Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrigaar posted:

What time of day did the shop update? I was skimming Reddit and saw a poster say that first-party games unlocked at midnight and the rest were usually the afternoon.

Shin Megami Tensei side-series about mostly high school kids solving murder mysteries (at least in the few I played), fighting with and against tarot card themed enemies. Moderately difficult, long boss fights, super-punishing elemental weaknesses that work just as harsh for as against you.

Solving mysteries sounds cool, but somehow I get the feeling the story isn't what attracts people. It's an RPG right? Is it like Baten Kaitos (cards?), I wasn't a huge fan of that in the end. XBC is also too modern for me too. I think I'll stick to nostalgia for now. Octopath and eventually the Sony FF's which I've never played and doing so will mean I've have played them all through X-2 excepting for 8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

whaaa??? The PS4 thread loves it

do they? that's good, i don't actually know what i'm thinking of. it's a good game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dragon Quest 11 Switch slowly inches towards being an actual game. Famitsu is reporting that Square-Enix is holding a special DQ11 Switch Stage at Jump Festa on December 22nd featuring the producer, director, and DQ leader Yuji Horii.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So what's persona? And why is it good?

It's an off-shoot of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona 5 is about the Phantom Thieves and their special ability to infiltrate someone's psyche, and Joker is the leader. Inside the psyche "palace", they attempt to steal the person's "heart", which can manifest itself as different things and is guarded very heavily by that person because they don't want to give it up. If successfully stolen, that person will have a change of heart. So the Phantom Thieves use these powers for good and try to change the hearts of bad people.

It's kinda a really really long story and P5 can take over 70 hours to complete. But the Persona series has seen huge success lately because it's super anime. There's a social link aspect where you grow your relationship with other characters. With the female characters, the fans essentially consider it to be a dating visual novel. Persona has very many powerful waifus, and the SMT thread is plagued with waifu chat.

Persona is super anime, but it's also legitimately good. Persona 5 oozes with really loving good art, design, and music. It's extremely stylish.

It's a JRPG but it's not as forgiving and easy as Final Fantasy. It has a pokemon theme to it, too, where you try to capture "personas" (based on real world demons/angels/gods/etc) and level them up or fuse them to make stronger ones. The personas give you certain stats, strengths/weaknesses, and spells.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

It's an off-shoot of the Shin Megami Tensei series. Persona 5 is about the Phantom Thieves and their special ability to infiltrate someone's psyche, and Joker is the leader. Inside the psyche "palace", they attempt to steal the person's "heart", which can manifest itself as different things and is guarded very heavily by that person because they don't want to give it up. If successfully stolen, that person will have a change of heart. So the Phantom Thieves use these powers for good and try to change the hearts of bad people.

It's kinda a really really long story and P5 can take over 70 hours to complete. But the Persona series has seen huge success lately because it's super anime. There's a social link aspect where you grow your relationship with other characters. With the female characters, the fans essentially consider it to be a dating visual novel. Persona has very many powerful waifus, and the SMT thread is plagued with waifu chat.

Persona is super anime, but it's also legitimately good. Persona 5 oozes with really loving good art, design, and music. It's extremely stylish.

It's a JRPG but it's not as forgiving and easy as Final Fantasy. It has a pokemon theme to it, too, where you try to capture "personas" (based on real world demons/angels/gods/etc) and level them up or fuse them to make stronger ones. The personas give you certain stats, strengths/weaknesses, and spells.

I really appreciate this very thorough description but this does not sound like the game for me in the slightest. I will say that I'll maybe enjoy playing this Joker character in Smash in the future. The trailer was slick and it's true the music sounds terrific. But super anime and dating visual novel, is not my thing. Those characteristics made me put aside Xenoblade Chronicles and the relationship stuff pretty much killed Fire Emblem for me thanks to Awakenings. (Knowing what FF becomes later on for Sony this probably comes off as hypocritical, but having seen an LP of FFVII I think I can manage it, and IX looks like a throwback. Can't say what I'll do with X/X2 though.)

I'll look up the music and enjoy that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
WHY IS IT NOT LETTING ME PLAY SMASH??

It is giving me the "this game is not yet available to play, would you like to view the eShop for more information?" message :saddowns:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

100YrsofAttitude posted:

But super anime and dating visual novel, is not my thing. Those characteristics made me put aside Xenoblade Chronicles and the relationship stuff pretty much killed Fire Emblem for me thanks to Awakenings.

For what it's worth, the Persona games aren't "anime" in the same way XB2 is. Still super anime, but a very different genre of it and with a different target audience. It also helps that it's a lot better written by just about every possible metric, they're not even in the same ballpark.

And yeah, people definitely play the Persona games for the stories. It's one of the few JRPG series that still manages to not gently caress up on that front.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Persona is satanic Pokémon and you play a high schooler in Tokyo in persona 5

During the day you do actual every day things like study and make friends and it makes your satanic Pokémon stronger. Then you do actual dungeons with cool fun fights and you fuse your Pokémon into new stronger ones.

It’s a fun gameplay loop honestly and the series really hit critical mass with Persona 4 because it’s basically small town scooby doo and the characters were VERY endearing as a group

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The switch is getting Shin Megami Tensei 5, and Persona was an offshoot of that series that ended up becoming more popular.

All the SMT games and side games have the satanic Pokémon aspect, only persona has you existing in normal every day life. SMT games are usually during or after the apocalypse, very grim, have you fighting deities up to actual capital G GOD as a boss in a lot of them. Good games but less mainstream appeal

Because Persona is real world the music is usually like, Japanese pop in a way that sounds bad but is actually very good

Edit: I think without question Persona 5 is a much better game than Xenoblade 2

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 7, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If only they would port Tokyo Mirage Sessions to the Switch. :negative:

It's literally the last game I would keep my Wii U plugged in for.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also they always made Vita and PSP ports of Persona games so it makes sense that the Switch might get it now that it gets the games that would normally have gone to Sony's handhelds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

sethsez posted:

For what it's worth, the Persona games aren't "anime" in the same way XB2 is. Still super anime, but a very different genre of it and with a different target audience. It also helps that it's a lot better written by just about every possible metric, they're not even in the same ballpark.

And yeah, people definitely play the Persona games for the stories. It's one of the few JRPG series that still manages to not gently caress up on that front.

Wow that was almost an unironic 'Persona isn't anime' post, truly this is the Vita thread MK2

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Persona 5 was the first PS4 game that came out after the Switch launched that made me realize how difficult it is to play games on consoles that you can't undock and play anywhere is in a post-Switch world.

I finally forced myself to beat it this year. It was excellent. I don't know if I wanna replay it again on Switch if it happened but I might get some catharsis out of it. Persona's linear nature makes them extremely good for portable gaming.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Persona 5 is light years ahead of XB2. XB2 is a good example of why anime was a mistake. Persona 5 is a good reason for why anime isn't always bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Persona 5 is light years ahead of XB2. XB2 is a good example of why anime was a mistake. Persona 5 is a good reason for why anime isn't always bad.

Did Xenoblade 2 not have enough gay panic for you?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rirse posted:

And that above quote was already broken since Yakuza 0 on Steam.

I think it was in context of console exclusivity, but I dunno, I'm just recalling from memory of a year-old tweet.

Zas posted:

persona is really good, including 5. this forum gets kinda down on it. maybe it's a little frontloaded or whatever.

I was pretty into it until the second or third dungeon. I liked/loved Persona 3 & 4, but 5 fizzled out pretty hard for me. Maybe I'm just too old now to get into high school melodrama anime games. Maybe it was just trying way too hard to be, how do you say, "woke." The Persona series has always delved into the taboo, but 3 & 4 covered a grander scope of personal/mental health issues, while 5 just never shuts the gently caress up about stickin' it to the man. Very old man yells at cloud of me to say, but I couldn't care less about what anime high schoolers think of the man.

enojy fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Dec 7, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sethsez posted:

The only anime, aside from big name movies, I ever truly liked was Cowboy Bebop. Is that surprising? Probably not, it certainly doesn't make me an expert on the subject.

But if it's anything like that then it'd be well worth it.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Hmmnope, I could bring myself to finish XB2 and be entertained while P5 lies there, unfinished on the boat. It falls apart pretty hard.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The boat is awful but it has great music. Also it does eventually end.

That Joker DLC reveal is crazy.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

sethsez posted:

P5 is not only extremely anime, it is the animeest game you could think of.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Persona 5 would have been excellent if they removed like 20 hours of really tedious padding, instead it's just pretty good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
all I know about persona is that it's aggressively anime

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Your Computer posted:

all I know about persona is that it's aggressively anime

Persona 4 is Scooby Doo though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Persona 4 is Scooby Doo though.

It's JoJo part 4

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
does the switch in docked mode not turn on unless it's charged?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow that was almost an unironic 'Persona isn't anime' post, truly this is the Vita thread MK2

Healbot posted:

P5 is not only extremely anime, it is the animeest game you could think of.

I didn't say Persona wasn't anime, I said it was a different breed of anime than XC2. Same way that Phoenix Wright is anime as gently caress but managed to appeal to people who weren't Guy Goodbody anyway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Majima for Smash now, Nintendo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I normally have a high tolerance for stupid character designs but the Persona series manages to be beyond my threshold

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Persona 5 is anime and it even has bad anime tropes (gay panic, tons of fanservice and objectification).

However it has a depth and style beyond most anime games, which makes the aforementioned tropes easier to stomach, though they're still problematic.

See also: Cowboy Bebop.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 7, 2018

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Persona 3 is the best one anyway.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It's on the European eShop at least. And for 20 euros, I think I'll pick it up.

Yes I also have it! 15.99 in UK money, very reasonably priced, don't tell Nintendo but I was expecting to pay more!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

WHY THE gently caress CAN I NOT DOWNLOAD KATAMARI

Release it bamco you cowards

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

asecondduck posted:

Persona 5 is anime and it even has bad anime tropes (gay panic, tons of fanservice and objectification).

However it has a depth and style beyond most anime games, which makes the aforementioned tropes easier to stomach, though they're still problematic.

See also: Cowboy Bebop.

if you think gay panic is a specifically an anime trope, I have some bad news for you

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Pokemon freakin wishes it was half the RPG that persona or shin megami tensei is

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

nerd_of_prey posted:

Yes I also have it! 15.99 in UK money, very reasonably priced, don't tell Nintendo but I was expecting to pay more!

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

It's on the European eShop at least. And for 20 euros, I think I'll pick it up.

Why the heck is it $30 over here?

And also still not available

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WHY THE gently caress CAN I NOT DOWNLOAD KATAMARI

Release it bamco you cowards

its too good and would steal the majority of smash sales so my uncle reggie miyamoto is holding it hostage

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Pokemon freakin wishes it was half the RPG that persona or shin megami tensei is

Pokemon doesn't have nearly enough penis monsters

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Andrast posted:

Pokemon doesn't have nearly enough penis monsters

What about Penusaur

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pokemon is the perfect RPG because it doesn’t have any of the additional RPG bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
No first party Nintendo trailers at the game awards? Don’t they usually show something?