Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Ya'll think Dresden is ever gonna be finished?

Assuming he manages to release Peace Talks next year, and then goes back to a one book a year schedule, that's another 10 years till the end, assuming he's still sticking with the 20-24 books thing he mentioned a few times. Not exactly the longest running book series or w/e but still, kinda wild to think I'll have been reading these wizard books for like 28 years Ha Ha Ha :smith:

Honestly, no.

But I don't really care. The series is pretty well self-contained. There's dangling plot threads, but nothing I lose sleep over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
I would like to see it finished, but the genre has evolved and there are better authors. I’m more worried that I’ll try to read Peace Talks and find it garbage after reading a bunch of other, better series.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Every so often I imagine there's a meteor headed for Earth and needing to track him down and make him tell me what was going to happen

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Honestly, no.

But I don't really care. The series is pretty well self-contained. There's dangling plot threads, but nothing I lose sleep over.

This is kinda my attitude too. I'm not even super sure what or where the big metaplot is supposed to end up - obviously the big demon war thing is there, but otherwise, its been so long I genuinely can't really remember much in the way of Big Secrets to be wrapped up.

Could certainly be worse. I'm a big Shenmue fan and that situation is buckwild in comparison.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

smertrioslol posted:

I would like to see it finished, but the genre has evolved and there are better authors. I’m more worried that I’ll try to read Peace Talks and find it garbage after reading a bunch of other, better series.

I'm not really worried about this.

I read Brief Cases and it reminded my why I like Butcher so much. He's got his issues, but his writing is fun to read.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I just want to know that Ivy has a happy ending, is that really too much to ask?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
She grew up and married Jim Butcher.

Wait, that's not a happy ending for her.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

smertrioslol posted:

One line kinda caught me by surprise, I’m not sure if it had been mentioned before this book

Mentioned in the first book. Also suggested by A Colder War which is kind of the prototype for the Laundry books.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ookiimarukochan posted:

Mentioned in the first book. Also suggested by A Colder War which is kind of the prototype for the Laundry books.

Also, in the first book, I think? When Bob was on that world where entropy had been accelerated to point where that particular universe was almost completely frozen. It's been forever and day since I read it, but didn't he refer to them as the Gods/Lords of Entropy or something? Or maybe that's what I called them in my head

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Frost Giants seems to be what they were referred to as but that's likely from the whole Nazi mythology thing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Saros posted:

Frost Giants seems to be what they were referred to as but that's likely from the whole Nazi mythology thing

That's right, I think I was just going "Man, it would have been cooler if he called them this, instead"

E: poo poo, now I remember where that came from. It was how Rasputin referred to the Ogdru Jahad in Hellboy one time.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 7, 2018

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In the book the entity is referenced as a jötunn, a norse frost giant

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Also as an infovore, if I remember right? I guess I didn’t connect the first book to the line in this one.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Could all be the same stuff though since: a Cold One/Frost Giant seem pretty interchangeable. An infovore/lord of entropy could also be referring to the same thing since entropy is about the loss of information, and the ultimate endpoint of entropy is a low-energy (cold) unchanging universe.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I just finished Broken Homes, book 4 of Rivers of London and God drat loving poo poo ARGH that got me good. I'm right aggravated I didn't see that.

I can't believe I totally bounced off Book 1, this series is phenomenal.

Edit: I just read the last few pages of this thead and now I'm sad.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 11, 2018

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think this was mentioned previously, but Subterranean is doing another Aaronovitch novella, The October Man.

quote:

If you thought magic was confined to one country-think again.

Trier: famous for wine, Romans and being Germany's oldest city.

When a man is found dead with his body impossibly covered in a fungal rot, the local authorities know they are out of their depth. But fortunately this is Germany, where there are procedures for everything.

Enter Tobias Winter, an investigator for the Abteilung KDA, the branch of the German Federal Criminal Police which handles the supernatural. His aim is to get in, deal with the problem, and get out with the minimum of fuss, personal danger and paperwork.

Together with frighteningly enthusiastic local cop, Vanessa Sommer, he quickly links the first victim to a group of ordinary middle aged men whose novel approach to their mid-life crisis may have reawakened a bloody conflict from a previous century.

As the rot spreads, literally, and the suspect list extends to people born before Frederick the Great, Tobias and Vanessa will need to find allies in some unexpected places.

And to solve the case they'll have to unearth the secret magical history of a city that goes back two thousand years.

Presuming that history doesn't kill them first.

It's due out in May; I'd expect the Gollancz and Penguin editions to follow sometime after that.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
If anyone is searching for some urban fantasy to read as the holidays sneak up on us, I've stuck both of my e-books (Dream Job, and The Nightmare Maker) on a kindle countdown deal for the next few days. I figured I'd be super original, and have a trenchcoat wearing dork fight monsters in London.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LG31ADK/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074HSFMHB/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Has Peter ever mentioned what his own Signare is? We know Nightingale's (extremely complex clockwork) and the Faceless Man's (a sharpening straight-razor), and Leslie's (A crying seagull) is mixed with both of theirs, so presumably Peter's is something overly whimsical mixed with a lot of disapprovingly glaring clockwork.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

wiegieman posted:

Has Peter ever mentioned what his own Signare is? We know Nightingale's (extremely complex clockwork) and the Faceless Man's (a sharpening straight-razor), and Leslie's (A crying seagull) is mixed with both of theirs, so presumably Peter's is something overly whimsical mixed with a lot of disapprovingly glaring clockwork.

I think Nightengale's is described in various terms; I'm not sure he is quite as specific as the Faceless Man's. I'd like to think that Peter's involves jazz in some way.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Peter's probably like a kazoo played by airhorn, given how irritated pretty much every magical being is the second he starts doing things.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Peter's probably like a kazoo played by airhorn, given how irritated pretty much every magical being is the second he starts doing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E6ljLSOkbY

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
A cuckoo clock kazoo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I feel like at some point he mentions fried plantains but I may be wrong.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I feel like at some point he mentions fried plantains but I may be wrong.

He has that smell to Fleet.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Comfort food and jazz music make sense for him, he's fundamentally a good guy (which is why he gets blindsided a lot.)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Six books into Sandman Slim.

I wish the author was a little better at executing some ideas, and at writing a little bit more clearly. Things can get muddled sometimes, but that just might be that I listen to them while I'm doing other stuff. The books also tend to have a little bit of a rush towards the end.

But I enjoy them, because the main character is as subtle as a cherry bomb flushed down the toilet of magical society. It's fun watching him pinball around and screw things up. It's fun watching him bounce off of other characters, especially Samael.

I keep thinking of it as Iron Druid, except I like the main character.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ornamented Death posted:

Read through at least book 5 of Faust before starting on Harmony Black. I think Schaefer has a reading order on his website.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I’ve been following that progression, currently stalled in Red Knight Falling. Schaefer writes a great Dresden/Verus style book, but the police procedural isn’t his strong suit. Do the other two trilogies get better or should I just go back to reading Faust?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Harmony is pretty clunky. I like the others

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

OptimusWang posted:

I’ve been following that progression, currently stalled in Red Knight Falling. Schaefer writes a great Dresden/Verus style book, but the police procedural isn’t his strong suit. Do the other two trilogies get better or should I just go back to reading Faust?

I quite liked the first two Harmony Black books but they just get progressively worse over the four that have been released. Revanche is different from the rest, it's up to you if you want a dark fantasy. I only read the first one (lack of time more than the quality of the book) but am slightly regretting it now since I loved the Wisdom's Grave trilogy and imagine it would have had even more impact if I'd finished the series. Wisdom's Grave is essentially a big crossover event and while I think the Faust books are all you really need to read beforehand, the more you do, the more you might get out of it. Worth it enough to read through Harmony Black if you're struggling? Probably not.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

OptimusWang posted:

Skip the Harmony books, but Wisdom's Grave is the best thing he's done next to Revanche. (And I have to think it's going to impact the Faust books going forward, since the universe gets shuffled up, several characters who have appeared in the Faust series die and the cosmic status quo gets hosed sideways.)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I see you all talking about better series of the same genre. What's the top of the recommended reading list?

Also theory about original Merlin.
Is he just Harry from the future going back in time to set things up for past Harry?

I'm currently halfway through Cold Days.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Just finished the third Wisdom’s Grave book, really enjoyed it. It wraps up a lot of loose ends that have been dangling for awhile and I’m curious as to where he goes next. Maybe more Faust involving the First Story characters? What the gently caress has the Enemy been doing this whole time? I kinda forgot what he was up to since going through the wild ride of Wisdom’s Grave.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

smertrioslol posted:

Just finished the third Wisdom’s Grave book, really enjoyed it. It wraps up a lot of loose ends that have been dangling for awhile and I’m curious as to where he goes next. Maybe more Faust involving the First Story characters? What the gently caress has the Enemy been doing this whole time? I kinda forgot what he was up to since going through the wild ride of Wisdom’s Grave.

I guess despite the universe shaking poo poo that happens in Wisdom's Grave, it's still a spin-off and the Enemy is Faust's big bad but, yeah, odd he wasn't (seemingly) involved at all.

I wonder if WG had any clues about the identity of the Paladin. There was that brief discussion about the difference between the Knight and the Paladin.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

smertrioslol posted:

I was just coming to post something similar. So post-wisdoms grave we’ve learned:
(Extreme spoilers, obviously)

The Network is down a King, a bunch of support and Adam is off stranded somewhere. Adam is presumably a figure relating to Eden since that is specifically called out as real a few times in the mythology, and he’s clearly not human. His agenda is unclear.

Hell is a failed experiment by Lucifer and an unnamed-but-presumably-responsible-for human religions Angel who burned out and closed Heaven. The Demons of Hell themselves don’t seem to have a particular agenda beyond the usual power and control stuff. Lucifer, we know, is on earth and remorseful about how it all went down and seems to be trying to tacitly help the good guys. Unclear about the heavenly counterpart’s fate in the end. Hell and demons are unique to the Faust/Black Earth.

A bunch of religious backstory gets introduced. God has a son who fucks up a lot, making angels/Kings, the Story, and many Earths. His death in the end disperses the Network to isolated worlds by maybe purifying the magic plane.

The Enemy we know has been in contact with the Network, but his agenda isn’t really clear. The Kings supposedly want to corrupt and breed more humans, he’s laid waste to multiple worlds, which seem at odds.

A lot of interesting changes in the tone of the bad guys. In Faust the Enemy and Network were mythologized as mysterious, terrifying, powerful entities. Faust beat them, but it was always through trickery. In this book among other things The Network gets beaten in a straight up fight by the FBI, Adam is panicked and incompetent,and God turns out to be kind of an idiot who ruined everything from the start.
There’s a lot of nice Girl Power stuff going on which is probably part of it, but it does seem like the bad guys are a lot less omniscient than they were portrayed as earlier.

Overall I enjoyed the series a lot. It’s a big change in tone from Faust, at least until the most recent one borrowed a lot of Faust characters. There’s a lot of plot moving stuff too; clearly the books aren’t going to keep going indefinitely.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Junkenstein posted:

I guess despite the universe shaking poo poo that happens in Wisdom's Grave, it's still a spin-off and the Enemy is Faust's big bad but, yeah, odd he wasn't (seemingly) involved at all.

I wonder if WG had any clues about the identity of the Paladin. There was that brief discussion about the difference between the Knight and the Paladin.

Isn’t Harmony Black the Paladin? Her family history/tragedy is on point for the only hint I remember the Scribe giving about universal recurring Paladin stuff.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

RC Cola posted:

I see you all talking about better series of the same genre. What's the top of the recommended reading list?

Also theory about original Merlin.
Is he just Harry from the future going back in time to set things up for past Harry?

I'm currently halfway through Cold Days.

I've also heard speculation that Merlin could be the gatekeeper

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rumda posted:

I've also heard speculation that Merlin could be the gatekeeper

I'm willing to bet large money on that not being the case.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Velius posted:

I was just coming to post something similar. So post-wisdoms grave we’ve learned:
(Extreme spoilers, obviously)

A lot of interesting changes in the tone of the bad guys. In Faust the Enemy and Network were mythologized as mysterious, terrifying, powerful entities. Faust beat them, but it was always through trickery. In this book among other things The Network gets beaten in a straight up fight by the FBI, Adam is panicked and incompetent,and God turns out to be kind of an idiot who ruined everything from the start.
There’s a lot of nice Girl Power stuff going on which is probably part of it, but it does seem like the bad guys are a lot less omniscient than they were portrayed as earlier.

With regard to that part of the spoiler, I think (also extreme ending spoilers): The Network's big flaw was being arrogant as gently caress. Adam panicked at the end because they'd just never even prepared for the concept that humans would fight back on that level, and they wanted Ezra to perfect his dimension-hopping tech because they could only do it themselves on a small scale (there's a comment at one point to the effect that they had to pretty much strip-mine entire planets for the resources to open mass-scale portals.) The FBI didn't beat them so much as the FBI beat the only forces he could round up and bring to Earth on thirty seconds' notice while everyone was screaming and flailing and poo poo was blowing up inside the Shadow in-Between. And they still would have lost if they didn't have backup from Faust, Caitlin, and the entire coven.

The Network seems to rely a lot on sending one or two skilled agents to oversee local operations on a planet they want, like Mr. Smith or the roach-necromancer-guy from the last Faust Book. They recruited roach-dude on his own world, brought him to the Faust/Black earth, and he started growing his own henchmen from there. And I really want to know what the gently caress Smith's deal is, since he's died twice now (shot in the head by Faust, neck snapped by Cross) and he just keeps showing up again. Also he's the only person the Enemy's rewrite-history magic doesn't work on, and even the Enemy doesn't know why.

And RIP, incompetent rear end in a top hat god. Welcome, competent evil god.

Stuff is definitely ramping up. Also not sure why the Enemy didn't show up at all in the trilogy. The whole interaction between him and the Network is weird, seeing as they want totally different things, but (Faust spoilers) Even Faust was like "Wait, what? That makes no sense." when he found out they were allying, so it's something we're clearly supposed to think is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
[reads Wisdom’s Grave spoilers]

Why don’t I remember any of this happening?

[checks Amazon and sees that the 3rd book was released November 8]

Ffffffffffffuck.