Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just like Gold Squadron coming down to stream the Aussie SOS. We have our stream teams down here that we would rather have streaming the event.

Also, our guys and gals don't beg for money like a telethon each round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Raged posted:

Just like Gold Squadron coming down to stream the Aussie SOS. We have our stream teams down here that we would rather have streaming the event.

Also, our guys and gals don't beg for money like a telethon each round.

Are your guys not allowed to stream because they're going down there?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also, at least some of the community down there wants them to go, since they're partially funding the trip for him. Weird thing to be upset about.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

The Gate posted:

Also, at least some of the community down there wants them to go, since they're partially funding the trip for him. Weird thing to be upset about.

Yeah I'm probably being a crank.

In other news, Australia's System open has almost sold out in 12 hours. About 40 Tickets left out of 200. It's still 9 months away.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
We definitely need another one... in Adelaide

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

hoiyes posted:

We definitely need another one... in Adelaide

Might move around each year or we get 2. There are a lot of people who did not realise that tickets went on sale today. I could see it hitting 250+ easily if there is space for more tickets.

I want those templates sooo bad.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

Might move around each year or we get 2. There are a lot of people who did not realise that tickets went on sale today. I could see it hitting 250+ easily if there is space for more tickets.

I want those templates sooo bad.

If I wasn't broke i'd be super tempted to pull the trigger and just buy a set. The Biggs 3-straight is just :perfect:

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Ah great. Android app update. Release notes include "added new factions", "hyperspace format". But.... none of that is in the app.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Aussie SOS is now sold out. 250 tickets in 24 hours

This is gonna be awesome

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Are your guys not allowed to stream because they're going down there?

Well, it's official now. Gold Squadron has exclusive streaming rights to the Aussie SOS. No Aussie streamer are going to be allowed. Only way a "local" stream" can happen is if GSP gives permission.

What a load of poo poo

edit: Dion is saying he knows nothing about it and won't stream if Aussies can't stream

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 13, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Whaaaat? Who even makes that call? Who runs events down there? Up here some lovely company called Cascade Games runs all of FFGs convention based tournaments.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Whaaaat? Who even makes that call? Who runs events down there? Up here some lovely company called Cascade Games runs all of FFGs convention based tournaments.

LPG the Aussie distributor

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So these oddly-sized and long threat cards...why? They do not fit regular sleeves, can't even be put in card sheets because they are too wide, and no one loving uses Threat Cards for literally anything. These are the worst 'prize support' cards ever. I'd rather have a jab to the throat.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

But I'm really bad at this game. I mean, I have a ton of it and I play it in my backyard sometimes, but I'm not a tournament player. Plus my shows are like... all digression.

I'm middling at this game and my name also starts with a J. And besides, no one listens to X-wing podcasts, nothing could go wrong!

Edit: For that matter, who would even care about a tournament level podcast? Anyone high up enough to be in non-local tournaments likely has other sources of information. Paul Heaver isn't going to listen to a podcast for strats.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 13, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Edit: ^^^^ No joke, I know alot of bullshit about the EU, I have the old Star Wars encyclopedia, and me and my fiancé are middling players. I could go in detail about all the obscure ships and all the pilots behind it. It'd probably be less crappy than 90%, especially if people make jokes

Also, name starts with J too.

enigmahfc posted:

So these oddly-sized and long threat cards...why? They do not fit regular sleeves, can't even be put in card sheets because they are too wide, and no one loving uses Threat Cards for literally anything. These are the worst 'prize support' cards ever. I'd rather have a jab to the throat.

I agree with like 90% of what you say, but my local group does use the threat cards a fair bit cause it makes for easier pick up games we are finding.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm middling at this game and my name also starts with a J. And besides, no one listens to X-wing podcasts, nothing could go wrong!

Edit: For that matter, who would even care about a tournament level podcast? Anyone high up enough to be in non-local tournaments likely has other sources of information. Paul Heaver isn't going to listen to a podcast for strats.

I mean, plenty of local players go to their local events, there were a lot of PA players at PAX for example. And not everyone knows or is in a group with people like Paul. If you don't have someone like that to talk to and learn from directly, hearing them discuss things that are good in terms of play and builds is one of the only ways you'll improve besides discovering it all for yourself. Which is slow, and potentially impossible if your local group doesn't have people with a similar mindset or are simply "bad" players.

The other option is to watch recorded games (or in vassal) and see if you can predict what players do in a match, and why they do it. Both are useful tools to improve your own play. Competitive X-Wing is about playing a great list that you think you can play well, and trying to make no mistakes while doing so.

Personally I'm not quite that good, yet, but I've hit a point where playing games against a lot of the less good players locally just isn't enjoyable. It's not fun to win because your opponent sets up in a random way, or constantly makes moves that make no sense and leave their own ships unsupported, or constantly changes targets and never go for killing shots, etc. It's not fun for me or them if I stomp them, and neither of us is learning anything. Most of the people at our store at least are not like that, but there's a couple in particular that make one bad roll, then blame their entire loss on dice, and not on their terrible moves and decisions in game.

A "bad" list that's played well can still be an interesting match if you're not playing it against something relatively broken (cough cough Redline, quad Phantoms, Boba) but no list played badly is very interesting.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, predictive shot seems like a real good force power. Maybe for generic inquisitors?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

enigmahfc posted:

They fit in FFG brand Tarot sized card sleeves! :10bux:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, predictive shot seems like a real good force power. Maybe for generic inquisitors?

Yeah I think it's an actually okay pick for the low init force pilots that can't really utilize Supernatural. Hard part will be getting things in your bullseye arc.

I really wish Supernatural hadn't been printed though, it's so much stronger than every other option for high init pilots. It would be awesome to take Hate, or Sense, or Predictive on something like Kylo or Vader or Luke. But no, instead SR is practically stapled to those ships permanently unless they remove it from the game or pump it up to 20+ points.

Just remove it and advanced sensors from the game and make people actually have to think about their dial instead of doing whatever and fixing it after everyone else has moved.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think the upcoming Evasion is gonna be good on Vader. No boost makes him a less than stellar arc dodger.

Supernatural is pretty restrictive without boost, too, and while it’s great, I feel like I’m paying too much for something I can only half use.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

The Tie Advanced Prototype was one of my favorite ships from 1.0. I really like the idea of that force power on the generic inquisitors. 2 of them with predictive shot/FCS along with Whisper/Vader/Juke/Collision Detector leaves 31 points for something else.

Edit - take off collision detector and I can fit in a generic barrage rocket bomber.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, I have been hurting for content in the recent EU Bonus episodes, maybe I'll go through the stacks and talk about Esege Tuketu, or Viktor Hel or whatever. Of course, a reasonable chunk of them are just NPCs with one sentence descriptions ripped from the pages of the RPG. But not all of them!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Paul Heaver isn't going to listen to a podcast for strats.

well after the last 3 Worlds maybe he should!* :rimshot:

*paul is and will always be better than me at xwangs

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

The bullseye arc pretty much kills it, otherwise it would be a really excellent boost for 2 dice force users.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

Well, I have been hurting for content in the recent EU Bonus episodes, maybe I'll go through the stacks and talk about Esege Tuketu, or Viktor Hel or whatever. Of course, a reasonable chunk of them are just NPCs with one sentence descriptions ripped from the pages of the RPG. But not all of them!

I'm sure the Star Wars Galaxies ships have some uh..wonderful fluff.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Won a three round Battle of Yavin event with a TIE swarm. In my opinion, it's the strongest swarm you can put on the table currently.

A Yavin Squad

(40) "Howlrunner"
(1) Crack Shot
Points 41

(32) "Mauler" Mithel
(3) Swarm Tactics
Points 35

(40) Iden Versio
(1) Crack Shot
Points 41

(30) Gideon Hask
Points 30

(30) "Wampa"
Points 30

(23) Academy Pilot
Points 23

Total points: 200

It's mostly teched for its worst matchup: Super Luke. Three Ties that can fairly reliably throw 3 dice primaries, and the other two with crackshot to push damage through with their two dice, plus a blocker. Swarm Tactics almost always goes to Wampa and is such a clutch combo. After Wampa, Howl, Mauler and Iden shoot, there's always a damage card for Gideon to throw his extra dice. I was pretty down on Crack shot, thinking it wouldn't get used enough, but I'd say I spent them at least 75% of the time, which is straight up 0.75 damage per game for a point, really great return. I also learnt not to try to make it happen (I barrel rolled Iden for the r1 crackshot instead of focussing and rolled 3 eyes) just play your game and it will probably eventually happen if your pointing them at the enemy.

However didn't face any of the Lukes. First game was against a tie swarm in the hands of a first time swarm player. Made the error of assuming I wouldn't fly my formation through a rock and turned away. I flew through the rock and hit the side of his formation, scattering it with the help of his average greens. 200-0, with my Academy getting the killshot on 3 ties and being promoted to Alpha Squadron on the spot.
Second game was a rebel swarm 3 X wings and two ion Ys. We just set up for a straight joust. He had some great green dice that saw his targeted Xwing survive the first volley of 12 dice, but his reds were pretty garbage and Iden survived his counterfire with one hull and using his ability. The academy, of course, then sniped the last hull off the Xwing to give me a good lead in the damage race, that left a limping Y on the board at the end of the game for the loss of Iden and Wampa. 170ish-61 iirc.
Final round was vs another TIE swarm. His main mistake was giving me initiative, which in the mirror means I'm going to wreck your formation and also that Wampa will always get his extra dice when Swarm tactics is on. First engagement was textbook range 2-3 shots. We traded Academies, who were the only ships we could focus fire on. I came out with a slight advantage, as my opponents Iden spent his charge. Wampa blocked his formation onto a Debris cloud as mine swung around, and his formation jammed up, getting off only 1 action, whereas mine could stay in formation and all got focus, which is decisive in swarm v swarm. He lost Howl and Seyn for a card on wampa. With the debris cloud stressing everyone out, it was mostly mostly chaos/mop up from here, his Del Meeko alive at time vs my 5 named ties. 169-38

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Krayts put up 2.0 stats, hopefully FFG has stuff like this working on the January patch (they don't)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WG82luy88hUfgznX80gYk80CVZko6HMXDbhka8DOAT4/edit?usp=drivesdk

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

alg posted:

Krayts put up 2.0 stats, hopefully FFG has stuff like this working on the January patch (they don't)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WG82luy88hUfgznX80gYk80CVZko6HMXDbhka8DOAT4/edit?usp=drivesdk

What do I do with this?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Check out my spreadsheets!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I know they're trying to help pinpoint balance issues, but groupthink is a big part of "Meta Problems" and I feel like stuff like this just exacerbates the problem by getting more people focused on build around what has got results, rather than what could get good results.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Just look at my goddamn spreadsheets!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

I know they're trying to help pinpoint balance issues, but groupthink is a big part of "Meta Problems" and I feel like stuff like this just exacerbates the problem by getting more people focused on build around what has got results, rather than what could get good results.

It can have that effect, sure, but if you look at lists from event to event there's still evolution going on. From Boba Guri early on; to Boba, Palob, and friends at PAX. We're still seeing new stuff with each event (Dash/Roark from nowhere to two top cuts in a row), and even Scum and Imperial lists aren't staying static. There's a smallish number of effective things, but they're getting remixed in different ways in various lists.

Identifying what things are extremely commonly making top appearances is a good tool for where to look for potential issues. Like, not every top list probably needs massive adjustments, but I don't think you can argue that a bunch of them do.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I don't need a spreadsheet of every ship in the game to know that Whisper/Juke, Redline and Boba/Han need a points increase though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
It does an excellent job in particular of pointing out that init 5 is used disproportionately much, which implies that they haven't got the points increases per unit init quite right yet.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

I don't need a spreadsheet of every ship in the game to know that Whisper/Juke, Redline and Boba/Han need a points increase though.

Yeah, no kidding, but how many other problem ships are there? Would you be able to spot them all just by glancing at tournament results with no stats at all?

I swear I don't understand this mindset of hating actually examining the state of the game. "Just eyeball it" was basically how we got into most of the disaster that was 1E, and 2E has the tools to avoid a lot of that thanks to points balancing. You lose literally nothing at all by having this kind of data available, and you gain at least some insight into what is working. That doesn't preclude there being other things that are good, broken, etc. But it's a starting point to examine things more in depth.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The Gate posted:

"Just eyeball it" was basically how we got into most of the disaster that was 1E, and 2E has the tools to avoid a lot of that

Literally the only thing that made 2.0 balanced for the most part was 6 years of beta testing with 1.0. I have full confidence in the devs to completely poo poo their pants once a bunch of completely new ships/factions show up.

And yeah, the devs should be collecting this kind of data. Good balls on podcasts who want to cement their plastic toy cred and celebrity doing it is just funny.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If they didn't gently caress up the app, if they built proper integration with their tournament software, if they had a full API...they'd have all of this at their fingertips in real time.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

enigmahfc posted:

Literally the only thing that made 2.0 balanced for the most part was 6 years of beta testing with 1.0. I have full confidence in the devs to completely poo poo their pants once a bunch of completely new ships/factions show up.

And yeah, the devs should be collecting this kind of data. Good balls on podcasts who want to cement their plastic toy cred and celebrity doing it is just funny.

I mean, you do realize that a lot of the podcasters and so on both talk directly to the developers and/or are involved in playtesting stuff? So like, yeah, they're putting this out there because it's what's being examined by the playertesters (or at least some of them) when they give feedback, etc. And it's helpful to anyone who's playtesting that isn't as connected to the people creating these spreadsheets by giving them access to info they might not have otherwise. Plus it gives the wider community a look at this stuff they probably wouldn't have otherwise. If you don't want to look at it, you don't have to I suppose, but it's neat to see.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

If they didn't gently caress up the app, if they built proper integration with their tournament software, if they had a full API...they'd have all of this at their fingertips in real time.

The app is SUCH a goddamn clusterfuck. It could and should have been an amazing resource but instead it's a barely functional mess that STILL fails to get rules right (Maul's effect is not reliably allowing Dark Side on Rebel ships).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

The app is SUCH a goddamn clusterfuck. It could and should have been an amazing resource but instead it's a barely functional mess that STILL fails to get rules right (Maul's effect is not reliably allowing Dark Side on Rebel ships).

The App is...functional. It hasn't been a "clusterfuck" since like, day 2. Situational dependencies like Maul's upgrade have broken every major app I've used at one point or another. Launch Bay Next still has errors, too, like Talent slots on ships that don't have it, or not properly restricting Limited cards. Every app has bugs, period.

However, the App is just poorly designed. Even if it worked perfectly (which it doesn't), it would still be frustrating and slow to use. I won't switch to the official App until I can build a squad quickly and easily.