Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Most of that article is just repeating old gossip. The only real news about DA4 is that there is no actual news. That DA4 is at least several years away is a no brainer since (unless it's been exceptionally well hidden) the game is not in active development.

As for the reboot to incorporate life elements thing. A reboot in development doesn't mean you throw everything away. It generally means you keep the original concept and approach elements differently. We also have no clue what life elements even is. It could be anything from multiplayer, to games-as-service, microtransactions, or just a meaningless corporate buzzword someone overheard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rebooting DA4 purely to add more microtransactions sounds uniquely scummy until you remember that even in the first Dragon Age there was a questgiver who sat in your camp all game with an exclamation point above his head until you paid money for the DLC lmaooo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Wowser, Mike Laidlaw is joining Ubisoft Quebec for their next project, the same studio behind Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I guess AC really is gonna be the future home of Bioware RPG fans now.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dragon Age just got a very short teaser, with a Solas voice over from Trespasser.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1070884604620361728

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
http://blog.bioware.com/2018/12/06/thedreadwolfrises/

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw3lrXlti-8
Here's the YouTube link.

Apparently that's the idol Hawke finds in the second game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just hope they're smart enough to jettison the open world bullshit that's been such a scourge on RPGs lately.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I just hope they're smart enough to jettison the open world bullshit that's been such a scourge on RPGs lately.

1000x this. BioWare tried something new and it failed miserably. They need to go back to what made them so beloved.

Nobody loving liked KOTOR for its lovely little dungeons but they still loved it. It's why I never had a problem with DA2. Dungeons are not why I am a BW fan. Give me some great characters, a few little areas to explore, lots of choices, and I'm happy.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That teaser was really cool though. Definitely looking forward to this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NikkolasKing posted:

1000x this. BioWare tried something new and it failed miserably. They need to go back to what made them so beloved.

Nobody loving liked KOTOR for its lovely little dungeons but they still loved it. It's why I never had a problem with DA2. Dungeons are not why I am a BW fan. Give me some great characters, a few little areas to explore, lots of choices, and I'm happy.

I enjoyed the mission design of ME2 and ME3, which was generally pretty good at giving you interesting combat scenarios to deal with.

I'm playing AC: Odyssey, and taking out forts and camps is already getting old because it's the same routine every time.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nichael posted:

That teaser was really cool though. Definitely looking forward to this.

:yeah:

im just glad to get confirmation that dragon age isn't just, flat out dead

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

dmboogie posted:

:yeah:

im just glad to get confirmation that dragon age isn't just, flat out dead

:same:

and that it continues Solas' story and the hooks from the end of Trespasser.
Hopefully it means Tevinter too.
Interesting if that is Varric's red lyrium idol.
Does it mean that red lyrium has something to do with Solas? with the veil coming down? with Tevinter?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DA4 retaining DA:I's art style, as well as following up on the DA2 idol and Solas is great. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted, and even the tiny bit of original music was really good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked messing up the swoop gang hideouts on Taris and no I will not go and play it again, those teenage memories are pristine :colbert:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Here's hoping Bioware doesn't close down in the interim so we can finally kill Fen'harel, goddamn shiny headed bigot. I'm now racist against elves!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Here's hoping Bioware doesn't close down in the interim so we can finally kill Fen'harel, goddamn shiny headed bigot. I'm now racist against elves!

Well they do seem to get worse with each game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nichael posted:

DA4 retaining DA:I's art style, as well as following up on the DA2 idol and Solas is great. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted, and even the tiny bit of original music was really good.

After Trespasser, it's difficult to see how the next DA game could ever not involve Solas, unless it were a prequel.

But I agree so much, I'm very happy about this.

NikkolasKing posted:

I enjoyed dungeon crawling a lot in the Baldur's Gate games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cythereal posted:

I actually really liked the open world design in Inquisition. Every zone was gorgeous and fun to explore. The issue wasn't with the world being open, it was jamming it so full of filler mmo quests while only having a 15 hour main story that sucked. If went the Witcher 3 route of quality AND quantity they could still have large zones with expansive quests lines that maybe change the nature of each zone in some way. Combine the choices/consequences poo poo that Origins did so well and give it a wide space to play in. It could work.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

DA:I should've been smaller and tighter, but the shittier aspects of the open world didn't stop it from being a good game. I should hope Bioware knows what works for them and what doesn't, and takes lessons from DA:I, Andromeda, and Anthem.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The whole 7 things, two of which remain lit up, in a circle around a thing that is cracked seems strongly to support the idea that the Old Gods are actually sealing the Blight in. How the red lyrium idol ties into all of this, and who that other elf is, is another question.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I think Inquisition's open world would've been a lot more tolerable if they had just cut like... four or five of the zones out, and put that work into buffing up the best ones. Did they really need THREE different desert wastelands? Get rid of those, and use that time to make interesting quests.

Also, finally seeing Val Royeaux and just having it be a single hallway was a bigger disappointment than the entirety of Dragon Age II. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The environments in Inquisition were very pretty but if they had just consolidated all the memorable plotlines onto a few select maps instead of spacing them out among all the pointless collectible stuff, it would have been a more solid experience overall. I also think they didn't implement the "you're gathering the single biggest military force in Thedas" gimmick as well as they should have. Building up your military power to construct a new fort or bridge to bypass terrain was a neat concept that only found a couple uses throughout the entire campaign.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is apparently official art?

What's Solas doing???

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Torrannor posted:

This is apparently official art?

What's Solas doing???

It is official art and apparently full of meaning. Note the seven orbs around the lyrium idol, only two of which are lit. Seven Old Gods, two of which remain?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm excited for four but barely remember what happened in Inquisition now, much less the first two.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
There's a debate happening over who the figure in the picture is which is amusing and reminds me of the white-gold vs blue-black dress debate.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm excited for four but barely remember what happened in Inquisition now, much less the first two.
sounds like it's time for another playthrough

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

floofyscorp posted:

It is official art and apparently full of meaning. Note the seven orbs around the lyrium idol, only two of which are lit. Seven Old Gods, two of which remain?

Yeah, Fangz already mentioned that. This seems a pretty good guess. We still don't know the relationship between the Old Gods, the Taint, the Fade, (red) lyrium (which is actually Titan blood), the Black City, and the Evanuris who are presumably imprisoned in the Black City.

To recap: There were, at least to my count, 8 Evanuris. 7 of them killed the eighth one. In response, Fen'Harel created the Veil to lock them away/banish them to the Fade.

Fast forward to Tevinter, where the 7 sleeping Old Gods induce the magisters to break the Veil and travel to the Golden City at the heart of the Fade. They do, but find the Golden City empty and black. From the Black City they bring the Taint back with them to the material world. The Taint corrupts them and a lot of the environment around them, leading to the creation of the darkspawn. The darkspawn also hear the "song" of the Old Gods, compelling them to dig for said Old Gods When they find one of the sleeping Old Gods underground, they taint it and "awaken" it as an Archdemon. And the darkspawn are compelled by the Taint to find the Old Gods. Under the command of an Archdemon, the darkspawn try to conquer the surface, which is called a Blight. A Blight led by an Archdemon is pretty much impossible to defeat, since the Archdemons are incredibly powerful, and even if they're killed, they just get reborn in the nearest darkspawn. Non-tainted life was on the brink of extinction, until the people who would later be called the Grey Wardens found a way to make themselves a kind of darkspawn, but with an intact soul, in contrast to the normal, soulless darkspawn. Which actually makes it possible to defeat Archdemons, since it's soul jumps to the nearest darkspawn upon death. Which will be a Grey Warden if they are killing it, leading to some kind of mutual annihilation, since a body cannot host two souls. Importantly, the Grey Warden ritual uses a combination of (uncorrupted) dragon blood and darkspawn blood, and uses blood magic to slow down the rate of corruption and transformation.

Fast forward to today, where Fen'Harel regrets the creation of the Veil, and want to tear it down. He has "a plan" to deal with the imprisoned Evanuris. He's very much not a friend of the Taint, and sees it as a major threat. He's agnostic about blood magic, not using it himself, but not thinking that it's corrupt at it's root (as long as you use your own blood and not the blood of others of course). He's notably not a fan of the Grey Wardens killing the Archdemons, saying they meddle with things they don't understand.

This leads to the question, why exactly is he so hostile when asked about this? There is a common speculation that the world would be overrun by the darkspawn if they weren't busy digging for Old Gods to corrupt. And the Grey Wardens really don't know what they're doing, it's not even sure the Old God/Archdemon soul is actually destroyed. But what if the Old Gods really are the Evanuris? Would Fen'Harel be sad if they really were annihilated? Or does he know more than he lets on, and their souls aren't destroyed at all? Are they perhaps freed from the Fade, from the prison Fen'Harel banished them to? What is their connection to the Taint again? The Taint apparently came from the Black City, where presumably either the Old Gods, or the Evanuris, or the Old Gods and the Evanuris, or the Old Gods/Evanuris (if they're the same) were imprisoned.

Interestingly enough, it looks like the Lyrium Idol is actually somewhat sealed. It's surrounded by a circle, and the inside of the circle doesn't match the outside. Now, the idol was presumed destroyed after DA2. This could be the idol representing the Taint. But the Taint comes from the Black City, which is sealed within the Fade. And in that fashion, the image of the sealed idol/sealed Taint makes sense. But if the seal represents the Black City, then the 7... things around it surely must have something to do with the Old Gods/Evanuris. The Old Gods are an especially good fit, since 5 of the 7 have been killed, with the two "lights" representing the two alive ones. But this representation doesn't really match how we would imagine the relationship between Old Gods and the Taint. Look at this:

You can see three concentric, glowing rings around the innermost circle. But notably, the "niches" presumably representing the dead Old Gods are dark, and actually interrupt that circle, while the two "niches" representing the live Old Gods are glowing themselves, the same color as the circle. Are the sleeping Old Gods powering the seal? It's also interesting to note that something like red vines seem to seep from the idol out of the circle/seal to the right, where the "niches" don't reinforce (?) the seal. So are the Old gods powering the Veil itself perhaps? We still don't know how the "Dread Wolf held back the Sky". Perhaps that's a reason why Fen'Harel is not happy with the Grey Wardens killing the Archdemons (though it's not quite clear what other choice they had, since letting them live is not an option once a Blight is underway). But if that were true, then the Old Gods almost certainly cannot be the Evanuris. Which still makes it a very suspicious coincidence that there are 7 Evanuris imprisoned in the Fade, and 7 Old Gods imprisoned in the Black City in the heart of the Fade.

Additionally, Solas himself is surrounded by some sort of (protective?) aura in this picture. Everything around him is burning, and there's that huge wolf demon thingy on the right, which actually may or may not represent Solas himself again. But it has red eyes, and somehow seems to be connected to the Taint seeping from the Lyrium Idol, so I believe it's not actually the Dread Wolf himself. On that note, I can't really make out if Solas also has red eyes :ohdear:

There's so much we still don't know, this image is super intriguing. I'm so stoked for DA4. What a contrast to all the doom and gloom from just a week ago.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You guys are weird. I put 200+ hours into Inquisition before beating it, before any DLC came out, and I loved every second of it. I didn't want it to end.
It was everything I hoped it would be. I did every side quest that wasn't bugged.

The "mmo filler" complaints are all completely wrong. Every side quest tells a small story of a minor character or adds to the history of the world.

I never played any of the Witcher games so I'll believe people who say it does all the same things better but DAI is one of the best RPGs I have ever played and I've been playing them since the first Dragon Warrior on NES.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Solas is a lock to return and very likely not a companion, so I'm more curious who else is gonna fill out the roster. Dorian has a good chance of returning, but I don't know if he'll be playable. As much as I love Varric, I think he's more than earned his rest.

If anyone from previous games is gonna return... I kinda want to say Aveline? She's one of the few DA2 companions that is guaranteed to survive, at least.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bring back Loghain so that I can stubbornly refuse to let him die against his own wishes once more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stroop There It Is posted:

sounds like it's time for another playthrough

No....no! I have a life now!!!

e: Really though I'd love to play as my elf mage inquisitor again, that seemed to fit so perfectly. I didn't play the dlc though so I guess an arm fell off or something?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 7, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Really though I'd love to play as my elf mage inquisitor again, that seemed to fit so perfectly. I didn't play the dlc though so I guess an arm fell off or something?

Whoa, at least watch an LP of Trespasser. It's the true ending of DA:I, it shouldn't be missed. Half the things in DA4 will make no sense, it's super critical. And has a surprising amount of filler (namely very little, it's nearly all main plot stuff).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It will never happen, but I hope they minimize references to previous games.

What ever happened to telling good, self-contained stories?

Inquisition champions pretty much every bad game-making and story-telling tendency of Bioware's, in my opinion. I'm not optimistic about DA4.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Elephant Ambush posted:

You guys are weird. I put 200+ hours into Inquisition before beating it, before any DLC came out, and I loved every second of it. I didn't want it to end.
It was everything I hoped it would be. I did every side quest that wasn't bugged.

The "mmo filler" complaints are all completely wrong. Every side quest tells a small story of a minor character or adds to the history of the world.

I never played any of the Witcher games so I'll believe people who say it does all the same things better but DAI is one of the best RPGs I have ever played and I've been playing them since the first Dragon Warrior on NES.
I felt like this too, but the problem with how a lot of the small sidequests and the war table missions connected to the world is that it was mainly through text (e.g. codex entries) and not gameplay. That can fall flat for a lot of people. I didn't mind it--really my only significant disappointment in the game (once Trespasser fixed the ending) was Val Royeaux--but I can see why many people thought it felt empty.

RBA Starblade posted:

Torrannor posted:

Whoa, at least watch an LP of Trespasser. It's the true ending of DA:I, it shouldn't be missed. Half the things in DA4 will make no sense, it's super critical. And has a surprising amount of filler (namely very little, it's nearly all main plot stuff).
Yeah, Trespasser is the real ending to the game. It also adds a ton of fun ability variants and magic items (I think?). The other DLCs are fun but very much optional.

e: vvv don't trust Cullen with anything except picking up rocks
I liked them a lot too but it would have been really cool to have a cutscene or something for the big ones.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 7, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess a lot of people hated the war table missions for whatever reason but I thought they added a ton of flavor to the world. I also liked the idea of the game playing itself while I was away at work and could come back to some crafting supplies, XP or items (usually worthless, but at least it was something). That made it very easy to get back into the game, "let's see what Cullen brought oh cool it's a blue staff well thanks for trying."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yeah, Trespasser is the real ending to the game. It also adds a ton of fun ability variants and magic items (I think?). The other DLCs are fun but very much optional.

I refuse to buy Trespasser because gently caress you put the real ending in the game I already paid for.

Inquisition was such a godawful mess.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ApplesandOranges posted:

Solas is a lock to return and very likely not a companion, so I'm more curious who else is gonna fill out the roster. Dorian has a good chance of returning, but I don't know if he'll be playable. As much as I love Varric, I think he's more than earned his rest.

If anyone from previous games is gonna return... I kinda want to say Aveline? She's one of the few DA2 companions that is guaranteed to survive, at least.

Their pattern so far has been reintroducing a companion from the previous game. Anders from Awakenings, Varric from 2. It's safe to assume that Dorian is likely going to be an important NPC, maybe even helping to establish your base of operations while in Tevinter, as like an extension of the Inquisition. Iron Bull can be alive or dead, and I really doubt they'll take the Leliana retcon approach for him. All companions aside from the initial three (Cassandra, Varric, and Solas) are optional, and while it doesn't mean they can't be in the next one, it would be awkward to write them in for that possibility. Solas obviously isn't going to be a companion, and Cassandra can end up becoming the new Divine. I can't imagine she would be allowed to return to her roots.

So that leaves Varric! Which actually makes sense with the reveal of the red lyrium idol in the video. I did some googling since it's been awhile since I played but there's no mention in the Keep about your red lyrium decision in DA2, and even if you choose to let Varric keep it, he has it sequestered away in a vault that he had specially made to counteract the idol's effects where it can't hurt anyone. Varric is probably the most knowledgeable when it comes to it, especially since your Hawke may or may not be dead depending on your choices and I doubt they would ever bring your Warden, Hawke, or Inquisitor forward in a companion role. He's also your direct and only link to Bianca, who is learning more about it, and I guess is actually more knowledgeable than Varric in that case.

In short: I am a nerd and I welcome my dwarf bro Varric back into my ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I felt like this too, but the problem with how a lot of the small sidequests and the war table missions connected to the world is that it was mainly through text (e.g. codex entries) and not gameplay. That can fall flat for a lot of people. I didn't mind it--really my only significant disappointment in the game (once Trespasser fixed the ending) was Val Royeaux--but I can see why many people thought it felt empty.

e: vvv don't trust Cullen with anything except picking up rocks
I liked them a lot too but it would have been really cool to have a cutscene or something for the big ones.

I'll watch some videos at the least! The only thing I didn't like about DA:I was the incredibly lovely multiplayer. After ME3 that was such a wet fart.