Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It feels like forever since we've had a governor go down. I'd like to see Rauner or Quinn do some time but if not I feel very good about our odds with JB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It would be amazing if this led to Madigan getting thrown out.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/paschutz/status/1067869785780834304

eta lolol

https://twitter.com/me3dia/status/1067873941161680896

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 30, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like there has to be a better way to get people on the ballot. Aren't most of these bad signatures just people campaigns hire and pay by the signature who just make poo poo up?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Should have bought the 'change your handwriting' option with that package.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Same guy's timeline has pics of Brown, Preckwinkle & Chico specious-looking petitions.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Brown's is pretty dang good:

:monocle: that almost all sigs switched signed names with printed names.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 30, 2018

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

it almost makes me wonder if, like, campaigns send people to volunteer for other campaigns and then submit lots of fake sigs.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I wondered that, too.

In other news, someone on r/chicago pointed out that Burke's law firm wasn't raided today, only his aldermanic offices, so it's less likely a Trump dealio the feds are investigating and more likely yer run-of-the-mill Chicago antics.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/beckyvevea/status/1068217980230795264

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I feel like there has to be a better way to get people on the ballot. Aren't most of these bad signatures just people campaigns hire and pay by the signature who just make poo poo up?

The field staff are supposed to go through the sheets to make sure the signatures are good. The party even has a program to check signatures online so they don't have to go to the Board of Elections.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I didn't realize Chicago had a personification of its id hangin' around city hall.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Willa Rogers posted:

Brown's is pretty dang good:

:monocle: that almost all sigs switched signed names with printed names.

eh I could see if the first person on the list messed up that everyone after that would just follow the pattern above

probably fake sigs though

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Oracle posted:

I didn't realize Chicago had a personification of its id hangin' around city hall.

its like american gods

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

he's got my vote

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Basically pensions have to be honored as written but should cease to exist in the future.

Hasn't this already happened? I don't see any mention of Pensions in the State of Illinois recruitment pitches I've gotten, and some family members who work for the state say told me it's pretty much only deferred comp for new workers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
State workers who signed on after 2011 got turbo hosed.

The difference between Tier 1 retirement(people who joined before 2011) and tier 2(1/1/2011) is almost criminal.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

State workers who signed on after 2011 got turbo hosed.

The difference between Tier 1 retirement(people who joined before 2011) and tier 2(1/1/2011) is almost criminal.

That's assuming they won't find a way to screw over the pre-2011 people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oracle posted:

That's assuming they won't find a way to screw over the pre-2011 people.

They are in a constant state of trying to buy out Tier 1 members. I don't think they can actually do anything forcibly to them until a concon.

https://www.srs.illinois.gov/PDFILES/Fact%20Sheets/Accelerated%20Pension%20Benefit%20Payment.pdf

lol

I'm a tier 2 member so gently caress everything.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you explain the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2? Genuinely curious.

Also, is it literally just deferred comp now, i.e. not even any 401K equivalent?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Some googling showed that Tier 2 is still a DB plan with the same credit per service year as Tier 1, but has a higher full-retirement age, a lower COLA, and a less generous calculation of final earnings.

It's a benefit cut compared to Tier 1 but at its core it's still a defined benefit pension plan.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

In fairness, the way the state did COLA was completely hosed up and should have been changed for the new pensions. It makes me wonder if Thompson or the other people in government back then could pass a high school economics course.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chuu posted:

Can you explain the difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2? Genuinely curious.

Also, is it literally just deferred comp now, i.e. not even any 401K equivalent?

Here's a good breakdown:
https://www.ctpf.org/tier-1-vs-tier-2-pensions

my wife missed qualifying for Tier 1 by 1 month :negative:

I guess the one increase in Tier 2 is survivors' benefits?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
College kid tries to run for 13th Ward Alderman and gets 1700 petition signatures. Opponents impressively get 2700 people to sign affidavits revoking their signatures for his petition.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-chicago-13th-ward-alderman-race-kass-20181206-story.html

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

:thunk:

That seems insanely dumb and unnecessary on the part of the 13th Ward people.

If you can't beat some loving 19 year old conservative rear end in a top hat then you should hold that L

Though that tribune article is hilarious and extremely sensationalist nonsense.

1. He didn't file all of his signatures.

2. Also since they wouldn't have any info on his signatures, they likely only had the areas he was canvassing and went around asking people if they signed a petition for dude and then asked if they would sign an revocation. People have garbage memories, or have likely signed a ton of petitions for politicians this time frame.

Unless it's found out they were faking signatures, and otherwise lying or some poo poo. which would be sensationally dumb.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah, that's trash. Most likely it's just people being like, I signed tons of them. This kid is obviously a loving moron, of course I should revoke my signature (even if I actually didn't sign for him)

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well it’s John Kass and not a real news article, hence the sensationalist trash. Impressive none the less.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

On one hand it's funny to see this dweeb get owned. On the other, election fraud is bad.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

In other news, I saw my first ad for mayor today by Bill Daley. Shoot me now, we got a whole month off.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Dexo posted:

2. Also since they wouldn't have any info on his signatures, they likely only had the areas he was canvassing and went around asking people if they signed a petition for dude and then asked if they would sign an revocation. People have garbage memories, or have likely signed a ton of petitions for politicians this time frame.

You get a week to review your opponents' signatures, so they had his list.

They might have done it because if conservative gets on and suddenly gets a 2 million dollar donation from Rauner, Ken Griffin, or Dick Uhlein he has a chance to win.

Niwrad posted:

Why would anyone pay for a subscription to the Tribune anymore?

https://twitter.com/CTGuild/status/1071149285289459714

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Good thing we have an Attorney General that isn't interested much in fighting corruption (everyone in IL politics is super corrupt): https://chicago.suntimes.com/featur...ySxh8ChrnruwwgQ

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/1073598497671208960

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Didn’t realize Rauner tried to drop out, that’s hilarious:

https://twitter.com/illnewsnetwork/status/1073573168105836544

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
God, billionaires really are the biggest babies.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wait, doesn't that imply Rauner likes Pritzker better than he likes Ives? Since he didn't bow out and let her run even though he didn't want to?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LLSix posted:

Wait, doesn't that imply Rauner likes Pritzker better than he likes Ives? Since he didn't bow out and let her run even though he didn't want to?
Nobody likes Ives.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LLSix posted:

Billionaires look after each other, so yes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

dwarf74 posted:

Nobody likes Ives.

Nazis do. Nazis aren't people, though, I get that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yes, if only Republicans had gone farther to the right in Illinois this year, they would have performed better. Is Ives the dumbest politician in this state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"You can't fire me, I quit!"