision, and Brainstorm. Then you could Cunning Wish, copy it, and go get Call and Release the Ants. It was so nice being able to win in response to a trigger or spell.

I toyed with UB some, but it just felt less powerful. I liked having my Impulses and I played 1 Dream Halls in case they took your Show and Tell plan. The deck is a little permission, 11 combo spells, and then cantrip city.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

Is this why I saw Wheel of Fate spiking the other day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Skyl3lazer posted:

I am guessing comet storm is a placeholder for electrodominance?