Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How has Michael been around since the existence of time (or at least the year 0000), and have no idea if the Bad Place is actually messing up the point totals and in fact only now worked his way up to an architect?

Yes yes, Jeremy Bearimy and all that, but maybe Michael's really just not that good at his job after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bureaucracy is hell

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

remember that the good place was michael's first post as an architect. before that he was ... assistant architect? Just another torturer pulling out people's tonsils via their feet?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think a more likely, (and arguably better) direction for the show would be rather than having the bad place interfering with the system, reveal that the system itself has naturally become flawed - maybe as humanity expanded and society grew more complex it became harder and harder to get points vs lose points, such that fewer and fewer people were getting in until it eventually stopped. The system is broken because its expanded too far beyond the original scope.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No one ever actually got to know the people getting into the Bad Place before Michael's system forced them to. How would anyone notice that the system seems unfair when all they're doing is torturing the people they get non-stop.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
"Because freaking out about everything is my identity."

Same, Chidi, same.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
So what this means is that no one in the last 500 years has exceeded the moral standard set by Mindy St. Claire.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

I think a more likely, (and arguably better) direction for the show would be rather than having the bad place interfering with the system, reveal that the system itself has naturally become flawed - maybe as humanity expanded and society grew more complex it became harder and harder to get points vs lose points, such that fewer and fewer people were getting in until it eventually stopped. The system is broken because its expanded too far beyond the original scope.

That makes a lot more sense.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I really see it being this. We saw how new actions get "judged" so as society and technology expands more new actions crop up and are arbitrarily judged as bad because gently caress context, motivation and circumstances do you know how long that would take with the population boom and people living longer etc??

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

The Lord Bude posted:

I think you're on the right track, but I don't think it became flawed, I think it's been flawed from Day One. I was honestly shocked to hear someone got into the Good Place 521 years ago, because I've long since started assuming that nobody had ever gotten in.

Michael thought the system was being interfered with, but he's wrong. The system is inherently unjust, and it needs to be completely overthrown.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So what this means is that no one in the last 500 years has exceeded the moral standard set by Mindy St. Claire.

We Need More Cocaine.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
It seemed to me it has something to do with age. The accountant acted like Doug was doing well until he mentioned his age. Maybe the longer you live the higher your point total needs to be.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

CapnAndy posted:

The system is inherently unjust, and it needs to be completely overthrown.

Well, killing God would be the perfect segue into Nietzsche.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So Mindy died in the 1980s, and it's been about 300 years since the gang died. That's still about 170 years accounted for, but maybe the moral dilemma of Mindy St. Claire broke the system.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the charitable version of Forcett's age being a factor is that a points system designed with fairness in mind would try not to advantage those who were lucky to die old. A person who dies as a 40 year old simply has more time to accumulate positive or negative point values than a person who dies a the age of 25. So you adjust the threshold depending on ageo, which apparently means the points required at 65 is a hell of a lot higher than 500k positive points.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

double nine posted:

the charitable version of Forcett's age being a factor is that a points system designed with fairness in mind would try not to advantage those who were lucky to die old. A person who dies as a 40 year old simply has more time to accumulate positive or negative point values than a person who dies a the age of 25. So you adjust the threshold depending on ageo, which apparently means the points required at 65 is a hell of a lot higher than 500k positive points.

That's what I'm leaning towards as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

double nine posted:

That does raise the question of how many points you'd need to have to get into the Good Place at the age of 65. Doug's spent his life generating that total and it's not enough?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

That does raise the question of how many points you'd need to have to get into the Good Place at the age of 65. Doug's spent his life generating that total and it's not enough?

I skipped through the episode where Tahani peaks at everyone's point total , she was second to last and her point total was somewhere in the 900k region, with fake eleanor at above 2 million points. Granted: these were made up by Michael which could mean anything, but it's the only thing we can use as a plausible benchmark.

I just want to re-iterate my love for "They're SAFE! ... from the old scary thing, now there's a new scary thing".

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 7, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

double nine posted:

I think it's a combination of that and what other people are saying. People are living longer, and things that might have mattered when the system started are no longer being done or don't mean the same thing. I mean, giving someone a rock got what, 10000 points? Seriously? If it still gets someone that many points what other dumb poo poo that no one does anymore is still around, but that they haven't bothered to update?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If only Janet's powers worked on Earth, she could turn all coins into rocks and get everybody into the Good Place by gaming the system

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

seaborgium posted:

I think it's a combination of that and what other people are saying. People are living longer, and things that might have mattered when the system started are no longer being done or don't mean the same thing. I mean, giving someone a rock got what, 10000 points? Seriously? If it still gets someone that many points what other dumb poo poo that no one does anymore is still around, but that they haven't bothered to update?
Except we know that intent and context are huge influences on the point score, as actions done expecting a divine reward garner no points, no matter how virtuous. Giving someone a rock for the first time, when doing something nice and helping your fellow man even to your detriment was a completely new idea and thus couldn't be expected, is worth a lot of points. Giving money to charity today, with heavy sociological pressures on multiple sides to do so, is worth less.

Which, yes, is bullshit. But I really don't think there's a logical endpoint for this show that's not making war on Heaven to overthrow an unjust regime any more, so.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So little babies that die at birth go to the bad place? That's some poo poo.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

GreenNight posted:

The exact reason that the concept of Limbo came about.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
This show does such an incredible job with the gimmick episodes. It reminds of Community in that way but with a much tighter overall narrative. God drat I love this show.

The Chidi Eleanor kiss was cool.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I don't know, I think it would be funnier if The Good Place is just babies.

Made your mom smile = 10,000 points

Didn't do dookie on the floor =5656 points

Etc.

And then they died at the ripe old age of 2 months. Head on to the Good Place.

The Good Place is so busy taking care of babies, they didn't have time to notice people weren't getting in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m guessing a lot of babies died in 500 years.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

yorkinshire posted:

It seemed to me it has something to do with age. The accountant acted like Doug was doing well until he mentioned his age. Maybe the longer you live the higher your point total needs to be.
I think it’s just a matter of time needed to accrue the necessary points. However many points Doug had, and he’s in his 30s? Oh yes, he’s doing quite well, he’s on track to hit the mark. Oh he’s near death? Well he’s hosed. He’ll never make up that much ground in that short a time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Anyone else think that the Retirement may be foreshadowing what Michael has to do to uproot the system? It's partially described as having every atom in your body incinerated on a separate star, but what if that's what Michael needs to do? Spread himself through the foundations of the entire afterlife to restructure himself in his image, with the main 4 humans forming a new metric - rather than a points system, a set of Ethical Pillars/Types of good/bad people against whom everyone becomes assessed: Jason the Innocent, Chidi the Theorist, Eleanor the Narcissist and Tahani the Rival.

The titles I just threw out in a few minutes, so they're probably not very good.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

drat that was a fantastic episode.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

D'archive Garden deserves all the awards for that.

The only possible flaw with that episode is that the humans seemed remarkably chill regarding the fact they were apparently now dead and in the afterlife with magical Janet powers. Eleanor is the only one with any afterlife memories after all, the others have only seen a couple of portal doors up to this point.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the slumber party slamdown with Michael after seeing the door did a lot of that heavy lifting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think the slumber party slamdown with Michael after seeing the door did a lot of that heavy lifting.

Yeah, I think after Jeremy Bearamy you just start taking things in stride. Everything else is somewhat sensible compared to that, and a lot of afterlife bureaucracy is easy to get your head around because it's fairly simple, it's just like Earth but slightly worse.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just want you all to know ... the corner cake was a lie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So the real Good Place really does have the anti-swearing rule in effect?

Cause on the podcast they said that was secretly a torture for Eleanor to make her think the rest of the neighborhood was better than her because they don't swear. But now we're meant to assume it's a rule for the actual Good Place too?

Yes, yes, I realize ultimately it's there so they can swear without swearing due to TV censors but it still bugged me just a little. Amazing episode, though.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think it follows that Michael would craft his fake good place to mimic the real one to the extent possible. If you look for more plot holes you can find them though. Maybe I missed it in the podcast, but if Chelenor's home is sneakily terrible, what is wrong with the Jahani mansion? She gets literally everything and he gets a secret man cave.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I mean torturing Eleanor by applying a word filter to her, whilst making her aware nobody else used profanity is effective.
Architect era Michael could see "Nobody swears in TGP, and in case good people do slip up they get autocorrected" as a great way to twist that into a way of torturing his 4 subjects.

Short version : It's funny.

What is wrong with the Jahani mansion?
I think the first eps of S2 Jahani alluded to that, she wanted a giant house but deep down she knew it was more for showing off than because because she deserved it.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 8, 2018

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
It’s part of Michael’s elaborate s1 plan to set Tahani up for failure and make her feel worthless, over and over again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

if Chelenor's home is sneakily terrible, what is wrong with the Jahani mansion? She gets literally everything and he gets a secret man cave.

She's forced to constantly throw parties, since she has the biggest place, and Michael makes sure that the party always goes horribly wrong. It's the perfect torture for someone obsessed with throwing perfect events.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It is a little weird that Michael dived right into the gimmicky tortures like making Jason pose as a monk, rather than starting off with a simple No Exit-type situation, but he's a demon I guess. Can't blame him for acting according to his nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I guess Chidi’s torture was being given a perfect little apartment that he could never spend any time in because he was constantly being enlisted to help other people?