Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Who are all these fucks replying with praise for the NYPD?

Seriously what kind of mental case spends their time following the NYPD on Twitter so they can tweet thoughts and prayers.

They’re paid to do it, dude. It’s loving twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I mean if you don't pretend it might happen it's even harder to get the pressure on the house to pass it in the first place.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

enraged_camel posted:

How do you even abolish the Senate?

I mean, I know the answer is "violently", but I'm asking more in terms of a step-by-step.

I have a strong feeling it would require a Constitutional amendment. Right?

i'm 300% certain we've been over this but the non-amendment version would involve stripping it of a lot of its powers

but yeah, it'd require either a constitutional amendment or an extremely fragile Senate Rules institution

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nope! Good messaging for 2020 though!

i may have been unclear

Okay, gotcha.

However, I'm not sure it is good messaging at this point. Like, everyone knows they're dead set against any non-regressive policy. Maybe time to just give up the pretense and start directly calling them out on their bullshit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Otteration posted:

Addendumb: unmute the spice.

That's a pretty good Godzilla impression.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, gotcha.

However, I'm not sure it is good messaging at this point. Like, everyone knows they're dead set against any non-regressive policy. Maybe time to just give up the pretense and start directly calling them out on their bullshit.

Plausible suggestion!

paging kirsten gillibrand

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreyjoyBastard posted:

gently caress

y'all read the thread

That's a pro-click. Also, if you're in California, find your filter mask before you start reading. It gets awful dusty in there awful fast.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

He'll slink off like the coward he is after weaseling out of / not being invited to the inauguration of the next President.

Maggie Habermann will tweet about how Presidential it all was.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

enraged_camel posted:

I mean, I know the answer is "violently", but I'm asking more in terms of a step-by-step.

Yes, it would require a constitutional amendment.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm 300% certain we've been over this but the non-amendment version would involve stripping it of a lot of its powers

Its main powers are constitutional, so you'd still need an amendment.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 7, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

Yes, it would require a constitutional amendment.

well then

time for a revolution

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

enraged_camel posted:

well then

time for a revolution

As if we wouldn't end up with a fascist ruler after the revolution.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

Worse, it would require an amendment that was unanimously approved, because it is unconstitutional to deprive a state of their equal representation in the senate without their consent.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Worse, it would require an amendment that was unanimously approved, because it is unconstitutional to deprive a state of their equal representation in the senate without their consent.

Just amend that sentence out first while you're amending. Edit: Though "zero for everyone" is equal, right?

But easier to strip it of its powers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

well then

time for a revolution

I think I've said it before, but I don't see how the Senate goes away without a civil war. The states that've come to rely on the disproportionate amount of representation it provides will not relinquish that power gladly, regardless of which political party happens to be in control of those "flyover" states.

Something's gotta give in the next few decades, though. I don't think our government can function when less than a third of the population control more than two-thirds of the Senate.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 7, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

looks like this guy tried: https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/House_Member_Introduces_Resolution_To_Abolish_the_Senate.htm

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Nah itd just take two non-unanimous constitutional amendments. One to make it constitutional to strip a state of its equal representation in the Senate, and one to actually strip it of its equal representation in the Senate.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Like, within our lifetimes, the Senate will cause the greatest constitutional crisis we've faced since the Civil War.

I guess the only good news is we might all be dead from climate change by then.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

I think I've said it before, but I don't see how the Senate goes away without a civil war. The states that've come to rely on the disproportionate amount of representation it provides will not relinquish that power gladly, regardless of which political party happens to be in control of those "flyover" states.

Yeah, that's the problem with any amendment. Too many states benefit from disproportionate representation. That's a barrier in both passage and ratification. An insurmountable one, really.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

GreyjoyBastard posted:

pff, look at this limp-wristed :decorum: democrat
:rolleyes: that contemporary politicians place :decorum: over substance which then leads to that abysmal figure is the very thing we're upset about

It's pretty telling that it doesn't even occur to you that there might be a tangible reason, in terms of quality of life and political responsiveness, that the figure was higher before. Policy doesn't matter to you - only appearances.

Of course there were a lot of things really terrible about American government in 1958, of course, which John Dingell would also readily admit. Things which it is much better about now. But can't we have both? We should be able to demand improvements i.e. keeping the good things and losing the bad, without endless snarky bullshit from privileged assholes such as yourself all the time. :fuckoff:

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah you can't easily abolish it even by amendment IIRC, but I think you can make it effectively toothless e.g. it doesn't pass legislation anymore it only can veto with a 2/3 majority - something like that could be accomplished via amendment.

vvv oh what's this? posting about posting from the peanut gallery? how utterly expected :o:

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 7, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

:rolleyes: that contemporary politicians place :decorum: over substance which then leads to that abysmal figure is the very thing we're upset about

It's pretty telling that it doesn't even occur to you that there might be a tangible reason, in terms of quality of life and political responsiveness, that the figure was higher before. Policy doesn't matter to you - only appearances.

Of course there were a lot of things really terrible about American government in 1958, of course, which John Dingell would also readily admit. Things which it is much better about now. But can't we have both? We should be able to demand improvements i.e. keeping the good things and losing the bad, without endless snarky bullshit from privileged assholes such as yourself all the time. :fuckoff:
kilroy attacking the concept of privileged snark is very funny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just make a bunch of places states like guam, Puerto rico, dc, etc and they get in the senate too. Water down the Senate's power through equal representation by adding more states. The various colonies deserve a say anyway.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Um.... I love you Bernie but that ain’t gonna happen. No way in hell Mitch would allow it.

https://twitter.com/isaacdovere/status/1070906921996247040?s=21

Still dems should absolutely pass a M4A to show whet they stand for and what’s at stake in 2020

They will vote (to deny cloture)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Um.... I love you Bernie but that ain’t gonna happen. No way in hell Mitch would allow it.

Still dems should absolutely pass a M4A to show whet they stand for and what’s at stake in 2020

Bernie, bu-uhddy. Let me offer a counter argument in just five words: Supreme Court Justice Rapist Guy Brett Kavanaugh. Mitch McConnell moved heaven and earth and hell to put a rapist on the Supreme Court over VAST public outcry. There could be a horde of 10,000 people surrounding him screaming and throwing literal poo poo in his face at all hours of the day and night for the rest of his life and the only way to could be banished is to pass M4A, and he'd spend every second of that time trying to engineer a way for all of them to be burred alive with him when he died.

:doh: Why are leftists so loving dense when it comes to figuring out how implacably evil Republicans are? How many time do they have to be stung by the scorpion to learn it's in the scorpion's nature?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

nine-gear crow posted:

:doh: Why are leftists so loving dense when it comes to figuring out how implacably evil Republicans are? How many time do they have to be stung by the scorpion to learn it's in the scorpion's nature?

Accepting that means accepting the inevitability of violent, bloody civil war to pry power out of their hands. It's a hard ask.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I think a decent number of them know, but a lot of them still believe that appearing bipartisan is the best political play. As I said earlier, I think we're past the point where that sort of posturing provides any significant advantage. People know these fuckers are evil and their either down with that or not, we can stop appealing to the ~*Undecided Moderates*~

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Aoc should definitely take old bern under her wing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not that I blame Sanders for talking that way. Even if things are changing, decades of decorum politics leaves one hell of a groove and the guy does have presidential ambitions. The left still struggles mightily with the idea that they could go full firebrand without alienating voters.

Google Butt posted:

Aoc should definitely take old bern under her wing

I do hope she can serve as a model for a new wave of progressive legislators. People who aren't just intelligent and engaged, but also loving pissed and ready to do something about it. Someone posted a little while ago that they knew plenty of activists like her, but that those people have traditionally gotten frozen out of actual policymaking because the larger establishment considers them electorally non-viable.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 7, 2018

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/CookieCyboid/status/1070752295737020416
https://twitter.com/CookieCyboid/status/1070754839804723206
https://twitter.com/CookieCyboid/status/1070757687942660097
https://twitter.com/CookieCyboid/status/1070762081035665408

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Did not notice this earlier when I first read his drivel, but gently caress is he dumb.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070879369432850433

Border Patrol vs Boarder Security.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

eke out posted:

NYPD confirms the bomb threat was called in like twenty minutes after the FAKE NEWS ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE tweet

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1070901406087987200

Well poo poo, guess the media needs to do another "Nazis are regular people too" stories

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, that's not how Republicans work. "Oh, this Rep is a kiddie diddler? He should be kicked out and prosecuted" = sane person. "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! VOTE FOR HIM!" = Republicans

Or the push against judge beer getting put on SCOTUS and Reps doing it anyways

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Quote the craven "Nothing Matters."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

I haven’t seen the interview, but Dovere’s been a pretty vocal Never-Bernie for a while now. I’m guessing he’s leaving out a bit of context here.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, that's not how Republicans work. "Oh, this Rep is a kiddie diddler? He should be kicked out and prosecuted" = sane person. "REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! VOTE FOR HIM!" = Republicans

Or the push against judge beer getting put on SCOTUS and Reps doing it anyways

I will at least allow that most of the GOP did eventually come out against Doug Jones, asking that he withdraw from the race and even speculating about not seating him if elected.

I guess saying that "most of their establishment will support a Democrat over a pedophile" is damning with faint praise, but well, that's where we're at now!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

eke out posted:

NYPD confirms the bomb threat was called in like twenty minutes after the FAKE NEWS ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE tweet

https://twitter.com/NYPDnews/status/1070901406087987200

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the threat was called in by one John Barron

E:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071001119697108992?s=19

I saw Mueller and Leakin' Lyin' Slim Jim Comey making babies in the supply closet and then the baby looked at me!

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 7, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the threat was called in by one John Barron

E:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071001119697108992?s=19

I saw Mueller and Leakin' Lyin' Slim Jim Comey making babies in the supply closet and then the baby looked at me!

he's doing a great job making sure we know some news is coming today

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071003598023221248

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 7, 2018

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

eke out posted:

I live for Fridays

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

eke out posted:

It's DJTJ Indictment Day, a day that shall live in infamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm lolling at Weissman taking down "great companies"

the man is famous for being the guy who convicted Enron executives yall

we're five minutes away from tweets like JEFFREY SKILLING INNOCENT

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 7, 2018