Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Press F to pay respects to Polpo.

Holy poo poo we don't deserve DavidPro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait that doesn't even make sense because this part takes place in the 90s doesn't it?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Glagha posted:

Wait that doesn't even make sense because this part takes place in the 90s doesn't it?

I mean........I first started using chat rooms in the 90s so.......still works

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

that's an edited screenshot guys..

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Glagha posted:

Madmarker posted:

I mean........I first started using chat rooms in the 90s so.......still works

Yeah, but that meme didn't exist until 2014 when Advanced Warfare came out :v:

Vento Aureo takes place 3 years after Diamond is Unbreakable (1999), so it's 2002

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Futaba Anzu posted:

lol goddamnit, it totally is. Oh well, time to make like Polpo and :suicide:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pootybutt posted:

Uh huh. Let's see any of y'all go from "huh. where'd he go" straight to "he must have turned into a tiny person and escaped!."

(you'd think a tiny person suddenly ridind in your pocket would make you weigh noticeably different but eh)

joke's on you i routinely and frequently fight off gnomes trying to jump into my pockets every day of my life and all i have to defend myself is my own fists

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

F to pay respects to my gullible rear end

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Futaba Anzu posted:

Haha, you all fell for my cunning ruse that I most definitely didn't think was real due to my inability to find the scene on YouTube.

:shepface:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Tevery Best posted:

I'm not going to comment on the quality of the Italian since I don't speak Italian, but why is Polpo spelled Volvo in that mail?

"Volvo" is actually Italian for "Naples prison".

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Xad posted:

There's no V in Japanese, the closest sounds you can do are B or P, so...it's probably a typo? Someone saw "polpo" and assumed they were talking about a volvo or something maybe?

Polpo is Italian for octopus iirc

I thought they added a V around the time Sailor Moon started airing, since Venus went from ビーナス in codename sailor V to ヴィーナス in the SM Manga

IIRC golden wind takes place in 2001

:goonsay:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

There’s always been ヴィ but they pronounce it more or less the same way as ビ.

Volvo would be ボルボ though, so even in Japanese the email doesn’t make sense.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 6, 2018

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Dragonwagon posted:

"Volvo" is actually Italian for "Buddhist valley".

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just got caught up and Giorno, buddy, you still drunk piss. I don't care if you turned your tooth into a jelly fish, you still drunk an entire cup of steaming hot piss.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I just got caught up and Giorno, buddy, you still drunk piss. I don't care if you turned your tooth into a jelly fish, you still drunk an entire cup of steaming hot piss.

no it was jellyfish

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DrManiac posted:

The reason Abbacchio hates him is because he refuses to admit this. :v:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Both Stands shrunk because they were mental projections in the first place so their size could be controlled.

This Stand ability never comes up again. Part 3 was still very much Araki making up what would become a great way to show fights.

To be fair when would that have ever been useful?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

Scouting? Surprise attacks? Tasks requiring extreme precision?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RatHat posted:

It's Araki, asking when a weird move would be useful is missing how he likes to write fights.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That whole flashback of La Squadra was just a little blurb about Gelato and Sorbet being killed in the manga.

Lots of foreshadowing there, though, and a neat addition of a detail that really makes more sense.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 7, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
The two Hitmen were named Ice Cream and Sorbet :v:
Also the green haired one is literally called Fish.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"I bet they're out loving" is the most queer representation we've had so far. :allears:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

"I bet they're out loving" is the most queer representation we've had so far. :allears:

And they're immediately fridged. :rip:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

And they're immediately fridged. :rip:

Formalined, to be more precise.

But yeah, that's the risk of going against the boss!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Stuck at work, feelin so horny

Wanna see my perfect little trashson fly his magic ghost plane

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Well it was supposed to get gayer with each episode, how do we top this?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, how in the heck does anyone in La Squadra find Formaggio's power useless after that?

Kikas posted:

Strap in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kikas posted:

we don't

anyway ignoring that shitshow bit i forgot about, i really liked some of the specific choices they made this ep to really highlight the horror aspects that maybe weren't as clear in the manga? idk. but the continuing thumps in the background as they panned across the body slices was great, as was basically everything with Aerosmith silently stalking Formaggio. it's such a fun reversal to have a majority of the ep in "villain" pov and his struggle against an enemy he doesn't yet understand that also serves to hide Narancia's powers from the audience.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

we don't

anyway ignoring that shitshow bit i forgot about, i really liked some of the specific choices they made this ep to really highlight the horror aspects that maybe weren't as clear in the manga? idk. but the continuing thumps in the background as they panned across the body slices was great, as was basically everything with Aerosmith silently stalking Formaggio. it's such a fun reversal to have a majority of the ep in "villain" pov and his struggle against an enemy he doesn't yet understand that also serves to hide Narancia's powers from the audience.

I mean, much of the fight was just a flipped version of Iggy versus Pet Shop.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the flip of it is kinda the important part that makes it feel fresher than it may be, is my main point

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

we don't

That's why I love this fight Narancia feels like the villian here, Formaggio even got his backstory this episode just Mista and Abbachio before him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the flip of it is kinda the important part that makes it feel fresher than it may be, is my main point

Sure, but I was just pointing out that it's an intentional mirroring of what Araki had done before in a very horror-themed fight, which is going the extra mile beyond simply having the hero hunt an out-of-his-depth villain. Dude was clearly having fun with this fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anime only folks, what do you think of the hit squad from what we've seen so far?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They're a bunch of dumbass losers, though that mainly comes from them associating with the current villain, who would have accomplished his goal by just being patient while tailing Narancia.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

despite whatever jokes people make, jojo doesn't have very good or very frequent queer representation so i kind of hope that people don't go in expecting an actual whole lot. 'getting killed' is about as nice as it gets in this series.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
to me, that doesn't take from what the so many queer fans get out of jojo. like there's so much subtextual stuff of how these wildly dressed men interact with each other, not to mention just pissing into each other's mouths and climbing giant oiled rods together. imo araki just isn't interested in writing sexual beyond way to make the next generation

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
so it was at this point that araki finally watched north by northwest was it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Expect My Mom posted:

to me, that doesn't take from what the so many queer fans get out of jojo. like there's so much subtextual stuff of how these wildly dressed men interact with each other, not to mention just pissing into each other's mouths and climbing giant oiled rods together. imo araki just isn't interested in writing sexual beyond way to make the next generation

yeah it's fully valid on that front, i don't want to imply otherwise. it's just all mostly in spite of the source material and not because of it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i kinda hate the jokes
like that sort of stuff has more power and relevance to me when it's in service of recontextualizing something through a gay lens that isn't being acknowledged. jojo is already bursting with bubbling sexuality and homoeroticism due to its roots in fashion so it's like, yeah duh we've been here 25 years. thanks for joining the party, (likely straight) person whose comment on the series is just a regurgitated meme.

of course the meme existing at all is why jojo is relatively uncontested territory so i'm not sure how much i can complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the jokes are pretty tiring after a while. i'm inherently wary of anyone who explicitly, purely defines it as 'that homoerotic-looking series's because there's a good chance i'm not going to be a fan of why they're focusing entirely on that when they joke about it.