Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wait Janet can be temporarily marbleized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Poor Matt.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Ted Danson’s delivery of “... now there’s a new scary thing” was perfect.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Michael is going to turn out to be an interpretation of Lucifer in rebellion against the system, isn't he?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy forking shirtballs!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What is Season 4 going to be

It is impossible for me to imagine what the hell Season 4 could possibly be

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
callbacks!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Season 4 is gonna be, like, a rotating ensemble of characters that the gang tries to rehabilitate in the new good place or something.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
I'm disappointed that Barney Varmn didn't show up in the accounting office somehow

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I wonder who died in 1497 that made it into the Good Place.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I doubt that the person who got into the Good Place 521 years ago is a real, historical person but looking at deaths in 1497 does bring up this person whose life sounds like Doug Forcett as a medieval nun.

quote:

Having no formal education, she attempted, unsuccessfully, to teach herself to read.[1] While making this effort one night, it is said that the Virgin Mary appeared to Veronica, telling her that while some of her pursuits were necessary, her reading was not. Instead, the Virgin taught her in the form of three mystical letters:

The first signified purity of intention; the second, abhorrence of murmuring or criticism; the third, daily meditation on the Passion. By the first she learned to begin her daily duties for no human motive, but for God alone; by the second, to carry out what she had thus begun by attending to her own affairs, never judging her neighbor, but praying for those who manifestly erred; by the third she was enabled to forget her own pains and sorrows in those of her Lord, and to weep hourly, but silently, over the memory of His wrongs.

quote:

Veronica became accustomed to nearly constant apparitions and religious ecstasies. She saw scenes from the life of Christ, yet these never interrupted her work.[3] She joined an Augustinian lay order at the convent of Saint Martha in Milan at the age of 22.[1] This community was very poor; Veronica's job was to beg in the streets of the city for food.[3] After three years into her vocation as a nun she became racked with secret bodily pains, but was notably patient and obedient to her superiors.[3] She received a vision of Christ in 1494, and was given a message for Pope Alexander VI, and traveled to Rome to deliver it.[1] After a six-month illness, Veronica died on the date she had predicted, 13 January 1497.

quote:

Veronica is remembered in the Augustinian Order for her obedience and desire for work. Butler records a remark she made to her sister nuns: "I must work while I can, while I have time."

She's the only person on the Wikipedia page of 1497 deaths who seems even close to a candidate for the Good Place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

According to a recent interview this episode was (unsurprisingly) extremely difficult to put together.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

ALL THE EMMYS FOR D'ARCY

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was amaze-balls. I really don't have anything more to say.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Holy Mother Forking Shirt Balls

Pinwiz11 posted:

ALL THE EMMYS FOR D'ARCY

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
That was the best episode they’ve done yet.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My favorite Darcy acting moment was when I thought she was going a bit too far with the Jason impression and then it was goddamn Darcy pretending to be Eleanor pretending to be Jason.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nerdman42 posted:

My favorite Darcy acting moment was when I thought she was going a bit too far with the Jason impression and then it was goddamn Darcy pretending to be Eleanor pretending to be Jason.

That was brilliant

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Simply amazing.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

In a just world that episode would get D'Arcy a supporting actress Emmy.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Arist posted:

I guess Abraham Lincoln was a lie, then
I always assumed the podcast bookends weren’t canon, but yeah, confirmed

QuoProQuid posted:

I doubt that the person who got into the Good Place 521 years ago is a real, historical person but looking at deaths in 1497 does bring up this person whose life sounds like Doug Forcett as a medieval nun.

She's the only person on the Wikipedia page of 1497 deaths who seems even close to a candidate for the Good Place.
It’s either that, and/or, 1497 was simply the year that The Bad Place started hacking the gibson. The last person to make it in may well have been a perfectly-decent nobody.

Nice research, though :discourse:

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Dec 7, 2018

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

The unison “Not a lady,” was great.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

pwn posted:

Lincoln was in the show, from Michael. The pilot?

Hendrix and Mozart were podcast ones.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Thranguy posted:

Lincoln was in the show, from Michael. The pilot?

Hendrix and Mozart were podcast ones.
Oops, you’re right.

Speaking of the podcast, I’m listening to it now, and this episode was originally going to be aired after the holiday break. NBC didn’t have new episodes of the other Thursday shows to air with it, but Schur convinced them to run it, in part to better the chances of D’Arcy being noticed as awards season starts to ramp up, so NBC moved poo poo around to make it happen.

That’s very cool, and good.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

pwn posted:

It’s either that, and/or, 1497 was simply the year that The Bad Place started hacking the gibson.

Do we know if that's true, or is it just what Michael thinks? Points for an action apparently never change, perhaps a few things that got assigned negative points the first time they happened centuries ago are super common now. Maybe the first person to sleep alone on a mattress got penalised because they didn't want to share it and gave somebody else an uncomfortable night, or... I can't think of any good examples.

Oh hey, "The most recent resident of The Good Place arrives." is on the year's Wiki page, I wonder how long that will stay.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

pwn posted:

It’s either that, and/or, 1497 was simply the year that The Bad Place started hacking the gibson. The last person to make it in may well have been a perfectly-decent nobody.

Nice research, though :discourse:

I’m just going to put my theory for this here: I actually think it’s the Good Place Committee that was mentioned offhandedly, that decided No More New Arrivals, and not Bad Place hacking.

And yes, that episode was amazing, Darcy was incredible.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Harrow posted:

What is Season 4 going to be

It is impossible for me to imagine what the hell Season 4 could possibly be

Bill and Ted's excellent adventure

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Or, in accordance that People Can Change In The Afterlife, one of the Good Place residents became bad and just prevented any new arrivals?

I mean if someone like Mindy could have ended up in The Good Place, I imagine not everyone that actually got in were immaculate souls.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

uvar posted:

Do we know if that's true, or is it just what Michael thinks? Points for an action apparently never change, perhaps a few things that got assigned negative points the first time they happened centuries ago are super common now. Maybe the first person to sleep alone on a mattress got penalised because they didn't want to share it and gave somebody else an uncomfortable night, or... I can't think of any good examples.

Oh hey, "The most recent resident of The Good Place arrives." is on the year's Wiki page, I wonder how long that will stay.

5 hours, apparently.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I just realized what this show reminds me of: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And it's the greatest compliment I can give it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

pwn posted:

Oops, you’re right.

Speaking of the podcast, I’m listening to it now, and this episode was originally going to be aired after the holiday break. NBC didn’t have new episodes of the other Thursday shows to air with it, but Schur convinced them to run it, in part to better the chances of D’Arcy being noticed as awards season starts to ramp up, so NBC moved poo poo around to make it happen.

That’s very cool, and good.

I'm tremendously impressed that they recorded an entire episode with the whole cast (though in street clothes without makeup) for D'Arcy to listen to over and over and and refer back to.

also:

"What was the thing you had to kiss?"
DARCY: It was a long, tall pole with fake plastic lips on it.

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 7, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

I just realized what this show reminds me of: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. And it's the greatest compliment I can give it.

Props for posting that on page 42.

One little bit I noticed: Janet's wedding album for her and Janet includes a "Jeremy Bearimy" with an arrow pointing to when it happened.

Also, I now want an American remake of Orphan Black for D'Arcy to star in.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 7, 2018

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
When I saw the title, Janet(s), I thought, "Oh, we're going to see all the other Janets in the void." Haha, nope!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The corner piece :negative:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

uvar posted:

I think the idea is that the point values haven't changed, but maybe the Bad Place hacked the threshold figure for getting into the Good Place. So the same amount of points that used to get you in, now doesn't.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Something's off about the goddamn point threshold. Doug Forcett has 520.000 points. And he still doesn't get in somehow. What do you need to get into the good place?! Does every person who does get into the good place increase the threshold by 1000 points?!

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
It’s not just a matter of the points threshold if innocently stuffing an eggplant full of hot sauce and nickels so you can have sexy with it is worth over -9 000 points. First clue was Neil glibly referring to assigning points values for novel actions as working out how many points they’d lose, as if the sign of the modification was a foregone conclusion.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

They talk about weird sex things as if they all get negative points, when really most should be neutral to positive if they’re not illegal or hurting anyone. I’m betting the same is true for other actions as well - humans are constantly doing things the accounting team finds gross/weird/strange, so accounting is always assigning negative points to everything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

uvar posted:

Do we know if that's true, or is it just what Michael thinks?
I think it's not so much what he thinks but what he's been told.

This is all a bureaucracy, and in a bureaucracy people don't care about what's going on outside their department. Generally people only know what's going on in other departments through hearsay or from their bosses, and and long as the system in general is still chugging along, everything is fine. Yeah, nobody's gotten into the Good Place for five hundred and change years, but the system itself is still chugging along so obviously it's working as intended.

As far as Michael knew up now, the system was working correctly and people were going to the Good Place, because he had no reason to think otherwise and besides, that's not his job. He just worries about the people being sent to the Bad Place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

.Z. posted:

Holy Mother Forking Shirt Balls

Audio dropped on my TV when she said this. Really appropriate.