Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

revmoo posted:

Howwww?

I signed up for that poo poo and literally tried to cancel within minutes because their catalog was barren. Maybe they were having tech issues at the time I don't know.

What I do know (and I just checked my email to confirm) is that they refused to refund me and I ended up having to do a chargeback. They were rude as gently caress to me about it too.

So far I've only had 2 tracks I couldn't find out of the 300 I've tried, but then again it's 99% house music so maybe that's why?

Edit: Welp, I'm at like 30% of replacing poo poo at least :smith:

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When I was on there they didn't have 300 tracks.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I started with 1580 files of my old stuff at bad bitrates, after having gone through BpmSupreme I was able to get 986 of them, found about 30 as free artist downloads as WAV format, and the rest at 50% off on beatport. Plus I've found another 40-50 or so new tracks on BpmSupreme that are really, really good edits.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Well I think I've finally sorted out my library nested folder issue. Also I treated myself to a second pair of CDJs. Can't wait to get my playlists up and running on these babies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mister Speaker posted:

Well I think I've finally sorted out my library nested folder issue. Also I treated myself to a second pair of CDJs. Can't wait to get my playlists up and running on these babies.

That looks fantastic!
I'm currently fighting a problem with too much gear and not enough work surface, and I'm not even close to done collecting stuff yet.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Just curious, for those who aren't liking BPM Supreme, what kind of music do you guys play?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I'll chime in with two things that bugged me for bpm supreme:

1) not enough big name house music artists, especially future house (only 8 don diablo tracks) and bass house (not even a single joyryde or subshock and evangelos track which is criminal). There isn't even one afrojack track and while I was able to find a lot of freely distributed tracks by big names like brohug, they aren't on the record pool which seems bizarre

2) some of the edits are phenomenal...and some are utter trash. Whoever loczi is he sure loves putting up a bazillion edits.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I just searched through it and found a bunch of BROHUG/Afrojack/Joyryde/Don Diablo tracks?

edit: got an email saying benzi of https://www.livedjservice.com is doing an extension of their cyber monday deal. loving amazing deal.

keevo fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 29, 2018

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Djay Pro was down to $25 for black friday, so i picked that up. It's a bit janky in a few places, but for playing around on my home pc, it's fun to be able to drag and drop from spotify

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Where do we talk about samplers?
Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong in the synths thread so I'm gonna start here.

Anywho I'm looking for opinions on the Pioneer Toraiz SP-16 and Akai MPC Live. Mostly related to workflow and how it fits in with your set. I know the device features pretty well but I'm having a hard time getting a feel for how navigating the menus and incorporating it into a live set will work. Specifically how quickly you can sample, slice, make beats, and perform actions so you can get back to spinning discs. I realize a lot of this is the result of familiarity with the device and proficiency with the process but I'm really looking to see how easy it is to pick up and make use out of either of these two devices. Or if you have other suggestions for devices that can quickly and intuitively sample and arrange, I'm open to them.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

keevo posted:

I just searched through it and found a bunch of BROHUG/Afrojack/Joyryde/Don Diablo tracks?

edit: got an email saying benzi of https://www.livedjservice.com is doing an extension of their cyber monday deal. loving amazing deal.

I just checked again today and Joyryde and Afrojack are both on there...my only thought is I mispelled them...twice :smith:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Is Afrojack still a thing in TYOOL 2018??

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Is Afrojack still a thing in TYOOL 2018??

Excuse me sir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPaffVgZ1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVTzSY8nxnc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Well at least he improved somewhat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkSZDWkRob0

(I'm aware this is a Bangkok joke but still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd6hdpEgmpI

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 3, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm considering a Denon x1800 mixer and I'm trying to figure out if it will work for me or not.

Currently I have a Numark NS6II and a few turntables.
I use Serato DJ Pro and was going to buy the DVS expansion.
I received Traktor Pro 3 and a couple Traktor DVS disks as a gift, so now I'm interested in giving that a shot. Unfortunately the NS6II is not Traktor compatible and it's a giant pain in the rear end to map poo poo to still only have a semi-functional controller.
Solution? New gear, of course!
I'm looking to buy a mixer that I can use with Serato, Traktor, and standalone, and I'm considering the x1800 Prime because they're only $1000 right now which seems like a pretty decent deal for what you get.

But I'm having trouble visualizing how this is going to function. The lines between hardware mixer and MIDI-device are too blurred for me to wrap my head around it.
It's not specifically listed as Traktor supported but it's predecessors the x1600 and x1700 are. I'm not buying a traktor controller, so I'll just use DVS for now.
This mixer has USB but that doesn't support MIDI over USB right? Like I won't be able to control any of the functions in Traktor with the mixer itself? Same thing goes for Serato right?
For example, the a/b/thru selector on the mixer won't switch the decks in serato will it? Same thing goes for the touch strip and beat tap button? On the NS6II the tap function will show the BPM in the FX bar in Serato.

Another consideration I'm giving this decision is expandability. I've got 4 turntables now, but I'm thinking I'd like to move to CDJ's in the near future. How are the SC5000 (or SC3900) with regards to Serato/Traktor compatibility? I've found lots of videos of people using them "with serato" but those are just videos of people spinning tracks. I want to know if it can actually control anything in Serato.

Finally and most importantly, how do you all feel about the Denon DJ platform? is it a good system to buy into?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 7, 2018

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It does support MIDI over USB and everything but the mic gains can be mapped. It is entirely self-contained though so you don't really need to do any mapping unless there's a specific functionality you're trying to control from the mixer.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
There's a TSI map for the ns62 or whatever it's called, why not try installing that and seeing what the controller is like in traktor.

The x1800 isn't a traktor DVS interface so you'll need an interface between the decks and the mixer.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
edit: oh, I was wrong. The 750 doesn't support Serato, only rekordbox and Traktor.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

fat gay nonce posted:

There's a TSI map for the ns62 or whatever it's called, why not try installing that and seeing what the controller is like in traktor.

The x1800 isn't a traktor DVS interface so you'll need an interface between the decks and the mixer.
I tried the TSI maps and they don't work at all. Not a single button. :shrug:
Traktor pro 3 supposedly can use ANY soundcard for DVS, provided you use Traktor vinyl. So, I was hoping to use the mixer as my soundcard for the turntables: TT > x1800 > USB to PC

skull mask mcgee posted:

It does support MIDI over USB and everything but the mic gains can be mapped. It is entirely self-contained though so you don't really need to do any mapping unless there's a specific functionality you're trying to control from the mixer.
That's essentially what I was asking, thanks. I didn't realize that it supported MIDI over USB so that's huge.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I tried the TSI maps and they don't work at all. Not a single button. :shrug:
Traktor pro 3 supposedly can use ANY soundcard for DVS, provided you use Traktor vinyl. So, I was hoping to use the mixer as my soundcard for the turntables: TT > x1800 > USB to PC

I didn't know that had changed, in that case yeah the mixer will do what you want. I've not used anything of theirs recently but Denon gear has been pretty robust when I've used it in the past, hopefully someone else will have had some experience.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
new development in my Traktor saga: apparently I'm either completely stupid (most probable) or I actually can't use my NS6II as a DVS interface AND a midi controller for even the crossfader.
Which is really dumb and kinda makes me want to say gently caress Traktor entirely even for just 2 tracks of DVS.

I did manage to get DVS working on it as an audio interface device though. :smith:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Channel one on my Z2 mixer just died out of the blue. I bought it to replace my A6 that also died out of the blue.

I don't want to throw good money after bad. What Serato setup should I buy?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

revmoo posted:

Channel one on my Z2 mixer just died out of the blue. I bought it to replace my A6 that also died out of the blue.

I don't want to throw good money after bad. What Serato setup should I buy?

Did you buy the Z2 new? Even if you didn’t, it might be worth it to contact NI and see if there is anything they can do. I also have a Z2, but haven’t had any issues in the year I have had it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

MrSargent posted:

Did you buy the Z2 new? Even if you didn’t, it might be worth it to contact NI and see if there is anything they can do. I also have a Z2, but haven’t had any issues in the year I have had it.

I bought it new in Aug '15

I've reached out but don't have high hopes. I found an email chain back and forth with them when my A6 died and they didn't do poo poo.

So does serato for real not have auto-beat-maching?

I mean, I came up on vinyl and I can do it but it seems a little archaic at this point.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003

Winner, PWM POTM January

revmoo posted:

I mean, I came up on vinyl and I can do it but it seems a little archaic at this point.

Serato definitely has sync, I think there's an option somewhere to remove it from the screen which may be why you aren't seeing it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That's good. My biggest issue w/ beatmatching is that it takes time away from other mixing activities.

I'm eyeing the DJM-S9 mixer currently. Anybody got one?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Serato supported Pioneer stuff tbh. Also check out the Rane 72. I've owned both Rane and Pioneer gear and I liked them both.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

revmoo posted:

I bought it new in Aug '15

I've reached out but don't have high hopes. I found an email chain back and forth with them when my A6 died and they didn't do poo poo.

Best of luck dude, hope they at least offer something to take the sting away from losing the Z2.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

MrSargent posted:

Best of luck dude, hope they at least offer something to take the sting away from losing the Z2.

Honestly unless they just replace it I'm not throwing any more money at NI.

That Rane unit is bad rear end though. I think I like that better than the Pioneer...

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

revmoo posted:

Honestly unless they just replace it I'm not throwing any more money at NI.

That Rane unit is bad rear end though. I think I like that better than the Pioneer...

Can confirm it's lovely, I had a few doubts after hearing rane got bought out by m group but its at least as good as my sixty one. My only gripe is lack of an analog effect loop but it's a minor one as i'm not doing any live stuff so anything hardware I can use via ableton.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

That's good. My biggest issue w/ beatmatching is that it takes time away from other mixing activities.

I'm eyeing the DJM-S9 mixer currently. Anybody got one?

I have it. I love that mixer. Pretty well built, pads feel good, works great with Serato. I have no complaints.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There a decent guide for Traktor users migrating to Serato?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also,

I'm fuckin distraught about Shure discontinuing needle production. I've got three Shure WHLB heads and I'm down to only a couple spare styli.

Anybody know where I can get like a ten-strip of replacement needles? There's zero on Amazon right now and only five remaining whole cartridges.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

revmoo posted:

Also,

I'm fuckin distraught about Shure discontinuing needle production. I've got three Shure WHLB heads and I'm down to only a couple spare styli.

Anybody know where I can get like a ten-strip of replacement needles? There's zero on Amazon right now and only five remaining whole cartridges.

No, but that really sucks. I've only got a couple M44G's and I'm super glad I didn't buy 4 WHLB's like I planned to.
If you find a good source please share.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No, but that really sucks. I've only got a couple M44G's and I'm super glad I didn't buy 4 WHLB's like I planned to.
If you find a good source please share.

They're totally sold out worldwide. I'm about to eat a $500 loving charge to replace all my carts and spares. loving blows.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just finished my first session spinning with Serato. Wow, what a difference compared to Traktor.

Everything is the same but different. The biggest thing I noticed is that, at least out of the box, Serato doesn't quantize beats the same. I've been running through a home theatre hifi for years (Pioneer Elite VS-32) and it has about half a beat of delay, and always has. In Traktor I was so used to it that I never cared, but Serato Sync is a much different beast. But more responsive. I definitely prefer the Serato way so far, but I'm definitely going to have to figure out this amp situation.

This is really a problem, because I have a 5.1 system that sounds _phenomenal_. I'd rather not replace the receiver but I have a feeling I'm going to have to.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Have a pic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Does the receiver have a 'pure audio' or alike button on it somewhere? Sounds like it's processing the input and that's taking time... which is weird because if there's one place you don't want any audio processing delay it's in an AV receiver where audio has to match perfectly with the picture.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

revmoo posted:

Have a pic.

This is dope. Couldn't tell from the pic but are those Technics turntables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MrSargent posted:

This is dope. Couldn't tell from the pic but are those Technics turntables?

Pioneer.

Also, +1 for the Thinkpad. I'm using an x220 for Serato and it runs beautifully.