Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Crain posted:

Two things:

1) In 25 days, for the first time since 1998, published works will enter the public domain on January 1, 2019. Due to a provision of the 1998 Copyright Extension Act (Aka Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act), no works were entered into the Public Domain regardless of their expiration status between 1998 and 2019. On January 1st works published in 1923 who's copyright status has expired will be free to use for commercial purposes or whatever, and further works will continue to enter going forward.

Some notable items entering the Public Domain:
-Charlie Chaplin's The Pilgrim
-Cecil B. Demille's The Ten -Commandments
-Churchill's The World Crisis
-Various Felix the Cat shorts
-"The Charleston", the song written to accompany the Charleston dance
-Igor Stravinsky’s “Octet for Wind Instruments”
-Tarzan and the Golden Lion

2) I made a thread about this: The Assassination of The Public Domain by the Coward Mickey Mouse.

(EDIT: I think this is relevant enough to US Politics to post here given the time relevancy, but the thread is to head off a derail.)

gently caress yeah I'm a watch the gently caress out of the ten commandments that movie loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

im confused.. is the fox business show he's quoting the fake news

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070875222205759488
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070877381861277696
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070877666654519297

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Giggy posted:

You ignored the scenario LK presented and (unintentionally?) made a post making it sound like voting is the only political action that matters.

If you're in a position where the best candidate, at best, wants to make minor adjustments to an intolerable status quo, which I would argue describes some Dems, you need to consider things other than voting.

I'm not saying voting doesn't matter.
Nah, voting is the baseline of what can and should be done. So I guess I assumed that if someone isn't voting they've checked out and ain't doing poo poo else either, which may not be true.

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm an economic downturn away from not being able to afford where I live and I worry every day they'll try to deport my dad. I canvassed for two months before the midterms and convinced both my parents to vote.

The problem is not that I am not motivated to help or that I am too privileged to care, the problem is that the Democratic Party is poo poo and this time there's a hard time limit to do something before billions die or are displaced. The world won't end in a blink, you're right. The end will be very slow and very painful and it's not we in the developed world who will bear the brunt of the impact.

But again, you're mad at me, not the senators who want to make the manifestation of coal head of the climate change committee.

I thank you sincerely for the effort. And the Dems are poo poo but the only way to change that is either to vote the poo poo ones out or shame them so bad they live in fear of their constituents. I look to the rookie class and see a glimmer of hope that the Dems can maybe unfuck something before we're all sniffing canned air.

So the question is, and I'm not being a smartass here, if you're not going to vote for marginal change, whats the plan? Are you throwing your hands up? Talking poo poo on a dead comedy website so slobs like me get up and vote? Haranguing your reps in public? Continuing to canvas? Cause like I said above, voting is the baseline, so if you won't do that, you can at least piss off someone that should be pissed off.

And brother I'm loving mad at everyone. Unfortunately I cant call Manchin a loving idiot homunculus so getting pissed at internet weirdos is the only thing in my wheelhouse right now

Edit: SHOOOOK. SHOOOOOOOOOK.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Critical posted:

Edit: SHOOOOK. SHOOOOOOOOOK.

almost like tomorrow's a big day

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yikes

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Critical posted:

So the question is, and I'm not being a smartass here, if you're not going to vote for marginal change, whats the plan? Are you throwing your hands up? Talking poo poo on a dead comedy website so slobs like me get up and vote? Haranguing your reps in public? Continuing to canvas? Cause like I said above, voting is the baseline, so if you won't do that, you can at least piss off someone that should be pissed off.

I mean I'll probably still vote my heart just won't be in it anymore. I'm going to join DSA as a dues paying member and go from there.

The secret is that I get to talk all the mad poo poo I want about not voting or not wanting to vote because I'm moving to Texas. :ssh:

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sure i guess, but in this scenario his rankingmembership/future chairmanship does exactly diddly and squat, and i've been trying to identify what the actual meat is here other than MANCHIN BAD :mad:
AFAIK, he was already a member of energy so becoming 'ranking member' doesn't change anything. It's more that the shakeup reminded everyone that the worst possible democrat to be put in that committee was.

Promoting someone who votes against you 60% of the time doesn't seem like a good use of what little power we do have in the senate, hey :decorum: right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eke out posted:

almost like tomorrow's a big day

after today's "so what the gently caress is a ranking member and exactly how bad would Manchin be" I am looking forward to relaxing with a nice half gallon of beer and reading law nerds opine about whatever crazy poo poo is coming down the pipe

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Harik posted:

AFAIK, he was already a member of energy so becoming 'ranking member' doesn't change anything. It's more that the shakeup reminded everyone that the worst possible democrat to be put in that committee was.

Promoting someone who votes against you 60% of the time doesn't seem like a good use of what little power we do have in the senate, hey :decorum: right?

I still derived a bizarre enjoyment out of poring over committee rules and figueing out exactly how bad an idea it was, and now we all know some things we did not know yesterday!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

[sic]

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070879369432850433

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm envisioning a bunch of South American refugees ordering Mr Bean over the top as he rushes the border

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I still derived a bizarre enjoyment out of poring over committee rules and figueing out exactly how bad an idea it was, and now we all know some things we did not know yesterday!

Thanks for looking through that, it was funinteresting.

Can't wait for the in-depth look we get at the senate sausagemaking when AOC primaries out Schumer in 2022.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One thing Housedems could do, if they're living in fear of Manchin giving bipartisan cover to anti climate murder of legislation (which, again, he can do right now if he's willing to be the guy holding the knife), could be bribing the poo poo out of West Virginia with renewable energy money. :v: Just give the rear end in a top hat his pound of flesh.

I don't know if there's any amount of pork you could throw at Manchin to overcome the resistance of the state's entrenched coal interests. The only way they will let any politician live to see another term is if renewable energy gets killed or if coal dies its inevitable death earlier than expected.

In a perverse way, fracking is going to be your friend if your goal is to kill coal.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Maybe young smart people can be President!

This thread, needing taxation:

https://i.imgur.com/5I0i0J6.gifv

Me: There's not EVEN enough spice. 2020 is ten thousand years away.

Addendumb: unmute the spice.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Debate & Discussion > USPOL Winter: Boarder Security

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

what the gently caress is wrong with his brain tonight?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Same thing that's wrong every night Pinky.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

come on donny, launch the nukes

end our god drat misery

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He knows tomorrow is Mueller time.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1070886273513021440

So I guess we get to play another game of "Bomb or garbage"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

All doors are now known as non-walls

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1070886273513021440

So I guess we get to play another game of "Bomb or garbage"

im gonna laugh if its christmas presents

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
This Corsi guy is a gaddam trip and the fact that it is getting signal boosted by The Sundowner is just too much.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, take your pick between 'he absolutely has a mental disability and/or dementia this isn't a jokey joke insult the president of the united states 100% is not mentally fit to take care of himself let alone lead a country' and 'tomorrow there's probably at the bare minimum gonna be some red meat for the media to gnaw on and fuel speculation'.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Is it wrong of me to seriously consider Trump called in the bomb threat.

Like, would that honestly be a bridge too far for this reality

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Unoriginal Name posted:

Is it wrong of me to seriously consider Trump called in the bomb threat.

Like, would that honestly be a bridge too far for this reality

I don't think he can work the phone system

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

This could be interesting with whatever Cohen and Manafort stuff comes out tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1070889101686128640

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Guze posted:

This could be interesting with whatever Cohen and Manafort stuff comes out tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1070889101686128640

Considering that last year, trump couldnt keep himself from blabbing about how good (read: mediocre) the job numbers were ahead of the release, I'm gonna guess that this year's aren't great.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
CNN is live

Don Lemon is saying that someone from "the south" called in a bomb threat claiming there were 5 bombs placed throughout the building

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dad Jokes posted:

Considering that last year, trump couldnt keep himself from blabbing about how good (read: mediocre) the job numbers were ahead of the release, I'm gonna guess that this year's aren't great.

Or they just "forget" to tell him in advance now

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
CNN trying to film live in the street like this is watching a bad Tim and Eric sketch, a lot of awkward silences and dead air

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, take your pick between 'he absolutely has a mental disability and/or dementia this isn't a jokey joke insult the president of the united states 100% is not mentally fit to take care of himself let alone lead a country' and 'tomorrow there's probably at the bare minimum gonna be some red meat for the media to gnaw on and fuel speculation'.

I wonder if he is on some "prescribed" cycle of like uppers+downers and he fucks it up.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lycus posted:

He'll announce that the inauguration ceremony is being delayed due to "national security" (since he uses that excuse for everything else). When told that that doesn't matter, his term still ends and they can swear the new president in even a broom closet, he'll barricade himself inside the White House.

That won't actually happen, but it would be entertaining TV.
He'll slink off like the coward he is after weaseling out of / not being invited to the inauguration of the next President.

Maggie Habermann will tweet about how Presidential it all was.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pacific Rim taught us walls don't work anyway. I fully support diverting wall money to building giant rad rear end robots. Border patrolling mechs that will holler at people as they run around them.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ZypherIM posted:

I wonder if he is on some "prescribed" cycle of like uppers+downers and he fucks it up.

Remember his wacko doctor feel good from the campaign? Or the one whose entire military career went down in flames for saying Trump wasn't demented?

Lycus posted:

He'll announce that the inauguration ceremony is being delayed due to "national security" (since he uses that excuse for everything else). When told that that doesn't matter, his term still ends and they can swear the new president in even a broom closet, he'll barricade himself inside the White House.

That won't actually happen, but it would be entertaining TV.

If we're discussing WH exit shenanigans, I just want some administration to leave a giant pile of 'W' keys somewhere with a note about finding them in a closet

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

i mean i know, but he usually doesn't retweet randos. my hope is some new fun info or he goes even more stupid tomorrow.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Pacific Rim taught us walls don't work anyway. I fully support diverting wall money to building giant rad rear end robots. Border patrolling mechs that will holler at people as they run around them.

hell yeah give me that gundam future

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It is legitimately a huge shame that Manchin is so successfully bought out by the money the shambling corpse of the coal industry still has in their decrepit bank accounts because short of Congress outlawing all other forms of energy including forcing poors to pedal on bicycles to generate electricity then burning them for more energy after they keel over coal is dead as loving disco.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i know, but he usually doesn't retweet randos. my hope is some new fun info or he goes even more stupid tomorrow.

Jerome Corsi isn't exactly a rando, he's an infowars shithead and associate of Roger Stone who is on his slow but steady journey to prison for Mueller reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember his wacko doctor feel good from the campaign? Or the one whose entire military career went down in flames for saying Trump wasn't demented?

If we're discussing WH exit shenanigans, I just want some administration to leave a giant pile of 'W' keys somewhere with a note about finding them in a closet

Yea that was what I was thinking. He shambles in and talks about how he can't sleep (because of the stress of being a giant fraud who is bullshitting as hard as he can). Don't opioids make you constipated as well? Could be what that presidential time is used for.