Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Edit; sorry, nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

I did it with both pregnancies even though I was under 35 and low risk. It’s non invasive and a good screening tool. However with my first I took the test twice and got inconclusive each time - the doctors didn’t know what it meant so they sent us for genetic counseling. It caused some unnecessary stress and worry and baby was completely fine. I still opted to do it with my second though since I like knowing the sex at 12 weeks.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
With my wife going back to work soon, she has tried to pump but is having a lot of problems and pains with that related to overproducing and lack of consistency. I think we're going to move ahead with breastfeeding when my wife is home (mornings, evenings, weekends, and the 2 days or so per week she works from home) and then have grandma who will be watching the baby give formula.

If someone did want to get some HIPP formula, is there a retailer anyone here recommends? Since we're not exclusively formula feeding we're ok with paying a bit of a premium if it really is that much better. We're also going to try Earth's Best just because it's so much more readily available, but my wife does want to give HIPP a shot first. Also, does it matter if we get the German version, UK version, etc. or are they all the same? I imagine they're all the same but my wife seems to think they may be a bit different.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I purchased Hipp off Amazon (Canada), shipped by a UK based seller. To emphasize a previous point, this is not a necessity, and we only purchase it at a price below the local one for most formulas.

I was in France for a while this year and purchased it there as well. I'd think that was the German one but simply didn't look.

BlueCat
Nov 3, 2005
I Demand Satisfaction!
We did the NIPT and found one of our twins had Trisomy 7 and was non-viable. poo poo thing to go through but information was great to have.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Beat Super Mario Brothers Wii with my 5 year old. I still got it

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

pushpins posted:

Beat Super Mario Brothers Wii with my 5 year old. I still got it

The young shall inherit thy Steam account.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Question: my one year old son had his check up at the doc's today, and doc noted:

- My son doesn't crawl, roll, walk unsupported, nor is he able to pull himself up.
- He doesn't eat on his own and if we put food in front of him, he just... throws it on the floor. A bowl in from of him- the floor. Or he dips his thumb into it, slides it around the high chair and THEN throws it off.
- He can't drink a bottle without lying down.

Doc says it's mine and the wife's fault. But any attempt to change any of these behaviours is met with a screaming that can last hours.

Is he right? Is it our fault?
Or is this just slow development?

My girlfriend's taking this pretty hard and is moping about, and I just tell her that it'll come in time.

But, in reality, I'm just as worried as she is.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

Question: my one year old son had his check up at the doc's today, and doc noted:

- My son doesn't crawl, roll, walk unsupported, nor is he able to pull himself up.
- He doesn't eat on his own and if we put food in front of him, he just... throws it on the floor. A bowl in from of him- the floor. Or he dips his thumb into it, slides it around the high chair and THEN throws it off.
- He can't drink a bottle without lying down.

Doc says it's mine and the wife's fault. But any attempt to change any of these behaviours is met with a screaming that can last hours.

Is he right? Is it our fault?
Or is this just slow development?

My girlfriend's taking this pretty hard and is moping about, and I just tell her that it'll come in time.

But, in reality, I'm just as worried as she is.

How did he phrase it, exactly? I hope he didn't just say that this is all your fault and then give you nothing to go or try to improve. It's hard to determine much more without having more to parse from the doctor.

Kids certainly develop at different rates, but if he isn't meeting important benchmarks it can be for a wide variety of reasons, some of which may be in your control, some not. Did the doctor seem concerned or was it more, eh your kid is probably fine and if anything this is more about his nurture components as opposed to his nature?

I'd be loathe to assume that either of you are horrible parents who are damaging your child. You care, kids develop.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Your baby is probably just confused that you have a wife and a girlfriend

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

virinvictus posted:

Doc says it's mine and the wife's fault.

Dude, this is far, far too simple an explanation to be either useful or correct. I don't have direct advice but I am sure that the answer isn't going to be direct blame on parents.

Do you have a nurse's hotline (e.g. 811 in BC)? Call it. Explain what's going on and see if they can connect you with some resources that can actually and practically help.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Is there an easy way to bottle feed with just one hand? If I could just have one free hand to work with, it would change my world.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Heners_UK posted:

Dude, this is far, far too simple an explanation to be either useful or correct. I don't have direct advice but I am sure that the answer isn't going to be direct blame on parents.

Do you have a nurse's hotline (e.g. 811 in BC)? Call it. Explain what's going on and see if they can connect you with some resources that can actually and practically help.

We're in Ontario, and we only have Telehealth. I've never had a good experience with them.

whydirt posted:

Your baby is probably just confused that you have a wife and a girlfriend

Old habit. We've been living together for 3 years, and I just took to it so people would stop asking when I'm gonna marry her. Calling her 'wife' works well enough.

Chili posted:

How did he phrase it, exactly? I hope he didn't just say that this is all your fault and then give you nothing to go or try to improve. It's hard to determine much more without having more to parse from the doctor.

Kids certainly develop at different rates, but if he isn't meeting important benchmarks it can be for a wide variety of reasons, some of which may be in your control, some not. Did the doctor seem concerned or was it more, eh your kid is probably fine and if anything this is more about his nurture components as opposed to his nature?

I'd be loathe to assume that either of you are horrible parents who are damaging your child. You care, kids develop.

I was working, so I wasn't there for the conversation so I only got the gist of it. I know Nico has a problem with textures, and he gets frustrated with new experiences. When we try to help him walk one-handed, he will scream the whole time but while actually doing it. When I put him on his belly, since the age of four months, he goes into a screaming fit until he is being held. I've only been able to handle about 10-15 minutes of not giving in, with no success nor pause in screams. He's only taken a step while not being held, immediately realized he wasn't holding onto anything, and threw himself at me.

He spends a lot of the day walking along the couch, and can go from the couch to the coffee table for hours before getting bored- but if you interrupt it, he then also has a fit.

I don't remember my oldest, ten now, being this stubborn. Hence, why I'm asking for any suggestions.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cocks Cable posted:

Is there an easy way to bottle feed with just one hand? If I could just have one free hand to work with, it would change my world.

A boppy and practice.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

It's probably cause the Doc didn't say that directly. I went through his old posts and he did ask the thread questions as the baby wasn't hitting those milestones in the first year. I know the baby blogs like to say don't stress about milestones but they are in place to insure that kids can get early intervention for any developmental delays that might be a sign of a bigger issue.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
Not saying this is the cause for your baby’s developmental delay but our son wasn’t hitting his milestones either and he got diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy about six months ago just before he turned two, so that may be something to look into.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Man I went onto the page recommended in the OP, "allfortheboys.com", and every post was sponsored content. I guess success got the better of them at some point?

virinvictus posted:

he gets frustrated with new experiences.

When we try to help him walk one-handed, he will scream the whole time but while actually doing it. When I put him on his belly, since the age of four months, he goes into a screaming fit until he is being held. I've only been able to handle about 10-15 minutes of not giving in, with no success nor pause in screams. He's only taken a step while not being held, immediately realized he wasn't holding onto anything, and threw himself at me.

He spends a lot of the day walking along the couch, and can go from the couch to the coffee table for hours before getting bored- but if you interrupt it, he then also has a fit.

I don't remember my oldest, ten now, being this stubborn. Hence, why I'm asking for any suggestions.

(My emphasis.)

Ask your doctor about autism spectrum disorders. This looks like a textbook case. (I am not a doctor.)

My friend's eldest was the same way and didn't get diagnosed until three years old because they didn't have a baseline for comparison. You have the benefit of an older child so your intuition is already leading you right.
There are ways to cope with the disorder and the sooner he gets diagnosed, the sooner you can start finding ways to help your kid overcome.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 5, 2018

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Also, sometimes you have to push stuff even if he cries and fights it. Then it’ll get better, but it certainly isn’t easy.

Our oldest never crawled nor walked on all 4 and it was mostly our fault because he would cry non stop. In the end we had to do some physical therapy to get him to go up stairs and then we’re doing some more right now because one of his legs is/was too weak and his abs are weak. Most of this would probably have been avoided if we forced more tummy time when he was a baby.

He is back to normal or real close and he’ll never be the most physical kid around since it’s just not his personality, but we certainly could/should have done more. That’s coming from who thinks that most of the time you should not force stuff and they will happen in due time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

How and when did y'all get your kiddos to fall asleep on their own? Wife and I were talking today about this because it seems like stuffing him with formula or breastmilk at night before bedtime is only making him spit up or throw up (he's been congested for over a month too which doesn't help) and that having a full belly doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things to keep him asleep because he can wake up for other reasons. So, we don't want to be the parents of the seven year-old who has to be rocked to sleep like a baby because he never learned to fall asleep on his own. Research we found looks to point at babies who learn to fall asleep without parents' help generally need help during the night less regardless of how full their bellies are.

Our problem is our 7mo son gets so pissed when he wakes up that we are afraid he will hurt himself and not sure he's old enough to "cry it out" despite what both our parents keep saying ("you just gotta let him cry it out!"). He just works himself up so much he can't, it doesn't make him eventually fall asleep. In his crib he just scoots on his butt/back and bumps his head on the rails, in his rocker he arches his back and puts weight on the back of the rocker so the motor just buzzes loudly and pisses him off more--not to mention the rocker is another crutch we'll end up having to break if we're not careful. The safest thing would be the pack and play, but emotionally we eventually can't handle the crying and go in and help him. With his state of mind during wakeups, we're just not sure where to start with teaching him how to fall asleep by himself, and his daycare teachers are telling us they will have him dead asleep in their arms and when they put him in his crib there, he wakes up immediately and starts violently crying. We don't have the heart to tell them he's been doing this to us for months and it's par for the course. They don't seem capable of really training him to sleep on his own, and when they tell us they seem exasperated, which I can only imagine is due to the ten babies they have in the classroom most days. I know his nap brain is different than his night sleep brain too.

If anyone has/had a kid like this at this age, would love to hear what you did and/or how you approached getting them to fall asleep without your help.

e: since we've been having a lot of trouble with his sleep since 4mo, every week something new comes up that seems to set back any progress made--this week, it's his first teeth. Oh lawd.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 6, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So we moved to only formula for our 5-week-old son. Moms a lot happier not having to pump all the time and we know exactly how much he's eating, which is comforting to us. We bought a baby brezza which isn't a necessity, but man is it nice having a bottle warm and ready to go in 15 seconds.

Now we just need him to sleep on his back more. In order of preference, he prefers to sleep:

1) Being held by us
2) In his rock and play
3) Bassinet or Dock-a-tot.

He'll be sleeping fine in #1 or #2 and then when we put him on his back at night, sometimes he lasts for a little bit (30-60 minutes), but he inevitably ends up fussing a lot. Sometimes he just needs burped and that gets us another 30-60 minutes of sleep before it's time for him to be changed or fed, but other times he just fusses. In his rock and play he doesn't really fuss much, and very rarely at all when we hold him. We can even put him in the bassinet during the day and we notice he fusses a bit, but not NEARLY as much as at night. The bassinet is in our room, so I'm hyper sensitive to any sound he makes and I don't get much sleep.

We're going to try and start putting him in his crib with a baby monitor at night. That we we hopefully only get up when he needs burped/changed/fed instead of every other time. We're also considering getting a wedge to maybe help him in case he's getting some reflux. Not sure what else to do.

Also bottles: we're using Dr Browns but they are a huge pain in the rear end to clean. They don't really leak on us, but with all the bottles we've tried (Comotomo, Tippee Tommee, Philips Avent, Lamsinoh M0mma), he always dribbles a bit out of the side of his cheek, at least to start with. The Dr. Browns (original nipple) we use seem to get him to dribble the least. He liked the Comotomo and they were awesome to clean, but half the bottle got on his clothes-and that was with the smallest nipple.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The BabyBrezza is great, but be aware if you aren't already, that it has to be set specifically for the type and brand of formula. As in, you have to go inside formula hopper to set a dial based on a table corresponding to what brand so it knows exactly how much to mix with how much water. Right now in fact, we haven't changed a thing in the formula, but I refilled it with the same formula and now it's overfilling with water and not meting out enough formula powder, so I still have to use a packet at night until I have the time and mental clarity to figure out why the gently caress the thing isn't working right, two things of which I am currently in short supply. Packets honestly don't take a whole lot more time than the BabyBrezza, just adds another couple steps.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

life is killing me posted:

The BabyBrezza is great, but be aware if you aren't already, that it has to be set specifically for the type and brand of formula. As in, you have to go inside formula hopper to set a dial based on a table corresponding to what brand so it knows exactly how much to mix with how much water. Right now in fact, we haven't changed a thing in the formula, but I refilled it with the same formula and now it's overfilling with water and not meting out enough formula powder, so I still have to use a packet at night until I have the time and mental clarity to figure out why the gently caress the thing isn't working right, two things of which I am currently in short supply. Packets honestly don't take a whole lot more time than the BabyBrezza, just adds another couple steps.

Yep, I'm all too familiar with the intricacies of the Baby Brezza. We bought the original one you're talking about first, but then the new one came out (faster and digital with a few less parts to clean), and I was able to get that with a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond, so we tried it out and decided to keep it since there's less parts to clean and it's a bit quicker.

We changed up formulas a few times so I was taking everything apart, cleaning it, and then putting it back together while programming the new settings. We haven't had any variations of the amount of formula being used so far, but one thing I noted with the version you have, is when you take out the plastic funnel to clean it after every 3-4 uses, the orange part that you are supposed to wipe with a dry cloth can get a ton of buildup around the circle part of it. I used a toothpick to go around it every time and that seemed to help keep things in check.

I think my only complaints are 1) the price 2) the amount of cleaning you have to do with it. I've started giving it a cleaning before bed because the last thing my wife and I want to deal with is trying to clean the thing at 3 AM while my son is yelling for a bottle.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

How and when did y'all get your kiddos to fall asleep on their own? Wife and I were talking today about this because it seems like stuffing him with formula or breastmilk at night before bedtime is only making him spit up or throw up (he's been congested for over a month too which doesn't help) and that having a full belly doesn't do much in the grand scheme of things to keep him asleep because he can wake up for other reasons. So, we don't want to be the parents of the seven year-old who has to be rocked to sleep like a baby because he never learned to fall asleep on his own. Research we found looks to point at babies who learn to fall asleep without parents' help generally need help during the night less regardless of how full their bellies are.

Our problem is our 7mo son gets so pissed when he wakes up that we are afraid he will hurt himself and not sure he's old enough to "cry it out" despite what both our parents keep saying ("you just gotta let him cry it out!"). He just works himself up so much he can't, it doesn't make him eventually fall asleep. In his crib he just scoots on his butt/back and bumps his head on the rails, in his rocker he arches his back and puts weight on the back of the rocker so the motor just buzzes loudly and pisses him off more--not to mention the rocker is another crutch we'll end up having to break if we're not careful. The safest thing would be the pack and play, but emotionally we eventually can't handle the crying and go in and help him. With his state of mind during wakeups, we're just not sure where to start with teaching him how to fall asleep by himself, and his daycare teachers are telling us they will have him dead asleep in their arms and when they put him in his crib there, he wakes up immediately and starts violently crying. We don't have the heart to tell them he's been doing this to us for months and it's par for the course. They don't seem capable of really training him to sleep on his own, and when they tell us they seem exasperated, which I can only imagine is due to the ten babies they have in the classroom most days. I know his nap brain is different than his night sleep brain too.

If anyone has/had a kid like this at this age, would love to hear what you did and/or how you approached getting them to fall asleep without your help.

e: since we've been having a lot of trouble with his sleep since 4mo, every week something new comes up that seems to set back any progress made--this week, it's his first teeth. Oh lawd.

I promise you that you won't have a 7 year old that needs to be rocked to sleep if you pick up your baby now.

I coslept and nursed to sleep my daughter until I weaned her at 2.5. She still likes to have an adult sit on the foot of her bed now at 4.5, but otherwise doesn't need any special help going to sleep in her bed in her room. At no point did we cry it out. We've just gradually changed the situation as she seemed mature enough for the next step.

So if you don't feel like crying it out is right for you... don't.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I think most of the research has found that routine/consistency is key, whatever way you go about it. It doesn’t matter if you go with responsive settling (controlled crying), settling in arms or any other way, having sleep cues that your baby can rely on is key.

At night, my 9 month old has dinner, bath, into pjs and sleeping bag, breastfeed, book, then is put into the cot awake. We use white noise in the room as well.

For naps, we put her into the sleeping bag, read a book and put her in the cot.

I use the same cues if we’re out and about and she needs to nap in the pram, covering her up with a muslin blanket and playing white noise to block out outside noises.

We did sleep train, but I support anything that gets your baby to sleep in a way that you’re happy with and that respects your baby’s emotional needs.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

cailleask posted:

I promise you that you won't have a 7 year old that needs to be rocked to sleep if you pick up your baby now.

I coslept and nursed to sleep my daughter until I weaned her at 2.5. She still likes to have an adult sit on the foot of her bed now at 4.5, but otherwise doesn't need any special help going to sleep in her bed in her room. At no point did we cry it out. We've just gradually changed the situation as she seemed mature enough for the next step.

So if you don't feel like crying it out is right for you... don't.

femcastra posted:

I think most of the research has found that routine/consistency is key, whatever way you go about it. It doesn’t matter if you go with responsive settling (controlled crying), settling in arms or any other way, having sleep cues that your baby can rely on is key.

At night, my 9 month old has dinner, bath, into pjs and sleeping bag, breastfeed, book, then is put into the cot awake. We use white noise in the room as well.

For naps, we put her into the sleeping bag, read a book and put her in the cot.

I use the same cues if we’re out and about and she needs to nap in the pram, covering her up with a muslin blanket and playing white noise to block out outside noises.

We did sleep train, but I support anything that gets your baby to sleep in a way that you’re happy with and that respects your baby’s emotional needs.

We DO pick him up. Because we want to, and because we have to. He gets so angry the longer he has to wait to be picked up we can't bear it. He does this at daycare too, and recently has had a bout of ear bleeding because he'd scratch his ears every time he got angry at home or daycare. Doc said it was dry ears that were itching him so lotion helped that.

We just don't know when the right time is to sleep train, and feel like we can't do it as long as he's waking up hungry. But, the past few nights with him have been suddenly better; despite being congested and coughing, he will wake up to cough but put himself back to sleep. Sometimes the coughing doesn't wake him. He's woken up only twice at most every night this week, not sure if it's the meds he's on or if he's just exhausted from never napping and two months straight of absolute poo poo for sleep catching up with him now. But it's been wonderful to have him awake only a couple times, especially with my wife's new job stressing her out about getting to work early so she can leave early enough to pick him up from daycare.

We can't put ours into his crib or rock n play awake, he will immediately cry when he senses he's being put down. So, we have to rock him for 15-20 minutes until he's for sure asleep, THEN put him down. Don't get me wrong, this is actually sweet time with him because the days will come soon that he doesn't want to be held anymore, and I love holding him--well, it's sweet time when he's not angry with exhaustion and resisting sleep. We also use white noise and it helps tremendously in GETTING him to sleep, keeping him asleep is another matter, though he will wake up within 2-3 minutes of the white noise being turned off.

So in the end, he still needs rocking, and he gets it. The rock n play has been the best sleep for him so far, but that means we've regressed back into our room all night. It's nice that when he kind of half wakes up, the rocking will get him back down, but we won't be able to rely on that forever. We're having enough trouble keeping food in his belly (congestion for over a month off and on, when it's really bad he throws up all his food and it's congestion that's setting us back from continuing with pureed fruits and vegetables and grains like oatmeal) that it's easy to get worried that we won't see a light at the end of the tunnel unless his congestion goes away pretty quick, because it's kind of affecting everything else.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

We can't put ours into his crib or rock n play awake, he will immediately cry when he senses he's being put down. So, we have to rock him for 15-20 minutes until he's for sure asleep, THEN put him down.

Ugh, I had that phase bad for like 2-3 months too. Eventually we just gave up on trying to get her to sleep in her crib and did co-sleeping for a couple months. Gradually we were able to work her back into the crib, even if she doesn't stay there all night. It will get better, though!

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Is it normal for babies to spit out table food when they first start eating it? My daughter is 8 months old and will down baby food quickly from a spoon but seems to mostly spit out table food that she eats by hand. She takes big bites of whatever it is (banana chunks, cheerios, baby puff cereal, bread etc.), she has all 4 of her front teeth and will break it apart, but then she seems to push most of it out of her mouth. She eats 3 table food meals a day at daycare, and they say she does fine, but at home it seems like most of the food is ending up on the floor or in her chair.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yeah it’s normal, it’s all about them figuring out texture and how big a bite to take. It’ll take time but she’ll get there.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Also my kid has almost always eaten less at dinner than at breakfast and lunch so if she's not as hungry come dinnertime the focus is probably less "get food in belly" and more "woooo let's see what sorts of fun stuff I can do with this!"

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My 18mo likes to take big bites of food, chew/suck on them for a while, then spit it all back out. Preferably into my hand. :eng99: I catch many bits of apple this way.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

sheri posted:

Also my kid has almost always eaten less at dinner than at breakfast and lunch so if she's not as hungry come dinnertime the focus is probably less "get food in belly" and more "woooo let's see what sorts of fun stuff I can do with this!"

This, bigtime. My 14 mo kiddo will eat like 5 bites for dinner and give the rest to the doggo, but the Daycare employees tell us she is finishing her food and stealing food from other babies.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Someone please convince me formula is fine for my baby. As I mentioned in my last post, my wife is having trouble pumping and is about to go to work. The plan is to breastfeed the baby when my wife is home and have grandma (who is watching the baby) give her formula on days my wife is in the office (about 3 days a week). When I do some nighttime feedings, I am giving her formula as well but I actually feel very guilty about it because I think it's not the best for her.

I understand my wife has the absolute right to make the decision and I am doing the formula feedings, but I'm just having a tough time from an emotional point of view. Can anyone point me to some resources that will reassure me formula will be fine, especially since it's a supplement for only 2-3 feedings/day a few times a week?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kids have been thriving on formula for decades.

Do you think you could have issues with anxiety? I say that as a person who also does and non snarky. If so, getting help with that is going to help you so much in life.

sheri fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 12, 2018

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Anyway after controlling for education level and income of the parents, there are really no differences in outcomes for babies who were breastfed versus formula fed.

"A recent study in Social Science & Medicine found that many benefits attributed to breastfeeding—from reduced rates of obesity and asthma to higher intelligence—have been overstated. The study compared outcomes among siblings and found no significant difference in 10 of 11 long-term health outcomes between children who were breastfed and those given formula. Most other studies look at children from different families, which makes it difficult to isolate the effects of breastfeeding"

Also read this:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everybody-calm-down-about-breastfeeding/

sheri fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 12, 2018

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

sheri posted:

Do you think you could have issues with anxiety? I say that as a person who also does and noon snarky. If so, getting help with that is going to help you so much in life.

I do actually have issues with anxiety but have been on medication for the last 18 months or so which has made a huge difference.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I lost a baby to formula. Right around 12 months. Never again. Turned right into a toddler

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I'm probably going to be transitioning from breastfeeding to formula in the coming months and I totally get it. I know intellectually that formula is totally fine and my nephews have been on formula and they're all healthy and smart and kids thrive on it in general, and I firmly believe fed is best and even bought formula to the hospital so I could manage it myself if my supply was an issue post delivery, but there is an annoying emotive little "aww but.." hitch about swapping over. Currently just working on clamping down on that nonsense emotive brain noise because I know it will be fine.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

RFX posted:

Someone please convince me formula is fine for my baby. As I mentioned in my last post, my wife is having trouble pumping and is about to go to work. The plan is to breastfeed the baby when my wife is home and have grandma (who is watching the baby) give her formula on days my wife is in the office (about 3 days a week). When I do some nighttime feedings, I am giving her formula as well but I actually feel very guilty about it because I think it's not the best for her.

I understand my wife has the absolute right to make the decision and I am doing the formula feedings, but I'm just having a tough time from an emotional point of view. Can anyone point me to some resources that will reassure me formula will be fine, especially since it's a supplement for only 2-3 feedings/day a few times a week?

From a few pages ago, my anecdotal advice:

VorpalBunny posted:

As a mom who breastfed one kid until 14 months, one kid for 3 months until I realized she wasn't thriving and supplemented for a month before going full formula, then I formula-fed 2 foster babies - there has been no difference in how they've turned out. There is no harm in switching to formula if you guys are stressing so much about pumping and stuff. I just want to reassure you, it is not failure if you decide to move to formula.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
What's the deal with newborn fussiness in the evenings? My 3 week old is pretty much breastfed on demand, and during the day and generally in the middle of the night he feeds like a champ, gets burped and is generally pretty happy and sleeps well. Then 7pm rolls around and all of a sudden he's cluster feeding, but then he falls to pieces and rears back and howls mid-feed - then is frantic to latch back on only to arch his back and scream again.

I can't actually get much food into him during this period by breast or bottle even though he seems hungry. We thought it might be wind or reflux so we've tried giving him small feeds then burping him regularly, feeding him upright and keeping him upright for a decent amount of time after a feed but he is spending about 3 hours a night doing this weird try-to-feed-then-scream-then-try-again-then-scream thing over and over. Then an internal switch flips and he suddenly feeds like normal again and will conk out in exhaustion. I'm going to ask the midwife tomorrow but is this just standard "yes, it is a newborn" fare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Yep, it’s the witching hour. For me it was between 6-10 pm, and I’d regularly have to walk the halls with her in the baby carrier to calm her. I can’t remember when it stopped, maybe 6 or 8 weeks. It wasn’t every night, but some nights were real doozies and every night was cluster feeding.