Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

It's not really defeatist to acknowledge that some groups and some games just don't mesh for whatever reason. It can be disappointing if you're really up to play Game A but the group wants to play Game B and won't meet you halfway, my personal opinion is that groups should at least be receptive to trying new stuff if the person generally designated as the game-runner wants to give them a shot but if they give it a shot and aren't having fun then there's no sense in forcing it. And yeah, what Lemon-Lime said in knowing your group will often give you a good idea of what you're likely to have success with.

Yeah, having run games that flopped because the players just did not care, I've come to realize the importance of a prep session or at least a multi-email game. "Who wants to play Star Wars/Vampire/TORG/whatever" instead of just springing a giant Shadowrun game out of nowhere on them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

And if they want to play mouse guard you have the players killed, then their characters take their vr helmets off and enter a shadowrun campaign

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm lucky in that I've had groups who are willing to try new games, but I still put a bit of effort into the pitch.

I think people are more willing to try new RPGs nowadays, especially with things like Adventure Zone doing non-D&D stuff. I've done Games on Demand at PAX East for like six or seven years now, and the lines we get are longer every year. Last year's was comparable to the line for PFS, and we had to turn a lot of people away because we didn't have the capacity.

Yeah, D&D has that inertia, but people seem more willing to try new stuff when they're made aware of it and don't just think that D&D is the be-all-end-all.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, D&D has that inertia, but people seem more willing to try new stuff when they're made aware of it and don't just think that D&D is the be-all-end-all.

Yeah maybe in bizarro world

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a key thing is expectations but also execution; that people give something an honest try and an idea of what they're doing. A lot of people don't really know what they like until they try it, but it has to be tried well, and that means people can be excited for something in theory that turns out to be less enjoyable in practice. Or they turn out to like a game when it's run a certain way.

A lot of the arguments over D&D edition wars and such seem to come down to people who basically don't play the same games the same way, but assume everyone else does.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i mostly just ask in discord or post a recruit thread and people who want to play the game in question show up

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I've run Scion and Vampire for people that have only ever played DnD 5E. There's a pretty significant amount of prepwork required - I wrote up glossary's for everyone, asked them questions about their characters and built them sheets, built them NPCs and relics to play with and even wrote up a 2 page 'here is how the rules work real fast'. Totally doable, but gently caress me, RPG companies could probably do with 'here's the tl;dr of this poo poo' in the back of their books or free on a website or something.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Kai Tave posted:

It's not really defeatist to acknowledge that some groups and some games just don't mesh for whatever reason. It can be disappointing if you're really up to play Game A but the group wants to play Game B and won't meet you halfway, my personal opinion is that groups should at least be receptive to trying new stuff if the person generally designated as the game-runner wants to give them a shot but if they give it a shot and aren't having fun then there's no sense in forcing it. And yeah, what Lemon-Lime said in knowing your group will often give you a good idea of what you're likely to have success with.

It's more the issue of balance in selling. "You can't expect people to change what they want for you" is perfectly fair, but as a veteran of 90s social phobia support forums, the claim that "it shouldn't be difficult to get people to do what they want" is very easily spun into "if you aren't getting games/invites/<social thing> without making any effort (because having to make effort on something would constitute it "being difficult" and apparently it shouldn't be) then people don't want to give you those things and they never will, nerd."

Most groups have plenty of occasions when people say they would like to run something but actually can't because of time constraints and so on - so merely saying that could easily not attract interest, even if people wanted to play, because the players have heard it all before and know it is going nowhere.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
There are folks willing to try things outside of D&D. The local board game meet up this weekend has sign ups for Pugmire, RIFTS, Tales of the Floating Vagabond and Savage Worlds. I've got a group playing Indie RPGs for the last year; we've played Microscope, Dread, The Quiet Year, Final Girl, Kingdom, Noir World, Mechanical Oryx, Out of Dodge, Fiasco, Follow, Companion's Tale, The Skeletons and Masks.

One shots are a fantastic way to sell people on trying new systems, less commitment.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

LongDarkNight posted:

Companion's Tale,

I've heard very good things about Companion's Tale, any chance you could elaborate on that one?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Joe Slowboat posted:

I've heard very good things about Companion's Tale, any chance you could elaborate on that one?

My group enjoyed it. We've found GMless games with map drawing are a good fit for us. The resolution is entirely narrative but it breaks it up into four separate roles that are rotated between the players. The art work is good and I was able to PNP all the cars without much trouble. My main criticism of the book is the shortness of the "GM advice" and complete lack of a play example. Half the page count is spent on alternate play modes and I think it would have benefited more from using those pages to better explain the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sion posted:

I've run Scion and Vampire for people that have only ever played DnD 5E. There's a pretty significant amount of prepwork required - I wrote up glossary's for everyone, asked them questions about their characters and built them sheets, built them NPCs and relics to play with and even wrote up a 2 page 'here is how the rules work real fast'. Totally doable, but gently caress me, RPG companies could probably do with 'here's the tl;dr of this poo poo' in the back of their books or free on a website or something.

This is my hurdle getting Mage to the table with an actual group. The elevator pitch is fantastic basically however you cut it, and a ton of my nerdier-inclined friends latch on to it immediately, but then actually learning the game requires basic setting knowledge about so much stuff that (imo) it's worse to pick up fresh than something like D&D.

I really want to write up a quickstart kind of thing for it like you mentioned, but....for Mage that's a little overwhelming.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

This is my hurdle getting Mage to the table with an actual group. The elevator pitch is fantastic basically however you cut it, and a ton of my nerdier-inclined friends latch on to it immediately, but then actually learning the game requires basic setting knowledge about so much stuff that (imo) it's worse to pick up fresh than something like D&D.

I really want to write up a quickstart kind of thing for it like you mentioned, but....for Mage that's a little overwhelming.

Quickstart is - you have 2 paragraphs to describe the setting and the rest is rules. If it needs to be vague, then it'll be vague. You can frontload a lot of big ideas. I've found that once you've written something up, you can rewrite it to skin it down. Keep doing that until there's nothing left you can remove. If people have questions, they can ask them at the table which usually gets people talking about the game and finding out about how cool it is.

Here's my Scion Quick Pitch:

quote:

The Gods of ancient antiquity are both real and present in the modern world. All myths are created equal and all legends are true. There is no vast conspiracy to hide the nature of reality from mortal minds; in fact, quite the opposite. Worshipers are sought after.

You are a child of the Gods, newly awoken to your divine heritage. Since you were met by your divine parent, Fate has conspired to elevate you above mortality. You have been given gifts, physical and metaphysical, and are called to greater things. Make your parents proud, Scion.

Pick a Pantheon:
Æsir - Norse Gods; stalwart, loyal, doomed.
Kami - Japanese Gods; calm, subtle, deadly.
Manitou - Algonquin Gods; righteous, wise, suffering.
Netjer - Egyptian Gods; ancient, mutable, dispossessed.
Shen: Chinese Gods; Infinite, professional, overworked.
Teōtl - Aztec Gods; passionate, strong, blood soaked.
Theoi - Greek Gods; noble, royal, fragile.
Tuatha Dé Danann - Irish Gods; fierce, honorable, lost.

Pick a Role:
Creator - Build bridges, both literal and figurative.
Guardian - Defend the weak, your home, your ideals.
Healer - Heal the sick, let the blind see.
Hunter - Seek the lost, track the villainous.
Judge - Know the truth in all things.
Leader - Lead men, nations, gods.
Lover - Love, lust, passion and need.
Liminal - Light, travel, transitions.
Sage - Know all things in truth.
Trickster - Teach lessons, tell jokes, get away with it.
Warrior - rear end-kickings delivered in 30 minutes or less.

Pick an Approach:
Force - Think faster, hit harder, command greater.
Finesse - Dodge the hit, out think them, manipulate from the shadows.
Resilience - Keep your cool, take the punch and keep your chin up.

That's all the ST needs to make someone a Scion character. A pantheon, a role, and an approach. You can usually find someone in a pantheon that fits into what they're after in terms of character.

Something like this for the rules once-over. That's basically all you need to get playing, and the rest of the stuff you can do on the fly or explain as it comes up.

Everyone gets a character sheet with dots and powers and relics. The powers, knacks and relics go on a second A4 sheet. You can do a third A4 sheet if you want to do 'this is a description of the god that is your parent, and here is an innate purview that you get for being from your pantheon. There's a lot of prep work, but it's like- 6 pages of reading for a player and (for a group of 5) like 20 pages of writing in total for the ST.

It continues to feel bonkers to me that there's aren't more pre-made tl;dr's of games. I have poo poo to do and don't wanna spend 100 pages reading a fuckin' 10,000 year history of some elf that hosed up a tree and now everyone's super mad at them or something.

Sion fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 5, 2018

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

What happened to the Deva?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

And the Orisha?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Joe Slowboat posted:

What happened to the Deva?

I didn't especially feel comfortable running a game with a majority/active religion in the town I live in where the players would claim to be their direct descendants.

The Orisha didn't make the cut in the quick summary because I just didn't have enough time to research them to the extent that I'd be okay with portraying one of the patrons in the 'meet the family' section of the game. I'd rather exclude them from initial character creation and do research on them, than do it poorly first time around.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I've created a giant couple-dozen pages "cheat sheet" for the Awakening game I'll never get to run, but I managed to cram a pretty comprehensive setting summary into like four or five pages, including very brief faction breakdowns and supernatural geography. The rest of it is literally all the core rules.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 5, 2018

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Sion posted:

back in the day they mostly made those as paid extras.
Half the reason you bought an official DM screen was the rules cheat sheets, but I also remember white wolf selling at least a few player ones back in 1st e, and I think FF had them for their warhammer 40k RPGs.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
So Magic the Gathering had an ad during the game awards and oh god nobody bothered to actually read what they were slapping "MAGIC CHAMPION!!!!" on to.

https://twitter.com/blockwonkel/status/1070894339210002433
https://twitter.com/alain_invasion/status/1070915226483089408

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

who should mod this forum. i have never set foot in here so am extremely suggestible. please do not take unfair advantage of this and please do not recommend yourself.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

R. Guyovich posted:

who should mod this forum. i have never set foot in here so am extremely suggestible. please do not take unfair advantage of this and please do not recommend yourself.

I vote for the tyranny of Corrode.

Edit: Beer4TheBeerGod, too.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 7, 2018

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

R. Guyovich posted:

Ooh ooh ooh, I'd like to sugge- oh, never mind then.

If I can't self propose, I'd second Corrode from the 40k thread.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Aleth posted:

Aleth posted:

If we're using transferable vote:

1) Corrode
2) Lovely Joe
3) Booley

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Corrode or richyp would work. I also don't mind helping out but if you're looking for someone new those two come to mind.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'd support Corrode as TG mod. Lovely Joe or richyp would also be good though

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd support Corrode as TG mod. Lovely Joe or richyp would also be good though

I also think Lovely Joe Stalin would be good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Alien Rope Burn for TG mod

EDIT: Evil Mastermind

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 7, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

i would second ARB for mod

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Failing that, Kai Tave, but he'll never go for it.

Comedy option: Leperflesh, to really test out the capacity of the probation form.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

grassy gnoll posted:

Comedy option: Leperflesh, to really test out the capacity of the probation form.

Came to post this as a real option. :shobon:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

gradenko_2000 posted:

:same:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Drone posted:

Came to post this as a real option. :shobon:

I think Leperflesh would actually be a pretty decent and an especially dilligent mod, but he'd also burn out in a hurry.

Conversely, if RIFTS hasn't killed ARB's soul yet, nothing around here's gonna do it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

i would second ARB for mod
Third.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

ARB.

comedy option- serf

Sion fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 7, 2018

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

If we're using transferable vote:

1) Corrode
2) Lovely Joe
3) Booley

Changing this up

1) Corrode (if he want's it)
2) Beer4TheBeerGod (he's already a mod and isn't biased)
3) Lovely Joe
4) Booley

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ARB
alt choice Serf cause I want him to suffer.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

ARB or Serf

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I feel like I have to bring this up: I've been here for a long-rear end time, and I don't think I've ever heard of any of the nominees except for ARB and Beer.

I'm not saying they wouldn't be good mods, but it's hard for me to say if they'd be good if they've never posted outside the 40k thread. If they did please feel free to correct me, but I think that a mod should be more...general? with their posting, if that makes any sense.

If we want a good mod (and we all do), I just think it's got to be someone who's engaged with a bunch of stuff across TradGames. My two cents.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

ARB or Evil Mastermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Me.