Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that well's bone dry and yet they keep going back to it again and again thinking they're clever.
It pretty much ruins the ending of Arkham City.

Batman, literally no one on earth gives a gently caress that you didn't stop a genocidal terrorist wizard from killing a concentration camp commandant and committing suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Batman, literally no one on earth gives a gently caress that you didn't stop a genocidal terrorist wizard from killing a concentration camp commandant and committing suicide.

I wonder if it's not like how every X-writer needs to do Their Phoenix story, ever person with access of Batman needs to do Why Batman Doesn't Kill, although that seems like justification only (most non-comic writers need to "explore."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah but doesn't he know he's going to die in that?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

SonicRulez posted:

The Flash doesn't spend 100% of his time running at light speed and solving all crime in Gotham because that would suck.

That was a real good issue of The Kingdom though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SonicRulez posted:

All the Spider-Man games have some line about the Fantastic 4 being in another dimension or some poo poo and it's just....you don't have to do that.
i always liked those because in the comics they pretty much always were in some other dimension.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

i always liked those because in the comics they pretty much always were in some other dimension.

yeah that feels more like a running joke than trying to spackle over "why isn't anyone else trying to stop this"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ghostlight posted:

It's cute sometimes, but in the newest game they do some variation for that with The Avengers and it's silly. Web of Shadows just threw Wolverine and a few other heroes into the story and didn't mention the ones it didn't. That's really good enough.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

It's cute sometimes, but in the newest game they do some variation for that with The Avengers and it's silly.

Yeah Spider-Man mentions they're on the west coast. Which is a cute nod to the West Coast Avengers, but really raises the question of what the gently caress could be so bad on the west coast that they can't head back to NYC to deal with (Spidey PS4 spoilers) multiple terror attacks, including one with a madman unleashing a potential global pandemic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's like a regular Tuesday tho

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Did Fisk ever come up against Hulk?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bessantj posted:

Haven't done more than a pretty cursory look, but I don't think so. Maybe in one of the weird marvel crossover events. Or in some what if type stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TwoPair posted:

Yeah Spider-Man mentions they're on the west coast. Which is a cute nod to the West Coast Avengers, but really raises the question of what the gently caress could be so bad on the west coast that they can't head back to NYC to deal with (Spidey PS4 spoilers) multiple terror attacks, including one with a madman unleashing a potential global pandemic

Probably reshoots for endgame.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

Well, there was a TV movie with the Bixby/Ferrigno version of the Hulk teaming up with Daredevil against the Kingpin, but even then I don't remember the Hulk directly fighting Fisk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The real question is why Squirrel Girl never helps.

Trick question: the games would be over in minutes!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Probably reshoots for endgame.

:yosnice:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

This is an established Spider-Man. They know he can handle it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SonicRulez posted:

It's cute sometimes, but in the newest game they do some variation for that with The Avengers and it's silly. Web of Shadows just threw Wolverine and a few other heroes into the story and didn't mention the ones it didn't. That's really good enough.
oh yeah, I specifically meant I liked the Fantastic Four excuses because they were always buggering off and they were a lot more embedded in New York and Spider-man than the Avengers were. The Avengers you should just ignore because then you have to start running down the list and accounting for every single group.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not only was the Fantastic Four often away from home, sometimes their home was also missing.

The Baxter Building could be underground, in space, or over in Latveria and I know Four Freedoms Plaza was obliterated at least once.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
All that mustve tanked the property value on it because apparently four d list nobodies own it now, which youd think would be hard to do with a downtown Manhattan skyscraper

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

All that mustve tanked the property value on it because apparently four d list nobodies own it now, which youd think would be hard to do with a downtown Manhattan skyscraper

Clearly Marvel universe Manhattan real estate is different. After all, Spider-Man can afford to live there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

At one point the government just gave it to the Thunderbolts, which the FF were not thrilled with when they came back.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Halloween Jack posted:

I can see that. But if you're reading Batman and asking questions like "Couldn't Batman call the Flash and ask him to defeat every criminal in Arkham singlehandedly in five minutes?" that's more of an issue with the Flash.

This happened to me while watching Daredevil season 3 on Netflix.

Early on someone asks Matt why he doesn't call the other Defenders to stop Wilson Fisk.

And it's a fair question. The point of the Defenders was that they could put aside who to do the greater good.
And as much of a master manipulator the Kingpin was, a super strong PI, a Bullet Proof man and a Kung-Fu billionaire should walk through all his bullshit and slap him down*.

But I suppose the real reason is if Matt did that, then I don't get to watch the whole Born Again "Daredevil vs Kingpin" war.

*= Then again Luke Cage spent two seasons fighting low rent Kingpins. Maybe the real deal might be too much for him.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

At one point the government just gave it to the Thunderbolts, which the FF were not thrilled with when they came back.

In fairness, it wasn't just the Government who did that. The team asked An 8 year old, Franklin Richards if they could stay there and he said yes.

This is why kids don't get to make impoetant decisions.

And why you ask for a deposit. (Zemo blew up the building on the way out.)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Has Spider Gwen ever fought Spider Man?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

Has Spider Gwen ever fought Spider Man?

I don't believe so. She first encounters other Spider-Men and Women during Spider-Verse, and there's not even a 'let's fight oh wait we're on the same side.' She fought her world's Peter Parker, but that was because he was also her world's Lizard.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Not only was the Fantastic Four often away from home, sometimes their home was also missing.

The Baxter Building could be underground, in space, or over in Latveria and I know Four Freedoms Plaza was obliterated at least once.

Didn't Doom once get Namor to attach a rocket to the Baxter Building that made it fly to Latveria? Or am I mixing up several different stories? I don't know why he needed Namor to do it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

Didn't Doom once get Namor to attach a rocket to the Baxter Building that made it fly to Latveria? Or am I mixing up several different stories? I don't know why he needed Namor to do it.

He made it fly into space. It was a good issue.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

prefect posted:

Don't know much FF history, just picked up bits and pieces about their two buildings over the years. FF Plaza being obliterated comes up in the infamous issue of Spider-Man where he goes Worldstar on Firelord's rear end.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

Don't know much FF history, just picked up bits and pieces about their two buildings over the years. FF Plaza being obliterated comes up in the infamous issue of Spider-Man where he goes Worldstar on Firelord's rear end.

This is a hilarious way to describe this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lobok posted:

It was the Baxter Building that had been recently destroyed in that story. FF Plaza was the building they constructed on the site after Kristoff copied Doom's plan from FF#5 but put a bomb in the building this time. Then after the Thunderbolts destroyed FF Plaza they built Pier Four and then after that was destroyed they rebuilt the Baxter Building.

Basically, what I'm saying is don't rent to the Fantastic Four.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

The Question IRL posted:

This happened to me while watching Daredevil season 3 on Netflix.

Early on someone asks Matt why he doesn't call the other Defenders to stop Wilson Fisk.

And it's a fair question. The point of the Defenders was that they could put aside who to do the greater good.
And as much of a master manipulator the Kingpin was, a super strong PI, a Bullet Proof man and a Kung-Fu billionaire should walk through all his bullshit and slap him down*.

But I suppose the real reason is if Matt did that, then I don't get to watch the whole Born Again "Daredevil vs Kingpin" war.

*= Then again Luke Cage spent two seasons fighting low rent Kingpins. Maybe the real deal might be too much for him.

I suppose there's a timeline question. If Daredevil takes place after the series that came before it, I can see why he wouldn't want to ask Danny, Luke, or Jessica.

He really should've asked Frank.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm like 80% certain in one of the comics the FF mention they can't even get their buildings insured.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Poor Firelord. He just came looking for delicious Earth pizza.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Random Stranger posted:

It was the Baxter Building that had been recently destroyed in that story.

Ah, I thought FF Plaza was built much earlier. In my mind the hole left by the building when Spider-Man is looking at it from afar seems so big, like a modern (well, in the 80s) skyscraper.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm like 80% certain in one of the comics the FF mention they can't even get their buildings insured.

I remember from very early on they showed how the Baxter Building was laid out inside and it had a rocket/space ship that launched from inside it.

So yeah. And you thought your neighbours were annoying...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is don't rent to the Fantastic Four.

One of the first things Byrne did when he was writing FF in the 80s was get rid of the landlord character, who I believe had been a recurring nuisance for most of the 1970s at least, in an issue where he goes to complain to Sue about supervillains damaging his property and she reacts by writing him a cheque and buying the building outright.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What are pre-Nu52 Alan Scott and Jay Garrick up to? Do they coexist now with their Nu52 Earth-2 versions? Are either in any books right now?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

What are pre-Nu52 Alan Scott and Jay Garrick up to? Do they coexist now with their Nu52 Earth-2 versions? Are either in any books right now?

Not existing. It's strongly hinted at that they'll be coming back as part of or after Doomsday Clock, but that keeps getting pushed back so maybe they'll be back by 2020?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schneider Heim posted:

Alan Scott and Jay Garrick have both appeared in the Watchmen / DC storyline, with Manhattan being directly responsible for their wider absence.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schneider Heim posted:

Alan appeared in an issue of the flash but he does not have an anchor so he is just in the speed force right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Can I get a rundown on New 52 vs Rebirth Superman? As I understand it, New 52 Clark wasn't really Superman, but was something else? And then the current (Rebirth) Superman was actually pre-52 Superman, come back with Lois and John in tow? And if that's the case, does that mean that there are now 2 Lois Lanes running around?