Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I really like how that art looks in the new frame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Some Numbers posted:

I really like how that art looks in the new frame:

I prefer the old frame, and I also like how the hosed up colors on Urza's Block cards lets me have some blue islands, some purple islands, and some reddish-purple islands.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1488547#paper

Horror should be swapped to a third Map, a 25th land, or move a Moment's Peace in from the board if you want to make room in the board for something. Or just play Horror because it makes your better matchups even better and is also great in the mirror.

i feel like 50% of my wins would be timeouts if i didn't have access to horror

you had a u/w bounceland in some of your other lists i saw, are you off that for now?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

i feel like 50% of my wins would be timeouts if i didn't have access to horror

you had a u/w bounceland in some of your other lists i saw, are you off that for now?

The Bounceland would be my 25th land. I dunno if I'd want a third Map or the 25th land, but the Horror isn't necessary if you play ludicrously fast like I can. It does make wins a lot faster, and it's great in the mirror, and man does it mess up some of the decks you already crush.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stonehorn Tron shall now be known as The Embassy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm torn between my hatred of Tron and my hatred of G/W Slivers

That's a hilarious board state though :v:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I really love playing slivers in pauper, since it is just the most fun braindead binary of winning vs losing. No complexity, just playing by the numbers fun time.

But then you play the mirror, and that is absolute hell.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I really love playing slivers in pauper, since it is just the most fun braindead binary of winning vs losing. No complexity, just playing by the numbers fun time.

But then you play the mirror, and that is absolute hell.

Seems pretty simple to me - whoever attacks first loses, unless one player drew so many more creatures than the other that the attack is lethal.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
shouts out to all the tireless tribe players who let me resolve crop rotation for some loving reason

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

shouts out to all the tireless tribe players who let me resolve crop rotation for some loving reason

I just Teachings for Flicker at the end of my Tribe opponent's turn, they then tapped out to try to Gigadrowse 3 things. I had a Wall in play already so I just....flickered my Quicksand and a colored mana source, and they conceded.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I just Teachings for Flicker at the end of my Tribe opponent's turn, they then tapped out to try to Gigadrowse 3 things. I had a Wall in play already so I just....flickered my Quicksand and a colored mana source, and they conceded.

game two my opponent decided that his best post-board plan would not be to save one of their 20 counterspells for crop rotation, but instead to go with the seeker of the way plan, which is sort of like tireless tribe but i take 4 damage instead of 25 if I tap out for a bunch of card draw spells

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

game two my opponent decided that his best post-board plan would not be to save one of their 20 counterspells for crop rotation, but instead to go with the seeker of the way plan, which is sort of like tireless tribe but i take 4 damage instead of 25 if I tap out for a bunch of card draw spells

Dude, someone almost got me with that plan when they played Seekers on turn 2, 3, and 4. They didn't actually get me, but they almost got me. They also wasted 3 counterspells trying to protect their Seeker plan, which allowed me to lock them without even needing to counter back.

What a bad plan.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Would stifle be okay in pauper if they for some reason downshifted it to common?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

Would stifle be okay in pauper if they for some reason downshifted it to common?

Yeah probably.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

The only place it would be problematic is making multicolored decks even worse by making Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse unplayable into blue Mana.

Serious talk, stifle should've been white.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Foil is broken and has broken Pauper.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm shocked

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

FoW is good in all commons? Weird.

Should I buy them or expect it to be banned?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

would you believe that this is totally unsearchable on mtgowikiprice, lmao

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just checking, but Foil is mostly just played in Tribe, right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

FoW is good in all commons? Weird.

Should I buy them or expect it to be banned?

they're like .3 tix on Goatbots just get them

Some Numbers posted:

Just checking, but Foil is mostly just played in Tribe, right?

No because Tribe cares about its hand size, it's broken in Familiars and Kiln Fiend though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp went out and tried Familiars and Kiln Fiend, both decks are broken and since I could double queue, I figured I'd go see what's going on in the Friendly Leagues -

oh okay then

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what on earth is the idea there

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what on earth is the idea there

Some sort of Faithless Looting flashback deck, based around Battle Screech and Rally the Peasants, but also with Seeker, Squadron Hawk, Deep Analysis, Springleaf Drum, Bolt, and Nivix Cyclops just hanging out. Truly a bizarre deck.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hellsau posted:

Some sort of Faithless Looting flashback deck, based around Battle Screech and Rally the Peasants, but also with Seeker, Squadron Hawk, Deep Analysis, Springleaf Drum, Bolt, and Nivix Cyclops just hanging out. Truly a bizarre deck.

That sounds very similar to something I just saw in the Top 8 of the last Rags to Riches, called Boros Bully: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20690&d=336384&f=PAU

Can I get your Familiars list?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

That sounds very similar to something I just saw in the Top 8 of the last Rags to Riches, called Boros Bully: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=20690&d=336384&f=PAU

Can I get your Familiars list?

If the Boros decks drop their burn and move towards that tokens build, Tron gets another autowin matchup. It's shocking how bad the matchup is for the Boros side, since they have a slow clock with little interaction and limited reach.

My Familiars list is still a work in progress, but here's what I'll be running next:

https://pastebin.com/BzDcRp32

I tried a version with Sage's Row Denizen for the immediate kill and remembered exactly why I stopped bothering with Denizen - Horror is good enough. I tried having all the Stonehorns in the side and just having a Strands as maindeck combat blockage, but I think Stonehorn makes so many matchups trivial that it's good maindeck, and it can always just get tossed to a Foil. Foil is busted and probably should be a 3-of, but it needs fuel, and it's too tough to fit in more Deep Analysis and more Foils without more testing.

Foil is stupid and needs to be banned immediately. Also ban Delver, Tron, Probe, Gush, Flicker and Rancor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Playing Foil when both players are tapped out feels dirty.

Hitting a Soul Manipulation that's targeting a Mnemonic Wall feels dirtier.

Following that up with Flicker targeting two Dinrova Horrors and hitting their Angler feels like winning.

Making them disconnect feels amazing.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 8, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Playing Foil when both players are tapped out feels dirty.

Hitting a Soul Manipulation that's targeting a Mnemonic Wall feels dirtier.

Following that up with Flicker targeting two Dinrova Horrors and hitting their Angler feels like winning.

Making them disconnect feels amazing.

i'm calling the police

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gush into Foil has me seriously rethinking my commitment to Pauper.

:golfclap:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gush is surely not long for this world. The card is too stupid and enables decks that are too stupid. Again, there's a reason Gush is banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The entire format would be so much better if Gush, Gitaxian Probe and Ghostly Flicker were banned.

It would improve even further if every other Phyrexian mana card was banned afterward.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ban Delver, Gush, Probe, Tron, Flicker, Rancor, and Foil.

Foil is added onto the list because even if they ban Gush, it's still too stupid in Familiars or other decks with a strong proactive gameplan with lots of card advantage.

also maybe don't only downshift good blue cards wotc, blue doesn't need help in pauper

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jesus christ

4 for 4, got blown out by Delver decks running probe/gush/foil in the last hour in the "just for fun" queue

wotc fix pauper please

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey dudes jumping back into pauper on mtgo after a while off, is mono u delver a decent deck to get a hang of the current meta with? I don't think I've got dazes online but have everything else. There's a bunch of different builds on goldfish, any consensus on the best one?

Last time i was playing i kept getting super frustrated playing against decks that could just flicker forever, what is a good deck against those (tron/farmiliars)?

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 16, 2018

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Burn? Thermo-Alchemists with Ghitu Lavarunners, try running Thunderous Wraths with Magma Jet as well? Make sure they don't hit Pulse of Murasa and you'll win.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Lavarunner is garbage because it makes none of your matchups better and gives you an absolutely hideous topdeck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

field balm posted:

Hey dudes jumping back into pauper on mtgo after a while off, is mono u delver a decent deck to get a hang of the current meta with? I don't think I've got dazes online but have everything else. There's a bunch of different builds on goldfish, any consensus on the best one?

Last time i was playing i kept getting super frustrated playing against decks that could just flicker forever, what is a good deck against those (tron/farmiliars)?

u/b and u/r have been more popular lately but mono blue it still viable

mono blue has a strong matchup against tron, you have lots of countermagic and no tapped lands to slow down your development. less sure about familiars since there's no removal.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I played against UB Delver 5 times in 6 rounds, going 3-2 against it (plus a Tribe that I swiftly crushed). Hampuse1, playing Stonehorn, went 2-0 against UB Delver.

Amoras27 played against UB Delver 6 out of 6 rounds.

maybe they should loving ban delver gush probe tron flicker rancor and foil

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Angler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ban broken blue cards first