Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sulphagnist posted:

The fun part is that we have no way of knowing if this is just mean reversion.

Punditry-wise it of course makes sense to me that some people got turned off by Touko's antics and are happier to give Greens as their response now. I just hope it wasn't entirely cannibalized from SDP and LA.

Which persu do you think converts to Green as soon as Pekka took the reins? :haw:

edit koiravero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

What I'd want to see them do is peel off misguided liberals from voting Kokoomus so that it doesn't get into government, well, ever again really.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sulphagnist posted:

What I'd want to see them do is peel off misguided liberals from voting Kokoomus so that it doesn't get into government, well, ever again really.

Do these people actually exist?

Like I can understand rural liberals voting keskusta because they're dumb and blind and their daddy told them to back in 1975. How can any liberal ever vote Kokkerspanielit?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The alternative is that roughly 20 percent of the electorate are members of the capitalist death cult (and another 10 to 20 are members of the fascist death cult) and that's a scary thought even if it might be true.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

Do these people actually exist?

Like I can understand rural liberals voting keskusta because they're dumb and blind and their daddy told them to back in 1975. How can any liberal ever vote Kokkerspanielit?

Why wouldn't a liberal vote for Kok?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Why wouldn't a liberal vote for Kok?

Mainly because the idea of a party where the main goal is stuffing the pockets of big corporations isn't exactly the liberal ideal.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

Mainly because the idea of a party where the main goal is stuffing the pockets of big corporations isn't exactly the liberal ideal.

Liberals are right wingers

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Liberals are right wingers

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

That doesn't have anything to do with what I said though.

Liberals are FYGM right wingers, obviously they are going to vote for the FYGM right wing party

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Liberals are FYGM right wingers, obviously they are going to vote for the FYGM right wing party

I'll just direct you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism since this is kind of a worthless thing to argue about.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

I'll just direct you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberalism since this is kind of a worthless thing to argue about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoliberalism

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

So you're using a completely different definition than we were in the thread. I mean that's cool and all, but why are we arguing this again?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

So you're using a completely different definition than we were in the thread. I mean that's cool and all, but why are we arguing this again?

Well it's more that anyone describing themselves as a liberal is more than likely a Kok voting rear end in a top hat

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Well it's more that anyone describing themselves as a liberal is more than likely a Kok voting rear end in a top hat

I guess we don't frequent the same circles. I've never heard anyone in Finland use the word liberal except in the older sense of the word.
If I'm wrong and sulphagnist was actually talking of neoliberalism then I guess I was wrong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nurge posted:

I guess we don't frequent the same circles. I've never heard anyone in Finland use the word liberal except in the older sense of the word.
If I'm wrong and sulphagnist was actually talking of neoliberalism then I guess I was wrong.

The only person I remember championing liberalism in Finland is Stubb and I can't think of a more neoliberal rear end in a top hat than Stubb.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

The only person I remember championing liberalism in Finland is Stubb and I can't think of a more neoliberal rear end in a top hat than Stubb.

I mean poo poo, fair enough. Maybe I'm just way too old and out of it. For the record though I was definitely not talking of neoliberalism when I made that comment.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

people who like to proclaim they're liberals either go sniff liimaa at the viskipuolue meetings, vote rkp or vote for kokkelikikkeli from my experience

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Liberals see their historical role with very rose-tinted glasses. Traditional liberal equal rights don't mean equality in a way that makes intuitive sense nowadays. The right to get filthy rich through any legal means is an equal right, the right for all people to marry a member to marry a member of the opposite sex but not engage in sodomy is an equal right, etc. Ranking people in tiers based on wealth, gender, ethnicity or nationality and distributing them equal rights only within their own tier was and to a lesser but meaningful extent still is fair game. Liberal politicians consistently lag behind the popular consensus in implementing the sorts of equal rights that makes sense for minorities and such. If it's done by elected officials, stuffing the pockets of big corporations is the will of the people and only right. And so is pretty much anything else elected officials do as long as they don't break the law or prevalent morality.

Kokoomus is consistently a coalition of the more right-wing and traditional liberals with different points of emphasis, no neo-prefix required. The word neoliberal is more apt to describe parties that arose from bases other than traditional liberalism and became constrained by the liberal framework later on.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HerraS posted:

people who like to proclaim they're liberals either go sniff liimaa at the viskipuolue meetings, vote rkp or vote for kokkelikikkeli from my experience

The difference is that no one actually proclaims themselves as liberal. If they talk about liberalism they usually mean something to the left in my experience. Am I seriously the only one here with this experience?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I once had a date with a girl who told me she voted Kok because there werent any RKP people to vote here in the boonies, and complained that KOK wasnt 'liberal enough' to her

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you want the poor struggling entrepreneur to pay less fees and be able to fire people they don't like, you're fiscally liberal. If you oppose government spending and tax raises, you're fiscally conservative. It's very easy!

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

If you want the poor struggling entrepreneur to pay less fees and be able to fire people they don't like, you're fiscally liberal. If you oppose government spending and tax raises, you're fiscally conservative. It's very easy!

I'm just going to loving vote vasurit as always. gently caress these semantics games.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
RKP brands the heck out of themselves as liberal. They sure hate the idea of an inheritance tax.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

In my experience people who brand themselves liberals are very deeply and honestly concerned with personal freedom, and completely unable to comprehend how the lack of basic needs being met can constrain personal freedom, because they generally come from well-off families and have never known anyone below the median in earnings.

One subtype is the succesful bootstrapper, whose blindspot is on his personal golden ticket and how it structurally cannot help any significant part of the unpriviledged.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nurge posted:

The difference is that no one actually proclaims themselves as liberal. If they talk about liberalism they usually mean something to the left in my experience. Am I seriously the only one here with this experience?

brakeless posted:

In my experience people who brand themselves liberals are very deeply and honestly concerned with personal freedom, and completely unable to comprehend how the lack of basic needs being met can constrain personal freedom, because they generally come from well-off families and have never known anyone below the median in earnings.

One subtype is the succesful bootstrapper, whose blindspot is on his personal golden ticket and how it structurally cannot help any significant part of the unpriviledged.

Literally everyone advocating liberalism or liberals I've seen is of the type where people are free to die in a gutter as far as they care once push comes to shove.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

endlessmonotony posted:

Literally everyone advocating liberalism or liberals I've seen is of the type where people are free to die in a gutter as far as they care once push comes to shove.

Yeah, it's this. Liberalism as it is today is all about the rich advocating turbocapitalism to kill off the poors.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
It's the classic mistake. The error is in thinking that the poors will die quietly.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
They will die quicker, at least.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Did you guyes watch the last Sannikka ja Ukkola, and specifically the version with the backstage discussion? Where they had Halla-Aho in the back. They talked about the rape gangs in Oulu, and near the end Susanna Koski said "he has a lot of good points and I agree with him". That's just an anecdote, you should watch the whole thing.

*this is comment is made in the spirit of watch it then we can maybe talk about it, not I agree with any particular thing that was said

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
If you can't find any good points from any given politician, you probably need to broaden your horizons.

I didn't watch that show so I don't know what they were talking about. BUT STILL!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

marko däs wiit perusti just oman puolueen, gently caress jeah

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://blogit.apu.fi/uuninpankkopoikasakutimonen/

Hnnnnggg

This stupid loving government

gently caress

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Isn't this whole Trafi thing trivially solved by putting the service behind a mandatory strong sign in, like, you know, all the other Trafi services regarding your own cars?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Darkest Auer posted:

Isn't this whole Trafi thing trivially solved by putting the service behind a mandatory strong sign in, like, you know, all the other Trafi services regarding your own cars?

I think being able to get people's names by guessing their sotu numbers is kind of problematic anyway? I mean maybe. Isn't it?

e: Hallitus vittu teuraaksi ja joulupöytään. Näin suomeksi ettei engelsmannit vittuillessaan reppaa. Suomalaiset voi jos kiinnostaa.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 11, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nurge posted:

I think being able to get people's names by guessing their sotu numbers is kind of problematic anyway? I mean maybe. Isn't it?

Yeah you also need to feed in the name to fix it. Once you rate-limit and have strong sign-in tracking who looked up who, the service is much harder to exploit.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

e: Hallitus vittu teuraaksi ja joulupöytään. Näin suomeksi ettei engelsmannit vittuillessaan reppaa. Suomalaiset voi jos kiinnostaa.

Haluatko siis antaa ihmisille ruokamyrkytyksen vai mitä?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Haluatko siis antaa ihmisille ruokamyrkytyksen vai mitä?

Tyypillinen samppanjasosialisti, heti kun ollaan oikeasti syömässä rikkaita niin nokka nyrpistyy ja Katy Perry rupeaa soimaan

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Eikös otsikoissa ollut juuri että kinkkupula uhkaa

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Darkest Auer posted:

Eikös otsikoissa ollut juuri että kinkkupula uhkaa

I prefer the real deal instead of political broilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I prefer the real deal instead of political broilers.

Kaikkien meidän on tehtävä tekoja ilmastonmuutoksen vuoksi, toveri