Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ha, dubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love English dubs!!!!!!

More specifically, I love the weird discovery that comes with finding a voice actor I recognize (or don't recognize) in something. I'm a big fan of a lot of the VAs working in dubbing right now, which is why I'll usually pick that option unless the dub is just terrible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also there's like three main character voices in the P4 Japanese version that I think are loving atrocious so I feel more than justified in avoiding that again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
at about September in P5, and is there any point to the journalist social link? I haven't finished the game by a long shot but this seems like it might be some kind of a weird holdover from when palace security levels actually were going to matter in some early design document of the game

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

at about September in P5, and is there any point to the journalist social link? I haven't finished the game by a long shot but this seems like it might be some kind of a weird holdover from when palace security levels actually were going to matter in some early design document of the game

It gives you charm which you need for Makoto and unlike most social links actually connects to the main plot. Outside of that it is completely worthless besides getting a chance to hang out with slightly drunk reporter Yukiko and Lala-chan.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah, that poo poo never matters

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ty folks, I'll just play Shogi and get my fortune read instead since that poo poo seems actually useful.

and yeah that's what I figured about security levels. Palaces are cool but the security level thing is one of the more blatant "this was going to matter at some point" game mechanics I've seen

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 5, 2018

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nah, the confidant rewards don't matter at all, and the story is one of the weaker ones. Probably there are some deece personas in the Devil arcana? I don't remember

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ty folks, I'll just play Shogi and get my fortune read instead since that poo poo seems actually useful.

and yeah that's what I figured about security levels. Palaces are cool but the security level thing is one of the more blatant "this was going to matter at some point" game mechanics I've seen

What is your currant charm level?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hunt11 posted:

What is your currant charm level?

All my skills are 3/5 except knowledge which is 4/5, I mostly boosted charm by books and going to the sauna when it was raining

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

All my skills are 3/5 except knowledge which is 4/5, I mostly boosted charm by books and going to the sauna when it was raining

Then you need to keep on seeing her as to max out Makoto you need max charm.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ehh I already accepted that I'm not doing all the social links on one playthrough. I already want to NG+ because it's way too easy on, uh, Easy, even considering I haven't done a JRPG since Final Fantasy 8. almost every fight that isn't a boss fight takes 1 or 2 turns at most because of the elemental 1-more system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hunt11 posted:

Then you need to keep on seeing her as to max out Makoto you need max charm.

Eh, not really. Social links that give points only give a few points at specific ranks. In this case, Ohya only gives Charm points at ranks 2, 3, 4, 7 and 8. So-Good Tora also gives Charm and does so at ranks 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10 and has the added bonus of always ranking up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm probably going to just to P4G on the Vita/PSTV afterwards before NG+. I was doing P3P as a portable game but it extremely wasn't making any kind of impression, mainly because I'm in like the middle of June and barely anything has happened either character-wise or plot-wise. I heard the game was backloaded but jeez.

someone told me that the P2 games were much more similar to the other SMT games that I can't play cuz I don't have a DS, so I might try that at some point as well, assuming I don't switch to another game series for half a year due to burnout

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That is just Persona 3. The female route alleviates some of that because you can actually interact with your teammates for the first 80% of the game (or at all, in the case of the male members), but there straight-up isn't any kind of plot or forward momentum until the game's almost over. The characters generally have little to no agency to affect the story, it just kind of happens at them for the most part. It's the reason I think Persona 3 honestly doesn't really work, and feels like a first draft of its own story.

I'd be a liar to say P4G has no pacing issues, but you get to have fun hanging with your friends in a lot of the filler scenes, and the characters are a lot more active within the story.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

P4G got me into anime so it's cursed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it's like impossible to make a 50 hour piece of media that doesn't have some kind of pacing issues but yeah. I played the intro to P4G to check out how it felt compared to the other games and I think that had more interesting things happen than the three months I played through P3P thus far

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had one more important persona 5 question which is how garbage of a person am I if I want to buy the dumb rear end persona 5 dancing game because I want to play as a dancing cat

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I bought the collection but have only really sunk time into P5Dancing because I've only played P5 (I can't bring myself to buy a vita just for the other Persona games). It's enjoyable but boy am I poo poo at these games. I'll be doing fine for half the song and then just lose my groove and flail wildly trying to get back on track.

It wasn't until the dancing game and I heard Yusuke laugh that I realized his VA was also Gundham Tanaka from Danganronpa 2. Enjoying more Yusuke being...Yusuke.

Also it was mentioned above the game provides more characterization for Haru which is true and good, I guess; it means I hate her slightly less. Its not her fault really, she comes in so late and as part of the weakest palace/storyline beats in P5.

littleorv posted:

P4G got me into anime so it's cursed

P5 got me to soften my stance on anime and like all of my favorite games I played this year were anime as hell and I feel like I'm dying send help the :japan: is too strong

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I stopped caring about whether or not things were "anime" and it improved my quality of life immensely

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
P3D actually somewhat establishes a point in the timeline. Elizabeth is competing with Caroline and Justine over which group is the better dancers after the events of P4D. They're all pulled in while sleeping and are told they will forget it all when they wake up. Elizabeth's second event pretty much confirms she knows about the door and tells P3MC not to worry about the path ahead.

This all came up in social link talk after 3 songs on easy mode. So it's canon but they all forget.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

It's cool how all this "It totally happened but everyone just forgot about it" goes against P3 where Aigis remembers everything despite everyone else's memories being wiped.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cinnamon Bear posted:

P5 got me to soften my stance on anime and like all of my favorite games I played this year were anime as hell and I feel like I'm dying send help the :japan: is too strong
P5 got me into Visual Novels; at least in those you don't have to read hours and hours of IM conversations, usually.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

P5 got me into Visual Novels; at least in those you don't have to read hours and hours of IM conversations, usually.

You should play Steins;Gate

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Saagonsa posted:

30 hours in.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

woodenchicken posted:

Same, I wound up jumping into Danganronpa shortly after finishing P5 and also really enjoyed it. I haven't played too many others though, I got turned off for a bit after trying a free one from PS+ that was very...uncomfortable.

Saagonsa posted:

I've heard lots of good things about this, if I ever break down and get a Vita for Persona 3 and Persona 4 I'll probably try that too.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

woodenchicken posted:

You should play The House in Fata Morgana

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tora is among the best adult social links in P5. The other ones: just Sojiro. Tae and Kawakami are good for their benefits but. Don’t date your teacher.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Date your teacher

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I've heard lots of good things about this, if I ever break down and get a Vita for Persona 3 and Persona 4 I'll probably try that too.
You probably know this, but it is available on PC.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I always find with Anime or movies dubbing sounds terrible but with games I 100% prefer hearing it in English. Most games have really good English VA these days too.

Except Yakuza everyone in Yakuza is a perfect angel who should only speak Japanese

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dehry posted:

So it's canon but they all forget.

This happens so often in Persona spinoff games it could be it's own SMT Spinoff

SMT: Persona: It Was Just A Dream Edition: Dancing All Starlight 8

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Saagonsa posted:

It's cool how all this "It totally happened but everyone just forgot about it" goes against P3 where Aigis remembers everything despite everyone else's memories being wiped.

Maybe she does remember, but chooses to never speak of it again because she finds the whole situation embarrassing?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I can see that. You have that nice final moment of emotional closure on the rooftop where the P3 protagonist dies in your arms and then...
Oh hey they've been temporarily ripped out of time for dancing. Yeah better not say anything, it'd be awkward as hell.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JOKER IN SMASH

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sakurai beat every employ in Atlus at Smash to let this happen.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Waffleman_ posted:

JOKER IN SMASH

what

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1070899333145350144

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My god.

P5 Arena when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cinnamon Bear posted:

My god.

P5 Arena when.

THIS IS IT