Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

4/3rumors mentioned Olympus was working on, then recently scrapped, a 400mm f/4.

Shame, I would have loved to have seen that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Still happy with my Panasonic 4/3 too. Light, fast, sharp, p. good range, fair color. Perfectly yeoman-like.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I finally got around to getting my GX85 out for some shooting today, had a good time shooting winter berries with the 60mm macro (can post some examples once I get them off the camera). I love the size and weight of the camera, and the fact that you can shoot one-handed macro shots while adjusting the manual focus with the pinky finger of your holding hand while you use your other one to hold some branches out of the way. I love the articulating screen too.
Things I would change or upgrade for: a dedicated MF/AF switch or button. I've got the 4k shot button remapped to do focus mode selection, but it's not in the greatest place. Also all those little function buttons on the back... I'd actually prefer fewer and easier to use ones.
The whole rangefinder side EVF isn't really a big deal for me, I still press my nose against the LCD, but I do appreciate how it makes the camera more compact. I keep the camera and 3 lenses plus a pocket power bank and my keys in a small canvas man-bag sling, and I'd have to get something bigger if the camera got appreciably larger.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 4, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The gx85 is an incredible camera even after a couple years

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

qirex posted:

I got one of the DSPTCH braided straps last weekend and I really like it, it's not as light or compact as the webbing ones but it's a lot more comfortable. I also have a DSPTCH sling strap and ...if you leave your strap one length I think the DSPTCH one is better.
I've had both of these for a couple of years now, and yeah I like DSPTCH stuff.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I went ahead and bought an X-T3. My favorite thing so far is geotagging through Bluetooth and the remote release over Bluetooth. Now I have to ditch Lightroom because I’m not trying to subscribe to it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SimpleCoax posted:

I went ahead and bought an X-T3. My favorite thing so far is geotagging through Bluetooth and the remote release over Bluetooth. Now I have to ditch Lightroom because I’m not trying to subscribe to it.

Have you tried Capture One? I like it a lot better than Lightroom. The ease of sessions vs a full catalog plus the color editing tools are really terrific reasons to switch.

AMBFR -- should get you 10% off Capture One 12.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

holocaust bloopers posted:

Have you tried Capture One? I like it a lot better than Lightroom. The ease of sessions vs a full catalog plus the color editing tools are really terrific reasons to switch.

AMBFR -- should get you 10% off Capture One 12.

I think I will probably buy Capture One but their pricing history doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to count on them.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I took a quick grope at the Capture One free trial this weekend, but it wasn't quite clicking for me. I'm sure it would get better with more use and training, but nothing immediate was making me want to switch from Lightroom.

Of course I'd also be paying the full price if I bought it. If I were able to buy a cheaper, camera specific version like Fuji or Sony, it would be a lot more interesting.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been testing Capture One cause lightroom doesn't support the Z6 yet and it's... ok... but I don't really like it that much. A lot of the interface feels a little clunky to me and, probably the worst thing, the color wheels aren't arranged the same way as video color wheels and it really fucks me up. In Resolve magenta is at the top while in Capture One it's green. Every time I try to use them I instinctively push colors the wrong way. Is there a way to change the orientation?

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

powderific posted:

I've been testing Capture One cause lightroom doesn't support the Z6 yet and it's... ok... but I don't really like it that much. A lot of the interface feels a little clunky to me and, probably the worst thing, the color wheels aren't arranged the same way as video color wheels and it really fucks me up. In Resolve magenta is at the top while in Capture One it's green. Every time I try to use them I instinctively push colors the wrong way. Is there a way to change the orientation?

I believe that you can change the color wheel type in the options.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

tino posted:

Well I have also been a fluckr pro member since it was first offered under yahoo. My main concern is the archive aspect of the service.

I want the cloud backup service I use stay in business 40,50 years from now. I was doing offline backup of my photos but lapsed a few years ago. Plus I only have my camera photos on google photo and flickr. This wasn't a big deal until my baby was born and I started shooting way more camera photos than "real photographs".
I would not consider Flickr (or any Flickr-alike service) to be a cloud backup service. You aren't able to upload RAWs or catalogue files, you can't easily restore from the site, and the files you get back will have been altered by the platform for sharpening and compression (if you uploaded tiffs, you get back jpegs, if you uploaded jpegs, you get back smaller jpegs). Sharing and storage have different service priorities, if you care about storage specifically, you should have a storage solution like Backblaze, Amazon Glacier or some other actual file storage service.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

accipter posted:

I believe that you can change the color wheel type in the options.

Thank you! That's gonna make it a viable option for me. I guess I'm not used to having that kind of option but glad it's there.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Looking at the docs for Photos.app it looks like iCloud stores both RAW and JPEG versions, which seems nice for backup. Now I just wish they had a decent option for sharing smaller albums of photos. I recently tried exporting and sharing photos via Google Photos and the workflow kiiinda sucked.

Also, Amazon recently had the Oly 14-40 2.8 Pro on sale for $599 (white box) and I had to stop myself from pulling the trigger. Someone please tell me that wasn't a smokin' deal I just missed.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dangerllama posted:

Also, Amazon recently had the Oly 14-40 2.8 Pro on sale for $599 (white box) and I had to stop myself from pulling the trigger. Someone please tell me that wasn't a smokin' deal I just missed.

Nah if you keep an eye out on the fredmiranda.com forums, those come up pretty frequently for 425-450 from what I've seen.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

New?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Used, but the people over there definitely take good care of their gear. I got my 7-14 Olympus lens from there and it's been great.

Edit: if you want new, you could also try greentoe.com and put in a low offer there. I got a new EM1 Mk2 for 1250 shipped from there.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 4, 2018

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Rat posted:

I took a quick grope at the Capture One free trial this weekend, but it wasn't quite clicking for me. I'm sure it would get better with more use and training, but nothing immediate was making me want to switch from Lightroom.

Of course I'd also be paying the full price if I bought it. If I were able to buy a cheaper, camera specific version like Fuji or Sony, it would be a lot more interesting.

Capture One does have a Fuji specific version now that’s $100 less than the full version. I’m probably going to switch to that once I can get my hands on a gfx 50s on the cheap.

I’ve been using C1 for years and to me there’s nothing better. They just released version 12, I’ve been using it since version 7. It’s much more stable and robust now, but there’s so many features it can be overwhelming. Every part of the program can be customized, so you can tune it to fit your workflow.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Cripes I phrased that poorly :downs:

What I meant was that if they made a lower cost version for my camera (Olympus) the way they do for Fuji and Sony, I'd be more interested.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Used Capture One 12 for a tethered shoot today and I think I might be worth picking up just for that. I suppose it makes sense that it'd be great for capturing since that's where it started. Still, I think I prefer Lightroom's interface by quite a bit and I'm not sure I want to make the jump (especially since I have to subscribe to Adobe CC regardless of whether I use Lightroom.)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Does C1 handle X-Trans (esp. 24mp generation) fine (esp. green) details any better than ACL/LR?

Iridient is still the gold standard for Fuji, but doesn't even try to support/emulate the in-camera image profiles, right?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Does C1 handle X-Trans (esp. 24mp generation) fine (esp. green) details any better than ACL/LR?

Iridient is still the gold standard for Fuji, but doesn't even try to support/emulate the in-camera image profiles, right?

I think Capture One handles Fuji raw files (using it with an X-H1) better than Lightroom. Not by a significant degree but noticeable.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

powderific posted:

Used Capture One 12 for a tethered shoot today and I think I might be worth picking up just for that. I suppose it makes sense that it'd be great for capturing since that's where it started. Still, I think I prefer Lightroom's interface by quite a bit and I'm not sure I want to make the jump (especially since I have to subscribe to Adobe CC regardless of whether I use Lightroom.)

C1 is great for tethered shooting. It was faster for review even with 'app stacking' with Fuji X Acquire compared to Lightroom for me.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

holocaust bloopers posted:

I think Capture One handles Fuji raw files (using it with an X-H1) better than Lightroom. Not by a significant degree but noticeable.

I much prefer the output from C1. Noise removal and sharpening of X-Trans raw files in LR is disastrous.
However, I just haven't been able to get use to the C1 interface and workflow, despite many here and my photography mentor insisting that it's great.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That’s exactly why I use Iridient. If I want the Fuji look I’ll let Fuji give me the JPEG (which is what I do with 99% of the images). On the rare occasion I want a different look I’ll use Iridient which does a phenomenal job, but I only use it sparingly.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Having the Panasonic 25mm f1.8 on my camera most of the time, is it worth it to pick up the Oly 17mm 1.8 as well? I find when I'm not taking pictures of my kids playing soccer, I'm usually doing street/walkaround photos or landscapes. I'd like something wider but don't know if the 17mm would fill that gap nicely, or if it's not that much different from the 25mm, and so I should be looking at something else for wide angle applications. Andy Serkis seems to like 17mm.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'd personally recommend the 15mm 1.7, a little pricier but it is my favorite m43 lens overall and pairs nicely with the 25mm and the 42.5mm 1.7s

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dangerllama posted:

Having the Panasonic 25mm f1.8 on my camera most of the time, is it worth it to pick up the Oly 17mm 1.8 as well? I find when I'm not taking pictures of my kids playing soccer, I'm usually doing street/walkaround photos or landscapes. I'd like something wider but don't know if the 17mm would fill that gap nicely, or if it's not that much different from the 25mm, and so I should be looking at something else for wide angle applications. Andy Serkis seems to like 17mm.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/02/16/the-panasonic-14mm-2-5-micro-43-lens-review-by-steve-huff/

quote:

I always enjoyed the Olympus 17mm but this 14mm is not only sharper and more contrasty it is a bit faster at 2.5 vs 2.8. Hmmm. The 14 would make for a nice standard lens on any M4/3 camera.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

That is comparing to the old olympus 17mm pancake. Also the panasonic 14mm pancake (or version 2) is not sold new anymore.

For another option there is the apsc sized sigma 16mm f1.4.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve got both of those and have been using the Oly far more, however that’s mostly because it’s newer to me. Some clarifications on my end: I’ve got an Oly body, so I went with the Oly 17 over the Pana 15 (also because it’s a teensy bit cheaper). The Oly 17mm is quite a bit smaller than the Pana 25, Even without the lens hood I find the pana 25 to be a little bulky for my tastes, but I love my poo poo small enough to throw in my coat pocket. I enjoy the wideness of the 17 for street shooting, but there are times I wish it were a little tighter. Of course, when I’d take my 25 out on the street, there were times I’d wish it were wider, so depends on what you’re shooting I guess. The 17 is absurdly quick to focus, which ironically makes the cool manual focus somewhat pointless. I have gotten use out of it though, and it’s great how easy it is to switch between AF and MF with that lens.

Overall I’d say both the 17 and the 15 are worth using alongside the 25, as they fulfill different roles. From what I’ve read the 15 is probably the better lens, but I love my 17 so I doubt you’d be disappointed with either. If you’re on a budget just get whichever you can find for cheaper, otherwise maybe just grab whichever fits your body (the pana 15’s aperture ring won’t work on oly bodies, and I’m not sure if the oly 17’s MF ring works or not on pana bodies)

e: I sold my pana 14mm for the Oly 17mm. Maybe I got a dud or something, but it wasn't as sharp as I'd like, the AF speed was average at best, and it made some clicky and whirring noises occasionally when AFing. I don't regret my decision. I've also heard the Pana 20mm is real sharp but slower than a snail when it comes to AF. Also it might be a bit too close to 25mm to make worth getting alongside your other lens.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 5, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ReverendHammer posted:

C1 is great for tethered shooting. It was faster for review even with 'app stacking' with Fuji X Acquire compared to Lightroom for me.

Yeah, it worked extremely well and if I keep getting work from this client I'll buy it just for that.

This was also my first paid outing with the Z6 and I think it did great. It was a studio apparel shoot and even though the gig would have been ideal for the D850's higher res sensor, I was glad to have WYSIWYG focus on my MF lenses. I also wish I'd had lights with faster recycle and remote power control instead of the mix of janky rentals and my ancient alienbees B800.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hello Spaceman posted:

I much prefer the output from C1. Noise removal and sharpening of X-Trans raw files in LR is disastrous.
However, I just haven't been able to get use to the C1 interface and workflow, despite many here and my photography mentor insisting that it's great.

Everything in c1 can be moved and adjusted in the workspace. You can set it up to resemble LR if you want, move the filmstrip and tool tiles around. It’s great.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Anyone used the Epson R-D1 before? I just found out about it today and it looks like my dream camera. Except for, y'know, being a $900 camera with a 6mp APSC sensor.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

what makes it your dream camera? I would recommend a fuji X-pro 1 or 2 instead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

polyester concept posted:

what makes it your dream camera? I would recommend a fuji X-pro 1 or 2 instead.

Honestly it's largely an aesthetic thing, but I like the dedication to analogue style cameras - it's got a rewind lever that's actually function and saves on battery, it's got dials on top to show various information at a convenient glance, and I just love rangefinders. If it was like, <500$ I'd probably pick one up for the fun + novelty.

The X-Pros are definitely great and up there on my list of cameras to eventually get one day. The 2 is out of my price range, and the 1 isn't really enough of an upgrade over my EM10ii to bother getting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
How does a rewind lever save on batteries?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CodfishCartographer posted:

and the 1 isn't really enough of an upgrade over my EM10ii to bother getting.

I mean, other than having different knobs and an actual instead of digital overlay rangefinder, the R-D1 is a 10 year old camera that’s more of a downgrade electronically.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

spog posted:

How does a rewind lever save on batteries?

Instead of using a motor for the shutter you manually cock it, I imagine.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Isn't it in some ways just a voigtlander bessa with digital guts?

If only it had a slightly larger or higher resolution sensor, then it would be even more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Isn't it in some ways just a voigtlander bessa with digital guts?

If only it had a slightly larger or higher resolution sensor, then it would be even more expensive.

Pretty much, which is one reason why I like it. My Bessa is probably my favorite camera to use, and I'd like one with digital guts.

Also I'll admit I didn't know the X-pro series had digital rangefinder overlays. Time to save up! And also hope fuji releases an X-pro 3 so the 2 drops in price.