Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

maybe we shouldn't put.any stock into what the republican guy with the rape avatar says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RasperFat posted:

lol have you been watching the Republicans at all for the last 30 years?

They will actually make up poo poo about whoever they don’t like and blast it on repeat. They don’t give a poo poo about facts or accurate attacks or anything.

The Republican base is going to hate AoC no matter what. There’s no possible way that you can actually think that her warning Donald “I’ll just tweet out my crimes.txt” Trump Jr. about incoming subpoenas has any real consequences.

Also lol at “She’s not even that popular” to the biggest rising star of young progressives.

This is one of the "why are we taking his advice about anything?" guys. If he's so shook up about AOC being on the offensive it means it's the exact sort of thing that it's fantastic that she's doing.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
lol I keep falling for gimmick accounts

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In terms of damaging to ones party I rate this 0.01 AOC's out of 10

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Do you really not understand that other people, say, Democrats that stayed home on 2016, will be much more likely to believe it when it is not made up?

Do you really not understand that the only people paying attention to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's tweets are her fans and the right-wing hate machine that's so triggered by them?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Imagine giving up your job that pays tens of millions of dollars a year running legitimately the biggest and most profitable enterprise in the history of the world to get poo poo on by a pissbaby all because you really, really wanted to open up the markets to Russian oil, not accomplishing your one goal, and then treated like this.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pander posted:

Yeah, her personal bias against a guy nonstop tweeting memes about her. How dare she.

It's always rad to see people strawman to protect their internal notion of their hero.

She has every right to defend herself and hold a grudge. I desperately want to see her be successful. It's also dumb to indicate to both your party and your enemies that you're totally cool with dangling your power over their heads, for any reason.

Like, I get that everyone wants to see jr indicted and sent to a sewer forever but there's no reason to damage your own credibility for a twitter burn.

quote:

it's always rad to see people who went into a coma starting october 2016 and are just emerging now.

Turn on your monitor etc

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

TRUMP!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
that POTUS tweet looks a lot like a chef rambling after firing his sous and blowing a fat line in the walk-in

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well people were wonder what pants wetting liberals would come up with to hate on AOC for.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

skylined! posted:

It's also dumb to indicate to both your party and your enemies that you're totally cool with dangling your power over their heads, for any reason.

Please specify what kind of power you imagine 29-year-old Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who was working as a bartender a year ago, having in the US government.

Again, I understand the right-wingers falling for the idea that tweets=power because their leader is Trump, but for the life of me I cannot understand why you would think the same thing.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

VorpalBunny posted:

This will go down in history, and I have to explain to my children what the hell happened to this country. This would be hilarious if it wasn't oh so real.

I'm a history nerd and I'm not quite sure how we can explain this other than "poo poo was really dark and crazy"

Like kids are going to think we're making this all up.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

Imagine giving up your job that pays tens of millions of dollars a year running legitimately the biggest and most profitable enterprise in the history of the world to get poo poo on by a pissbaby all because you really, really wanted to open up the markets to Russian oil, not accomplishing your one goal, and then treated like this.

good

I hope Tillerson never experiences one moment of joy in his life again

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skylined! posted:

It's always rad to see people strawman to protect their internal notion of their hero.

She has every right to defend herself and hold a grudge. I desperately want to see her be successful. It's also dumb to indicate to both your party and your enemies that you're totally cool with dangling your power over their heads, for any reason.

Like, I get that everyone wants to see jr indicted and sent to a sewer forever but there's no reason to damage your own credibility for a twitter burn.

Turn on your monitor etc

She was pointing out that Jr has committed many, many crimes. That was the focus. It's only bad if you think he's innocent and didn't do anything that was even worth looking into. If you don't, you're glad she's not on the defensive and is instead holding his feet to the fire

Jesus don't buy into the idiot framing of rape guy

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RasperFat posted:

Also lol at “She’s not even that popular” to the biggest rising star of young progressives.

...to whom the voters of Manhattan and Queens said, "Eh. Ok." Have you not looked at her numbers from the general? You call that excitement? You call that a rising star?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

...to whom the voters of Manhattan and Queens said, "Eh. Ok." Have you not looked at her numbers from the general? You call that excitement? You call that a rising star?

Go away rape guy

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

This is exactly what tariffs are supposed to do, though? This isn't news.

I thought the point of adding tarifs to foreign steel is so that American steel is cheaper and so demand for it goes up, which means they need to produce more and hire more people. Instead American steel companies just raised their prices to match the foreign steel prices. Because there's no new demand, they can just pocket the extra profits. The only people losing out are American businesses that use steel.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Xombie posted:

Please specify what kind of power you imagine 29-year-old Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who was working as a bartender a year ago, having in the US government.

Again, I understand the right-wingers falling for the idea that tweets=power because their leader is Trump, but for the life of me I cannot understand why you would think the same thing.

I don't give a poo poo about the tweet. I don't want to see the behavior become a public-facing trend that overall damages her credibility and limits her chances of moving the party leftward.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

:aaaaa:

How in the hell have we not 25th’d this moron yet?

Also lol at anyone who ever thought it was a good idea to join this administration. They are all going to end with their legacies as jokes and/or in jail. It’s amazing to watch Trump keep backstabbing over and over but the bootlicker keep lining up to debase themselves anyways.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Vigo The Carpathian but he just sits on a throne of the careers of old white men

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Wow, that rape guy really stirred you all up.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skylined! posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the tweet. I don't want to see the behavior become a public-facing trend that overall damages her credibility and limits her chances of moving the party leftward.

Jr is a criminal, though. It would be bad she wanted to target random people for no reason. Since she wants to target criminals, it's good!

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

skylined! posted:

She is not, in any sense, in the position to be actually moving the party anywhere yet. In the government, she doesn't have any credibility. She has never held an elected office in government.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

LMAO

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

JasonV posted:

I thought the point of adding tarifs to foreign steel is so that American steel is cheaper and so demand for it goes up, which means they need to produce more and hire more people. Instead American steel companies just raised their prices to match the foreign steel prices. Because there's no new demand, they can just pocket the extra profits. The only people losing out are American businesses that use steel.
Maybe that's what President Toadstool Dick thought would happen (it isn't - he didn't give it even that level of thought) but that's not how tariffs work. A tariff on steel is there to protect the steel industry at the expense of other industries - it's the whole point of it.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You mean the numbers that showed a +8 Dem shift from 2016?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I'm beginning to think Trump might be all that bright you guys

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Is that dipshit's first tweet to get ratio'd?

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

wait until anti-cyberbully Melania hears about this!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Rape guy is upset because AOC is tough on crime. Also, just ignore him, it's not that hard to tell he's a complete idiot.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Critical posted:

Is that dipshit's first tweet to get ratio'd?

Oh god no.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1071137136722829312?s=19

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lemming posted:

Go away rape guy

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Lemming posted:

Jr is a criminal, though. It would be bad she wanted to target random people for no reason. Since she wants to target criminals, it's good!

I still don't agree with the tactic. I don't see the value in announcing your willingness to suppress your antagonists with your political power.

Xombie posted:

She is not, in any sense, in the position to be actually moving the party anywhere yet.

This is observably false.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

skylined! posted:

I still don't agree with the tactic. I don't see the value in announcing your willingness to suppress your antagonists with your political power.

She is not calling for their immediate imprisonment, she is calling for an investigation into their obvious crimes.

You're thinking of the GOP.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/lourubyphillips/status/1071138400080674816?s=21

Lol goldmine

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

skylined! posted:

She doesn't have any meaningful political power to wield.

quote:

This thread and RWM obsessing over her tweets is not actual Democratic party influence.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

skylined! posted:

You still get to hold people who don't like you accountable for crimes.

Seriously. She's not calling out "antagonists." She's talking about someone who is a criminal. It's not a generic thing. If the situation was different it could be bad, but it's not different. He's a criminal who is going to get subpoenaed by the House because he should be because he's a criminal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1071137104657334274?s=19

Also idiots showing their rear end to get tweet are already being burned.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1071138308871340033?s=19

Lol this Republican "journalist" couldn't resist calling her a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

cochise posted:

I'm a history nerd and I'm not quite sure how we can explain this other than "poo poo was really dark and crazy"

Like kids are going to think we're making this all up.

“Capitalism forced the powerful companies and oligarchs that could previously exploit other countries to start turning those means of exploitation onto the Metropol to maintain an expectation of constant financial accumulation, and due to the enormously shriveled capacity for class analysis or meaningful examination of capital among the majority of the most popular thinkers and leaders of the day, average citizens had no model to use to explain their decreasing fortunes and increasing anxieties. At the same time, information technology incorporated new psychological techniques to influence human behavior, the artifacts of which increased anxiety, distraction and a sense of powerlessness to change the material conditions of their lives, and to explain the atomization and anomie of their lives. Because of the dearth of coherent explanations for the widening gap between the life experiences of the haves vs the have nots coupled with a national myth that laid blame for their material wants as individual failings, average citizens were unable to reason themselves out of the bind of doing poorly but not knowing how to meaningfully blame themselves as the myth demanded, only enhancing the alienation they felt.”